Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday 21 May

Good morning!

Another day in L'Artisan DZING! for me.

Have a t'riffic Thursday, all.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Thursday 21 May

Testing Laura Mercier Neroli.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 21 May

Dominique Ropion's GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A new kind of freshness. Fabulous !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Testing DZONGKHA by L'Artisan

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Caron L'Anarchiste

Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Mandarin
    Middle Notes: Cedar Leaves, Sandal, Vetiver, Cedarwood
    Base Notes: Musk

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm wearing L'Artisan's Dzonghka (Do you like it, Paula?)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Constant thunderboomers and lightening strikes all around along with wind driven rain from 2:00AM to 4:30AM. Sleeping not a possibility so I just listened and watched the bedroom walls reflect the show. The rain was welcome. Creed Himalaya today.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

L'Ananas Fizz - L'Artisan
    Wishlist is pointless.

Gucci Rush
    Last edited by Jasper; 21st May 2009 at 11:03 AM.

The third day in a row in L'Artisan, only today it is Mimosa pour Moi -- lively and delicate mimosa fragrance reminding me of tiny yellow furballs so popular in Southern Europe in March (not the fuzzy long threads white and pink in color from a tree known as "mimosa" somewhere, say, in Arkansas).

It was hot these past two days here in the Land of Sioux -- up to 94F -- however, with relatively low humidity and cooling winds it was tolerable. We are expecting to have clouds and possibly storms today -- we need them, I planted parsley and sweet basil. Oh yeah, and tonight I am going to make a rhubarb pie from the stalks growing right here in the back yard, will report.

Enjoy your day, all!

Giving a first wearing to Parfums MDCI Un Cœur en Mai

A green, juicy take on a floral scent. The delicate opening slowly reaches a more spicy balance between flowers, fruits and wood. Full-bodied but not at all too complex.

Patricia de Nicolaï strikes again!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Kbe: "thunderboomers" what a great word!!! Please can I adopt it?

Dimi: tell me true - quite how fab-you-lerse does the Armani smell? Is it gorgeous or just OK? Do I need to start searching out a bottle? You can tell me, it's OK. I won't actually knock any little old ladies down as I rush to the shop to smell it.

Me? well I'm in CK Secret Obsession. That's because I have a little theory about it, which I'd like to share with you for group pondering. I think Secret Obsession is a Feminite du Bois knock-off. I was sniffing and sniffing the atomiser the other night (what, you mean you don't sit there and sniff you bottles while watching TV?), trying to work out what it reminded me of. Then it hit me: red fruit and wood, that's FdB. Aha!

So I'm wearing it today to test my theory and waddya know? First few minutes it's a dead ringer for FdB, I swear. But I am not overkeen on FdB anymore - I find it too big, too radiant and too loud - I actually prefer Bourdon's reworking in Dolce Vita and think it works better as a baseline. Here though, it's been used as a melody, with some woody musks as a base and some of that strange salty note shared by Eau des Merveilles, Lolita Lempicka and Gres Cabaret, to cut the sweetness. I find it immensely wearable. Just when I am starting to tire of the big fruit and wood opening, the salt cuts in and saves it, plus it wears close to the skin and doesn't do that massive radiant thing I struggle with with FdB. Plus it's a damn sight cheaper. A good result all round as far as I'm concerned.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

ROBERTO, I have bottle envy.

After a great evening in Fenway last night it is back to work this morning.
    Looking forward to meeting a BNer after work.

Patou Ma Liberte

I grew up in South Florida and used to regularly ride my bike down to South Beach as a young child in the 70's. During that time the Art Deco buildings were crumbling and you could see the remaining glory in what was, as it was all falling apart. Why am I starting a perfume review with a reminiscence on Art Deco? Jean Patou as a House reminds me of that decaying neglected Art Deco South Beach of my youth. Patou has made so many amazing scents beyond Joy you just want someone to pick up this House and turn it into the perfume version of South Beach today and make it relevant again. The last good new release from Patou was 1987's Ma Liberte designed by Jean Kerleo. Ma Liberte is an example of what I think is an excellent unisex scent. At the top there is a livley heliotrope which is cut by citrus. This leads to a heart that starts with lavender and is joined by jasmine and light spices. There are hints of clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon all throughout this stage. The base is a pitch perfect balance of earthy patchouli, creamy sandalwood and clean cedar. Ma Liberte shows that Patou given over to the right hands could be as relevant and as adored as any House out there. South Beach turned around on the twin influences of fashion photographers shooting haute couture against the decaying deco and Miami Vice. I don't know what it will take to save Patou but Ma Liberte makes me wish very hard for it to happen.

Have a Thoughtful Thursday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Donna Karan Gold edp.

Gotta clean the house, company's coming for a week.

Happy Thursday!

Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus

I'm in my latest bumper fruity chypre: Balmain de Balmain.

Alexis Carrington, eat your heart out! Yeah!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Wolfie - your spirit is AMAZing. And I'd already started my daily scent adventure in roses when your Mimosa post made me want to track down my samples of MPM and Kenzo and live in acacia for the day.

Coco - I been meaning to compliment you on yet ANOTHER adorable avatar. (My fave is still the bunny fanny with the fishnet stockings) - how they brighten the day. :bounce:

Still recuperating from the lo-o-o-o-o-ong physical and emotional journey of the weekend and headed for my weekly massage therapy I decided I needed roses, so am starting with
    and after massage (with the same oil!!) will probably augment with YR's Rose Absolue.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

SotD is Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes. My husband's favorite, he can't get enough of that scent on me. Wore Parfum Sacre to bed, because it makes me feel wrapped up and cozy. That one is my bedtime scent. Just ordered two more Ava Luxe frags: Madame X and Heart of Glass. I can't wait until they get here! My tiny collection is slowly growing! I need more samples so I can find some more. Have a beautiful day everyone! Sending out wishes of love and happiness your way and may all your hearts desires be granted to every one of you...

Week's almost over, Yeeehaw!

Last nights SOTE was 1000. I do like the drydown much, but kind of a wonky topnote. Very old-school stuff.

SOTD: Jil Sanders Scent 79. Wow, what a great experience! Whodathunk that fruit and galbanum could work so well together! Was expecting sweeter fruit, and was glad it wasn't.
    This is a keeper, for sure.

I do like the fruit in Azzaro Couture. Not too sweet or cloying , and that slight mango is fantastic. Another new fav.

Still trying to devise a rotation system that works for me. Don't like to be dogmatic about wearing perfume, but when I do it randomly, some get neglected. I want all my scents to feel my love and attention equally! Wow, that sounds strange.....

Sunnyfunny - nice to meet another vegetarian!

Twolf, I'd die for a piece of your rhubarb pie today!

Hot damn, don't we all smell good!
    Last edited by Lessa; 21st May 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Brain has not had coffee yet
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Been sampling some dogs lately, so I've chosen one that's my pure heaven:

A La Nuit by Serge Lutens

Wordie ~ I feel the same about Secret Obsession, and mentioned it in a review a long time ago! Glad to know my nose isn't broken!

Yesterday's and today's SotD alike is/was Safran Troublant from a generous sample sent to me by darling Haunani. *Smooch*
    ST is rising on my wishlist, I fear.

I'm in a smoochable mood, so take one, anyone who wants one. They're free.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Hello everybody Yesterday I ended up on a concert with a friend....and also ended up on an afterparty until early this morning It was fun,but I'm quite sleepy now! Sotd is Bois d'iris.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 21st May 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Memoire Liquide - Hommage

I see this house is getting a bit more love on the blogs of late. I can see why. All of the perfumes I've tried smell nice and are long-wearing.

Hommage is supposed to be a frankincense / myrrh / amber / musk / sandalwood scent.

My nose - citrus / herbs / patchouli / healthy lick of vanilla.

Either my nose is super-wonky, my scent memory is completely off or this really smells nothing like the listed notes.

Still smells nice - though the patchouli / amber base in this one goes a tad sour on my skin after an hour.

My thoughts on the rest of the Memoire Liquide line (at least the ones I've tried) are here.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Yesterday's and today's SotD alike is/was Safran Troublant from a generous sample sent to me by darling Haunani. *Smooch*
    ST is rising on my wishlist, I fear.

I'm in a smoochable mood, so take one, anyone who wants one. They're free.
    -I'm gettin' in line!

Sotd is Tann Rokka Aki.

Have a lovely day, all! xxxooo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Twolf- please save me a piece !
    SMM- I'm w/ you re: Patou, honey. SO sad.
    Veuve- I'll take a kusje, while you're at it ! How's the love life ?
    And our BN lovebirds, bless 'em ?
    Lessa- you 'cheese runner', you- I'm fond of those, myself- really well done. I love the Azzaro Couture.
    Tommitao- I LOVE that oil ! [Nice choice for theday...]
    Soirdelune- I love B de B- so green, so good in the heat.

I hit the gym early- because it will STEAM here, today, in our top-floor flat.
    NO a/c yet, no trees outside...
    REALLY HOT, soon.
    I wore Rose D'Amour; post shower, perhaps Le Labo Jasmin- to waft purty.

Love to all you sweet beasties....

OOOOH, Terrykins !
    Me LOVES that, too.
    Not for weaklings, LOL !

Ava Luxe Cashmere Musk.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Delicious.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I am trying out the new L'Occitane scent, Rose Nuit de Mai. As far as I am concerned, L'Occitane has produced two decent scents (the original vanilla and the discontinued neroli) and then a series of clunkers, one after another. I'm happy to report that Rose Nuit de Mai breaks this losing streak. RNdM is a tentative fruit/rose/wood combo that has some similarity to Rosine Poussiere de Rose. It's mellow and easy to wear, with each note smoothed over to eliminate roughness. This is a huge improvement over the rest of their scents. I'd not say they were going in a niche direction; it is simply the similarity to Poussiere that makes it seem a bit novel for the company.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

VS Lace Orange Flower.

My husband likes this one and makes appreciative sounds when he smells it on me. It isn't as good as LA Fleur d'Oranger but then he doesn't make the appreciative sounds when I wear Fd'O, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

My husband likes this one and makes appreciative sounds when he smells it on me.
    Is there any positive reinforcement better than this???

French Lover

Sampling for the third time. Nice woody, not 'skunk' at all but.....I can't get Pepé le Pew out of my head since I used that image for a puzzle about French Lover
    on the Guess the Fragrance by the Picture thread

It is difficult to take a fragrance serious when you have the picture of an adorable French skunk firmly planted in your brain. However, a French Lover on a plate of food.....:bounce:
    After all, it is still May.

G, I am glad to hear you like Un Cœur en Mai. Indeed, Patricia de Nicolaï strikes again.
    Last edited by Riannon; 21st May 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Diorella. Yes, it feels like spring!

sotd:
    Hermes
    Rocabar

Along with ubu I'm in Lutens A la Nuit. It's been at least a year, and I remembered how much I like it as I sprayed it on. At the moment I can't think of a jasmine I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by paula View Post
    Testing DZONGKHA by L'Artisan
    Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    I'm wearing L'Artisan's Dzonghka (Do you like it, Paula?)
    Paula, I want to know, too!

Riannon, your French Lover post cracks me up. What a perfect "Guess the Fragrance..." puzzle that must have been!

I'm testing Belle en Rykiel this morning, from my little blind-buy mini. It's subtle and interesting; we'll see how the day goes for Belle & me!
    Last edited by Haunani; 21st May 2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo city!

Madame X

One of my favourites!

Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Coco - I been meaning to compliment you on yet ANOTHER adorable avatar. (My fave is still the bunny fanny with the fishnet stockings) - how they brighten the day. :bounce:.
    hee... Thanks for the compliment Taolady, I was born in the year of rabbit I couldn't find that fishnet bunny anymore as it was saved in my old laptop.

I was a bit out of my mind tonight, and bought a bottle of Britney Spear's Believe (less than 20 USD), which I believe I'll be wearing in summer.

Basenotes Institution

Hi Everyone- Vol De Nuit for me .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Declaration Essence (Cartier)

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post

Twolf, I'd die for a piece of your rhubarb pie today!

Hot damn, don't we all smell good!
    Lessa, in agreement with you here! Drool... rhubarb pie... my grandma made many strawberry rhubarb pies with fruit from her yard in the midwest, too. I am drooling for real!
    And yes, we all do smell absolutely fabulous.

Generally, I'm not a fan of rose-predominant fragrances, and therefore haven't tried all that many. I loved the Sonoma Scent Studio rose that Haunani (hi!) sent me to try - I think it's Vintage Rose - for it's wine-y qualities. I love this one even more because while it has the dark winey-ness, it also has a beautiful clarity. I can't describe it, I've never been good at this, but... it's dark and moody, yet crystal-like (at least in the first half-hour, where it is now). Gorgeous.
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Une Rose

Last edited by turquoisewater; 21st May 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: image added

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Week's almost over, Yeeehaw!

Last nights SOTE was 1000.
    I read this too quickly and thought: "Wow, you can pack a lot into an evening!"
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Smooches accepted from and returned to all.

Mandragore (always think of Nukapai's drop-to-her-knees fondness for this).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Stood by my perfume drawers today and wondered... what to wear? It's gorgeous, sunny, hot, high of 28C.

Un Jardin Apres la Mousson.
    Very appropriately refreshing, really enjoying the herbs, is it coriander?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

It's cool and cloudy here; praying for rain and wearing Sensuous.

Comme des Garçons

Basenotes Institution

Diorissimo by Christian Dior (from a sample - thanks lilybelle)

It's hot outside today and this stuff is like a shower-in-a-bottle, but not in a synthetic, soapy way rather a subdued, gentle, floral refreshment. The epitome of a Spring fragrance.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Everyone smells divine!

SOTD is L'Air du Desert Marocain. Have a great Thursday, all!

It's feeling a little like summer today, an absolutely gorgeous day. I broke out the TF Azuree body oil spray and it's just perfect!

Testing Mona di Oria Nuit Noire (animalistic powerhouse, rrrr) and Lux (lemon essence).
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Testing Mona di Oria Nuit Noire (animalistic powerhouse, rrrr) and Lux (lemon essence).
    Agree on both counts!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I read this too quickly and thought: "Wow, you can pack a lot into an evening!"
    I would say that 1000 would be pushing the limit, even for me!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by *dora* View Post
    Madame X

One of my favourites!

Have a nice day!
    Dora, one of my favs, too! Deliciousness in a bottle!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

MARC JACOBS Daisy for me today - pressie from hubbie from business trip to Italy.

(and yes, I am still alive, I just don't get here much on account of being outrrrrrageously busy)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Mmmmm, rhubarb pie. . . Jean Patou. . . A La Nuit. . . .

Back from lots of traveling and training. I wanted to catch up with the SotD threads before posting but realized I'm never going to have time. I hope everyone has been well.

SotD: "The Good Girl" in the 3x3 sniffer. Come on over and help us out!

Lately, I've been pretty hooked on Yves Rocher Rose Absolu, which I bought a 10 ml spray of. Nice mix of red (not girly) rose, cinnamon, and amber. Has a slightly gourmand feel without going into sweet territory.

One of these days, though, I'm going to try Un Rose.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 21st May 2009 at 06:24 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Good day all,
    Not myself today, asthma, headache, lethargic. all due to the big jump in temps here; one day 11C one day 17C and today 'joy of joys' 31C.

So I am just trying to keep the breathing in a happy place, scent for that is Cardin;

the original

Love and hugs to all.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Must try that YR Rose Absolue one of these days...sounds so lovely.

SOTD for me: Hermes Kelly Caleche

Hope Thursday is going/went well...

Blog Entries

EL Amber Ylang Ylang. I should try to remember that I prefer amber in the evening, even when the days are moderate.

Everyone smells fabulous, especially you A la Nuiters! I should really, really get some of this, but thoughts like these keep nickel and diming away my tax refund. Hmph.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 21st May 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

My head is spinning! Got up at 5am and pootled down to the BSP annual symposium. Met Tony Curtis (the perfume and marketing supremo who runs my course) & he got his colleague to take a photo of us, as apparently I'm the first new student on this new-style course. Was chuffed.

SotD was Breath of God, worn discreetly around the back of the knees and ankles so as not to disturb sniffing. That turned out to be an excellent decision. Spent the whole day sniffing. Learned a lot too. Have samples and goodies (now own two scent-strip clips. I think that means I'm "in". ).

Having sampled a material with a distinct celery-note today, now have brain-worm in trying to figure out whether Dzongkha contains it. Beginning to wish I had access to GC machine (I do, but indirectly and not for frivolous brainworms).

Finally, did you know that:
    - Women taking the contraceptive pill lose their ability to sniff out the partner with the best possible genetic match. (Contraceptive pill makes women prefer a body odour similar to their own, when in fact we are naturally more attracted to dissimilar body odour).

P.S. Dearest Quarry, now I might end up wearing Mandragore tomorrow. We'll see!

[COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]