Code of Conduct

Question What are your favorite fragrances on a woman?

I'm wandering over from the women's frag board because I need a little help from the guys over here.

Normally, these types of posts drive me crazy, since fragrance is so subjective and because generally I believe we should wear it for ourselves.

But I'm getting frustrated. I'd like to have just one that DH loves. I've made him sniff a bunch of fragrances on me, and the best I ever get is, "That's nice" (usually said somewhat unenthusiastically). The worst I get is, "Yuck" or "That's too strong," usually applied to classics or older-school chypres.

So if you wouldn't mind sharing which ones you really like on a woman. . . . And, if you can remember back to a time when your nose wasn't as sophisticated, that would be even better.

TIA!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: What are your favorite fragrances on a woman?

Ever since I first smelled it on an ex, I fell in love with Hypnose for women. A light blend of vetiver and vanilla with florals. Sheer but still has some depth.

Always loved Obsession on a woman, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

OK - may not be for some but there is sparkle in TDC OSMANTHUS and (J.C. Ellena's later) Hermes OSMANTHE YUNNAN, that I find quite a sophisticated but also 'cooling' daytime scent worn by a friend in warmer weather. It's 'grown up pretty' to me - not girly or sweet. TDC simple, Hermes has a light milky tea note that comes in - take your pick . . .

1. L'Artisan Fleur Di Liane
    2. Bond Gramercy Park
    3. L'Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi
    4. Creed Spring Flower
    5. Bond no.9 Scent of Peace
    6. Eclat D'Arpege
    7. L'Artisan Mure Et Musc Extreme
    8. Tom Ford Black Orchid (not sure which one, but it smells like sweet pastry)
    9. Kiehl's Forest Rain
    10. Creed Fleur De the Rose Bulgarie
    11. Hermes Un Jardin Series
    12. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria series
    13. Fendi Palazzo
    14. Agent Provocateur
    15. Creed Virgin Island Water (helps if she has fresh fruity floral lotion/etc. w/ this one)
    16. Bond no.9 Coney Island
    17. L'Occitane Vert a la Menthe
    18. Badgley Mischka
    19. Bond no.9 Bryant Park

I generally date girls from 20-26. Some exceptions.

1. Chanel Coco Madmoiselle
    2. Dior Miss Cherie
    3. Sensuous (Estee Lauder)
    4. Alien (Thierry Mugler)
    5. Sunset Heat (Escada)

Silver Mountain Water on a woman smells great, actually seems more appropriate on the female of the species

Nasomatto Silver Musk also smells clean and sexy on the ladies
    Last edited by adonis; 21st May 2009 at 08:01 AM.

Creed Love in White or Spring Flower
    Chanel Coco Madamoselle
    David Yurman
    Lancome Tresor
    Daisy
    Euphoria
    Bond 9 west side

Bvlgari Black for some strange reason ends up turning me on like crazy. Probably because it's so unusual and uncommon for women to be wearing this in my experience.

Une Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens has blown my mind every time I've ever smelled it on a woman. I think the smooth vanilla it starts out with hearkens back to early relationships, young girls, etc... kind of a youthful excitement that's oddly enough brought on by a 'typical' vanilla scent. But soon, not very long at all actually, it starts to morph into a beautiful complex mature vanilla scent that is simply drop dead sexy.
    Last edited by alacious; 21st May 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Personally, I love tuberose frags on a woman, as well as animalic masterpieces such as Bandit, Jicky and Ubar.

Chanel No. 19...FM Une Rose...No. 19...No. 19....LV Teint de Neige...19...Creed Spring Flower...

Did I mention I like Chanel No. 19 on women?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

My favourite on a woman by a country mile is Coco Mademoiselle. It is so quintisentially feminine and damned sexy at the same time. Every time I am near a woman wearing it my scent radar picks it up.

The only perfume that comes close to how much I love that is is Mallabah by Penhaligon's.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Sicily (DG), definetely.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Silver Mountain Water on a woman smells great, actually seems more appropriate on the female of the species
    I agree. I love this on a woman.

Right now I'm totally obsessed by Narciso Rodriguez Essence. I wish I could wear this etheral rose and angelic musk but it's really feminine.

I smelled this beauty on a woman and it was dreamy ♥

Thumbs up Re: What are your favorite fragrances on a woman?

At the moment is Robert Piguet's FRACAS....absolutely exciting !!! it drives me crazy
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior. The only time I felt compelled to ask a stranger what she was wearing allowed me to become acquainted with this delightful fragrance on a regular basis. I went straight out and bought it for my partner. It is a wonderful creation

Angel, typically. Alien's nice too. Bvlgari Black, also.

Coco Mademoiselle
    Annick Goutal Songes
    Annick Goutal Petite Cherie
    Bond no.9 Nuits de Noho
    Bond no.9 Chelsea Flowers

From my pre-Basenotes days, Flowerbomb and Boucheron.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'm fortunate in that my partner, with his unsophisticated nose, nevertheless likes most of what I wear. Or even, in his words, all of what I wear and only some of them give him a headache.

That said, he really likes Vanilla. Try anything by La Maison de la Vanille, you might find one you both like. Ambre Sultan also fit this category.

He quite likes Mitsouko but I think that is because I used to wear it a lot. He's been know to sniff a little mini of the parfum when I'm away.

He likes Dune. An ex wore the EdT when she dressed up to go out. Some people might think I'm nuts, but he doesn't associate it with her, just thinks it smells nice, so I wear the parfum sometimes.

He generally likes things that wear closer to the body.

He also likes Miss Dior Cherie and strawberry scents.

My girlfriend liked my bottle of l'anarchiste so much that she bought her own. Smells great on her.

chanel no. 19

Thank you, gentlemen (and lady ). Lots of great responses!

I do note a lot of vanilla fragrances. I should have mentioned that my skin turns fragrances sweet, which means that sweet vanillas go absolutely disgustingly tooth-achingly sweet on me. (Angel and Flowerbomb actually made me nauseated.) But a sheer or drier vanilla might just be the trick. I'm adding Bulgari Black, Hypnose, and a few others on the to-try-with-husband-around list.

I already have bottles or samples of Alien, Fracas, Osmanthe Yunnan, Mure et Musc, Songes, and a few others, but I can't remember whether DH has smelled those on me, so I'm going to make him sniff those again.

Scent, sounds like you and I have very similar tastes. I too love tuberose (and many of the white flowers) and the skank monsters. (Have you smelled The Party in Manhattan? Yum.) I haven't noticed DH jones for those yet, but I'm going to keep trying.

Oh, and Kasae, your husband sniffing from Mitsouko when you're gone is one of the sweetest stories I've heard lately.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 21st May 2009 at 08:20 PM.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

BlackCat, take a look at this thread by 3xasif

A lot of good suggestions

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=212030

Thanks, Akira. I figured I couldn't have been the first to ask this question, but I was having a hard time turning up a good responsive thread in a search.

Of the many rose based frags I love on women, I love the original Stella McCartney EDP and Bulgari's Rose Essentielle.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Can I just say it's lovely having some women on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Can I just say it's lovely having some women on this board?
    Thank you. It's lovely being over here. You all have wonderful taste.

Blog Entries

I've noticed my husband likes strong florals & sweeter frags. Is that the general preference amongnst the heteros?

Jill Sander No. 4. Because...

I really love Diptyque's Jardin Clos on a woman. Every time I'm at the store and can sniff it I ache to put it on a beautiful woman all over again.

Awww, isn't that sad?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Hmmm.... I'm getting a powerful birds & bees vibe here with all the nectar & florals.

I am surprised at the No.19 responses--is it the rose?

We're partial to petals...

I think Rose 31 by Le Labo smells really sexy on a woman. My girlfriend had to get her own bottle after using mine too much, and the SA at Barneys who made up the bottle said she wears Rose 31 almost daily also. She said that she gets more "what are you wearing?" compliments when she goes out from the Barneys with Rose 31 - more than anything else she puts on. She has lots to choose from in the Barneys fragrance dept.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen (and lady ). Lots of great responses!

Scent, sounds like you and I have very similar tastes. I too love tuberose (and many of the white flowers) and the skank monsters. (Have you smelled The Party in Manhattan? Yum.) I haven't noticed DH jones for those yet, but I'm going to keep trying.
    I actually have The Party, and I adore it! I mean, I can't express my love for it in mere words! I don't get that much skank out of it though; to me it's chypre heaven. Pure bliss that stuff is!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    My favourite on a woman by a country mile is Coco Mademoiselle. It is so quintisentially feminine and damned sexy at the same time. Every time I am near a woman wearing it my scent radar picks it up.

The only perfume that comes close to how much I love that is is Mallabah by Penhaligon's.
    In one of my dance classes, there's always at least 1 girl wearing Coco Mlle. The majority of girls wear fruity florals though. From feedback, I'm the only guy in class wearing any perfumes with any appreciable smell. The rest just wear nothing (and thus stink near end of the class) or just deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Bvlgari Black for some strange reason ends up turning me on like crazy. Probably because it's so unusual and uncommon for women to be wearing this in my experience.

Une Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens has blown my mind every time I've ever smelled it on a woman. I think the smooth vanilla it starts out with hearkens back to early relationships, young girls, etc... kind of a youthful excitement that's oddly enough brought on by a 'typical' vanilla scent. But soon, not very long at all actually, it starts to morph into a beautiful complex mature vanilla scent that is simply drop dead sexy.
    It is interesting that you say this, as I have been starting to educate my wife on the unisex nature of fragrances. I gave her my decant of Dior Homme, which I did not like on myself but she did, and her friends love it on her. Then, the other day, she looked through and sniffed a bunch of my decants and pulled out Bvlgari Black for herself - she said she really liked the way it smelled! Well, I like it on both her and me, so I guess we will share!
    Last edited by CYoung234; 22nd May 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYoung234 View Post
    It is interesting that you say this, as I have been starting to educate my wife on the unisex nature of fragrances. I gave her my decant of Dior Homme, which I did not like on myself but she did, and her friends love it on her. Then, the other day, she looked through and sniffed a bunch of my decants and pulled out Bvlgari Black for herself - she said she really liked the way it smelled! Well, I like it on both her and me, so I guess we will share!
    Excellent! I'm glad someone else has had the same experience (or something similar). It really is a very unusual unisex, but totally sexy. I wish more women would wear it

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I've noticed my husband likes strong florals & sweeter frags. Is that the general preference amongnst the heteros?
    Not at all. I think women smell amazing in more woody / musky scents. Sometimes the sweet flowery business can come across too "girly" rather than womanly.
    - E.J.

I would always like
    Guerlain L instant EDP in a woman..

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I am surprised at the No.19 responses--is it the rose?
    I do love roses, but to me No. 19 exhibits the very rare quality of smelling perfumey (which I like) while still smelling somewhat natural/skinlike, unlike her older sister No. 5 which is the quintessential perfumey smell.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

As of yesterday evening, I would have to say L'Anarchiste!

There was a thread somewhere yesterday which I now can't find about women wearing men's fragrances and I said I would try some out on my girlfriend. Which I duly did, one of which was L'Anarchiste. OMG, on her skin it was as smooth and rich as anything. Absolutely beautiful, the edgier bits (the bits often described as "metallic") vanished. It smelled unbelievable on her. I am now going to get her her own bottle.

Blog Entries

BlackCat, there are only 2 currently-in-production fragrances that elicit murmurs of approval from my husband-- the rest he is sadly indifferent to.

1. The new VS fragrance, Lace Orange Flower. This is not heavy at all and may be a good choice since your husband has complained about fragrances being too strong.

2. Amouage Gold is quite potent but very good (but my daughter hates it and it costs a fortune so it's not on my to-buy list).

There may be a third on the horizon...Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, of which I just bought a decant. He seems to admire the smell but I haven't worn it long enough to know whether he will notice it when I have it on. Hmmm... I'll wear it today and see if he notices.

EDIT: And it's a YES! He noticed and commented on the Creed one.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd May 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: results

Blog Entries

I have a Winner!!!! DING, DING, DING!! I put on some Nuits de Noho and my husband really sat up and took notice. This would appear to have the exact combination he enjoys. Today I wore Nazomato Absinthe and it was a total dud. He requested a repeat of NdN from yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have a Winner!!!! DING, DING, DING!! I put on some Nuits de Noho and my husband really sat up and took notice. This would appear to have the exact combination he enjoys. Today I wore Nazomato Absinthe and it was a total dud. He requested a repeat of NdN from yesterday.
    Nuits de Noho by Bond No.9?

Blog Entries

Bond #9, That's the one.

I seem to get more attention from cheap fragrances--eg, Realities Sweet Desire :P

* Flower Bomb by Viktor & Rolf
    * Romance by RL
    * Armani Code Pour Femme
    * Spring Flowers by Creed
    * Love In White by Creed
    Gary

Thanks os much for asking this question...I've been wanting to ask, too. So far, I've gotten comments on some surprising scents...Lolita Lempicka Fleur de Fendue, SJP Covet, Carolina Hererra 212Sexy. He doesn't seem to notice when I wear the more niche stuff. I keep trying though. Keep the answers coming, guys....we women want to know.

Wow, what a great thread!! Thought I'd ressurrect it BTW I don't think I've ventured over to the male frag board, so helllllllllloooo *waves*, you all have great taste

Men seem to love coco mademoiselle on me. Also just tried Bulgari Black which made Mr DC take notice, so much so he's on about getting me some!! Just goes to show it seems the woody/musky type ones seem to be really appreicated!!