Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

Well this is so engaging. Hats off to mikep and SMM for engineering this engrossing exercise. And kudos to the 3 forensic experts for being so engaging and game.
    Thrilling!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Isn't it time for Sunny to rescue me from looking dumb. Blackcat is not suffering from my malady. Clearly cats have a better sense of smell than debbborra's.
    I'll look dumb enough for the both of us, debbbora! :wave:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I wonder where the bandana comes in?
    I took the bandana as a clue to the slightly rebelious side...there is a side Daddy doesn't know about, as is the way with most 15-year-olds, good or not. Hence the perfume not being French, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One of our sniffers has already correctly named A, but she agreed to wait a little bit and let the other two participants guess some more.

Sunnyfunny dear, we haven't heard from you in a bit - would you like to chime in here?

Ladies: Who do you think the intended market is, for this scent?
    Happily back from the day job!
    It smells marketed towards the 13-17 age group. I don't like it much. The sweetness is reminiscent of Hanae Mori Butterfly. There isn't near as much vanilla in this one, though. It smells to me like HM Butterfly and Midnight Fantasy had a baby, and it got the veryvery sweet berries of MF and the tropical fruit of HM Butterfly, with a not-very-generous sprinkling of whatever it is that gives Butterfly a slight sophisticated edge.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 22nd May 2009 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Guys, I have figured it out about 4 hours ago -- and trust me here! -- the bandana and the school uniform are both the very important parts of the mystery!!! She is a Good Girl, remember?

So, again, what does it dry down too? Musk? Woods? Amber? Vanilla?

About Googling: how about starting locally, i.e. typing the existing notes in the BN Directory Search box?
    I find that it stays very "fruit candy" throughout, including the base. I catch the slightest hint of pale woods. I don't detect any vanilla or musk. There could be a negligible amount of amber. Is anyone else getting any other notes.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Ah, I finally got the bandana reference. I was ignoring it earlier because when I looked at the word, I could only think of Bandit. And this fragrance is about as opposite to Bandit as one can get.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

The two things I thought of in relation to the bandana were Bandit and Antonio Banderas.

Basenotes Institution

We have a winner!

BlackCat (late this afternoon) and then debbborra (a few minutes ago) correctly guessed via PM the contents of A.

Lil' Angel by Harajuku Lovers (Gwen Stefani)

Official notes from the so-cute-you-wanna-throw-up-website are: raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, pineapple, pear blossom, violet, rose, lollipop accord, hinoki wood and crystal amber.

Yes, the doll adorned on the bottle has a bandana around her head. I named this round the Good Girl since this was perhaps the most teeny bopper scent of the 3 I have. It's clearly marketed for teenage girls and smells the part - I guess teenage girls want to smell like candy and a lot of it!?

Perfumer is Christophe Raynaud who hasn't really done any other scent that caught my eye (although he did collaborate with Jean Claude Ellena on a scent for Rectoverso named Blue Lagoon [??]).

You can buy it from most department stores including Sephora, where strangely my husband fell in love with the smell of it (and promptly bought a bottle months ago). Seriously.

Hats off to Black Cat and debbborra!

Onto vial B and the conclusion of Round 1, including the end of our 1st story in my next post.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Harajuku Lovers never entered my consciousness. My mother-in-law thinks they are very cute. I will plead the fifth. That was really clever, Mike!
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 22nd May 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Basenotes Institution

We were driving back to Chanel Hill when Lt. Perez got a phone call, it was BlackCat. She told him the scent in the vial was Harajuku Lovers Lil’ Angel. We looked at each other and he quickly banged a u-turn and we headed down to Shiseido Square, the Asian district of Basenotes City. Once there we started looking for the polka-dot bandanna Gigi had been wearing. Imagine our surprise to find it as a headband on the hottest sushi chef in town, Leo Kitani. We talked to Mr. Kitani and he was very nervous and when we asked if we could visit his apartment I knew we had found Gigi and so did Lt. Perez. Turns out the 15-year old Gigi had convinced herself that she was in love with Leo and had shown up on his doorstep two nights ago. Leo didn’t know what to do and in the meantime he just hoped she was going to get bored and go home. He was relieved to see us, Gigi a little less happy to see us. When we returned Gigi we promised not to tell Mr. Rosenthal that she’d been a bad girl because you want fathers to keep thinking their daughters are good girls for as long as they can.

To be continued - Part 2 will be posted in the morning (time for me to go to bed!)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd May 2009 at 04:16 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yay team!

I never picked up any pear, and I doubt I would have figured out pineapple without the "tropical fruit" hint. The lollipop note was pretty prevalent, though.

Very clever hints, Mike. Also, it's so cute your DH bought it for the juice. It seems like most people went crazy over the bottles. They are rather adorable.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    ...Also, it's so cute your DH bought it for the juice. It seems like most people went crazy over the bottles. They are rather adorable.
    The first thing I did, when he brought it home, was pick up the bottle and inspect it to see where the juice came out of. I kept thinking, looking at the ads, does the juice shoot out of her mouth? Which might look kind of gross, right? Actually, her head pops off and the sprayer is underneath. Which is really weird too, because you have to decapitate the dolls to spray them.

WTF!?

-- Eckhart Tolle

The Harajuku Lovers line crossed my mind briefly, too. I never spent any time with them (just sniffed the nozzles one day in Sephora), so I didn't make a strong connection!
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd May 2009 at 04:25 AM.

This was sure a fun read. Go team!

Mike, I think it's really cute that your husband has a fragrance with "lollipop accord" in it. Does he actually wear it???

That was a ball.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The Harajuku Lovers line crossed my mind briefly, too. I never spent any time with them (just sniffed the nozzles one day in Sephora), so I didn't make a strong connection!
    I remember being a little shocked when I read that Robin from NowSmellThis bought some. I think it goes to show that it doesn't matter whether it's niche, designer, etc...if someone's nose likes something, it just likes it.

Of course I tend to be a little snobby sometimes with my fragrance selections (I'll admit) but that's why I love smelling fragrances blind because you have no point of reference and you really have to rely on your nose to judge whether you like it or not (not the bottle, the ad, the celebrity endorsing it, the line who made it, the perfumer who blended it, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    This was sure a fun read. Go team!

Mike, I think it's really cute that your husband has a fragrance with "lollipop accord" in it. Does he actually wear it???
    He just wore it this morning. The bathroom smells like I opened up a packet of Skittles. No kidding. I told him he smelled like a lollipop and he giggled. He could care less what I (or anyone) thinks. Which is why I love him.

That was a ball.
    Oh I am glad you are enjoying this - I am too!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd May 2009 at 11:37 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Ladies, you may start investigating vial B

The Bad Girl

I was hoping the rest of the month was going to be quiet after dealing with the high and mighty of Basenotes City. I should’ve known that life in Basenotes City is never that simple.
    It had been a day since we returned Gigi Rosenthal to her parents and Lt. Perez and I were comparing notes on our favorite scents in the bullpen for his squad. He picked up the phone when it rang and started writing. I started to put my jacket on. Every cop knows the look of another cop on the phone taking down information.
    Lt. Perez finished and handed me the slip of paper he’d been writing on. We were headed to the Patou Projects one of Basenotes City’s roughest neighborhoods and, incidentally, where I grew up. The Patou Projects were supposed to be the middle-class dream and in the beginning that’s what they were. I grew up around other families and went to school with kids just like me. Now when I go down there I see the promise of what The Patou Projects could have been, destroyed by neglect.
    My family left years ago and after the other families were gone the pretty art deco houses started to show their age and fall apart. Gingerbread Crack was everywhere on the streets down here and if you weren’t using you were selling, unless you were doing both.
    We pulled up to what was once a beautiful pink house full of swoops and deco flourishes. Now it was full of rotting plaster and an overgrown yard.
    We walked up to the front step and knocked.
    We were greeted by the sight of a woman who matched her house. At one time she was probably a fresh-faced pink beauty but now her hair was overgrown and alcohol, or worse, had rotted her soul.
    The woman said, “Took you long enough to get here.”
    Lt. Perez asked, “Are you Ms. Broadwick?”
    She looked at him like he was an idiot and said in a light British accent, “Who else did you expect to see?”
    I pulled Lt. Perez aside and whispered to him, “Let me take this one, I know these people.”
    He nodded and took a step back.
    I started, “Ms. Broadwick, your daughter is missing and we are here to help. If you think you don’t need our help we can turn around and walk out.”
    She immediately pulled herself together and said, “You guys are all the same you helped that Hoity Toity Rosenthal Family up on the Hill. You’ll go all out when you’re looking for a Good Girl but when it comes to helping out those of us who live in the projects you can’t break a sweat to find a Bad Girl.”
    I looked at her hard and said, “We were the detectives who solved that case and we are going to be the detectives who return your daughter to you. You referred to your daughter as a Bad Girl, what did you mean by that?”
    Now that the bluster was gone the worry showed through, “Caroline’s not a Bad Girl but we’re barely getting by and I worry about what she thinks she has to do to keep our heads above water. She’s gone missing for a day or so before but this is the first time she’s been gone this long.”
    I asked, “Can we see her room?”
    For the second time in three days I was entering a teenager’s bedroom. For the second time in three days I was looking for clues.
    I walked over to Caroline Broadwick’s closet and looking at the wardrobe hanging there realized she might have been fifteen but she was dressing like she was twenty-one. I went over to search her dresser and again wasn’t finding that many age-appropriate clothes in the drawers. When I came upon the black tassels in the back of the drawer I decided to keep that observation to myself. As I felt around in the drawers I kept getting the hint of a scent and asked her mother if she wore perfume.
    Her mother pointed to an unlabelled bottle and said, “That’s the one she wears. I always know she’s here when I smell it.” As she said it one lone tear ran down her cheek.
    I looked at Lt. Perez and said, “It looks like sunnyfunny, debbbora and Black_Cat are going to be needed again.”
    He nodded and produced three vials and sprayed some of the perfume into them.
    I looked Ms. Broadwick in the eye and told her we would find Caroline and bring her home.
    Lt. Perez got in the car and looked at me disapprovingly and said, “You shouldn’t make promises like that.”
    I looked back at him and said, “I’ve already seen what magic the ladies can do and I don’t mind doubling down on their ability to help us crack this case.”
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd May 2009 at 11:42 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think I get a blast of incense (frankincense? Maybe.) in the top and some amber.
    Soon it does a sweet powdery thing on my skin. It smells niche to me. I know this powdery note. I do.

Basenotes Institution

Black = Goth?
    15 going on 21?
    Doing or selling crack? Or both? Shisha?
    British accent?
    Vintage? How modern is the overall feel of the fragrance?
    Smooth amber and insence -- sweet and powdery -- not edgy at all? Old lady's closet type of fragrance? Moss or woods in the drydown? Or, just moldy woods? A chypre?

No, edgy because the incense is dry. Not old lady at all
    I want to say caraway/cedar and/or bergamot, but I'm afraid of looking dumb when none of those things are present.

Basenotes Institution

Please, do not be shy with your guesses -- once again the more you say altogether, the higher are the chances that some of your guesses are correct. That's a very valuable info, BTW, that you have come up with -- some timid (not edgy, you replied) bitter and lively citrus? Some sort of mild spice? Some sort of dry wood? Could it be something different than cedar, like guaiac (or whatever spelling in the original language it might have) or wacapou, or massacar, or agarwood, or rosewood? Just a thought!

I am still pondering about "British Accent" thingy, because otherwise, just judging by your impressions I would say the whole thing has an Italian vibe to me.

What is the overall feel of the fragrance? Unisex or masculine or feminine? What emotions does it evoke: bright and bubbly or content or gloomy bordering on boring? How sweet or tart?

No, I meant it is a little edgy because it's so dry.

Blog Entries

....I'm afraid of looking dumb when none of those things are present.
    If I were afraid of looking dumb I wouldn't even be posting.

Ahem..

Sunnyfunny trudges in, late again, hoping to appease Lt. Perez with a 16 oz. Decaf Americana to make up for her terrible sleuthing skills. She's having a blast, but only hopes her boss and her brilliant team don't catch on that she's really just a recent mailroom grad. She's never actually smelled any of her guesses and only smelled one of the Harajuku line, briefly. It wasn't Gigi's. And this new one! She's fairly certain she's never even heard of it. She takes a deap breath and tries to clear her mind, thankful the whole thing doesn't rest on her....

The very first think I thought when I sprayed this was Jicky! So I second the bergamot, debbbora. I get a lot of amber in the opening, but it's tempered by something and not so medicinal on me as others have been. It becomes smoother, and the amber becomes very quiet and the sharp coolness of it is all but gone. Maybe this new development is incense, as you said, debbbora. When I read that I was like, "Really?" But it is maybe the same as, or similar to, Passage d'Enfer's incense.

I think its unisex, modern, and niche. I expected it to be sexy, but it isn't. I think maybe it reminds her of a different time in her life.

Yes. edgyish, but not sexy.

Basenotes Institution

You ladies are doing great.

Thanks for all of the inquiring questions TWolf.

Do you ladies smell any florals? If so, which ones?

What are the base notes like?

What color is the juice?

Who do you think this perfume is targeting?

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't get florals, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. The juice is pale orange.
    I have a guess actually.

I think the base may be sandalwood.

Agent BlackCat from the late shift , reporting for duty. Poor SMM, mourning his JP.

Just sprayed a minute or two ago and loved the opening shot.

I totally agree with the excellent observations thus far.

I'd be shocked if this weren't niche. The opening is bone dry, incensy, and slightly powdery. I get amber as a supporting player now that Sunnyfunny has mentioned it (nice catch, Sunnyfunny).

The wood (sandalwood? guiac?) is already making its presence known. I also pick up no florals whatsoever, at least not yet. The very opening had a hint of citrus (I agree with you both, probably bergamot), but it was gone in seconds on me.

As it develops, the powder becomes a bit sweeter, but it's still pretty dry.

This fragrance is targeting perfumistas, especially woodchucks. Definitely unisex. I can't tell what country it's from. But if I had to guess, I'd say French. Not that it strikes me as quintessentially a French fragrance, but it strikes me as quite Serge Lutens-esque.

It's wearing close to the skin on me, without sillage or much projection.

The powder now feels to me quite suede-like in texture.

Is "suede" a note or part of the fragrance's name?

Basenotes Institution

OK, Chat Noir, what other fragrances does it remind you of? Please compare, if possible with any od CDG Incense series or Heeley Cardinal. What is so Lutens-esque about it: Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Daim Blond, or what?

Can the powdery effect be attributed to heliotrope?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    OK, Chat Noir, what other fragrances does it remind you of? Please compare, if possible with any od CDG Incense series or Heeley Cardinal. What is so Lutens-esque about it: Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Daim Blond, or what?

Can the powdery effect be attributed to heliotrope?
    I've only smelled a few CdG Incense frags. This compares in some ways, but I never picked up so much powder in those. Never smelled Helley Cardinal.

It's Serge-like in its oddness. The texture reminds me of Daim Blond, although this definitely isn't DB. It feels more austere than most Serges, but I am getting some dry vanilla kicking in.

The reason I thought suede is that the texture reminds me of Daim Blond and Cuir Beluga, although this is drier than both.

Hmmm, it could be heliotrope. I'm not that familiar with heliotrope, but I've always associated it with a slightly sweeter smell.

Hmmmm, or maybe it is Daim Blond? I seem to recall DB as being fruitier and sweeter, but I could be wrong.

Off to find my sample of DB!

If a flower not a flowery flower. It's kind of like desitin and gum, a little bit. Sweet, acrid and pleasant.