Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

I wonder if Robot Girl wears one of those funky Comme des Garcons scents?

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

This whole 3x3 is a great read sort of Raymond Chandler meets Chandler Burr!

Miss Z, there are still slots available to play Tania S. Just let me know if you want to!

at the Chandlers intersecting.

Calone usually smells "sea-breezy" and a bit like watermelon. It's very heavy in some 90s fragrances, like Eau d'Issey and New West. Here's an interesting Turin article on it: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...b17e60359.aspx

Is there honeysuckle in this? I'm getting a sweet-ish flower reminiscent of it, but lighter.

O.K., from the hints, I think we have the following:

Top or middle: lotus, lily and/or jasmine, and ______ (mystery flower we're missing)
    Base: Calone, sea salt

I only got to wear it for a few hours the first time, so I've sprayed again and will have to wait to get to the base.

This fragrance is pleasant, but I wouldn't be likely to wear it because it's a bit fresh for my taste. It strikes me as definitely a summer fragrance, probably aimed at people in their 20s, and even if it's not marketed as unisex, could easily be worn by both sexes.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

It reads really feminine to me. Isn't it odd, how two people can have such different perceptions. My guess is because of the cognitive connection between scent and memory that perfume is more interpretive than say food. Is it soup or dessert, is far less likely to be debated . I really disliked the first few hours. Maybe it is a chemistry thing, but it really had a perm note for me. But now, 12 hours later it's still floral, and it's sweet, light and pretty. I am finding it hard to pin down the basenotes, so I'm going to guess a sweet wood. Maybe sandalwood. Teak? Rosewood?
    Last edited by debbborra; 24th May 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Wait wait, is there vetiver? Orange blossom?
    The top does not but the bottom reminds me just a tiny bit of NR for her.

Well, my guess was completely wrong, so I'm wearing this elusive sample a third time trying to figure out what it is I'm smelling. I was sure it was iris (and assumed that our skin just interprets things totally differently, BlackCat). I thought the name 'Sterling' was in reference to sterling silver. I guessed Iris Silver Mist.

I'm not a big fan. I think this is my least favorite of the three, but it is the most puzzling, to me (not that this says anything..). It smells unisex to me, as well. Okay, I'm completely and utterly . I'm still hung up on the iris thing. And I thought Mike said there is no aquatic note? So all we really know for sure is lily and lotus, right?

It also reminded me of the RL Romance Always Yours I tried earlier this week
    Last edited by debbborra; 24th May 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Is it violet?

Hmmm... so what is that other flower MikeP is talking about? Is it Magnolia? Ylang Ylang? Frangipani? Honeysuckle? Violet?

What IS the significance of Sterling? Eve? Auto Scents? Is there a reference to one of these in the fragrance or manufacturer's name? And what about this whole synthetic and/or metal thing? Is the bottle metallic? Silver?

It's salty? Does it contain salicylates?

And why the reference to parfum strength? Is this an artisan creation?

Wow - this is tricky. Go Angels!
    Last edited by Haunani; 24th May 2009 at 05:55 AM.

I'm getting some vetiver in the base. It still has a bit of a "detergent" smell--not necessarily in a bad way, but there is something rather functional-smelling about this one.

I'm not sure I know what salicylates smell like. I'll have to look up some frags that have them so I can answer that one.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

No violet, honeysuckle, vetiver or orange blossom in the pyramid of notes for C. There is a very important floral that is the center of C - that is yet unnamed.

Haunani's many suggestions / guesses are going in the right direction ladies...follow her lead (although some of her notes are wrong).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Paco Rabanne?

Gardenia?
    Tuberrose?
    A tropical flower of some sort?
    Last edited by debbborra; 24th May 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution

It's not PR, TWolf.

No those suggestions debbborra - but yes, the floral I'm speaking of is tropical.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tiare?
    Passion flower?
    Poppy?
    Last edited by debbborra; 24th May 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Could the mystery flower be EVERLASTING FLOWER?

Basenotes Institution

debbborra, you named one floral note in your last guess, that is in the middle notes - BUT it is not the floral note that comprises the central theme IMO of C. That's still not been mentioned.

-- Eckhart Tolle

It couldn't be plumeria/pikake, that one's too sweet, right? I get minimal, if any, sweetness from this. Hibiscus? Orchid?

Basenotes Institution

Sunnyfunny has named it

If you ladies are still guessing by this evening, I will point out a clue buried in the story.

In the meantime, I might be off line for a bit.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ooh, ooh, before you go...it's orchid, isn't it?

Oh!!!!!! Yes!

So I woke up this morning, and 12 hours after application, this is very sweet--honeyed--and girly on me, after that predominant "fresh" note has receded a bit. So now I'm leaning now towards a feminine rather than unisex (although a man's chemistry could end up with a less sweet fragrance).

Yay, ladies, for catching some notes. I have to admit that I'm stymied here. Although I'm going to guess honey in the base?

So one of the supporting notes in the middle is tiare, passion flower, or poppy. I'm going to guess that it's passion flower, because sometimes I pick up a tiny bit of fruit. I don't think it's poppy, although I haven't smelled a lot of it.

And the main note floral note is either pikake, hibiscus, or orchid. I'm going to agree with my colleages and say orchid.

The other hint is that Haunani is heading in the right direction and that some of her notes are right.. She mentioned salicylates, magnolia, ylang, fragipani, and violet. I'm guessing this has salicylates and fragipani. She also mentioned that the bottle might be metallic; that this may be an artisan creation; and that there might be a reference to "Sterling, Eve, or Auto Scents" in the fragrance or manufacturer name,

It might be time to wander over to the notes database search. . . .

Could it be Hula by Quiksilver (courtesy of the BN notes search function)?

Notes: Driftwood, Salty beach breezes, Citrus Notes, Pikaki, Plumeria, Papaya, Frangipani, Sampaquita..

Looks like this fragrance has been discontinued, so I wasn't sure. But it is 1990s, which would explain the Calone, plus most of the notes seem to fit, and, well, the name of the manufacture. . . .

Any thoughts about this?

“Their family has a long-standing tradition of perfume making”
    Evenstar

Taking a cue from Arwen_elf (thanks to you, Haunani, and everyone else who's helped!), I went back to the story.

I don't think Hula is right based not only on the hint Arwen mentioned but also on the fact that the story and we mentioned lily, and no lily notes are listed in Hula.

I guess we'll have to wait with bated breath until later. I'm going to be gone until tonight, so maybe we'll have another hint by then, or my fellow angels will have solved it.

For the family thing--it could even be Nicolai, since she is descended from the Guerlain family. Do the PdN bottles have silver caps?

I think I know. And I think Sunny Funny was right about the metallic, so I'm waiting to hear back from Mike/

You, squad, are doing an awesome job! Thank you.

Asha gave it away with pointing out the family reference. Lauder Dazzling Silver

Blog Entries

I used to love wearing LDS! It's been a lot of fun reading your comments and musings. I was trying to make a Celine Ellena fragrance fit the bill, but I kept running into notes that Mike nixed. I can't wait for the end of the story (mad props to SMM too)!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Smile Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

I'll have to find Dazzling silver in the parfum.

Basenotes Institution

And we have a WINNER - debbborra has correctly named the contents of C as, Dazzling Silver by Estee Lauder!

Notes (from the Estee Lauder site) are: monet lily, wild lotus, Japanese mountain orchid, rare purple vanilla orchid, Sunset orchid, passion flower and rose, magnolia and ginger lily. The nose behind this fragrance is Evelyn Lauder, daughter of Estee Lauder (which we hinted at in the story above).

Lauder came out with Dazzling Gold and Dazzling Silver in 1998 - the year that many of the perfume houses took a lot of risks and pushed the envelope on edgier, more modern takes on scents (Feu d' Issey by Issey Miyake and Black by Bulgari to name a few...).

The first time I smelled DS, it really did smell like a metallic floral. I think bront82 (who I never see on BN anymore) described DS best when he said, '...The icy floral arrangement was almost funereal, obsessively clean and utterly proper. It smells like a bundle of lilies got dumped in a sink and are being scrubbed under cold water with a new soapy scouring pad. Try as I might, I didn't hate it ... I just kept smelling it. It reminded me of this extremely upright and virginal girl I used to go to school with. I can imagine her wearing it with shorts and a sweater tied around her shoulders. To be fair, this is probably the opposite of my kind of scent, but I have respect for it...'

Of course I assume the metallic vibe is arrived at using the lily at the top and bottom notes - but it is those exotic orchid notes compromising the top and middle notes that really weird out ones nose when smelling DS. They're so strange and of course smelling them blind conjures up all kinds of notes and accords (like the salt and Calone guesses) - so it didn't surprise me that you ladies took the longest to solve this one.

I smelled the EdT when I first tested DS, but I was able to get the parfum version of DS - which is what you ladies sampled. It is less metallic (if you can believe it) than the EdT. I was afraid you might not get the metallic accord, since the parfum is so floral, so I had SMM put that part in the story.

Here's the conclusion to this story...I'll post a concluding post-script after this post before we officially end Round 3.

We were questioning what seemed like the hundredth white-coated scientist. Getting information out of them was like reading the phone book but slowly and surely we were making progress. Just like a dentist doing a root canal, and we were also finding that there was a rot at the center of Auto Scents. Everyone had confirmed that only Dr. Sterling had access to MISS and it was only his badge that allowed for entry into the lab that contained The Robot Girl. All roads were leading back to Dr. Sterling.
    The Triple Play had finished with the sample we sent over and identified it as the Parfum version of Dazzling Silver by Estee Lauder. Lt. Perez was right he had smelled it before and we had now caught Dr. Sterling in a lie. It was time to go visit the good doctor and finish the root canal.
    We arrived at Dr. Sterling’s house and he greeted us in a dark purple bathrobe while still drying his hair.
    “Ahhh detectives, have you made any progress? I need to inform our investors about the tragedy and I’d like to be able to tell them something.”
    Lt. Perez asked, “Our forensics team has identified that scent you pump into the air as a commercially bought scent and not a proprietary scent as you claimed when we met this morning.”
    While talking Lt. Perez was waving behind his back toward a large armoire.
    As I started to move towards it Dr. Sterling was looking at me but replying to Lt. Perez’s question, “Every business has a little fiction behind it detective its important for the employees to think what they’re doing is……Detective what are you doing?”
    The last was right at me.
    Lt. Perez handed Dr. Sterling a piece of paper and said, “Detective Metro Man is carrying out the search warrant you’ve just been served with.”
    With those words I opened the armoire and found a huge flacon of Dazzling Silver and right next to it a rectangular circuitboard. MISS’ missing module, I presume.
    Lt. Perez took out his cuffs and began, “Dr. Stephane Sterling you are under arrest for grand theft, You have the right to remain silent….”
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th May 2009 at 11:12 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Way to go, debbbora!

I wore Dazzling Gold ten or so years ago! Looking back I remember not liking Silver for the same reasons I don't like it here...and I also remember it coming in parfum concentration.

Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 24th May 2009 at 11:16 PM.

This was complete Awesomesauce! Thank you Mike and SMM and of course my fellow Angels, BlackCat and Sunnyfunny. You guys were a blast to play with. I'm sad it's over.

Basenotes Institution

After we dropped Dr. Sterling off at central booking Lt. Perez asked me if I’d like something to eat since it was my last day with his squad. I was hungry and I had unexpectedly enjoyed my time with the very different, than me, Lt. Perez.
    As we were finishing our coffee Lt. Perez said, “I have to say that when Capt. Osborne assigned you to me for this month I wasn’t pleased. I’d read your file and your past and reputation are, to put it mildly, colorful. After working with you for the last month you’re a much better cop than that file makes you out to be.”
    I have to say that coming from Lt. Perez that was high praise and made me feel pretty good.
    I shook my head and told him, “Thank you very much but if you’ve read my file you know that the situation in Candy Town is due in large part to my actions and it’s my responsibility to clean it up. Until GM and Mary Jane have joined Dr. Sterling behind bars my job down there isn’t complete.”
    I could see the look in Lt. Perez’s eyes that thought I was making a mistake but he said, “I understand and I hope that you know if you need my help you can call me.”
    I said, “Thanks that means a lot to me.”
    We shook hands outside the restaurant and went our separate ways. Lt. Perez back to his world and me back to Candy Town; with a sample of Andy Tauer’s Orris the Lieutenant gave me which I can’t wait to wear.

Thank you to TWolf and Lady_in_Black for a lot of behind-the-scene help coordinating this Round 3.

BIG THUMBS UP to my three participants - you girls really dove in there and even though you weren't prepared for all of the distracting stories and clue hunting, it all clicked together.

A high-five salute to the wonderful, creative and fun Somerville Metro Man for the stories - it would not have been as fun without your input. ((bowing gracefully))

Now, shall we pass the torch to Asha, for Round 4 - in June with the victims...I mean participants: Wordbird, Twolf and exquisitely me?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th May 2009 at 12:30 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

bleu autumn haze

This was so much fun to read and play along ... Thanks Mike and SMM for a fun story and congratulations to the Angels for your great sleuthing abilities.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    This was so much fun to read and play along ... Thanks Mike and SMM for a fun story and congratulations to the Angels for your great sleuthing abilities.
    My thoughts too! Great job & great fun!

Yay debbborra! Nice job. Now I'll have to sniff the EdT as well at some point.

Thanks so much to host extraordinaire Mike Perez and storyteller extraordinaire SMM for a very fun and education time. And to my fellow angels--I enjoyed sniffing with you girls.

Many thanks also to those who chimed in with support and hints. This reminded me of how much I still need to learn about note identification. An olfactory kit may be in my future!

Wow! You did it!!! What fun it's been to follow this very creative venture, and to wonder and conjecture along with the Angels.

This last fragrance sounds downright weird!

I just love this place...

Thank-you to Twolf and Mike for letting me sub this round, thank-you to SMM for such imaginative writing, and thank-you to debbbora and BlackCat for being such awesome and fun teammates! It's been a blast and well worth the wait. You all are :toppie: !

Oh well, although I didn't utter a peep I just read the whole thread and I have to say...Wow! I stand in awe. This round has been one with a twist and a totally different style....the background stories which gave a kind of suspense and context to all the sniffing and the original rules bent out of a shape ,
    Bravo mike, bravo SMM and bravo sniffers! A round to remember!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 26th May 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

My turn to hand out the kudos.
    To our sniffers, sunnyfunny, debbbora and BlackCat; thanks for allowing me to interpret you in my own warped way.
    to mikeperez23 I find my imagination needs a grain of sand for me to start spinning out of control on. The scents chosen and the theme were more than enough and thanks for the feedback all along the way if it came out good mike had a lot to do with that.

I had a lot of fun.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

This is the first blind sniff thread I've read and WOW! What an interesting and fascinating game! Thanks to all of you who put it on.

Packages for the June round of the 3x3 Blind Sniff were sent today via First Class Mail. I expect US packages to arrive before week's end, and the international packages sometime in the 2nd week of June. The theme will be disclosed when the round starts in a couple of weeks!

My backup will be Dimitri, the Sorcerer of Scent

Players will be Twolf, Exquisitely Me and Wordbird!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Packages for the June round of the 3x3 Blind Sniff were sent today via First Class Mail. I expect US packages to arrive before week's end, and the international packages sometime in the 2nd week of June. The theme will be disclosed when the round starts in a couple of weeks!

Yay!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

Can't wait for another great Blind Sniff
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Looking forward to following along!

Blog Entries

WOW! Just found this thread, had been checking BN so sparsely, I'd missed it completely!! *shocked*

What a fantastic game! I just caught up with the whole thread and had an absolute blast following you guys and all your guesses. Mike, SMM, you guys make a great team! And as for the three fabulous sniffers BlackCat, Sunnyfunny, and Debbborra: you're gonna be a tough act to follow! Not sure my newbie nose is up to the challenge, but your bravery is inspiring!

Besides, this looks like a ton of fun!

I got my package in the mail just yesterday, so I'm ready whenever the rest arrive.... OH!! I get to partner up with Wordie and Twolf!!

LOL, resisting that package is gonna be maddening... I'm worse than Pandora, but she had it easy, hers was just a boring ol' box, this is perfume... but not to worry! I've pre-emptively taken the still-tightly-bubble-wrapped little bundle and tucked it away out of sight and out of easy reach. Ha HA!! Take that temptation!

I'll be sure to keep my eye out for the these threads so I don't miss any more updates.
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Yes, exquisitely me, we'll have to lock those 3x3 vials in a vault to keep you from getting a head start

When I get word that everybody is ready, I'll post a new thread.

Got mine yesterday! Thank you, Asha dear.

Oh, I think we're all anticipating the kick off
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

All three players have received their packages, but I have not heard if my backup, Dimitri, has received his. Since Wordbird is leaving for a short trip, I suggest we start when she returns in mid-June.

Sounds like a plan! BTW, my backup -- when I was hosting a round -- did not get the scents as the sniffers did, they just knew what was being sniffed through a PM message, so this is something new about this round. Great idea, I s'pose.

:toppie:

Twolf, yes, I know it is not the norm. There were a couple that Dimitri has not smelled yet, so I thought it best that he have the same samples.

Blog Entries

I second the motion to delay. Wouldn't want to get started till everybody can join in. That's half the fun of it!!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

I really enjoyed reading this, what a blast! Looking forward to the next one very much It must have taken some time and effort to prep, but was definitely worth it.

I got word from Dimitri that his package arrived today...so it looks like we'll be all set to start sometime next week after Wordbird gets back home!

Well, I got my package AND I've brought the samples with me on my trip to Wales, so I am good to go!
    Asha, thank you so much for organising this. My nose is rubbish, but I will try really hard to contribute something useful or interesting.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooh, wonderful! Perhaps we should start in a couple days, then--is everybody up to play this weekend?