Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    If a flower not a flowery flower. It's kind of like desitin and gum, a little bit. Sweet, acrid and pleasant.
    Nice description.

O.K., this is somewhat similar to my sample of Daim Blond, but without the apricot and with more powder.

This is a tough one. I think I might need another hint or two.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

My guess is that the bottle is packaged with a tassel. No help to me. But I thought worth pointing at.

Basenotes Institution

As far as I know, there is no incense/frankincense in B - I am wearing it this afternoon and I don't perceive anything incense-like myself...although I could see how one could interpret the top notes that way.

The florals are subdued, yes, but there are florals listed in the top notes. Sunnyfunny was close in her PM to me this morning.

All three of you have correctly named the same note in B.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hmmmmm. . . The plot thickens. . . .

I suspect I sometimes confuse dry notes for incense. But I'm usually a good flower sniffer. Perhaps I'll have to spray again.

I saw all three of us mention amber, as well as bergamot.

Sunnyfunny, what was your guess? Inquiring minds want to know!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

Go and sniff it again, please? Jasmine, artemisia, lavender, touberose, geranium?

Please also correct me if I am wrong, dear sniffers:

Top: Citrus, wood, subtle flowers;
    Heart: powdery -- suede;
    Base: Amber, precious woods.

Am I missing something? Perhaps, musk and patchouli?
    Currently wearing: Epic Woman by Amouage

Patchouli is possible I guess.

Twolf, that looks about right to me. Ladies?

I sprayed again--heavily--to check out the top notes. I think I was confusing the dry woods for incense. Also, perhaps there's a hint of pepper in there?

This time I think I smell a hint of flowers, but what kind, I really couldn't say. It's definitely not one of the louder ones, like tuberose. Nor does it smell astringent enough to me for lavender. It could be iris or heliotrope due to the presence of powder earlier on.

Lt. Mike, this angel is really stumped so far. I'll be interested to hear what the other angels say.

Basenotes Institution

debbborra and BlackCat are headed in the right direction with the notes they've just mentioned.

There is NO citrus in the top notes of B.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oud?
    Is it a Kilian fragrance?

Really? Desitin and gum?

Still thinking about the bad girl, the story and packaging. I'm still wondering about a black tassel, and if it's a red herring and if not if it's literal. So, I thought of Kilian and I'm also wondering about Juilette Has a Gun. I've never smelled their juice, but that name conjures up visions of bad girls.

Basenotes Institution

Oud?
    Is it a Kilian fragrance?

Really? Desitin and gum?

Still thinking about the bad girl, the story and packaging. I'm still wondering about a black tassel, and if it's a red herring and if not if it's literal. So, I thought of Kilian and I'm also wondering about Juilette Has a Gun. I've never smelled their juice, but that name conjures up visions of bad girls.
    No oud. Not a By Kilian fragrance.

No idea what desitin is...do you mean like tree gum?

B is not a JHAG fragrance either.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ok, I'm going to stop thinking about the packaging now.

I'm then thinking about Ambre Fetiche.

Except that does have frankincense.

Basenotes Institution

I'd better start guessing without giving you, detectives, any more hints!

Currently wearing: Epic Woman by Amouage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No idea what desitin is...do you mean like tree gum?
    Desitin is a diaper rash ointment. It doesn't smell bad but it does have a distinctive smell.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Ok, I'm going to stop thinking about the packaging now.

B isn't AF. But that's a very good guess, but B doesn't have frankincense or labdanum.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Desitin is a diaper rash ointment. It doesn't smell bad but it does have a distinctive smell.
    Ah. Never smelled it.

B smells like nothing like an ointment, to my nose.

-- Eckhart Tolle

So, amber
    Sandalwood and patchouli?

I really think what I am interpreting as Desitin is a spice Caraway, Cardamon, Cinnamon. Something mild and distinctive.

Maybe it is heliotrope.

Or fennel?

Mimosa's powdery, too. I think there is some spice, but I'm so distracted by the powder accord that I'm having a hard time teasing notes out. This is what I get for avoiding powdery fragrances. D'oh! Although it also seems very well-blended, which can make things tougher.

Evolution is pretty subtle, although I get more of notes weaving in and out than a direct progression. And on a second, more vigorous spray, I'm getting more sillage and projection, although this still seems to be fairly close wearing.

O.K., from rounding up clues, it sounds like there is amber but not bergamot (which is citrus, I believe).

Top: at least two subtle flowers (maybe iris, mimosa, and/or heliotrope), woods, and maybe some spices?

Middle: Powdery (flowers again?), sandalwood, spices?

Base: Sandalwood, amber, and a very gentle, rounded patchouli.

If no labdanum it can't be wode.

Basenotes Institution

BlackCat you are on the right track.

I doubt the powderiness of B is due to a yet unnamed floral, and more due to a note you have named correctly. As I said before, the florals are quite muted by the other top notes, but then again...Sunnyfunny PM'd me a fragrance which clearly has that floral in it. So that made me take pause.

Your suggestions for the base notes are going in the right direction.

Not one of you has mentioned an integral note, in the middle notes, that perhaps untrained nose(s) might miss. I almost missed it myself. But when I deciphered it, every time I smell B, I can smell it clearly .

-- Eckhart Tolle

Is there mint?

I think BlackCat is on to something with the iris. Is it iris?

Blog Entries

The baddest girl I can think of Is Paris Hilton. Is it by chance, The Heiress?

Basenotes Institution

Is there mint?
    No

I think BlackCat is on to something with the iris. Is it iris?
    Yes there is - but I could hardly smell it. The other floral is more evident to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The baddest girl I can think of Is Paris Hilton. Is it by chance, The Heiress?
    No

-- Eckhart Tolle

Peony?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post

Sunnyfunny, what was your guess? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Amber Ylang-Ylang.

I'd been toying with that one, myself. Then I thought Keiko Mecheri Crystal d'Ambre, but I'm wearing it side by side with B and I like B better.

My guess is that the bottle is packaged with a tassel. No help to me. But I thought worth pointing at.
    We seem to be thinking similarly, debbbora, because I was there with the tassel, too!

Okay. So amber and ylang, but no bergamot. Is there cinnamon? If so, I have another guess.
    Currently wearing: Arpège by Lanvin