Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

Nice guess, Sunny Funny.

The weird thing is that I'd never peg this as an amber fragrance, at least on me. While I can find the accord, it doesn't jump out at me. And I never would have guessed ylang ylang.

Oh, this is a tough one!

O.K., after resorting to a notes database, I'm going to guess Agent Provocateur Strip. (Works with the tassle imagery.)
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 3 'The Good Girl, The Bad Girl & The Robot Girl'

I buy that

Blog Entries

Me, too I still don't think it smells sexy, though.
    Currently wearing: Arpège by Lanvin

Oh my, what an excellent read! Sorry I'm so late - just wanted to say what a great job you guys are doing! Love the stories SMM. Mike, that story about your hubby is adorable!

This one sounds really nice. Black Cat, does it have a bit of a Champs Elysees vibe? I find most mimosa fragrances tend to, to my nose. You list spices in your pyramid - which ones? Were they the cinnamon and cardamom mentioned earlier?

Heliotrope smells like synthetic cherry flavouring to me - do any of you smell that?

Wow I'm getting so curious! *Lurks around the BN directory*

It doesn't have the cherry thing, and it isn't sexy. It's cool (like hip cool, not cold cool) and kind of intellectual. For me anyway. Sexy is of course subjective.

Oh, this is a fun read! Now wait a minute. Someone made the assumption that the fragrance has ylang-ylang. MikeP says that Amber Ylang-Ylang contains a floral that is in #2, but didn't say it's ylang-ylang. AYY also contains geranium and Bulgarian rose.

People are smelling spices (maybe). Any chance there is carnation? Any clove-like smells? Carnation can be powdery, too.

Right now I'm really wondering about geranium, and possibly carnation.

Mike said no mint, but did you rule out tea? There's an unidentified note that isn't a flower, according to Mike.

Another question. You were asked about the target audience. Could this dry and "hip" smelling fragrance be a man's fragrance? It sounds like it could be - or "unisex", anyway! Hmm... and what is the bad girl connection?
    Last edited by Haunani; 23rd May 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Basenotes Institution

That "British accent" mention is still weighing heavily on my mind, but I do not believe it is a designer fragrance and Agent Provocateur in any re-incarnation is a designer company.

I would also like to hear the answer about the targeted audience and a general mood (boring/contented/to provoke/to calm).

This is turning to be the most difficult round up to date! Good job, Lt. MP!

I think the smell is not feminine at all. But for me it doesn't ring masculine either.

If it is Agent Provocateur my reaction seems completely inappropriate, or their product has failed or wasn't intended to do, as I imagine is, how they usually choose to succeed. (Let's not parse that sentence. It's early.)

It smells very well constructed and as though the ingredients are of high quality. But it's again, I know I keep using this word, dry rather than sultry. I guess I think of AP as sexy.
    Last edited by debbborra; 23rd May 2009 at 12:32 PM.

I think the mood is thoughtful but not solemn.

My guess is that the intended audience is late twenties to forties. Grown ups.

Basenotes Institution

We have a winner!

BlackCat has guesses correctly, that the contents of B is Strip by Agent Provacateur!

Yes, Sunnyfunny, it was the ylang ylang, in your guess yesterday (for Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder) that was very close. And of course, the tassel that debbborra could not seem to let go of, that was a clue to the bottle.

The notes of Strip are: ylang ylang, iris bud, geranium bourbon, amber, vetiver from Haiti, precious exotic woods and musk.

The vetiver is the note that I really wanted you ladies to try and decipher - it contributes to the harsh, almost turned-soil note that makes Strip a little dirty. The patchouli is very evident (in that chocolate-y way it gets) in the base notes also and along with the musk gives it a feeling like vintage Tabu in the drydown. A little. Strip is a very amber prominent scent - that's the powdery aspect you smelled, along with the iris which makes it even more dusty.

It is a very masculine scent. I got samples of it from Ruggles, who owns a bottle and he wears it proudly. There's also an element of tobacco in the scent, at the base notes, that no one smelled or mentioned at all. It also tends to 'butch' up this feminine scent too.

I believe Strip is a limited edition scent and has very limited availability here in the US. I do not know who the perfumer is (if anyone knows please post it). The bottle, looks just like the original AP, but is red.

There was also 2 hints in the story above. The Agent Provacateur flagship store is in London. It is on Broadwick Street - the last name of the mother in the story. She had a British accent, referencing that this was a British fragrance house.

Good job ladies - that was quite a collaboration. Here's the finale to our story:

Lt. Perez and I were in the bullpen going through the list of Caroline's friends Mrs. Broadwick gave us when we got the call from Mike's Angels. They had identified the scent as Agent Provocateur Strip. When Lt. Perez told me, his next words were to wipe the grin off my face. Why? I knew our next stop was the Scented Strip Club just outside The Patou Projects. Were we surprised, when we got there, as I expected to find a very underage Caroline dancing on a pole. Instead upon questioning the performers we found out Caroline was their costume designer. She had sewn every sequin and feather on every bit of cloth in that dressing room. We asked the ladies if they knew where she was and they looked at each other wondering if they should give up the secret. Lt. Perez said, “You might not think her mother is the best but she is worried and that's why we're here.” That plea got them to tell us where she was.

We drove to the Armani Institute of Fashion Design and there we found Caroline putting the finishing touches on a number of costumes. It seems she needed to go for two straight days to finish a job for one of the girls who was going on tour. The money she would make would pay the rent for two months. Once again we were faced with a teenager asking us not to tell her parent about where she was. This time because she didn't want her mother to feel any worse about living on the edge. Once again we told a lie about where we found the missing daughter. This time it was better for her mother to think she was a bad girl so that she could continue to be a very good girl.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I sure do love these stories.

Basenotes Institution

Two designer fragrances in one round? Is it safe to think that the third one is going to be a designer fragrance as well?

Basenotes Institution

And here we are at C:

The Robot Girl

The month was finally winding down and I was going to miss talking perfume with Lt. Perez. Not only was he a better detective than me but he had a better cologne collection. Although as thanks for helping he’d given me a bunch of new things to try.
    I had just returned from lunch when he was standing and waiting for me.
    I looked at him and said, “Where to?”
    He smiled at me and said, “This one is going to be different.”
    “We’re headed out to the smart side of town”
    I groaned because I knew he wasn’t talking about well-dressed he was talking brainy and that meant we were headed to Fragrance Flats. Fragrance Flats was the research section of Basenotes City it was where all of the big fragrance firms operated as well as the smaller upstarts hoping to become one of the big boys or at least to get bought by one of them. The one common thread between large and small was they all thought they knew more than anybody else. Even when they asked for help they did it with an air of knowing more than the rest of us poor dolts.
    I hate going out to Fragrance Flats.
    What insecurity complex?
    We pulled up to a small building on the edge of the Flats and I looked at its name, “Auto Scents” and I knew we weren’t going to find pine-tree shaped air fresheners inside.
    We walked down a walkway lined with lilies and through the revolving door and I was immediately hit by a scent that made me feel as if I was tasting metal while smelling flowers. As we walked to the reception desk I asked Lt. Perez, “Do you smell that?” He looked at me and said, “How can you not? Though it smells familiar.”
    We gave our names to reception and she called back and out came a tall man in a white lab coat over an expensive suit. He walked right up to us and introduced himself, “I’m Dr. Sterling director of R&D here at Auto Scents.”
    Lt. Perez replied, “We were told there was a case of vandalism and breaking and entering. Can you show us where it took place and tell us what happened?”
    “Follow me detectives and I’ll take you back to the labs. I can fill you in while we walk.”
    He looked at both of us and asked how much we knew about Auto Scents when we both responded with blank stares.
    I felt the need to open my mouth and said, “You make air fresheners for cars?”
    In response I got the look that all the smart guys seem to come genetically equipped with. The one that says once again I’m going to have to explain something over this mere mortal’s head. Ok, yeah, maybe I do have an inferiority complex.
    Dr Sterling began, “Here at Auto Scents we are designing an automated scent synthesizer. Imagine being able to walk up to our synthesizer and name any perfume ever made and have it made for you right on the spot. We would be able to put one of these in any store anywhere in the world it would truly make scent a universal experience.”
    By this point we had arrived at the lab and as we walked in I was expecting to see some machine that looked like a vending machine. Instead I was looking at a curvy silver woman, a Robot Girl.
    Dr. Sterling looked much too pleased with himself watching my reaction. He confirmed that impression as he chuckled and said to me, “You look like you were expecting a soda machine and not MISS, detective.”
    I had to ask, “What does MISS stand for?”
    Once again I was met with the supercilious smile as he answered, “Modular Integrated Scent Synthesizer”
    Just what the world needs one more acronym.
    Lt. Perez spoke up and said to Dr. Sterling, “She looks undamaged to me.”
    Dr. Sterling got to turn the condescending look on Lt. Perez this time as he replied, “Not if you look closer detective. Can’t you see the Modular part of MISS is missing? To make it simple for you she’s been lobotomized.”
    Lt. Perez clearly didn’t have my issues as he stared down Dr. Sterling and said, “Obviously with all of the security in place this had to be an inside job. Also with that scent you pump through the air it has to permeate everything and so the MISS Module will smell like that.”
    Dr. Sterling said, “That’s a proprietary scent unique to Auto Scents. It was developed by the daughter of our Founder and CEO, Eve. Their family has a long-standing tradition of perfume making”
    Lt. Perez got his chance to smile condescendingly and say, “I don’t think so as I know I’ve smelled it before. I’m going to need a sample of it to give to my detectives as they keep an eye out for the missing MISS module.”
    I could tell Lt. Perez had unsettled the snooty Sterling and I inwardly smiled as Dr. Sterling meekly replied, “I will cooperate in any way Lieutenant. I’m going to have to supply you with a parfum strength version since that is what we put into the air system before it is diluted.”
    As we were driving away I asked the lieutenant, “Do you really think you recognize that scent?” He looked at me and said, “That’s what sunnyfunny, debbborra and BlackCat are going to tell us.”
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd May 2009 at 02:26 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Everyone - I will be off line for a considerable amount of time today so please feel free to post your comments and impressions but I won't be able to respond to them until later on.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Melon? Flowers something kind of chemical. Hmmm.

I want to say jasmine.

And I'm far from certain about the melon, I guess I mean something wet.
    Last edited by debbborra; 23rd May 2009 at 03:27 PM.

I just know this will end up being the most expensive of the three and i'll look like an idiot, but I keep thinking this is one of those if you like X try our _____ fragrances.

Rose. I'm certain.
    Freesia or lily?

I still can't believe B was a designer fragrance, especially one named "Strip." On me, it came across as quite dry, austere, and tending towards the masculine. And I was certain it was niche, only because it was a bit odd and quite unisex. AP does tend to be a bit edgier and more niche-like than the usual designer fragrance, but still . . . .

Good one, Lt. Perez! That was a toughie.
    Excellent story as usual, SMM.

O.K., moving on to C. . . .

Juice is a very pale yellow.
    Genre appears to be "fresh" or "fresh floral."

Definite "fresh" note right out of the gate. I don't get melon or Calone per se, but something fresh like those. I agree, debbborra, it seems slightly aquatic.

There are sweet flowers, which makes me think freesia too. If there's jasmine, it's pretty neutered--no indoles here. Maybe lotus? I'm not getting rose yet, but I've learned from round one that I'm apparently slightly rose-impaired

I'm also getting just the slightest hint of metal, but that may be due to the power of suggestion. It's not like an iris soliflore on me, which I experience as getting hit in the face with a metal chain.

I also agree that this seems like a drugstore fragrance. And I'm guessing American.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Go angels! I'm sure curious about this Robot Girl segment.

O.K., now I am getting some Calone.

Does anyone else get a little bit of salt?

Blog Entries

Good afternoon all!

I, too, get metal and lily and I think those are correct due to the nature of this puzzle and to the clues given. We all agree about the jasmine. I haven't gotten any calone; I did get a wierd, misplaced savory spice reminiscent of Indian or middle eastern cooking. Maybe that's partially salt and I don't recognise it yet?

Do you think the parfum strength comment was a red herring? This one took the longest to evaporate of the three on my skin, so I think it could very well be, thus eliminating drugstore fragrance from the equation...What do you think?
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 23rd May 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

The drydown reminds me quite a bit of i Profumi di Firenze's Brezza di Mare, although BdM is fuller-bodied. (Notes for BdM are sea salt, bergamot, lemons, limes, watermelon.)

Good point, Sunnyfunny, about the parfum. If it's parfum, it's definitely not drugstore. It does have good longevity, so it may well indeed be parfum.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 23rd May 2009 at 07:00 PM.

So it may have an ozone note with sweet floral(s) that may be some kind of lily, jasmine, and/or rose.

I'm curious about the base. Are people getting wood? Vanilla? Amber? Musk?

The perfume strength thing may end up being a very good clue, if it's not a red herring! And why "Auto Scents" and "Dr. Sterling"?
    Last edited by Haunani; 23rd May 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Iris! I'm pretty sure that's what I'm getting! I think iris is responsible for the metal and the spice. I've never actually smelled an iris fragrance before (although something I own reportedly has some in it, somewhere) and the reason I suspect this is because I smelled a lot of iris a couple days ago, at one of the local gardens. I just reapplied and disco, that's when it hit me! This is earthier, more iris still attatched to its rhizome and ready to be transplanted then simply smelling the bloom.
    And Haunani, about the base, that was actually where I maybe got some weak calone. Maybe musk. I'll just have to wait and see where this second testing takes me!

Now I'm starting to question the jasmine..
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 23rd May 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: another thought : )

Blog Entries

Sterling...iris...I have a guess!

I'm not sure what Calone is. Would I know if you explained?

It's so much better a couple of hours in, but the first two hours, I confess I was getting all sorts of interesting notes, like detergent, pee pee, and bad perm.

Later in the afternoon, a really nice carnation.
    Last edited by debbborra; 23rd May 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

I think calone is the synthetic that gives frags their 'aquatic' notes.

Ahhh. Yes. That could be it.

Basenotes Institution

You are doing great ladies!

debbborra - your very first post after the story was extremely spot on - your nose is getting good at this sweetie!

There is NO melon, iris, carnation, musk or aquatics in the notes - but I can see how you girls are getting that impression.

Both debbborra and Sunnyfunny named a correct floral note in the pyramid of C. BlackCat named another one all by herself. There is a prominent floral note, in the top and middle notes, that no one has mentioned yet.

Do you like it ladies? Would you wear it? If so, is it a seasonal scent (summer/winter)?

Who do you think the intended audience is?

What are the base notes like, besides the salt and calone you've described?

Is it unisex?

Does it remind you of any other fragrances?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th May 2009 at 01:29 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle