Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 77

Thread: Mazzolari Lui

  1. #1

    Default Mazzolari Lui

    I read a lot of positive comments about Mazzolari Lui on an earlier "manly scent" thread, and it sounds like something I'd like to try, but I can't find anyplace on the net that sells it. Where can I score me some??

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    I hope you sample first, I love it but i can see where many wont.

  4. #4
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Definitely try before you buy....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    I was just looking at the Luckyscent site and was shocked at how they're gouging clients. My good friend was kind enough to pick up a bottle of the Patchouly Mazzolari for me when she was in Milan and the cost was only $110 dolllars(and that was in Canadian funds!)
    Last edited by graffham; 21st May 2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I was just looking at the Luckyscent site and was shocked at how they're gouging clients. My good friend was kind enough to pick up a bottle of the Patchouly Mazzolari for me when she was in Milan and the cost was only $110 dolllars(and that was in Canadian funds!)
    I need friends in Italy.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I was just looking at the Luckyscent site and was shocked at how they're gouging clients. My good friend was kind enough to pick up a bottle of the Patchouly Mazzolari for me when she was in Milan and the cost was only $110 dolllars(and that was in Canadian funds!)
    Every thing lucky scent is overpriced , I purchased Hinoki from Tobi for 25 bones less and Miller Harris for 50 bones less.

  8. #8
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,004
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Who is this Tobi?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    I also recommend trying it from a sample first (from luckyscent or Perfumed Court). It is beastly, and I am sure alot of people would be turned off by it. I happen to love it, when not overapplied!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Mazzolari Lui is a powerhouse - I would not blind buy it - test first! I prefer Mazzolari's Patchouli to Lui even though both use patchouli extensively but the Patchouli fragrance is a bit more natural use of patch. One of if not the best patchouli fragrances there is!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Who is this Tobi?
    Tobi.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Well actually the MH was from Beautyencounter.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Mazzolari Lui is a powerhouse - I would not blind buy it - test first! I prefer Mazzolari's Patchouli to Lui even though both use patchouli extensively but the Patchouli fragrance is a bit more natural use of patch. One of if not the best patchouli fragrances there is!

    Just wondering why so many people are recommending testing first. Personally, I love non-trendy, unique fragrances that many people with more mainstream tastes may consider smelly. Two of my all-time faves are Yatagan and Kouros, both of which seem to be very controversial amongst fragrance lovers as being too "animalic" and potent.

    Could some of you be a little more specific about why I should test first? The reason I'm asking is because I don't know how the heck I'm going to be able to lay my hands on a sample - I can't find it anywhere in even the high end stores in my area (Boston).

  14. #14

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Oops - I just went to LuckyScent and noticed they sell samples.

    By the way, is Mazzolari Lei the same as what I call "Mazzolari Lui"?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post

    By the way, is Mazzolari Lei the same as what I call "Mazzolari Lui"?
    No.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Shamu, in Italian, Lui is "he" and Lei is "she". In the luckyscent web site, there is a link for men's fragrances. If you are having trouble finding Lui, try linking through the men's side.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd May 2009 at 03:10 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Thanks. I knew "lui" was "him" in French, but I didn't know it was the same in Italian. I found Mazzolari Lui on the site now.

  18. #18

    Default Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    Now that I've been sent in the right direction, I just ordered a sample of Mazzolari Lui from LuckyScent. The web site describes it as some wild, spicy, powerful scent. The way I read it, it sounds like it's Creed's Bois du Portugal on steroids. Am I right?

    I'm interested in hearing about whether there are any other fragrances that it smells similar to. I know, I know, I'll find out when I get my sample, but my curiosity is killing me NOW.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    It is very strong animalic components (castoreum, at the very least) combined with woody, smoky notes and patchouli. It has a definite leather and booze vibe. I don't know what BdP smells like, but I don't imagine Creed as a house would release something like Lui.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd May 2009 at 03:39 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    It is very strong animalic components (castoreum, at the very least) combined with woody, smoky notes and patchouli. It has a definite leather and booze vibe. I don't know what BdP smells like, but I don't imagine Creed as a house would release something like Lui.

    Sounds like it's exactly the kind of frag I'm looking for!! I can't wait to get my sample! Your description reminds me of Yatagan.

  21. #21
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,610
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    The closest you would find is Givenchy Gentleman.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

    Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

  22. #22

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    The closest you would find is Givenchy Gentleman.

    Hopefully you mean the vintage GG - the new formulation is lousy, IMO.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Two of my all-time faves are Yatagan and Kouros, both of which seem to be very controversial amongst fragrance lovers as being too "animalic" and potent.
    You will be fine if you wanted to get it blind. We would appear to have similar tastes and Lui is a favorite of mine. I think I'll wear it tomorrow as well.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Sounds like it's exactly the kind of frag I'm looking for!! I can't wait to get my sample! Your description reminds me of Yatagan.
    Yatagan is dry and herbal, that's not Lui at all. Lui is amber and patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Hopefully you mean the vintage GG - the new formulation is lousy, IMO.
    Yes it would be closer to the vintage juice. Maybe if vintage GG and Parfum d'Habit had a wild night this would be their offspring.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Just wondering why so many people are recommending testing first. Personally, I love non-trendy, unique fragrances that many people with more mainstream tastes may consider smelly. Two of my all-time faves are Yatagan and Kouros, both of which seem to be very controversial amongst fragrance lovers as being too "animalic" and potent.

    Could some of you be a little more specific about why I should test first? The reason I'm asking is because I don't know how the heck I'm going to be able to lay my hands on a sample - I can't find it anywhere in even the high end stores in my area (Boston).
    While i never tried Yatagan ,i own Kouros and don't care much for it .However Lui is lovely....But i m also a Patch lover so maybe that's why Lui appeals to me.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Tobi.com
    my name is kunta-kinte.com
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

  27. #27

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    Although they are both potent frags, Lui is in a class by itself regarding its animalic strength and longevity. I don't see any similarities between the two regarding their notes.
    Last edited by stuigi; 22nd May 2009 at 11:26 AM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    The closest things I know are Musk Ravageur and Laura Tonatto's Re. Yup: big, dirty patchouli, sweetish amber and something or things animalic.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui - Bois du Portugal on steroids??

    it doesnt smell anything like BdP. think of it as a Fur coat scented by sweetened patchouli and amber..

  30. #30
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,004
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    I don't mean to be off topic but I looked at Tobi.com and about all they had was Commes des Garcons. Is the stock always changing? I found the fragrance section very small, unless I was looking at the wrong place.

  31. #31

    Default Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    I'm curious about trying Mazzolari Patchouli. The descriptions I've read sound really interesting, but I don't like patchouli by itself. I'd like to know what this one is like, and whether the patchouli note is really loud. I've enjoyed some frags that have patchouli notes (Yatagan, Polo, Balenciaga PH, eg., ), but I can't stand the smell of raw patchouli (i.e., hippie/pothead scent)

  32. #32

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    If you don't like patchouli then it seems obvious that you should stay away from this and any other patchouly based product. This is a very handsome scent, full of character. Unlike some of the fragrances you have tried with patchouly 'buried' in the pyramid notes, this scent is based on patchouly and though not 'raw' like the oil, it is unmistakably patchouly.
    Last edited by graffham; 24th May 2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    You're in trouble . Better go with L'Artisan Patchouli Patch, that disappears on me within 10 seconds .
    Actually, even Mazzolari Lui is really patchouli-heavy -it's brilliant patchouli, not like the cheap headshop stuff, but very clearly and insistingly patchouli. Perhaps you should Try Mazzolari Mazzolari first, which is also brilliant, but woody-green.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    You don´t like patchouly? OK, then hands off this scent. The patchouly in here is big, raw, earthy and only slightly sweetened by a little amber and cinnamon.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Thanks for the advice. I'm still curious, though. What are the other notes? Perhaps I might still like it. Bottom line is that I'm just looking to try something really different than what I usually wear.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    You're in trouble . Better go with L'Artisan Patchouli Patch, that disappears on me within 10 seconds .
    Actually, even Mazzolari Lui is really patchouli-heavy -it's brilliant patchouli, not like the cheap headshop stuff, but very clearly and insistingly patchouli. Perhaps you should Try Mazzolari Mazzolari first, which is also brilliant, but woody-green.
    It doesn't smell like the headshop stuff? Good - I absolutely despise that stuff. Maybe it's just that I've never smelled good quality patchouli, only the wretched stuff.

  37. #37
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I'm curious about trying Mazzolari Patchouli. The descriptions I've read sound really interesting, but I don't like patchouli by itself. I'd like to know what this one is like, and whether the patchouli note is really loud. I've enjoyed some frags that have patchouli notes (Yatagan, Polo, Balenciaga PH, eg., ), but I can't stand the smell of raw patchouli (i.e., hippie/pothead scent)
    Maybe the idea of green reminds you of your spliff-hogging friends? bad bad joke.

    I usually find Patchouli to be more prominent in dry downs. And llike anyone reading ur plight, i wouldnt go near something i clearly dislike. oh but there's tjat 180 deg u turn theory.
    here have some of my 900 and Tuscany and Gentleman, thats the best i patchouli i can afford

    :P
    Last edited by MFJ; 24th May 2009 at 12:59 PM.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Patchouli oil is not that expensive so unlike with sandalwood oil it's unlikely that you just think you don't like it because you haven't smelled the good stuff. And Mazzolari does smell basically like patchouli oil. That said, the Mazzolari is nicely rounded with amber. I might even call it creamy, and it isn't particularly earthy or even boozy. It's a clean, rich, likable patchouli. But, sheesh, expensive!

  39. #39

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    I don't consider myself a lover of patchouli, but this blend does it right. Love the amber blending here. I think it is worth sampling.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Thank you. I'm going to order a sample. It's only 4 bucks. I'm still interested in hearing more thoughts about this one.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Patchouli is one of my favorites taking me back to my 60's younger days. Mazzolari Patchouli is great. I don't own it, but have sampled it often and is on my to buy list. You are on the right path by sampling it for yourself - its the only way to really know. But that said, I think Mazzolari is one of the best pure patchouli fragrances there is even though it is softened slightly by a bit of amber and keeps a sour wild edge with a honey essence ingredient. Another great pure patchouli type fragrance that is not too harsh is Patchouly Inonesiano by Farmacia Annunziata. These are the two best pure patch fragrances I've tried.

    Some others that are great patchouli fragrances but are blended more with other things to tone down the patchouli - all bottle worthy in my opninion, are:

    Borneo 1834 - dark chocolate and patchouli
    Couromandel - chocolate, patchouli and other things
    McCallef Pathchouli - violet, orris, vetiver, cedar and then lots of patchouli.
    Il Profumo Patchouli Noir - mint, cedar, vanilla then patchouli.
    L'Hombre Fauve by PG - amber, sour honey note, into patchouli by the ending.
    Ice*Men - a wooded citrus that cools down into light patchouli
    Straight to Heaven - coconut rum and patchouli

    But after all this rambling, I still think Mazzolari is a great patchouli fragrance. it is hard to beat.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    May I recommend something I believe to be a wonderful introduction to patchouli that's extremely friendly. Hippe patchouli it's not.

    Coromandel by Chanel

  43. #43
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I read a lot of positive comments about Mazzolari Lui on an earlier "manly scent" thread, and it sounds like something I'd like to try, but I can't find anyplace on the net that sells it. Where can I score me some??
    I recommend a sample wearing. Great frag and a little on the sweet side to me, but if you like power scents, this strongman will take you for a ride. Sillage and longevity are excellent.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I don't mean to be off topic but I looked at Tobi.com and about all they had was Commes des Garcons. Is the stock always changing? I found the fragrance section very small, unless I was looking at the wrong place.
    Yes their fragrance section is very small.

  45. #45

    Default Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    I just got my sample of Mazzolair Lui today from LuckyScent, and HOLY S&*T!! This is EXACTLY the kind of fragrance I've been looking for - animalic, "dirty", musky and rich! I thought Kouros and Yatagan won the prizes for the being the two most virile fragrances on the market, but I have to say that this one has the edge even over them!

    I want to thank all of the BN'ers who replied to my "dirty scent" and "Mazzolari Lui" threads I posted last week, for directing me to this marvel, as well as directing me to LuckyScent, and the interesting descriptions. I'm definitely getting a full bottle of this potion!

    P.S. Do you know of any women who wear this one? I know it's considered a man's scent, but I think it would be EXTREMELY sexy on a woman! I'll have my wife try it out - she's not afraid of wearing men's frags..

  46. #46
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    I have to try it , I REALLY HAVE TO TRY IT!
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    I fell in love on first sniff. But i really can't see a women pulling this off, My wife hates it.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    I love Lui and wear it as the evening version of the cuddlier Lei.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I have to try it , I REALLY HAVE TO TRY IT!

    The best way I would describe it as a blend of Kouros and Givenchy Gentleman, but drier than either of them, without the sweetness of GG, without Kouros' floral notes, and a more prominent civet note than Kouros. It definitely has that "clean Men's Room" feel that Kouros has, only it's a men's room at an exclusive club where guys dress in tuxedoes and smoke expensive cigars. Very animalic, but not perverse - just extremely masculine.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I fell in love on first sniff. But i really can't see a women pulling this off, My wife hates it.
    Your wife hates it? Do her tastes lean more towards lighter/fruitier men's fragrances? I'm just asking because I haven't had my wife smell it yet, though she'll probably like it considering she loves Yatagan and Kouros on me.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Your wife hates it? Do her tastes lean more towards lighter/fruitier men's fragrances? I'm just asking because I haven't had my wife smell it yet, though she'll probably like it considering she loves Yatagan and Kouros on me.
    She's more into gourmands and fresh but light scents..

  52. #52

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Congrats on ur new love shamu1! I remember the first time I smelt it, I was blown away by it's smooth, rounded animalicness (if that's even a word )

  53. #53
    summer means fireflys
    shadesofbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jayhawk country!
    Posts
    10,239

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    P.S. Do you know of any women who wear this one? I know it's considered a man's scent, but I think it would be EXTREMELY sexy on a woman! I'll have my wife try it out - she's not afraid of wearing men's frags..
    I've worn this before! And I love it too ... although I will admit, I've only dabbed it on in small doses from a sample vial. I'm almost afraid to spray it liberally! I think it is very sexy ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

  54. #54

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    You know, these Lui threads drive me crazy! I love Kouros, Yatagan, and Parfum d'Habit. I even love Salvador Dali PH and Fumidus for god's sake, but I just don't like Lui. Every time this comes up, I re-test it and come to the same conclusion. I surely must be missing something, but I just don't like it. I like Mazzolari Mazzolari better, but I think that one smells like a combination between Yatagan and Bois du Portugal, but I like both of those better. I want to like Mazzolari, but I just can't find the love.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Is there cocoa in the opening? I smell cocoa.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Mazzolari Lui: THANK YOU!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Is there cocoa in the opening? I smell cocoa.

    I don't smell cocoa - I smell caa caa, as in that of a civet cat.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

    Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Well, I finally scored a sample of Mazzolari Patchouli, and even though I've always thought I hated patchouli, this is one great fragrance! If this is what good quality patchouli scents smell like, then I'm now a convert. I'd consider buying it, but considering it's $175, that it smells like the drydown of Lui (which I already have), and smells to me a lot like Bois du Portugal (which I also have), I think I'll pass on this. But man, what a great scent!!

  58. #58

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    May I recommend something I believe to be a wonderful introduction to patchouli that's extremely friendly. Hippe patchouli it's not.

    Coromandel by Chanel
    What he said - a thing of sublime beauty.

    I was there in the late 60s when the air was full of it and it's interesting to see Patchouli is still such a player - Lutens Borneo does take me back a bit to that era. I wouldn't buy Borneo but I've sampled a few times and despite Luca Turin's comments and the fact that C. Sheldrake composed both I just don't see the connection between these two . . .

  59. #59

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Well, I finally scored a sample of Mazzolari Patchouli, and even though I've always thought I hated patchouli, this is one great fragrance! If this is what good quality patchouli scents smell like, then I'm now a convert. I'd consider buying it, but considering it's $175, that it smells like the drydown of Lui (which I already have), and smells to me a lot like Bois du Portugal (which I also have), I think I'll pass on this. But man, what a great scent!!
    I am so happy you tried it and and that you liked it too. My experience was similar to yours.

  60. #60

    Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli - what if I don't like patchouli

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    What he said - a thing of sublime beauty.

    I was there in the late 60s when the air was full of it and it's interesting to see Patchouli is still such a player - Lutens Borneo does take me back a bit to that era. I wouldn't buy Borneo but I've sampled a few times and despite Luca Turin's comments and the fact that C. Sheldrake composed both I just don't see the connection between these two . . .
    I didn't perceive the relationship either, at least when I first started wearing Borneo and Coromandel. After spending some time with them, I do get a common dry and powdery note. In the context of Borneo, it smells much more earthy, and in Coromandel, more floral. I still do not smell "white chocolate" in Coromandel, though.

Similar Threads

  1. 5 from Mazzolari: Part 2 -- Lui
    By juggernet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th November 2012, 11:10 PM
  2. Mazzolari Lui
    By bbobkc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29th December 2008, 05:04 AM
  3. Mazzolari Lui edt
    By graffham in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th December 2006, 01:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •