Code of Conduct

Default L'heure bleue question

Hey y'all! I've recently fallen in love with L'heure Bleue and just bought the EDP. My question is, does the EDP really differ from the parfum? Also does the vintage parfum or EDP (parfum de toilette) differ from today? And where can I purchase vintage bottles other than ebay? THNX!

Default Re: L'heure bleue question

I believe you mistyped yourself a few times. There's perfume, eau de perfume, eau de toilette and like eau de cologne. Starting with perfume (highest % of oils) to the lowest. Its mostly just % that differs, wich means longetivity.. and a few notes might be different.
    unico grande amore.

Hi scent, The EdP is slightly different from the Parfum, yet much closer than the EdT or EdC. My favorite way to wear it is in EdP. But then again, the parfum is glorious. As far as reformulations, believe it or not, L'Heure Bleue has fared much better than other Guerlain reformulations. If you did want to experience vintage, I always advocate it for a well loved fragrance, ebay is still your best bet; most reasonable one also and the vintage was called parfum de toilette not eau de parfum as it is now. So you are on the right path.
    Good luck
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I think you misunderstood me Justin I believe the vintage EDP was labelled parfum de toilette (hell I might be wrong )

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Hi scent, The EdP is slightly different from the Parfum, yet much closer than the EdT or EdC. My favorite way to wear it is in EdP. But then again, the parfum is glorious. As far as reformulations, believe it or not, L'Heure Bleue has fared much better than other Guerlain reformulations. If you did want to experience vintage, I always advocate it for a well loved fragrance, ebay is still your best bet; most reasonable one also and the vintage was called parfum de toilette not eau de parfum as it is now. So you are on the right path.
    Good luck
    Thanks Brielle! There's a vintage 2oz parfum on ebay now! For $1200!!! I better look elsewhere for now! Sigh

I think it's true that L'Heure Bleue's reformulation is fairly true to the original scent. That said, the vintage has a darker and sweeter resinous base, while the new one has a brighter bergamot top. And then again: much of this can be due to simply juice age. The PdT is very close to the Parfum, but of course a bit less dense, a bit more "open".

Basenotes Institution

I love the vintage Parfum de Toilette, it's such an unbelievably emotional and alive fragrance. I have not compared it side-by-side to the new EdP but judging from the above comments it sounds like it's quite nice.

The parfum I was slightly underwhelmed with. I believe I tested vintage parfum, and it wore too close to the skin to give me the satisfaction I craved. Nice, but I wanted more diffusion of that wonderful spice, bread, dusty floral quality of LhB.

The Eau de Cologne (vintage, of course, since this formula is discontinued) I have is missing the top notes...when I first applied it I was a little disappointed because I thought the fragrance was unwearable. But, when I apply it, the middle and base notes come charging along fairly quickly and it smells really nice. I love it, because I can really splash it on and it doesn't get too cloying. You CANNOT over apply the PdT or EdP - that can be really bad. Don't do it. If you can find the EdC of LHB get it.

The EdT is the formulation I dislike. Just smells yucky. Vintage or non-vintage.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I agree with the others in that the reformulation is far better than with other classics like Mitsouko and Jicky. The one difference that I have noted between the vintage and reformulation that hasn't been mentioned is the slight increase in the spicy sweet edge of the iris. The vintage is sweet as well, but a deeper and darker sweetness.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Basenotes Institution

I went home for lunch, and I just had to put some of the EdC on...I have it on now as I'm typing this.

I think I see what everyone means about the deep and dark sweetness. In the EdC it's very subtle, but a subtle darkness yes.

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

All you Guerlain experts: what's the difference between these two LHB bottles? Is it just different packaging?

Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

The one on top is the most recent bottle and box. The lower one is the boxes before this, maybe 1990's - early 2000's?

-- Jack Kerouac