Code of Conduct

Default Polo on a woman?:Scent gender bending

Today I raided my dad's cologne cupboard and am now the proud owner of 6 men's fragrances.

He's a RL junkie with 4 kinds of polo: Original, Blue, Sport and Double Black as well as the origainl Romance Men's which I'm wearing now and is... interesting.

He also had a 3/4 full bottle of armani code - which I heard was nice on women...

Of course, I'm trying them all.

So for discussion, I was wondering what "men's" scents do you like on a woman? And for women here, what men's scents, if any, do you like to wear? What about women's scents on men? What scents do you think could never be worn by the opposite gender, or have been worn, and worn badly? (if you like, share your horror story. )

Default Re: Polo on a woman?:Scent gender bending

I think women can smell great if they can wear a powerhouse men's fragrance with confidence.

An attractive woman wearing M7 would be nearly irresistible...
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Aredore View Post
    Today I raided my dad's cologne cupboard and am now the proud owner of 6 men's fragrances.

He's a RL junkie with 4 kinds of polo: Original, Blue, Sport and Double Black as well as the origainl Romance Men's which I'm wearing now and is... interesting.

He also had a 3/4 full bottle of armani code - which I heard was nice on women...

Of course, I'm trying them all.

So for discussion, I was wondering what "men's" scents do you like on a woman? And for women here, what men's scents, if any, do you like to wear? What about women's scents on men? What scents do you think could never be worn by the opposite gender, or have been worn, and worn badly? (if you like, share your horror story. )
    I'm sorry but a woman wearing the original Polo is just repulsive IMO

I'd say Fahrenheit 32 fits a women perfectly.. though, it's somehow masculine aswell
    Last edited by Giustino; 22nd May 2009 at 08:48 AM.
    unico grande amore.

Although mainly assumed to be a man's fragrance (simply because they have a shaving range to accompany it), Elixir by Penhaligon's smells wonderful on some women. I would also like to smell Hammam Bouquet on a woman too. Women's skin tends to bring out rose notes more than male skin does for some reason.

I'm a big fan of Rose 31 for example, but I don't get the rose accords as strongly as you get it if a woman wears it - which I find rather frustrating as I love rose!

My girlfriend is up this weekend, I am going to experiment on her and see what smells best on her...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Agreed. In fact, while I'm all for people wearing whatever the hell they like I just can't come up with any male fragrance I'd like a woman to wear. Maybe a tobacco heavy fragrance like Cuba or Vintage Tabarôme on a South-American beauty but that's about it.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Vetiver by Guerlain smells wonderful on women and I wish more of them wore it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I would also like to smell Hammam Bouquet on a woman too.
    My mother likes it. It's a good-quality rose that doesn't blast out its presence, and even more importantly doesn't fire off her allergies immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Although mainly assumed to be a man's fragrance (simply because they have a shaving range to accompany it), Elixir by Penhaligon's smells wonderful on some women. I would also like to smell Hammam Bouquet on a woman too. Women's skin tends to bring out rose notes more than male skin does for some reason.

I could see Endymion working extremely well on a woman too.
    Last edited by TromboneGuy; 22nd May 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    - E.J.

Dependent

There are many great masculines that are great on the ladies, and vice versa (this has been covered to death), but Polo (blue or green) just doesnt seem to be all that appealing. repulsive maybe a little harsh, but i certainly wouldlnt suggest it to any lady.

Sur la Plage

Personally I sample as many fragrances that I can, whether they're marketed to men, women or both. But I know some people would never even dare to try on an "opposite gender" fragrance - but that is their prerogative. You never know how something is going to smell until you try it on for yourself. Who knows how Polo will react on someone's skin? As long as the wearer of the fragrance likes it, then that is all that matters.

I would love to hear how the results of your sampling go. Have fun!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sorry, can't imagine a woman wearing Polo - it's kind of like a guy wearing Poison. I don't see Polo's pine needle and patchouli mix working well with a woman's overall aura. However, if you really like it, no one should stop you from wearing it.

Yatagan, on the other hand, would smell AWESOME on a woman. Although it's often referred to as the equivalent of a testosterone injection, it's dark, animalic and dirty essence would be incredibly sexy on a woman, particularly a woman with a hot-blooded personality and/or a bit of a wild streak! Not a fragrance for Jane Austen types! Definitely try it out.

I've been known to wear a small spritz of Grey Flannel and Yatagan. I think most vetivers work well on women. I love Sycomore on my skin, as long as it is lightly applied.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hah, I have a mini of Polo Green and wear it from time to time! I also have a mini of Polo Black, but it doesn't work that well on me.

I happily wear a lot of scents marketed for men, but I think I've posted about this so many times - won't go into it again.

Just wanted to say: Aredore, go with what you like!

Oh, I forgot, another excellent male scent that is good on women is Chanel's Egoiste (NOT the awful Platinum Egoiste). My wife used to wear it, and it was very sexy on her.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Sorry, can't imagine a woman wearing Polo - it's kind of like a guy wearing Poison.
    I am curious why is that unimaginable. There are guys on this board who have posted that they wear and enjoy Poison.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am curious why is that unimaginable. There are guys on this board who have posted that they wear and enjoy Poison.
    I guess I'm saying that I can't imagiine myself wearing Poison. To me, it's a distinctively feminine fragrance, though not one that I like. Honestly, I've never smelled it on a guy, and I have a heard time seeing it.

Polo green is just so heavily ingrained into male masculinity - I just can not see a woman pulling it off it would be the same with a man trying to wear Chanel No5.

I wouldn't mind if a woman were to wear the original Polo, in fact I would think it's fun. I hold to the belief that all women who seek to be tasteful MUST pick and wear a scent technically marketed to men on occasion. It shows creativity, insight, and playfulness. If it's Polo green a woman picks, bully for her, I'd say, because it would bring a smile to my face and I would be happy to pour her a new beer at the keg line.

Scent picking is all about fun for me, and if a woman picks that one to be fun, I'll think she's really fun indeed.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Yes, I can imagine a woman wearing Polo green - especially a young, confident woman doing a kind of mock-retro-preppy thing. Like you said - fun. I can't imagine my mom having ever worn Polo green, because that was never her style, even in fun. But I could easily imagine her grabbing my Tiffany For Men, sniffing the bottle, and spritzing it on with some kind of comment to the effect that I was a brave guy for wearing something designed for women.

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Don't freak out yet :P

I'm just putting them on my wrist for giggles. You know... see what happens. I never said I was going out in public wearing this stuff. (Perfume needs a test run, I think.)

And thanks for all the great comments! I'd figured this had been done before, but I didn't want to perform necromancy on a dead thread. Since I can't the afford the super luxe frags I crave, I wind up testing absolutely anything that comes my way. My nose will be better for it.
    Last edited by Aredore; 28th May 2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: edited after reading all responses