Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 84
  1. #31
    jdnba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,931

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    jdnba
    Current Top 5:

    Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

  2. #32

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    I have to admit, I rely a lot on foetidus and Sir Slarty for their mountains of reviews. They're both good at telling not just whether or not they like a fragrance, but why.

    scentemental I really like for his somewhat Alton-Brown-ish attention to nuts-and-bolts details.

    And for someone who seems to share many of my own preferences, I look at pluran's reviews. It's very unusual for me to find a fragrance that I disagree with pluran regarding likes vs. dislikes. Looking through his reviews has actually been great resource for my own samplings.
    - E.J.

  3. #33
    rogalal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    3,392
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    And I'd like to thank SirSlanty for getting rid of that creepy stretched-out-guy avatar. That thing haunted me in my sleep...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

  4. #34

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    I tend to avoid things like this because it perpetuates the cliqueish element that seems to characterize a select group of members on here. But that is always the way it is with special interest boards.

    I will say, though, that there are some reviewers on here for whom I know that if they really love a fragrance, then chances are I'm not going to like it. Not always but often. Chalk it up to personal preferences. I have found that helpful.

  5. #35
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    jdnba
    Who ?! The NBA what ??

    I'm joking of course, your reviews are very good and I can tell you have certain preferences so that helps when trying to get a good character read. You're reviews on the boozy scents ( Spark) and musk-like scents ( By Men) were very interesting to me when I was searching for those types of frags.

    And you are very generous with your time when asked upon advice, a big thank you.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    This is an interesting subject, not so much because one reviewer is "better" than another, but in terms of how people can perceive frags in such different ways. It's also interesting in terms of the sociology, meaning I find it interesting to read about how people think a review should be constructed. Also, some reviewers are too "easy" while others are too "hard" (IMO). Though I understand so much more about frags now, I'm more wary of trying to convey the experience in words. Here's an example: I wore Dunhill Desire for men the other day, probably the 7th or 8th wearing, and it smelled a lot like the first time I wore it, which reminded me of some sort of grape drink with teak wood in the background. This frag has smelled so different to me that it really makes me wonder what's going on with our sense of smell (or at least mine). I wouldn't be surprised if it seriously "devolved" over the millenia, and has been shaped by things we no longer (or rarely) experience. The reviews help in considering this issue, at least when there are more than a few on a particular frag.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by dekdek View Post
    Naed Nitram (sp.?) echoing the observations of the great Baron de Charlus is always a joy to read.

    Naed Nitram? A friend of Knarf Artanis? Weren't they both part of the tar kcap?

    Hold it to a mirror...

    (My fave is madridbatabidd. )
    Snarky is as snarky does.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,501

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    I really appreciate all the reviewers, but one that I pay special attention to is the_good_life because I almost always agree with him. So, when he's really excited about a fragrance I've never tested, it almost always goes immediately on my list of "must tries."

  9. #39

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Naed Nitram, The Good Life and Sir Slarty all the way!
    Currently wearing: Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

  10. #40

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    soo many of them !

    Monkey Man Matt
    Naed Nitram
    Russlan
    Ipaidforthisname
    Vibert
    Dimitri
    Scentemental
    Pluran
    JaimeB
    tvlampboy
    The good life
    Trebor
    Foetidus
    SMM
    Aromi Eroticci
    MrclMind
    Caltha
    ZZtop
    Asha
    Ubuandieme
    Castorpollux
    Odysseusm
    SirSlarty
    Pigeon Murdrer

    if any 3 of the above members agree on a scent, then it' s a go. all of them are worth in gold for me. im really sorry if i have left anyone out.
    Last edited by jenson; 28th May 2009 at 10:07 PM.

  11. #41
    Dependent
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,016
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Along with those already mentioned, I pay attention to shifts' reviews.

  12. #42
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    soo many of them !



    if any 3 of the above members agree on a scent, then it' s a go. all of them are worth in gold for me. im really sorry if i have left anyone out.
    What if 3 like it and 3 don't?

  13. #43
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Foetidus

  14. #44

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Though "note pyramids" don't get much respect, they have helped me a lot. Basically, if I have the pyramid and if there are reviews which speak to how blended it is and which notes are strongest, I can usually make the right call (if I am considering a blind buy). So for me, at this point, the "technical" information is most important (which I guess is an opinion that is opposite to that of LT's).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th May 2009 at 11:24 PM.

  15. #45

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    I like them all, but i kinda follow Trebor because he is so hard to please. So when he find a frag that he likes i know it must be GOOD!!! : @ )

  16. #46

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    foetidus, Vibert and zztop's analyses are spot-on. Asha's writing style of comparing scents as a framing device is really helpful. ubuandibeme and JaimeB's tastes are like my own. Plus I'm always impressed by those who separate the quality of the scent from their personal tastes. Just because you don't like a scent doesn't mean it's bad, and I like to see that acknowledged.

  17. #47
    foetidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Great North Woods
    Posts
    4,432

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I like them all, but i kinda follow Trebor because he is so hard to please. So when he find a frag that he likes i know it must be GOOD!!! : @ )
    Trebor is my favorite, too, and I greedily await his every review. It's not because he is hard to please - that is only secondary. It's because of his dedication to THE SEARCH. His search is epic. In his ever-diligent pursuit of THE Holy Grail, he is never derailed by insignificance or by the deceit, the misrepresentations, or the evil temptations of the dark forces of the olfactory universe. He IS Sir Galahad: so pure in his heart… so true to the quest… so demanding of designer and niche righteousness… so sincere in his deliberations… so honest in his assessments… His quest itself is THE perfect beauty. He is my hero.

  18. #48
    Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    731

    Thumbs up Re: Favourite reviewers

    SirSlarty

  19. #49

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Vibert and SirSlarty

  20. #50

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    What if 3 like it and 3 don't?
    thn it's a game i play, i'll look for the next three from list and so on...in the end will look at my scorecard and declare the winner....jeez KMF you take me too seriously. im just a noob trying to survive

  21. #51
    arwen_elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,052

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Wow so many good reviewers. Sort of intimidating. I have only written one review and it was more of an emotional outlet at the time than a proper review.

    I enjoy people who include reviews in the Scent of the Day thread. I always look forward to that.

    Besides so many distinguished reviewers already mentioned, I also want to acknowledge Jenson and Amit. I consider them as part of the "reality check" contingent.

    I also like to read Ruggles reviews because we have similar taste and he is "spunky".
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 29th May 2009 at 04:15 AM.
    Evenstar

  22. #52

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Königl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,581

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    The advantage we have over professional perfume critics: we don't need to cover the whole area, and I am only talking about reviews of fragrances worn by men. It's obvious to me that I cannot come up with a list from the top of my head. Grateful as I am for being able to consult the review section of our directory (to which I contribute next to nothing), I prefer the whole variety of reviews in their harmonies and dissonances over outstanding achievements of one or the other individual. Astoundingly few of my favorite critics are found at the top of review statistics. Some are overly enthusiastic about ordinary perfumes and others seem to be compelled to write a lot. Some simply write for a majority. In these cases I often miss the point or may have wasted time.

    But I could say that the majority of my favorite reviewers have been mentioned by at least one poster before me. One or two of those amateurs generally write good reviews technically, but their verdicts and mine would seldom be the the same. But still I always look at their verdict and how they arrived at it. Then there are guys I seem to share preferences with in one area or the other. I have one or two I trust regarding oudhs and others for classical colognes, and yet others for favorite brands. There is none who really covers all of these together. Provided they are solid, and together with Ruggles I appreciate contrary reviews for a good balance (objective reviews will never be possible).

    At long last:

    1. There is one I would want to urge taking his reviews to an editor. It would be a small book only, but contain gems from all periods. I consider his reviews poetic and the good thing is: his surprising verdicts coincide with mine often, and where they don't I can see why that is. He seems to have been here from the start. Others tried to copy him but only proved how difficult it is to imitate geniality.

    2. To those individualists who have written fewer reviews than others and not been mentioned in this thread: you may have at least one secret but ardent admirer.

    .
    Last edited by narcus; 29th May 2009 at 07:13 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  23. #53

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Königl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,581

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Please ignore !
    I hate when this happens:
    re-posting the same draft unintendedly .

    Off to scanning Trebor's reviews now...


    .
    Last edited by narcus; 29th May 2009 at 07:06 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  24. #54

  25. #55

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    So far I've only written "reviews" in dedicated threads such as "L'Anarchiste: Initial Impressions." There are few scents, this long into the journey, that I'd feel I could review truly properly, and hence I lay out my initial impressions and sometimes updates, and leave it at that.

    That being said, some of my faves are SirSlarty for his prolific and to the point reviewing style, Foetidus, Vibert, tvlampboy, and many many others that I am forgetting right now.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  26. #56

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Scentemental
    SirSlarty
    decillisjl
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

    PM ME

  27. #57

    Thumbs up Re: Favourite reviewers

    tvlampboy
    Jamie B
    Sir Slarly

  28. #58

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Naed_Nitram and his tales of Baron de Charlus!

    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/3408
    This link contains all his reviews.
    Last edited by heythatslife; 31st May 2009 at 10:42 AM.

  29. #59

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    My non-exhaustive list:

    foetidus - usually dispassionate analysis of scents, even those he doesn't love. my main reference

    mikeperez23 - down to Earth, man-on-the-street reviews

    Sirslarty - Hmmm, sometimes cant figure his tastes out, but i always refer to his reviews

    JaimeB - he is an ardent lover of fragrance, analyses well and matches his reviews with purchases

    SMM - procsaic analysis of scents backed with an obvious world of wisdom

    Vibert - knows his ingredients and how they should be blended for a particular scent concept

    the_good_life - his joie de vie comes through so clearly as he interprets scents from that view

    odysseusm - green scent connosieur par exellence

    RedneckPerfumisto - interestingly worded reviews.

    AromiErotici - my BN power-house soulmate. what he likes, i like.

    Andrew the Cologne Guy - Straight up, unplugged, as-it-is reviews

    Asha - well thought side-by-side reviews. you dont want not to be on the other side of an arguments with her in post though.

    Jenson - reviews from similar climate to mine.

    Dimitri - dedicated to fragrances. i "listen" to him.
    I like your list and narrative. may I add a couple of my favorites.

    ZZtop - Very knowledgeable, professional prose and writing skills - good nose, and tells it how he sees it.

    Trebor - a great nose - I personally agree with 90% of his choices - when we disagree we still have fun

    Cairomerta - Always enjoy his input - another great nose as far as I'm concerned

  30. #60

    Default Re: Favourite reviewers

    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Trebor is my favorite, too, and I greedily await his every review. It's not because he is hard to please - that is only secondary. It's because of his dedication to THE SEARCH. His search is epic. In his ever-diligent pursuit of THE Holy Grail, he is never derailed by insignificance or by the deceit, the misrepresentations, or the evil temptations of the dark forces of the olfactory universe. He IS Sir Galahad: so pure in his heart… so true to the quest… so demanding of designer and niche righteousness… so sincere in his deliberations… so honest in his assessments… His quest itself is THE perfect beauty. He is my hero.
    I admire Trebor for his quest but often times I do not parallel his fragrant interests. I would have to say Foetidus is my fav because his descriptive writings are always spot on for me but also because I find that our tastes are perhaps most similar if truth be told.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 31st May 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: revision
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Similar Threads

  1. Your favourite and least favourite fragrance caps
    By Trebor in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 27th August 2012, 10:36 AM
  2. Sonoma Scent Studio - new launches and an old favourite
    By Grant in forum Basenotes Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th March 2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Would you ever buy a litre of your favourite scent?
    By Mr. G in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 13th December 2008, 12:10 AM
  4. Top 10 least favourite frags
    By Trebor in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 27th January 2007, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000