Code of Conduct

Default Changes in Scent Preferences During Pregnancy

I know there have been other threads about this topic, but I realize they are mostly about how to choose a scent during pregnancy. I don't really want to change my scents during pregnancy. Mostly I'm interested to know others' experiences with scent changes and/or preferences during pregnancy. And most importantly, if they did change during pregnancy, did they change back afterwards? And at what week/trimester of pregnancy and what week post-partum?

As for myself, I've found that the stuff I wore before pregnancy and before I knew I was pregnant, I cannot currently tolerate. And most recently, something my husband picked up at the store as a replacement for his Brut aftershave pretty much made me want to vomit. Gillette-something or another. (It went into the trash before I could look at the name.)

Anyway, I think it would sound silly to others who don't have full bottles of treasured scents, but I worry that I'll never be able to enjoy these again! Please tell me there's hope at the end of the tunnel! (no pun intended)
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Changes in Scent Preferences During Pregnancy

I didn't experience any fragrance changes during pregnancy but went right off all scents after my daughter was born, afraid it would interfere with her already-tenuous nursing. It was a looong time before I started wearing them again.

I had alot of "morning sickness" with my first pregnancy. All smells seemed to be heightened to the point they were difficult to tolerate. The kindest scents were nature fresh. Like freshly cut grass, sliced cucumber, or a just peeled orange. In my second trimester the smell or taste of meat made me ill. In fact, I couldn't walk into a grocery store where they made rotisserie chickens - I'd turn right around, head for the door, and be physically ill. I lived on peanutbutter and jam sandwiches for about 2 1/2 months! As for fragrances, I didn't want to smell any perfume on my hubby, and on myself I only wore 'fresh citrus' type lotions - nothing more potent than that! Sometimes even the bodys' natural odor was repulsive - my own included!

After pregnancy, my sense of smell did return to normal, but the memory of feeling sick being attached to certain smells took awhile to shake. The only thing I can compare it to is this:
    When you vomit, the food you threw-up sort of sticks in your mind and makes you not to anxious to eat it again. I know this sounds sort of disgusting, but that's the human body! Hope this info. helps you Aiona! Best wishes!

Basenotes Plus

This is highly individualized & is specific only to you for now. That's the only thing that should matter. People will come out of the woodwork to regale you with their stories. They will present them to you as fact. Just remember that this was true for them.

It's probably best not to make any drastic changes, such as selling off your collection of cherished fragrances. Put them safely away for now. Revist them later, even if it's much later.

Find out what your body wants by testing in tiny quatities. Sometimes you can get a hint by what you want to eat or drink. My sister wanted strawberries, I wanted lemonade. She used fruity scents, I used light citrus. I also made a belly balm of a wonderful high altitude lavender oil. I have nary a stretch mark.

Good luck with you pregnancy, enjoy yourself.
    Last edited by RHM; 22nd May 2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: that's "hint", not "jint"...sorry.

I went off most of my scents during pregnancy, though I did find a new one that really worked, and one that I already had worked brilliantly too. My daughter is now 15months, breast-feeding is down to once a day and my perfume mojo is definitely back. I am however nursing a citrus craving, which I never really had before.

Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    This is highly individualized & is specific only to you for now.
    True. I do hope though that my story is one of a return to good smells. I do appreciate everyone's advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Sometimes you can get a jint by what you want to eat or drink.
    I've been eating some weird stuff lately. None of which I think would be wearable, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps I should start a new thread.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    True.
    I've been eating some weird stuff lately. None of which I think would be wearable, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps I should start a new thread.
    That had me laughing out loud! Eau de Hot Tamale.....

First of all, congratulation on your pregnancy!
    It's true, it depends. All women are different, but the changes in hormone levels in pregnant women are truly profound. From mood swings to extra sleep, from morning sickness to food cravings and sensitivity to smells (it's estrogen that can make every little scent that wafts your way feel like an all-out assault on your nostrils.) scientists have hypothesized that for some women, it's this heightened sense of smell that leads to morning sickness. (One study even found that women born without a sense of smell — a condition called anosmia — don't suffer from morning sickness when pregnant. Almost makes you want to cut off your nose to help your stomach
    For me all this sensitivity occured in the first trimester, I was maybe 8 weeks pregnant when I couldn't stand the coffee smell (I love coffee, I can't live without my coffee dose in the morning) so I stopped drinking it.
    Then, I couldn't stand my fragrances, my husband fragrances, the popcorn smell. I couldn't cook without being sick. I was even afraid to go and eat at the restaurant. I was living on cheese and crackers.
    After birth I was looking forward to wear my fragrances again but unfortunately I couldn't. The doctors say that the hormonal changes can be experienced even 9 month after delivery.
    I found this suggestions for you. You can't cut off your nose, but you can try to avoid scents that drive you crazy (especially those that ramp up your morning sickness symptoms). Some strategies to try:

- Cook (and eat) only those foods you can stand to smell. (Brussels sprout? Probably not.)
    Leave your windows open whenever possible to banish cooking or musty odors.
    Wash your clothes more often then usual, since fibers tend to hold onto odors.
    Switch to unscented or lightly scented toiletries, cleaning products, etc.

- Ask the people around you to be extra considerate and go easy on the fragrance.

- Try to surround yourself with those scents (if there are any) that actually make you feel better. Mint, lemon, ginger, and other herbs are more likely to soothe your nausea than they are to make it worse.

If you can't wear your fragrances during pregnancy and you want to still wear some perfume, you can consider these suggestions:
    http://theposhpeasant.com/item_252/M...-Magic-Set.htm

I hope your sense of smell will be back at normal and you can still use your fragrances after delivery. I couldn't, I had to give away all my perfumes and "build" a new wardrobe. But I re-started to drink coffee

Good luck!
    Last edited by anais; 23rd May 2009 at 02:47 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post
    I was maybe 8 weeks pregnant when I couldn't stand the coffee smell (I love coffee, I can't live without my coffee dose in the morning) so I stopped drinking it.
    ME TOO! I couldn't believe it, when I made my morning pot, and just about puked at the smell. Could not believe it.

'Haven't drank a cup of coffee since about 5 weeks GA.

Profumo (of La Via del Profumo) said something similar, about sticking to mint and citrus oils. So far the lemon-scented dishwashing detergent hasn't made me ill.

No clue. Just chiming in with a Congratulations. You're making a person. That's awesome.

It is good to hear more news from you, Aiona--although a bummer about scent hyperosmia

I am prone to nausea as a matter of course, and sometimes cooking meat, strong fragrances and other things make me feel more ill. On the days I feel especially sensitive, I wear colognes which are light and citrusy. Miller Harris Tangerine Vert is one of the most common ones I reach for. Mint and chamomile teas are also very pleasant when I feel this way. Amazingly, I do not get a "sick" association with colognes when I wear them at these times. Perhaps they soothe in their own way...
    Last edited by Asha; 23rd May 2009 at 02:29 PM.