Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Snob?! What kind of snob?

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I am more concerned about whether I enjoy a frag in all its phases than how long it lasts.
    BINGO! Unless the fragrance is a real flash in the pan that is...

I think some forum members are just cursed with skin that doesn't allow scents to bloom or they get olfactory fatique.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I think some forum members are just cursed with skin that doesn't allow scents to bloom or they get olfactory fatique.
    And what a curse it must be! I think the antidote for the curse is probably Route du Vetiver.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    And what a curse it must be! I think the antidote for the curse is probably Route du Vetiver.
    That would certainly be a good way to rid that curse A bit of a sledgehammer approach but hey, you'd get results! "The operation was a success but unfortunately the patient is dead"
    Last edited by jathanas; 23rd May 2009 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Some EDT's are actually really strong. So, just don't ignore them all.
    Yes. And also, if i'm not mistaken, their are many EDT's that are probably very close to an EDP when it comes to the percentage of oils used.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I could argue that having mainstream scents does not take away any snob points. Even the biggest snobs can appreciate tabu in a snobbily manner.

Nah, but you are cool Nukapai.
    Hah, I guess you could say that there are levels of fragrance snobbery:

1. Anything at entry level goes (zero snob points)
    2. Starting to reject some entry-level; may get into Guerlain, Chanel, YSL (one snob point)
    3. Discovering smaller and independent houses and starting to reject anything that's "common" ("Don't want to smell like everyone else", "I never wear drugstore perfume", "Niche is better quality") (two snob points)
    4. Beginning to get obsessed about hard-to-find scents and/or anything you've not smelled before. Getting lots of samples. Forming own "rules" about what constitutes a good quality fragrance (three snob points).
    5. Widening the net to include drugstore perfumes, obscure lines, own brand knock-offs and beginning to think of everyday toiletries and other products on "perfume" terms (either zero or four snob points; you decide!).

Perfumers need to think on level #5, mostly. If you work in a conventional setting, you'll end up designing scents for toilet rim blocks, sun products, soaps, shampoos, detergents... and if you're lucky, fine fragrance.

The above is obviously my crudely presented opinion - and there's an extra variable that one can't measure = personal taste and preference (which relates to culture, memories and associations and all sorts of stuff).

Oops, I geeked out.

(See? I'm definitely not cool! )

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    so reliable, so subtle, and yet so dense.
    ... aaah, memories of an ex boyfriend...

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Awww sweetheart, I was really trying to be good for you back then.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Hehehe...

I am mostly interested in the best example, not arbitrarily partial to EDP's or extraits.

However, I do love the precious little splash bottles of parfum and extrait formulations. I feel more drawn to them for reasons of comfort rather than snobbery.

Some EDPs have taught me a lesson: they may last better but don't project like their EDT counterparts. These days I test first. There's another form of snobbery: people swearing high and low by 'vintage' formulations. These are almost without fail claimed to be superior to the more recent issues. I sometimes have my doubts, to be honest.