Code of Conduct

Default Snob?! What kind of snob?

There's been various threads about niche snobs but I consider myself to be more of a perfume concentration snob. In other words, if it's not an EDP I'm not interested. I know there's no hard and fast rule concerning concentrations but maybe I'm not the only one here. Personally, I blame it on my skin chemistry...

I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding this subject.

Default Re: Snob?! What kind of snob?

if I read the words "extreme" or "concentree" or " double" I am there.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

i love both Edt's and Edp's ...and with Habit Rouge even Edc. but, i see wht you mean Trebor..serge lutens which comes in EDP form has a certain feel to it (smoother, denser), so are some of the PG's et al...but then there are scents like New York, Havana Reserva, Ungaro I & II, Leonard Ph..which are edts and are still delivers a fuller feel. so, for me, it doesnt matter much as long as the scent delivers...

one eg. i'd like to site is: i like Habit Rouge Edc a lot better than it's Edt form...never tested the Edp so wouldnt know...wht im comign to is, some scents smell better in a particular concentration and thts wht matters the most....
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd May 2009 at 06:59 PM.

I think it might depend on the skin type. There are a number of fragrances where I will actually pick the EDT rather than the EDP, simply because it works better with me.

I certainly would not call anyone a snob for acquiring solely EDPs, just pernickety

If given the choice, I'll take an EDP over an EDT. There are a few scents that are great in EDT, Habanita (for me) comes to mind, but usually I prefer EDP.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Yep! If that is "marketing", it works on me
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

seriously guys, dont we all want the extra kick?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

no.

I would like to believe that I really do not care about the concentration of a certain fragrance, but, at least statistically, I tend to prefer EdTs over EdPs. For fragrances where two versions are available, I generally find the edt better blended and a bit more sophisticated. This is specially true for houses like Guerlain and Chanel. If I want longevity, then I carry an atomizer. If I want silage I just spray more. Granted, not everybody will like this approach, but the way I see it, once I have the EdP there is not much I can do to make it smell just as good as the EdT.

As for snobs, I present you David Hume:

"A good palate is not tried by strong flavors; but by a mixture of small ingredients, where we are still sensible of each part, notwithstanding its minuteness and its confusion with the rest..."*

*OK I promise, this really is the last time I post that quote.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'll take my Hugo Boss Energise Eau de Toilette and be a very happy man. No snobbery here...

If there is a stronger concentration option I will always chose that over a EDT ...

Basenotes has done this to me .......

Your position makes little sense to me. The male designer scent EDTs I own ( with their woody bases) very often last a lot longer and more strongly than the female scent EDPs that my wife owns (with their floral bases).

Male scent EDPs are relatively few in number. Opium EDP is useful if you need a scent that lasts from when you put it on and want it still there when you wake up in the middle of the night. But even then, if you applied Joop Homme EDT or Sables, they would still be there when you woke up in the middle of the next night.

The only times an EDP makes sense to me are in the cases of
    a. the more pure, non woody citrus scents, which have pretty poor lasting power in the EDT version, where they EDT is only good for two or three hours, and
    b. the generally shorter lasting niche EDT scents, or
    c. when the EDP smells significantly different from the EDT version.

Anyhow, that's how I see it. But if you illustrated your position with examples of where you've picked EDPs over EDTs, I might be better able to understand where you are coming from.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Sure Basteri , but as long as the words "Polo" is not used in combination with "Black", then I am there

I certainly do! I started wearing scents during the 80's when perfume was perfume: strongly fragrant, sometimes obnoxious, in your face... but also subtle and sophisticated.

I really dislike anemic reformulations. I get bored by most generically sweet, fresh, aquatic fragrances.
    Last edited by tott; 22nd May 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Your position makes little sense to me. The male designer scent EDTs I own ( with their woody bases) very often last a lot longer and more strongly than the female scent EDPs that my wife owns (with their floral bases).

Male scent EDPs are relatively few in number. Opium EDP is useful if you need a scent that lasts from when you put it on and want it still there when you wake up in the middle of the night. But even then, if you applied Joop Homme EDT or Sables, they would still be there when you woke up in the middle of the next night.

The only times an EDP makes sense to me are in the cases of
    a. the more pure, non woody citrus scents, which have pretty poor lasting power in the EDT version, where they EDT is only good for two or three hours, and
    b. the generally shorter lasting niche EDT scents, or
    c. when the EDP smells significantly different from the EDT version.

Anyhow, that's how I see it. But if you illustrated your position with examples of where you've picked EDPs over EDTs, I might be better able to understand where you are coming from.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I think it depends on your skin type. I have very dry skin and would prefer smoother more potent concentrations of my favourite fragrances. If you make an anology to those fruit drinks that you have to mix with water, some prefer them more dilluted while others prefer a stronger concentration of juice. I for one prefer to spray less fragrance and have better longetivity which again in general is evident with EDP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I think it depends on your skin type. I have very dry skin and would prefer smoother more potent concentrations of my favourite fragrances. If you make an anology to those fruit drinks that you have to mix with water, some prefer them more dilluted while others prefer a stronger concentration of juice. I for one prefer to spray less fragrance and have better longetivity which again in general is evident with EDP's.
    Some examples would be handy. The few men's EDPs I've tried were not the same scents, but more concentrated - the way typically an EDT is more concentrated than an EDC - but rather were somewhat different scents. They just didn't smell the same to me.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd May 2009 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Some examples would be handy. The few men's EDPs I've tried were not the same scents, but more concentrated - the way typically an EDT is more concentrated than an EDC - but rather were somewhat different scents. They just didn't smell the same to me.
    Renato
    Perhaps in upping the concentration in EDP's some ingredients are more pronounced then before leaving you with a different smell but I'm sure the differences would be minimal to say the least.

Opium is the obvious example of an improved EDP compared to EDT but there are not enough examples in the mens line for a good comparison, well i don't own any fragrances in EDT & EDP form simultaneously but I have read that some companies formulate EDT's in concentrations similar to EDP's and vice versa so its difficult to tell realistically unless we had more information from the fragrance houses.

Still though if done carefully I would pick an EDP anyday over a EDT.

there is no doubt about the "fact" that Edp's smell a lot more oppulent and richer as compared to edt's. some can live with it, some cant, as in Trebors case. there is nothing strange about it. just the matter of taste. some might be used to parfum extraits too.

No, a balanced wardrobe is much better, IMHO.

I couldn't make a categoric statement like that; in many cases, the EDT/EDP can be slightly different formulas, and the only sensible thing would seem to be to try both and get the one that smells better on you.

About being a perfume snob? I don't think I am, but others might. I have zero cool snob points because I will happily wear something like Love in Paris by Nina Ricci when the mood takes me.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Sure Basteri , but as long as the words "Polo" is not used in combination with "Black", then I am there
    couldnt agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I couldn't make a categoric statement like that; in many cases, the EDT/EDP can be slightly different formulas, and the only sensible thing would seem to be to try both and get the one that smells better on you.

About being a perfume snob? I don't think I am, but others might. I have zero cool snob points because I will happily wear something like Love in Paris by Nina Ricci when the mood takes me.
    makes alot of sense to me, i may find a scent very generic/overly common, but as long as its pleasing to me, and i find it suitable for an occasion, i wouldnt at all mind wearing it. I dont think i qualify as a snob in any aspect, unless drugstore snob matters at all.
    btw Pia, you got a great collection on the pics thread

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post

makes alot of sense to me, i may find a scent very generic/overly common, but as long as its pleasing to me, and i find it suitable for an occasion, i wouldnt at all mind wearing it. I dont think i qualify as a snob in any aspect, unless drugstore snob matters at all.
    btw Pia, you got a great collection on the pics thread
    Yup, that's pretty much my attitude, though I draw the line with certain (not all) celebrity scents. I will not feel comfortable in a scent that would have unpleasant associations. Don't think that's particularly snobbish.

And thank you; I'm 98% happy with the collection. Could do with a couple of tweaks and I'm there.

Some EDT's are actually really strong. So, just don't ignore them all.

I could argue that having mainstream scents does not take away any snob points. Even the biggest snobs can appreciate tabu in a snobbily manner.

Nah, but you are cool Nukapai.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    there is no doubt about the "fact" that Edp's smell a lot more oppulent and richer as compared to edt's.
    Lemme rephrese that: there is no doubt about the "fact" that Edp's smell a lot more thick and greasy as compared to edt's.

I'm not snobbish but I'm dissapointed in most recent designer releases. I've spent so much time sniffing whatever is on display on department store shelves only to be underwhelmed.

I love many older designer releases so I might be fast becoming an "old designer and niche" snob.
    Last edited by jathanas; 23rd May 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Not me!

I own Caron and Hermes, and I will also wear drugstore cologne...

I can't say exactly where I fall on the edp/edt debate. I actually find edts usually have better sillage or projection, and thus give better kick. And I'm a lover of the extra kick. I find edps sometimes are too close to the skin and seem boring as a result, even though they're clearly richer, denser, and longer lasting.

There was a time I thought about only buying edps though, because it is so wonderful to have a scent on you that's so reliable, so subtle, and yet so dense. Something wonderful to put on because you can put it on and forget about it, never needing to wonder if its still there.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well, I guess I'm the more traditional snob in here, I'm a Niche snob -- despite all my FB issues. I have trouble accepting designer fragrances into my wardrobe, no matter how good they are. I don't know how that happened, but it has.

As long as I like any particular niche offering, it doesn't matter to me whether it's an EDP or EDT.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I don't think the subject of this thread is snobbery exactly, I think the subject is strong preference for qualities of edps, and how that's a casual application of the concept of being a "snob" for those qualities.

I don't think we need to take the thread on a tangent of who's a snob and if designer or niche fragrances in the wardrobe make a member a snob.

I get good longevity out of lots of EDTs and even some EDCs. Honestly, few scents disappoint me in terms of longevity.

I get more frustration out of anything that 24 hours later needs to get scrubbed off and decides it doesn't want to leave (if you know what I mean).

I am more concerned about whether I enjoy a frag in all its phases than how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I am more concerned about whether I enjoy a frag in all its phases than how long it lasts.
    BINGO! Unless the fragrance is a real flash in the pan that is...

I think some forum members are just cursed with skin that doesn't allow scents to bloom or they get olfactory fatique.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I think some forum members are just cursed with skin that doesn't allow scents to bloom or they get olfactory fatique.
    And what a curse it must be! I think the antidote for the curse is probably Route du Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    And what a curse it must be! I think the antidote for the curse is probably Route du Vetiver.
    That would certainly be a good way to rid that curse A bit of a sledgehammer approach but hey, you'd get results! "The operation was a success but unfortunately the patient is dead"
    Last edited by jathanas; 23rd May 2009 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Some EDT's are actually really strong. So, just don't ignore them all.
    Yes. And also, if i'm not mistaken, their are many EDT's that are probably very close to an EDP when it comes to the percentage of oils used.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I could argue that having mainstream scents does not take away any snob points. Even the biggest snobs can appreciate tabu in a snobbily manner.

Nah, but you are cool Nukapai.
    Hah, I guess you could say that there are levels of fragrance snobbery:

1. Anything at entry level goes (zero snob points)
    2. Starting to reject some entry-level; may get into Guerlain, Chanel, YSL (one snob point)
    3. Discovering smaller and independent houses and starting to reject anything that's "common" ("Don't want to smell like everyone else", "I never wear drugstore perfume", "Niche is better quality") (two snob points)
    4. Beginning to get obsessed about hard-to-find scents and/or anything you've not smelled before. Getting lots of samples. Forming own "rules" about what constitutes a good quality fragrance (three snob points).
    5. Widening the net to include drugstore perfumes, obscure lines, own brand knock-offs and beginning to think of everyday toiletries and other products on "perfume" terms (either zero or four snob points; you decide!).

Perfumers need to think on level #5, mostly. If you work in a conventional setting, you'll end up designing scents for toilet rim blocks, sun products, soaps, shampoos, detergents... and if you're lucky, fine fragrance.

The above is obviously my crudely presented opinion - and there's an extra variable that one can't measure = personal taste and preference (which relates to culture, memories and associations and all sorts of stuff).

Oops, I geeked out.

(See? I'm definitely not cool! )

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    so reliable, so subtle, and yet so dense.
    ... aaah, memories of an ex boyfriend...

Awww sweetheart, I was really trying to be good for you back then.

I am mostly interested in the best example, not arbitrarily partial to EDP's or extraits.

However, I do love the precious little splash bottles of parfum and extrait formulations. I feel more drawn to them for reasons of comfort rather than snobbery.

Some EDPs have taught me a lesson: they may last better but don't project like their EDT counterparts. These days I test first. There's another form of snobbery: people swearing high and low by 'vintage' formulations. These are almost without fail claimed to be superior to the more recent issues. I sometimes have my doubts, to be honest.