Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne

Ok, I know this topic has been touched upon numerous times, but I'm curious about the most up to date opinions. Tonight is my first skin test of Mugler Cologne. I have smelled it numerous times on paper, but that does not do this one justice. On my skin, I get the incredible similarities between it and OV, and am wondering which you guys prefer. One thing I did notice, which is I believe a common detractor for MC is that within about an hour and a half it has already dried down to a light musky skin scent, and is not projecting much at all. Does anyone have both of these in there wardrobe?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne

To me, Mugler Cologne is the equivalent of Mac 'n Cheese, to stay in US terminologies.

In this dish, it's just the processed cheese and the pasta. Nothing else. Don't add broccoli, peppers, chicken, ketchup etc. It's a plain and simple dish as it should be.

Now, Original Vetiver adds a lot of spice, ambergris, musk in the drydown, making it a much richer scent than Mugler Cologne. But I love the simplicity of Mugler Cologne.

The longevity is quite poor though.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    To me, Mugler Cologne is the equivalent of Mac 'n Cheese, to stay in US terminologies.

In this dish, it's just the processed cheese and the pasta. Nothing else. Don't add broccoli, peppers, chicken, ketchup etc. It's a plain and simple dish as it should be.

Now, Original Vetiver adds a lot of spice, ambergris, musk in the drydown, making it a much richer scent than Mugler Cologne. But I love the simplicity of Mugler Cologne.

The longevity is quite poor though.
    That's actually a really good analogy. I too like the fact that it is incredibly simple, something I can imagine just dousing myself with, nothing I have to think too much about. But I LOVE OV and I just don't really know if they can both coexist in the same drobe.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

I get the scented toilet paper vibe during the Mugler drydown that I don't get with OV.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both and while I prefer OV, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash vs. the Mugler. I would like OV more if it's sillage & projection were a bit better....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I've had both and while I prefer OV, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash vs. the Mugler. I would like OV more if it's sillage & projection were a bit better....
    Well that's the thing. Personally I think OV has about average s/p and it works for me, and I am not going to pay retail for it, more in the 110-130 range so, the price difference isn't that bad.

I've tried both and bought a bottle of Original Vetiver.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer OV.

But I give Mugler credit for coming to the market first.

But... I prefer Creed's first Vetiver, the 1948 Vetiver to both of them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that Mugler Cologne was intended to be a sillage bomb. I love the skin-scent type clean musc dry-down. It's perfect for when I need a pick-up. OV has a different base and is less unisex.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I like Mugler Cologne better - and the fact that it costs considerably less then OV makes it even more attractive.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Mugler Cologne is much brighter and lighter and much more of a fun scent. Original Vetiver is deeper and grassier, a bit more of a masculine smell. I prefer Original Vetiver for smell, but Mugler for price. I already own Cologne, but if I owned Original Vetiver-Cologne would get worn much less.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

They aren't similar at all to me. OV is masculine and Mugler's Cologne is somewhat feminine to my nose.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Mugler Cologne is much better as far as I'm concerned. It's just more vibrant and just makes me feel good when I wear it. And what more can you really ask for in a frag?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I have smelled it numerous times on paper, but that does not do this one justice.
    Testing any fragrance on paper does not do it justice. I always find it unfair when people review fragrances based on paper test.

OV is just another quality vetiver. Mugler Cologne is unique, like a futuristic eau de cologne. Sure it's a very subtle skin scent, but amazing fragrance doesn't necessarily mean BIG fragrance.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had used 2 bottles of Mugler Cologne before buying Original Vetiver. Its only here on BaseNotes i learned they are supposed to smell alike. They do not, IMO. The common vetiver ingredient does not make one a clone of the other.

MC smells much sweeter, with a prominent vetiver note, while OV is all about the vetiver, with citrus hints on top.

Disclosure: i live in a 32 degrees+ climate, where frags are quite amplified, so maybe its easier for me to distinguish so-called similar smelling frags better.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Oc > mc.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 23rd May 2009 at 04:16 PM.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Oc > mc.
    end of story
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I had used 2 bottles of Mugler Cologne before buying Original Vetiver. Its only here on BaseNotes i learned they are supposed to smell alike. They do not, IMO. The common vetiver ingredient does not make one a clone of the other.

MC smells much sweeter, with a prominent vetiver note, while OV is all about the vetiver, with citrus hints on top.

Disclosure: i live in a 32 degrees+ climate, where frags are quite amplified, so maybe its easier for me to distinguish so-called similar smelling frags better.
    Nobody says they are clones. When two perfumes 'smell alike' they have major overlapping characteristics.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I wouldn’t consider myself a fragrance connoisseur but as of today, I own both these frags. I went out to work with OV on. At lunch, I picked up a bottle of Mugler Cologne and applied it. (I could hardly smell the OV anymore)

Having pondered it for much of the day, I can safely say I’d buy Mugler again over OV. The price difference is vast and the smell very similar. Granted OV smells more natural and has more depth, but the cologne gave me that fresh smell for longer.

I agree that in a close, intimate situation, she may notice the subtle nuances, but in that situation, I wouldn’t be reaching for either of these frags. These are fresh, inoffensive type scents for me, not seduction/exciting scents.

I prefer Mugler Cologne. It has a vetiver note but itsn't too prominent since I tend to not like fragrances with a strong vetiver note, more along the lines of incorporated. Mugler is birght, soapy, fresh and very fun. OV just didn't do much for me, it's a good fragrance but, I prefer Mugler overall and the price is a lot better as well.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I agree. That bright freshness was what I was looking for in each. Mugler Cologne seems to deliver that better. Throw in a cheap price tag and i'm sold.

OV.

Post Thanks / Like

OV by a mile. Mugler has an awful, rank dry down on My skin. Not bad for the first few minutes. OV is outstanding, all the way around and what I love in Vetiver, deep grassy notes.

Mtg, just a warning. I know you've started to smell scents, in general, more strongly than you used to, and have talked about changing your application method and amount with many of them in the not so distant past. Well, before you make any judgement on OV vs MC (I've got no opinion on the matter as I've not tried OV yet, but I'm willing to bet I'd like it more as I don't care for MC) do give MC a few more wearings. I too thought it disappeared quickly at first, but after a handful of wearings I now find the white musk(s) in the base to be very strong and very loud.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, proof that the nose is constantly maturing. I forgot all about this thread, and can safely say, I no longer find MC too light. I ended up purchasing OV, and still hold MC in high regards, and would willingly add it to my wardrobe if I found it at a decent price when money wasn't tight.

Don't worry SOS, this was from about a year ago, and things have certainly changed since then.

Edit: I also no longer find them very similar.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th May 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wearing them in a side-by-side comparison a while back, I found the topnotes very similar for the first few minutes, but I preferred Creed's vetiver + generic-Creed-base over Mugler's weird salty soap. I don't like that iodine note Mugler used.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
    OV by a mile. Mugler has an awful, rank dry down on My skin. Not bad for the first few minutes. OV is outstanding, all the way around and what I love in Vetiver, deep grassy notes.
    I pretty much echo this. MC is a blaring synthetic powerhouse musk on me, and I couldn't stand it. OV is awesome.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I like the light white musk in the Mugler dry down, but I can't take it for very long. It has a sickly softness that I just cant take. It also has some old lady florals that just don't suit me. Smells great, but not for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Stereotomy summed it up nicely, though my take on it is a bit different:

MC is only as complex as that fragrance needed to be, whereas OV is 'gilding the lily'.

I own both, but tend to reach for MC more often...it's more concise, plus on my skin, OV sometimes goes all 'bug spray' in the drydown.

MC lasts for 8+ hours on me, so no complaints.

Original Vetiver by far.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

MC is nice - OV is better.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 29th December 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a side-by-side comparison yesterday. Sprayed OV on one forearm and MC on the other. The top notes were similar, but OV started to smell much better after a while. OV smelt more natural & sour. MC was more synthetic & sweet.

Without telling my wife which is which, I asked her to tell me which one she liked more. I then asked her again multiple times every so often, to see if her opinion would change with the different notes. On all of the occasions, she said she liked OV more. Said it smelt classier than MC.

Furthermore, OV lasted far longer on my skin than MC. Dry down smelt better as well. IMO, although slightly similar, OV is noticeably better than MC.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 29th December 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, I'd take both since I like both

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OV ftw.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

OV is my favorite Creed, MC is good but not great IMO. OV has better longevity and sillage on me