Code of Conduct

Default Product perfume and body spray faves?

When I went to town to run errands yesterday lunchtime, I was stopped on the street: "Do you have a moment for a survey?"

I was in a good mood and said yes. I was ushered to a damp little upstairs office to blind-sniff shower gels! When they asked me what I do for a living, I thought they'd have chucked me out at that point, but no.

There was only one out of the whole lot that I rated "somewhat like". All the others were either neutral or "dislike". I have no idea which brands were involved (they didn't tell us afterwards).

Blind-sniffing like that without any preconceptions, I was really struck by how unpleasant most of these scents actually were.

Funnily enough, only the day before at the BSP conference, we'd been voting for various categories of successful product perfume (from rim blocks and detergents to Jo Malone).

All this has made me want to catalogue scents that are actually not too bad, or even good!

Please share your "yummy smelling toiletries, body sprays etc"!

(I'm going to avoid mentioning products from the brands I am associated with. It goes without saying that I find scents in there that I love. Not categorically, mind, but mostly).

My faves (with the above exclusion taken into consideration):

- Aveda products. I've always liked their signature scent; in shampoos, hair care, everything.

- Weleda Sea Buckthorn body wash. It's a lovely, zesty scent, keeping the best characteristics of sea buckthorn's citrus-like aroma, but editing out the "curdled milk"-side of it. (Real sea buckthorn juice and oil smell pretty sour and not in a good way).

- Soap & Glory shower gel. It faintly reminds me of NR for Her Edt somehow. Good, basic stuff.

- Impulse body sprays (nose is Ann Gottlieb, apparently). I know I've mentioned these a few time recently, but it's only after a recent trip to a Creed counter made me realise what their feminine scents seem to be closest to. I haven't owned these for a long time now, but I've almost sold the idea to myself & may have to go and re-sniff soon.

- Melvita perfumes (particularly orange; the spicy one is nice too).

What about you?

Default Re: Product perfume and body spray faves?

Nuke, I've been meaning to tell you that I think you have the most interesting job! It must be fantastic to work in the industry.

So far as body products are concerned, I have a deep and abiding love to Gilchrist & Soames body butter. It is a must have, and I buy 6 at a time to keep stocked up. It has a fresh lemony flavor that is very top drawer.

I also have CSP Vanilla Abricot, which I layer with Coco & Pacifica's Tibetan Mountain Temple. I do keep around a Coty's Wild musk body spray, but that's mostly for high school memories.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Good thread, Nuky

I like Waitrose own brand Baby Bottom Butter. It's pure shea butter, chamomile and vanilla. It's a couple of quid a tub, and layers nicely under things.

I like the Korres range -- particularly their Fennel shower gel.

I also like Neal's Yard Aromatic bubble bath, and their orange flower and geranium line.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Morrocan rose water, which can be picked up for tuppence over there, but it is quite expensive in the UK.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I really should pay more attention to these things.....

I'm sort of stuck in my Band BW time-warp: Shower gels in fruits and flowers (Mango...Japanese Cherry Blossom....Coconut Lime Verbena....a melon-y thing) Exfoliants (see above) Body Butters (such a great name!) For types, see above. Wolfie gave me a great Peony/Rose......

Ava Luxe makes some rully nice Body Milks (I've got Loukhoum). A boatload of body lotions that accompanied their sister frags...(Kingdom...Nu....Joy)

For silkening the bod I love Weleda's Wild Rose Body Oil.....for non-rose events I stick with unscented Neutrogena Sesame Oil.

I think I can learn a lot from you guys who investigate all kinds of body-care.....

I really should pay more attention to these things....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Nuki, please consider participating in a 3x3 Blind Sniff, a real prefumista blind sniff.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I like the Imaginez La Provenše line of body creams. A few years back there were a quantity of them at T.J.Maxx being sold for $3-$5 and thanks to my spare fridge, I have a supply for a while yet.

L'Occitane
    Mistral
    Avalon Organics
    Frederick Fekkai
    Olivina
    Last edited by Asha; 23rd May 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Nuke, I've been meaning to tell you that I think you have the most interesting job! It must be fantastic to work in the industry.
    Aww, thank you. I love it, obviously, but I feel like a complete newbie in the perfumista/perfumer circles still! When I was younger, I sort of semi-accidentally drifed into the cosmetics industry (though with hindsight it seems less accidental) and now it's both blessing and a curse: there is no line between this big passion for scents and cosmetics versus "work", so switching off is close to impossible. That's one of the reasons I decided not to even try learn how to be a professional illustrator after I got stuff published. I suddenly realised that it might ruin just about my only remaining free way to express myself (mind you, never say never ).

So far as body products are concerned, I have a deep and abiding love to Gilchrist & Soames body butter. It is a must have, and I buy 6 at a time to keep stocked up. It has a fresh lemony flavor that is very top drawer.

I also have CSP Vanilla Abricot, which I layer with Coco & Pacifica's Tibetan Mountain Temple. I do keep around a Coty's Wild musk body spray, but that's mostly for high school memories.
    Interesting; I've seen Gilchrist & Soames in hotels, but never for sale anywhere else. Looks like they have a website with online shopping facility. Is this the product you mean? Sounds delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Good thread, Nuky

I like Waitrose own brand Baby Bottom Butter. It's pure shea butter, chamomile and vanilla. It's a couple of quid a tub, and layers nicely under things.

I like the Korres range -- particularly their Fennel shower gel.

I also like Neal's Yard Aromatic bubble bath, and their orange flower and geranium line.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Morrocan rose water, which can be picked up for tuppence over there, but it is quite expensive in the UK.
    I'll have to check out the Waitrose one; that's my local and I'm always in there

I can't make my mind up about Korres. There are a couple of products of theirs I quite liked when I tried some samples, one caused a big allergic reaction and two were a bit "meh". However, what really put me off was one over-enthusiastic sales assistant insisting that all the products were 100% natural (when a quick glance at the label will tell you otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    I really should pay more attention to these things.....

I'm sort of stuck in my Band BW time-warp: Shower gels in fruits and flowers (Mango...Japanese Cherry Blossom....Coconut Lime Verbena....a melon-y thing) Exfoliants (see above) Body Butters (such a great name!) For types, see above. Wolfie gave me a great Peony/Rose......

Ava Luxe makes some rully nice Body Milks (I've got Loukhoum). A boatload of body lotions that accompanied their sister frags...(Kingdom...Nu....Joy)

For silkening the bod I love Weleda's Wild Rose Body Oil.....for non-rose events I stick with unscented Neutrogena Sesame Oil.

I think I can learn a lot from you guys who investigate all kinds of body-care.....

I really should pay more attention to these things....
    Yes, I sometimes go for the matching body products too - it depends on the scent and matching products though. It's often an easier way to carry a gourmand fragrance for me. Sometimes I default to the lotion for those. Pleasures Delights is one example where that works well.

As before, I do rate Weleda's scents and products. They're above most of what's out there available in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Nuki, please consider participating in a 3x3 Blind Sniff, a real prefumista blind sniff.

I might, though I might be rubbish at it! Maybe...

There was an interesting snippet about blind-sniffing here, which talked about priming patternicity (which is apparently the concept of "your brain won't be able to pin down what it is you're smelling unless someone tells you what to expect first").

Would probably be fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I like the Imaginez La Provenše line of body creams. A few years back there were a quantity of them at T.J.Maxx being sold for $3-$5 and thanks to my spare fridge, I have a supply for a while yet.
    Hmm, I don't know that line at all...

(Hoping for lots of exotic not-available0in-UK toiletries to pop up Am I the only one who gets excited about going to drugstores in other countries? )

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    L'Occitane
    Mistral
    Avalon Organics
    Frederick Fekkai
    Olivina
    Any particular products from those lines you like? Is Frederick Fekkai any good as hair care? I've got a sample somewhere; should probably try it.

Haven't heard of Olivina. *Googles*

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Interesting; I've seen Gilchrist & Soames in hotels, but never for sale anywhere else. Looks like they have a website with online shopping facility. Is this the product you mean? Sounds delicious!
    That's the one. You're right, usually only found in hotels. I order it off the website every 6 months or so. I keep the little hotel sized samples for my purse.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Left out 2 more:
    Dove soap, original scent. I love opening a fresh bar and taking a big sniff.

the original Oil of Olay moisturizer. Before they came out with the infinite number of varieties.
    I wish all their products smelled like the mama scent!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Oh great, Lessa, I might have to try it then...

And you're right about the original Olay having a cosy scent. Whether that's due to memory association now or not, who can say!

Meanwhile, went and had a look at Avalon Organics site. They are available at our local Waitrose, but I've never tried them. Got irritated straight away about their holier-than-thou preaching about absolutely no petrochemicals, yet when you check their ingredient glossary, they use copolymers made of acrylic acid, which is an oil refinery by-product. *headdesk* Why can't people just say "hey, we would prefer not to do this this and this, and we've sort of managed it here, here and here?" Rather than be all preachy and then end up looking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Any particular products from those lines you like? Is Frederick Fekkai any good as hair care? I've got a sample somewhere; should probably try it.

Haven't heard of Olivina. *Googles*
    From Mistral and L'Occitaine I favor the shea butter bar soaps, but all of their soap and lotion products are great, especially hand soap and hand lotions. Scents from these lines I like are Lavender and Herbs de Provence (or similar).

Fekkai has more than hair care, but it is mostly the hair care I use--I recently bought the Au Naturel shampoo with has a mild, slightly herbal scent. I have tried Glossing, Full Volume, and Shea--all smell great, my favorite being the volumizing.

Olivina hand soap and lotion--not the fig or lavender, but the "regular" olive scent. Gorgeous green.

Avalon Organics has hair and body care. I like their rosemary shampoo, conditioner and liquid handsoap. I also like their bar soap quite a bit--it is similar to Kiss My Face. Most of their scents are very pleasant and natural smelling.

Thanks, Asha! that Olivina one sounds gorgeous; must get some to try. Does the Fekkai volumising shampoo work w/out making hair dry?

Nukapai, my hair has been in an oily phase for a couple of years now. In the winter when my scalp is a bit drier, the Full Volume shampoo seems soothing and a good balance for "normal" hair. It does not make my hair "squeak" after I rinse (over stripped), and the conditioner is light and does not weigh down my hair. In the summer I need something stronger, so I usually switch to oily hair formulations. In dry scalp phases of my life, the Shea products have been great, especially the conditioner.

Side note--all but the Au Naturel have Sulfate-based detergents. I happen to be one of those that becomes sensitive to the detergents from time to time. These are used in almost every shampoo on earth, so I must keep switching. That is why I went to the Au Naturel for now.

I forgot to mention Kiehl's--I love most of their products too. The Creme de Corps is a great lotion and smells really nice, almost nutty.
    Last edited by Asha; 23rd May 2009 at 04:14 PM.

I'll give the volumising one a go then, thanks for the extended explanation. I like trying out different shampoos. Not bothered about sulphates, though I find that for my artificially coloured hair the sodium coco sulphate seemed to be a good option (wasn't quite so effective at the squeaky-clean, which meant less colour stripping!). And presumably the scents of the Fekkai line are ones you'd rate? (Bringing thread back on topic ).

Kiehl's has never made me go ga-ga, though I've dipped in and out of their range over the year, trying various things here and there. I'll go on a re-sniffathon of their stuff one day.

Yes, for hair care scent, I enjoy all of the Fekkai line, but I also like Avalon Organics.
    Last edited by Asha; 23rd May 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Nukes, I quite agree that the Korres line isn't all natural. That's a nonsense. But the green tea and mint gel is nice, and so is the rose face cream.

L'Occitane are generally a good bet, too. Love their fig line, and their verbena stuff.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Cool, thanks Asha (I sense a sniffing spree coming on...)

Soirdelune - Yes, I rather like the Verbena line too actually, though that's about it from L'Occitane at the moment.

I enjoy shower gels and liquid soaps from L'Occitane and Molton Brown.

I like the shower gels from A'Kin, especially the Jasmine which smells like A La Nuit. The fact that their products do not contain SLS is a plus.

Ojon's hair products smell good.

I like certain of the Pacifica soaps and body butters, along with Body Shop coconut body butter. Then, there was a Ruben's Remedies rosewater body butter that was just delightful. This I found last year on clearance at Marshalls and nowhere else. It had the cleanest fragrance and was wonderful for layering.

I recently bought a jar of Pacifica's Tibetan Mountain Temple body butter. Surprisingly, it smells more like good gingerbread than anything else. I'm saving it for fall.

I love the Korres line, which I discovered in Greece 1-2 years ago, and is now available in Sweden too. Unfortunately I think it's a bit to expensive here - so I stock up whenever I go to Greece! My favourite is the Cedarwood shower gel and body lotion - divine! And so good for layering with almost any fragrance.

I just discovered another rather cheap greek line of products; Kings & Queens. Has anone else tried them? They have a shower gel and body cream scented with Myrrh - my favourite so far!

I have recently started to look for good deals on body lotions scented with my fragrances - a scented body cream can really help to boost a scent - especially the "transparent" ones. If you, like me, like Stella by Stella McCartney, but find it a bit too sheer - try combining it with the body lotion, it's wonderful!

Cool, starting to have stuff I've not tried and/or heard of (Pacifica being one).

I think the green tea & mint sounds nice from Korres. Must investigate.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter body lotion, an old favourite, love the smell of this. Also Molton Brown Blissful Templetree bath and shower, Crabtree & Evelyn Naturals Mango & Grapefruit Body Butter and Elemis Exotic Frangipani Monoi Moisture Melt. I really like the C & E Naturals range in general. Oh and Radox Natural Balance Shower Smoothies, the one with yoghurt and honey. I also much prefer the scent of Sure deoderants over any others. This could be a long list so I'd better stop now!

No, please do list away! Actually, you've reminded me, there was a lovely (can't remember what it was called now exactly) silkening body lotion from Molton Brown I liked quite a while ago. I don't even know if they make that any more.

Lots of people are almost addicted to the Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion. Of course it is perfumed and doesn't really smell like cocoa butter that much. I think they've done a good job of making people associate their product perfume with what people expect cocoa butter to smell like.

TiGi shampoo always smells delicious. I had one that reminded me of some blackberry gum and the brunette goddess smells of yummy and runny karamel.

I know you dont want to say something nice about the company you work for, but I can, the BeNever bodysprays are comparable to edt strength perfume. It lasts for hours on the skin and the soap is good too. Maybe not on the entire body because is does dry out the skin a bit.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I love the slightly plasticky smell of Dr. Palmer's products, weirdly enough. It's supposed to be cocoa butter, but I doubt it really does smell like that. Who cares. (Scrolling up I see Palmer's has *just* been mentioned so much for reading the thread in full)
    Some lines from the Body Shop are excellent, mainly the nutty ones. I don't care much for the fruity concoctions. My all time fave has to be their discontinued Almond line.
    Also adore Bath & Body Works Blackcurrant Vanilla massage lotion. I understand they're considered too generic to be taken seriously by our US BN'ers, but it's all new to me of course. Wasn't impressed with any of the other products I smelled while there, but this one I took home with me. Yum.
    Kings & Queens *is* nice, though I've never been tempted to shell out for it.
    And lastly there's a cheapo shampoo that smells of coconut macaroons - lovely - but I can't recall the name. Will look up.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Veuve, pure cocoa butter is incredible. Like a solid chunk of good quality chocolate. A friend of mine used to import and sell the little blocks of it. She's of Jamaican parentage, and says black women swear by it for its softening properties. Good for stretchmarks, apparently.

chaelaren, I agree about Sure deodorant/antiperspirant. I tried Arrid because it seemed to really work, but the smell was so annoying, I couldn't finish the stick. Degree also has some nice scents, but I haven't fully explored that line. There are some "feminine" ones that are moisturizing--Secret, I think, and maybe Dove. Their scents are soft and unobtrusive, but I often find they are less effective.

Also, has anyone ever noticed that "men's" deodorant sticks often smell like a generic aquatic fragrance? It is no wonder so many here do not like aquatics if they smell like a cheap deodorant stick. Likewise, many "women's" sticks smell like powder, so some oriental scents which feature powder are really offputting.
    Last edited by Asha; 24th May 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Phytobalm mallow conditioner is amazing
    Hugo's Geranium and Melon body butter
    Rusk Moist conditioner, not shampoo
    And I like hair products that smell of jelly beans but they always get disontinued. Like Trader Joe's Essentials in the blue bottles. Or Vidal Sassoon hair cair products.
    I like Caress Cream Oil Exotics Japanese
    The Body Shop Hemp Hand Cream

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Veuve, pure cocoa butter is incredible. Like a solid chunk of good quality chocolate. A friend of mine used to import and sell the little blocks of it. She's of Jamaican parentage, and says black women swear by it for its softening properties. Good for stretchmarks, apparently.
    I'd love to smell (and try on skin!) the raw product, but I've only ever tried it in products. The Body Shop features it heavily in some of their balms and body butters, I think. Chocolate smells very yummy, though, so I can imagine the goodness.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I have Neutrogena Sesame Oil, Chanel No 5 Satin dry oil spray, Kingdom body lotion and Ormonde Jayne Frangipane Absolut body lotion. I just wish I had time to use them, another rung to climb on the post-baby maintenance ladder I think.

I like Body Shop body butters, especially the pink grapefruit one, I often wear Pampelune for work so that goes quite nicely. Dove have brought out a new deodorant which smells of grapefruit and lemongrass which I also like to wear on Pampelune days.

The organic pharmacy does an amazing rose and jasmine body oil which I loved so much I went looking for a perfume to wear with it rather than the other way around - ended up getting Ruby from the Cotswold Perfumery. Weleda do a nice rose deodorant too.

I also use Korres products - the jasmine to wear with various jasmine based perfumes and the cedarwood to use with feminite du bois. But I remember them as being more strongly scented when they first came out and I used to use the vanilla cinamon one. The cedar one I have doesn't seem to smell of anything much.

I loved the smell of the original finesse shampoos. I also love using oil of olay lotions (third generation user).
    My boyfriend LOVES the smell of the fruity body sprays like black raspberry vanilla, country apple from the body shop or love spell from victoria's secret.WTF? I have high quality perfumes and he likes this stuff?
    I dont like deoderants that smell, they interfere with my perfumes.

Korres- Quince body butter, Bitter Almond body milk.
    Marius Fabre soaps all
    Roger & Gallet soaps all
    Fa deodorant (non-antiperspirant) sprays; Caribbean lemon, Exotic Garden, Sunflower, Mandarin Peach,
    Pink Paradise (floral)
    Lait handcream, Jasmin, Hibiscus, Almond

Vichy foot creme, smells of Ivy

I also adore the scent (and taste) of my Guerlain "Kiss Kiss Maxi Shine" lip-gloss stick. The colour is called candy and it tastes of fruit/candy, smells delicious also.

I guess I love scent in all its various forms. I love for everything I use to be parfumed.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser Ó sa source

My favorite soap...hands down...Dove! The non-scented, regular kind. I love the way it smells, it makes me happy every morning when I use it. It's a godsend for my very sensitive skin and I can even wash my face with it without having to worry about calling in the Zit Army.

My favorite hand soap, though, is Eucalyptus Spearmint from Bath and Body Works, it's in their aromatherapy line. Almost everybody that washes their hands with this walks away with their hands stuffed by their nose, sniffing away happily. I even brought a bottle for us to have in the bathroom at the bank where I work (as we wash our hands a lot and a little luxury there is very welcome)...someone STOLE the bottle of soap because they liked it so much! At least they had good taste in theft, I guess.

I, too, love cocoa butter and I used to swear by Palmer's. I don't know if a few years ago they went through a reformulation or if my nose just changed drastically, but now there's a really fake, plastic-y smell to it that I can't get over. I now use the Vaseline brand of cocoa butter and it's fab. The scent and texture are right on for me and the price is great. The only downside is that my dachshund keeps following me around, trying to lick the lotion off of any limb she can reach.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgňrd
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Blog Entries

I looove Gilchrist and Soames Wake up Rosemary! I discovered their line after staying at the Grand Sierra resort in Reno. I have lotion and shower gel; it's great stuff.

I took a late afternoon shower today since I was taking DH out for dinner (it's his birthday today!). For the first time since last summer, I reached for Avon's Be Spontaneous shower gel. It was given to me by a co-worker who sold Avon, and I haven't tried the perfume, but I do like the shower gel when it's hot outside. It's pretty typically fruity-floral and not at all something I'd wear as a fragrance, but I really like it as a shower gel on hot afternoons or bright summer mornings.

Otherwise, my favorite shower gels are Neutrogena Rainbath (been using it for decades and wish they'd make a perfume out of it!), Bath & Body Works Juniper Breeze (really love this stuff), and B&BW Cotton Blossom. I absolutely do not like anything that smells like fruit (apple, melon, orange, what have you), or vanilla, coconut, mint... anything foody, really, and I also don't like perfumes/fragrances that are gourmand or fruity. I've also had a bottle of Yardley lavender shower gel for years, and I'm so bored with it that I can't bring myself to finish off the last ounce and be done with it.

Generally, for moisturizer, I just use a store-brand Lubriderm lotion. But before bed, I like to use Pre de Provence lavender shea butter hand cream, or Asquith & Somerset shea butter moisturizer, or Neutrogena lavender and chamomile overnight body cream. These are good for my hands and feet. Funny how I like calming lavender in the evening, but it just doesn't have the zing to get me going in the shower in the morning.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Ooooooohhhh...you all are really setting off my scented soap addiction Seriously, I have a supply of soaps that I don't think I can use for at least 7 years! I always buy 3-5 bars when I only need one. How bad is that?

*Burt's Bees*
    Last edited by misscasey; 2nd June 2009 at 12:48 PM.

I forgot one: There's this lotion by a Finnish brand Nanoel (manufactured by Noiro); it's meant to be firming, but really, it's just your basic body lotion with a pretty bog standard formula. But the scent is really lovely! It's a sort of synthetic orange blossom-y, but nice in a kind of "shower fresh" way. I used it today and only have one full application's worth left in the tube. Been saving it because I'm not due to go to Finland for a while yet.

Basenotes Institution

Ther are two product smells I adore.
    1. Clarins Body Shaping Cream - I have loved its fragrance for years and I have emailed Clarins several times, told their SAs - please please make this into a stand alone fragrance. I have bought the product for the smell alone.
    2.Olay Vanilla Indulgence bar saop - this is a new addiction- I also emailed Olay to ask them to make it into a body spray . It's yummy !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.