Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Thumbs up Still the best in my drobe

At a guess, I have a few hundred scents on hand. About half are FB's and the rest atomizer swaps and sample vials.

I have been systematically wearing them all for multiple wearings and I've learned not to give up on a frag after one wearing unless it's flat out horrible to my nose. Only a few fall into that category.

What's amazing is that the very one I found to be great in the beginning of this insane hobby and quest is STILL the best I have ever smelled and had the honor to own and wear. PATOU POUR HOMME seems to be in a league by itself out of all my collection and the only opportunity I get to wear it is very special occasions.

In the last year, I've worn it 3 times including today (Wedding). I guess sometimes in this life, all the stars line up and something very special occurs. It's a beautiful thing to know that this bottle is within grasp when needed. My hat indeed is off to Kerleo for this creation.

Default Re: Still the best in my drobe

Rather difficult to name such a scent from my collection of a few FB's and lots of decants --- but if I must, I'll give the nod to Spirituese Double Vanille.

Took me a while to "get" it, but now that I have -- there's very little that compares.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I really like PPH as well. But without doubt, my hands down favorite remains Bois du Portugal,
    and I can't see anything displacing it. Although, I seem intent on giving every other frag in the world a shot at it!

Basenotes Plus

Completely with you on Patou Pour Homme - why oh why do they discontinue the classics ???
    Also cannot ever see Green Irish Tweed disappearing from my wardrobe.

I haven't been in this serious fragtrance collector mode for very long, but at the start of my new addiction I was sent a sample of A La Nuit a year and a half ago. It's the first bottle in my collection I'm starting to get back ups for. It started my passion for jasmine and is the standard I compare all other Jasmines too. Tania Sanchez described it as death by jasmine, well I'll be dying with a smile on my face if it ever does me in.

Well before this addiction proper I was rather taken by angel innocent, lolita lempicka L and city glam. These 3 were worn just as often, i think I went through a bottle each and started on a new one. Angel innocent was swapped, I started to hate it. Lolita Lempicka L, I still appreciate it and love it as a gourmande but I don't reach for it often and I doubt I will anytime soon. City Glam strangely enough I sprayed in the air yesterday and I was taken by its lovely chemical freshness and it's coming to Shanghai with me. It's light enough to be worn there and I like it's presence, it's a little chypre even I think, but very synthetic, querky, cheerful, a little formal (chypre) and it's extremely right for some occasions. So that is one oldie for me that can still capture my attention.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

AromiErotici

Strange quest we are all on isn't it?

I intently look and try for scents that equal or surpass Patou PH, but I haven't run across it yet. I have yet to try BDP or SDV, so I guess I will put those on my "must sample" list.

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    I really like PPH as well. But without doubt, my hands down favorite remains Bois du Portugal,
    and I can't see anything displacing it. Although, I seem intent on giving every other frag in the world a shot at it!
    I am right there with you! I have looked for something I like better (and actively continue to), but so far Bois du Portugal takes the cake for me. I have found some fantastic frags, but BdP just feels like home.

A few high up there...

Le Labo Patchouli 24
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    SL Chergui

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Strange quest we are all on isn't it?

I intently look and try for scents that equal or surpass Patou PH, but I haven't run across it yet. I have yet to try BDP or SDV, so I guess I will put those on my "must sample" list.
    Have you tried Costume National 21? I did a side by side comparison with PPH and found some similarities. I'm not the greatest at picking out all notes (21 has 21) so I couldnt tell you exactly what it was. Of course they are different, but give it a shot and see what you think.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Still the best in my drobe

I see a pattern here. My first serious fragrance was Jaipur which, I still keep in my top ten to wear. I think Jaipur, Mitsouko and L'heure Bleue best define my olfactive niche. I think it is human nature to believe that something better and extotic is just out of reach but, with effort and luck we will find it. It is that striving for the unknown and out of reach that defines us as a species. We are consumed by our pasion to know all that can be known and discovered about fragrance and all else. I suppose I have to quote Start Trek here: " .......to boldly go where no one has gone before." It is logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I haven't been in this serious fragtrance collector mode for very long.
    O/T - As you were mentioning in another post, Icelanders don't really wear fragrances. What is the testing/purchasing process for you like? Do you just order samples from Europe and the States?

I haven't been collecting cologne for very long, but my favorite so far is one that I regrettably don't own: Polo Modern Reserve.

I look forward to continue sampling. However, the best in my wardrobe was the fragrance that in the year 2000 introduced me to how very different a fragrance can be than the typical offering. For the Creed haters, please be kind enough to save it for another thread:

Creed Green Irish Tweed!

As Robert Smith of the Cure would sing, "Just like Heaven."

Best,

TJ

AE,
    you reminded me about the very first bottle of "real French cologne" which start my collection in 1992.
    It seems too sweet for me, too cologney, too girlish also... And splash bottle was not very useful too...

So from the three scents that had been sent to me from Paris, I preferred Antaeus by Chanel and ended 50 ml bottle in 3 years.
    Also I weared Eternity, Photo Lagerfeld, Fahrenheit Dior, Tuscany Aramis, Havana Aramis, etc-etc-etc.
    Then my collection become more, I went into niche part of perfumery, and I almost forgot about that dark red box.

Some days ago I was just wondering - what are my Guerlains doing? Those Vol de Nuit, Chamade, Cologne 68, Coriolan, L`Instant PH etc (Vetiver Guerlain lives in special Vetiver department) - and found that this red box (copyright 1980) still there!!!
    Oh, what a great scent it is!
    Habit Rouge!
    I`m glad that I did not swap it for something new\niche\selective - this is great cologne with excellent body and sillage! I would not wear it often - I still think it`s too benjoin sweet, but I appreciate it much more!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

If it is a very hot day and the sun is shining and I am sweating a bit, SL Arabie. However, for any other time during the summer, it is AdP Colonia Assoluta.

During the cooler/cold months it would have to be Envy, my first.

I get the same feeling from Homme de Gres. Everytime I spray it, I get taken back to the special occasions that I've worn it to and they were fond memories. Is there something about discontinued scents that makes things seem better?

I made the "mistake" of wearing Armani Diamonds instead of Homme de Gres to a special event. It didn't feel the same

Terre d'Hermes
    Montale - Red Vetyver

I can reach for either one at any time, any season, any occasion....and I do.

I would like to try Patou Pour Homme - obviously a classic. I have been lucky enough to stumble on a few good,old scents over this last year or so but like others here I do have a reset mode. Around the mid to late 90s I bought Green Irish Tweed and AdP Colonia - my first real purchases - both had recently turned up in Asia. Perfect for the climate here and a nice balance of Citrus and Aromatic. They have lasted me for over a decade and if I had to give up all the new discoveries and live with them for the rest of my life I would be PERFECTLY happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Terre d'Hermes
    Montale - Red Vetyver

I can reach for either one at any time, any season, any occasion....and I do.
    J_W_S

mate it baffles me how you have these 2 scents co-existing in your 10 scents wardrobe....and the fact that you love both of them just as much...wow man....

All my perfumes bow down & kneel before the great and supreme scent of his majesty "OR BLACK" (original).

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    J_W_S

mate it baffles me how you have these 2 scents co-existing in your 10 scents wardrobe....and the fact that you love both of them just as much...wow man....
    It is 9 scents now. I think they are similar in style, but Red Vetyver is deeper with a semi gourmand feel to me at times. Terre loves the heat more and is mineralic in feel. I just love the way they both smell and Terre has too many lovely life associations for me to part with it. I have long since thrown the notion of needing a frag from every category (balanced wardrobe if you will). I just keep the few things around that I want to wear continually and that is it. If I don't love it, I don't keep it...no collecting for me anymore.

I agree Patou PH is very special and I regret I only have a large decant . I once had a chance to buy a bottle but at the time didn't know the scent.

It's hard to pick a single scent that I revere above all others, but if I had to pick it would probably be my 'pyramid' bottle of Guerlain Derby from the 80s. When I wear it I'm in heaven the whole day.