Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermes - a review

'...The grapefruit is sweetened with the tiniest rose accord; wet and juicy, very bright and lip puckering. The rose note is quickly buried on skin and in the air and simultaneously highlights the wonderful, flavorful combination of the two…and introduces a wonderful citrus/rose component similar to the brand new Perrier Pink Grapefruit mineral water, but sweeter. A fresh cut grapefruit drizzled with edible rose petal water would smell like this, for a second, right before you swallow it. But then, after you chewed it you’d experience the lingering and delicious presence of both...

You can read the full review on my guest post at Sorcery of Scent (Dimitri's blog) here.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermes - a review

And summer has just arrived . . . you present a very compelling case for checking this out immediately!

Great work Mr Perez!

Dimitri definitely has a more vivid perception of this compared to mine - I found it to be nice, but nothing more than that. A decent, light grapefruit of no particular interest. I'd probably wear it if it had it, but would never purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Dimitri definitely has a more vivid perception of this compared to mine - I found it to be nice, but nothing more than that. A decent, light grapefruit of no particular interest. I'd probably wear it if it had it, but would never purchase.
    This review was done by Mike Perez sofresh

Blog Entries

Awesome review! I was really looking forward to a nice release from Hermès this year - looks like this is the one. I may try the Perrier just for grins! Something in the region between several scents that I admire (HRI, CdOV, UJSlN, KCedp) and one that I love (TdH), sounds like a winner.

Love the new shot of Dimitri on his site, too! It definitely appeals to my inner tobacco aficionado.

I bought a bottle two days ago and love the grapefruit scent. Very refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    FYI, Mike wrote the review for Dimtri's blog as a guest reviewer.

wonderful review! I shall test as soon as I can.

Can anyone tell us what rhubofix is?

OOPS - never mind, the review tells us: aka rhubarb oxirane, a Firmenich molecule described by Hermes as ‘fresh, woody, spicy, floral rhubarb’.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 24th May 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    OOPS - never mind, the review tells us: aka rhubarb oxirane, a Firmenich molecule described by Hermes as ‘fresh, woody, spicy, floral rhubarb’.
    Now you know where to go for that rhubarb fix.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys - this scent spoke to me on many different levels so it seemed natural that I want a bottle: it has been quite a while since I've loved a new Hermes release (I really hated Un Jardin Apres la Mousson and Vanille Galante) and I love the smell of grapefruit. The rose was icing on the cake.

Yes I have to splash it on, but of course Hermes is marketing it that way, so I don't feel like I'm being duped (like I did when I wore the ultra-weak Hermessence Brin de Reglisse).

I see a bottle split of EdPM in my future.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oops...sorry Mike. Take original comments and reverse names please.

I tried this one yesterday, and I completely disappointed. This rose opened with a very strong citrus note. I think:" Well, it's very Hermes style". About twenty minutes, the base notes appeared. Still nothing special happenned. This scent is really simple. A soft rose note combines with strong citrus notes. It smelled weird. Too feminin for me. Besides, the longervity is too weak. About 3 or 4 hours. With a very high price, I think buying this one is not a good idea.

Sur la Plage

I tried this at Neiman Marcus. I liked it, but it is way too fleeting for me to ever justify buying it for $125. Maybe when it gets discounted to $25 I would consider it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried this at Neiman Marcus. I liked it, but it is way too fleeting for me to ever justify buying it for $125. Maybe when it gets discounted to $25 I would consider it.
    +1

I can overlook this fault in EdOV because it can be had cheaply, but this is simply too expensive for what it is.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

For anyone who's been wanting this but waiting for a price drop, you can get it at Beauty Encounter. The price there has just come down, and there's a 20% off coupon that expires today, FFD886.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

A side note, I don't believe there's any 'rose' in this one; 'Pamplemousse Rose' translated from French is 'Pink grapefruit'
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    A side note, I don't believe there's any 'rose' in this one; 'Pamplemousse Rose' translated from French is 'Pink grapefruit'
    I didn't really notice any rose, but according to Hermes, there is:

"A sparkling and deliciously sharp freshness and a refined floral note of roses. A classical Cologne, standing out thanks to its very modern composition."

I think the Pink Grapefruit name is a play on words by actually including some rose.

Basenotes Institution

I must admit, that I secretly wanted to own a bottle of this, before I headed off to my summer vacation...and yet, I never got around to getting it.

It'll have to wait 'til Summer 2010.

summer means fireflys

Mike, did you use all of the samples we got that day at the Hermes boutique? I ended up wearing it just once. I liked it quite a bit, but NOT enough to pay full retail for it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Mike, did you use all of the samples we got that day at the Hermes boutique? I ended up wearing it just once. I liked it quite a bit, but NOT enough to pay full retail for it.
    Oh yes - gone!

It's available on Ebay and at other online retailers at about 50% off the retail price. I just got distracted with all of my other purchases, this one got lost in the mix. No biggie. It'll give me something to look forward to next Summer. As it is, my fragrances that I'm taking on my vacation will be just fine.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th August 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Great review Dimitri and thanks
    for posting it here Mike
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    You know, to be honest, even though they SAY there is a touch of rose in it, it must be, like, a very tiny brush with the tip of only one petal. MAX. Seriously, I find it very hard to discern the rose. There is a certain dusty, moist, rose-like quality to it, but it's not enough that I can say "Yeah - there's the rose!" Still, whatever it is, it's good.

I burned through my sample quickly, long after they were sold out locally, and went into serious withdrawal for this one. Because of that, I splurged for the big bottle when I got the chance. I went totally "Mandom" with it for about a week - it's wonderful when you do, trust me. I finally got over it after another week of more normal use. Now I'm back to occasional use, and I still love it. I think it's one of the most pleasant ephemeral scents that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You know, to be honest, even though they SAY there is a touch of rose in it, it must be, like, a very tiny brush with the tip of only one petal. MAX. Seriously, I find it very hard to discern the rose. There is a certain dusty, moist, rose-like quality to it, but it's not enough that I can say "Yeah - there's the rose!" Still, whatever it is, it's good.

I burned through my sample quickly, long after they were sold out locally, and went into serious withdrawal for this one. Because of that, I splurged for the big bottle when I got the chance. I went totally "Mandom" with it for about a week - it's wonderful when you do, trust me. I finally got over it after another week of more normal use. Now I'm back to occasional use, and I still love it. I think it's one of the most pleasant ephemeral scents that I own.
    I agree that the rose doesn't dominate but it's surely there!

Count me as a fan, my wife likes and wears it too, a staple for the summer months.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I hesitated whether to buy it because of high price. This eau de cologne costs the same as Terre d'Hermes extract. I think higher price is for using more natural ingredients.
    I love the smell. I agree with those who say that it is a variation on Terre d'Hermes. It's naturally smeling and light Terre d'hermes. The drydown is rather similar to Terre d'Hermes extract.

I bought the big bottle - 200 ml and the bottle is gorgeous. Very simple but you just want to take it and liberally spray.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

This sounds delicious. I am a big TdH fan. I have been tempted to get this, but backed off.

I just ordered two Acqua di Parma scents, Colonia and Assoluta, so I will have to wait on this one from Hermes. Too many colognes at once and I might be angry over the lack of "oomph" from that type.