Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I'll never forget the first time I smelled Black Aoud. WOW! It's love or hate - and for me it was love. I'm still in love years later. Same goes for Aoud Flowers and "Sweet Oriental Dream" on my Wife.

    Montale is starting to remind of some of those bands that come out with an album that just knocks your socks off with every song a mind blower and you can't wait for another album. Then the second album comes and it's crap - then a third and fourth and still crap. Twenty years later you realize it was there only one good album - that being the first. Montales last ten releases are for the most part duds. That hurts me to write those words since my love for Black Aoud goes so deep.

    Wild Aoud - First this is so inappropriately named. There is nothing "wild" about it. I would name it -

    "Tamed Aoud"
    "Docile Aoud"
    "Domesticated Aoud"
    "Spiritless Aoud"
    "Aoud Unplugged"
    "Aoud Under" - didn't want my mates in Australia to feel left out
    "Aoudless"

    I hope you don't mind me using the Luca Turin two word description - I think it's fun

    "sweet wood"
    Dry down is very reminiscent of Gaiac by M. Micallef - Sorry guys this one's a dud. Don't waste your money on a sample unless you're a "nutcase" like me searching for another good Montale. I'm not saying there is any gaiac in this, it just smells like there is - it may be tonka bean like the perfumed court thinks there might be.

    Deep Roses - "boring" - I know it was suppose to be a two word description but my Wife could only come up with one. Another inappropriately named scent. Nothing "deep" about it. My names go like this -

    "Boring Rose"
    "No Rose @ All Rose"
    "Wannabe Rose"
    "Tedious Rose"
    "Tiresome Rose"
    "Virgin Rose" - Like when you order a drink without alcohol - hence without rose
    "Thinking of Rose"
    "Wish I was a Rose"
    "Rose Dreamer"
    "Diluted Rose"
    "If I was a Rose"

    This is the perfumed court's description:
    Deep Roses is the most incredible rose fragrance--it is exactly like burying your face in a bouquet of roses. For those of you who don't like rose fragrances, this would be the one to try. Not overpowering, but a true, fresh rose scent.

    thebecks description - Where are the roses? - Highness Rose smells like roses and is wonderful. Just @ $700.00 for 100ml just isn't in my budget to smell like a rose. This does not smell like a bouquet of roses.
    For the most part, my Wife and I both can't hardly detect much scent at all. Another waste of time and effort on this one. Honestly, Mr.Montale must have snorted too much "coke" and destroyed his nose from too much profits from Black Aoud sales.

    Like I said, it hurts to write bad things about an old flame, but my fellow basenoters get nothing but the truth from "thebeck"
    Last edited by thebeck; 24th May 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add vebage

  2. #2
    Lian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Can you compare the rose one to aoud rose petals, or queen rose?

    And it's good to know not too expect too much from new releases. For me anyway because I'm considering getting red aoud or black aoud.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

  3. #3
    Dependent
    moltening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    The Wild Aoud actually sounds good to me. I love sweet (honeyed? tonka bean-ed?) woods and Gaiac, but an FB of the Micallef is quite too expensive for the moment. At least it sounds different from Black Aoud and it's IMO a good thing that Pierre is doing something different, not another variation of rose-et-oud.

    Anyways, will be waiting to see what you think of Aoud Safran! There's still hope!

  4. #4

    Amit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    5,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    my fellow basenoters get nothing but the truth from "thebeck"
    And that's exactly why I appreciate your reviews


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  5. #5

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Can you compare the rose one to aoud rose petals, or queen rose?

    And it's good to know not too expect too much from new releases. For me anyway because I'm considering getting red aoud or black aoud.

    Aoud Rose Petals is nice and light years better than Deep Roses. Sorry I haven't experienced Queen Rose.

    About Red Aoud, sample first. It's a love or hate thing too. I love it, but many of my fellow basenoters do not agree with me. The best way to enjoy Red Aoud is to wear it to bed. Don't get a 50ml bottle. Get like a 5-10ml decant. It will last a long time and you'll save some money.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Damn! I had a horrible feeling this would be your verdict. As we're pretty much on the same wavelenght concerning other Montale releases (well, most of the time) I can no longer fool myself into thinking they'll be anything other than what you stated. Maybe Aoud Safran will be different but, based on the other three new releases being 'meh', I won't be holding my breath.

    If this really is the case (and my samples should be with me any day now) I think I'll have to provide Pierre with some brutally honest customer feedback, when I'm in Paris next month...

  7. #7

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Damn! I had a horrible feeling this would be your verdict. As we're pretty much on the same wavelenght concerning other Montale releases (well, most of the time) I can no longer fool myself into thinking they'll be anything other than what you stated. Maybe Aoud Safran will be different but, based on the other three new releases being 'meh', I won't be holding my breath.

    If this really is the case (and my samples should be with me any day now) I think I'll have to provide Pierre with some brutally honest customer feedback, when I'm in Paris next month...
    I'll get back on Aoud Saffron - I'll only make one comment until I have a full wearing. Spray lightly - it's major strong with room filling sillage.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'll get back on Aoud Saffron - I'll only make one comment until I have a full wearing. Spray lightly - it's major strong with room filling sillage.
    Do I detect a glimmer of hope here?

  9. #9
    Lian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I have a decant of red aoud, and it's not bad. I have sample vials of black aoud. I think you should give Pierre some direct customer feedback, ask him whether the new releases are doing well or not. And if not, well then maybe he should take longer making them like he used to.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I have a decant of red aoud, and it's not bad. I have sample vials of black aoud. I think you should give Pierre some direct customer feedback, ask him whether the new releases are doing well or not. And if not, well then maybe he should take longer making them like he used to.
    I'll try my best!

    We've had many exchanges both face-to-face and via e-mail, and he's already been made aware that there are a lot of admirers of some of his key releases here and, most importantly, why. However, I was hoping to leave his shop with something but the chances of that are dwindling...
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th May 2009 at 08:06 PM.

  11. #11
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    You slammed them hard; looking forward to the inevitable 'Wild Roses' and 'Deep Aoud' ..
    -

  12. #12

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Thanks The Beck. With a name like Wild Aoud I was very excited to try this when I get back to the states in a few weeks but I'm simply content knowing that Black Aoud is the only true love I have from Montale. I might try it anyway, just to know, but I'll probably save it for a later date. Thanks for the info!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I received my samples today and my initial impressions are pretty much the same as thebeck's:

    Deep Rose

    Deep Rose is an extremely genteel fragrance altogether. The rose is hardly detectable upon application but it does slightly emerge after a few minutes. The rose accord is very coy and soft, with a dominating metallic accord. It stays very close to the skin and, even when sniffing the application point, detecting any notes is somewhat challenging.

    However, during the drydown, the rose accord becomes more pevalent but not so much that the sillage issue is corrected. I do detect a trace of saffron in the mid-notes but we've pretty much been here before. Unfortunately, there's no depth here at all and, if I had to rename it, I would call it Mute Rose.

    Roses Musk is a far superior alternative.


    Wild Aoud

    Wild Aoud starts out just as coyly as Deep Rose but its intensity does increase over time. That's not to say it morphs into a sillage monster like the classic Montale aouds because it doesn't (and it doesn't come even close). Once again, sillage is almost non-existent and I can hardly detect any oud (like in many of Montale's recent oud offerings). What I detect, instead, is a sweet woody accord with maybe a hint of amber in the background.

    By this point, it smells very reminiscent of something I've smelt before (possibly Wood and Spices?) but, upon further musing, Nasomatto's Duro springs to mind. Maybe there is leather in this one as well but I'm not completely sure (and, to be honest, really couldn't care less) but it definitely comes across as a meeker version of Duro.

    So, don't go expecting anything decadent or reckless from Wild Aoud because it's far better behaved than a frail and incapacitated elderly woman quitely doing her knitting.

    Tame Aoud indeed (with lashings of cedar in the drydown)...


    Aoud Safran

    Aoud Safran is probably the best from Montale’s new Bronze Collection but it’s nowhere near as impressive as most of the releases from the aoud line.

    Imagine a demure Aoud Lime and you’ll be very close. However, unlike Aoud Lime, the oud is turned down several notches, allowing the saffron to take centre stage. It’s certainly more potent than anything else from the Bronze Collection but it still lacks the oomph that we’ve come to expect from this house.

    Sadly, there’s no danger, no surprises, no discordant harshness and certainly no worthwhile lasting impression. Unless you yearned for a less brash version of Aoud Lime, Aoud Safran is pretty much a redundant release that offers nothing new or exciting. However, if I was forced to recommend one from this new Montale collection, Aoud Safran would most certainly be it.
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th May 2009 at 06:30 PM.

  14. #14

    Amit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    5,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I must admit I had gotten my hopes [considerably] high for Aoud Safran -- false alarm I guess


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  15. #15

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I received my samples today and my initial impressions are pretty much the same as thebeck's:

    Deep Rose

    Deep Rose is an extremely genteel fragrance altogether. The rose is hardly detectable upon application but it does slightly emerge after a few minutes. The rose accord is very coy and soft, with a dominating metallic accord. It stays very close to the skin and, even when sniffing the application point, detecting any notes is somewhat challenging.

    However, during the drydown, the rose accord becomes more pevalent but not so much that the sillage issue is corrected. I do detect a trace of saffron in the mid-notes but we've pretty much been here before. Unfortunately, there's no depth here at all and, if I had to rename it, I would call it Mute Rose.

    Roses Musk is a far superior alternative.


    Wild Aoud

    Wild Aoud starts out just as coyly as Deep Rose but its intensity does increase over time. That's not to say it morphs into a sillage monster like the classic Montale aouds because it doesn't (and it doesn't come even close). Once again, sillage is almost non-existent and I can hardly detect any oud (like in many of Montale's recent oud offerings). What I detect, instead, is a sweet woody accord with maybe a hint of amber in the background.

    By this point, it smells very reminiscent of something I've smelt before (possibly Wood and Spices?) but, upon further musing, Nasomatto's Duro springs to mind. Maybe there is leather in this one as well but I'm not completely sure (and, to be honest, really couldn't care less) but it definitely comes across as a meeker version of Duro.

    So, don't go expecting anything decadent or reckless from Wild Aoud because it's far better behaved than a frail and incapacitated elderly woman quitely doing her knitting.

    Tame Aoud indeed (with lashings of cedar in the drydown)...


    Aoud Safran

    Aoud Safran is probably the best from Montaleís new Bronze Collection but itís nowhere near as impressive as most of the releases from the aoud line.

    Imagine a demure Aoud Lime and youíll be very close. However, unlike Aoud Lime, the oud is turned down several notches, allowing the saffron to take centre stage. Itís certainly more potent than anything else from the Bronze Collection but it still lacks the oomph that weíve come to expect from this house.

    Sadly, thereís no danger, no surprises, no discordant harshness and certainly no worthwhile lasting impression. Unless you yearned for a less brash version of Aoud Lime, Aoud Safran is pretty much a redundant release that offers nothing new or exciting. However, if I was forced to recommend one from this new Montale collection, Aoud Safran would most certainly be it.
    I didn't get a chance to talk about Aoud Saffran. You're description mirrors mine exactly. There's no doubt that it's a Montale. It goes on strong and fills the room. The funny thing is longevity is one hour tops.

    I'm beginning to be suspect that Montale is reducing concentration levels( and or cutting back on quality of ingredients) instead of raising prices. Early Aoud Montale's have incredible staying power and sillage.Why is it that the last ten or so have no staying power. I haven't talked about Fleur d"Oranger yet. It seems to be an exception and has great lasting power.

  16. #16
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I didn't get a chance to talk about Aoud Saffran. You're description mirrors mine exactly. There's no doubt that it's a Montale. It goes on strong and fills the room. The funny thing is longevity is one hour tops.

    I'm beginning to be suspect that Montale is reducing concentration levels( and or cutting back on quality of ingredients) instead of raising prices. Early Aoud Montale's have incredible staying power and sillage.Why is it that the last ten or so have no staying power. I haven't talked about Fleur d"Oranger yet. It seems to be an exception and has great lasting power.
    Would you mind describing Fleur d'Oranger thebeck? We can't seem to get a definitive answer on it's true existence, but whatever it is does it smell good? Or like anything else?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  17. #17
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Reading this reminds me of my wish that Montale would slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow down with their releases.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Okay, it's been almost 24 hours since I first tried these new Montale releases. While my general opinion of them remains pretty much the same, my experience of their longevity has changed somewhat:


    Aoud Safran

    This is probably the worst of the bunch for longevity. While it started out more confidently than the others, it only lasted about 2-3 hours on my skin.


    Deep Rose

    Lasted a reasonable length of time. The rose accord did become more prominent during the second hour into its lifespan but, a couple more hours later, what remained was a soapy scent with hardly any traces of rose. At a push, it lasted about 5-6 hours.


    Wild Aoud

    Although this started out pretty tame, its longevity has been very deceptive. Out of the three, I thought this one would completely fade first but this has not been the case. Even after a shower, I could still detect it on my skin. Itís been over 20 hours since I applied it and there are still traces of it on my arm. Unfortunately, the sillage still remained very close to the skin.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Would you mind describing Fleur d'Oranger thebeck? We can't seem to get a definitive answer on it's true existence, but whatever it is does it smell good? Or like anything else?
    thebeck, we would really appreciate what you have to say about Fleur d'Oranger. I'm really not sure who's telling the truth, regarding this creation, but the situation's really getting on my nerves.

  20. #20
    Merlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Great reviews guys! Which one would you suggest to a Montale veteren who's tried 'em all???
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  21. #21

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    The sample I have from the perfumedcourt says Fleur d'Oranger from Montale on it.

    Fleur d'Oranger goes on strong and sharp. Very good lasting power with medium sillage. What can I say about this Montale. Well, I just sit here and wonder why. I know if I were a perfume manufacturer and I liked Fleur d'Oranger I would want to create my own unique take on orange blossom.

    It's not unique. If you already own Serge Luten or L'Artisan I don't think this needs to be an addition to your wardrobe unless you may have longevity issues. The Montale excels in longevity on this one.

    Why, What For, I keep asking why any one would need this orange blossom over another is beyond me.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Thanks, thebeck for that. I'll definitely need to talk to Pierre about this. I just need to find my interegation tools...

    I think I understand what Montale's trying to do now (although not completely). I think it's more a case of attracting people from different cultures than strictly attempting to cater for Western tastes. If you have a look at the Japanese Montale website, there are hardly any of the powerhouse Montales offered, such as Blue Amber and Black Aoud:

    www.montale.jp/

    Maybe Montale is trying to break into Asia? It would make sense if this was the case. However, I'm still puzzled why they can't continue releasing at least a couple of potent and challenging fragrances per year. That wouldn't be asking too much now, would it?

  23. #23

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Boise Fruite by Montale:

    "fruity sweat"

    I personally enjoy my Wife wearing Chypre Fruit by Montale once in while. What the heck is this Boise Fruite crap. It goes on OK and smells fruity. Not as sweet as Chypre Fruit. As it begins to dry, it smells like a gym locker room with all the guys throwing leftover over ripened fruit from last weeks farmers market at each other after the football game.

    My only recommendation is to get a small decant for those meetings with ex-significant others. Keep it in your car, in case you get a DUI. Spray before going to jail to wart off sexual advances from inmates.

  24. #24

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Thanks, thebeck for that. I'll definitely need to talk to Pierre about this. I just need to find my interegation tools...

    I think I understand what Montale's trying to do now (although not completely). I think it's more a case of attracting people from different cultures than strictly attempting to cater for Western tastes. If you have a look at the Japanese Montale website, there are hardly any of the powerhouse Montales offered, such as Blue Amber and Black Aoud:

    www.montale.jp/

    Maybe Montale is trying to break into Asia? It would make sense if this was the case. However, I'm still puzzled why they can't continue releasing at least a couple of potent and challenging fragrances per year. That wouldn't be asking too much now, would it?
    Speaking of scents sold only to the Asian market by Montale. Have you tried Mango Manga. I have. I have a hard time being convinced that Asians want to smell like Mango Manga. Why would Asians have different noses than anyone else. Surely trash smells like trash any where in the world.

  25. #25
    Dependent
    moltening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Speaking of scents sold only to the Asian market by Montale. Have you tried Mango Manga. I have. I have a hard time being convinced that Asians want to smell like Mango Manga. Why would Asians have different noses than anyone else. Surely trash smells like trash any where in the world.
    Last time I wore a concentrated version of Black Aoud when it was 36 degrees celcius in the hot and humid climate of Bangkok, the people around were shell-shocked and ran as fast as they could to find shelter and cover in fear at the glooming cloud of BA -- it was great.

    Japan, however, is a different case. The winters there are genuinely cold to the bone, so they really should sell scents like Black Aoud or Sweet Oriental Dream there. (two of the best from Montale) It's a shame really.
    Last edited by moltening; 27th May 2009 at 07:50 PM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Speaking of scents sold only to the Asian market by Montale. Have you tried Mango Manga. I have. I have a hard time being convinced that Asians want to smell like Mango Manga. Why would Asians have different noses than anyone else. Surely trash smells like trash any where in the world.
    Well, I remember reading a few times on this forum that, in such countries, lighter fragrances are much preferred among the general buying public. I've also heard that certain mainstream releases are tweaked for such markets. I can understand how difficult it is to comprehend but cultural social conditioning needs to be taken into account, especially in industries such as perfumery.
    Last edited by Trebor; 27th May 2009 at 08:03 PM.

  27. #27

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, I remember reading a few times on this forum that, in such countries, lighter fragrances are much preferred among the general buying public. I've also heard that certain mainstream releases are tweaked for such markets. I can understand how difficult it is to comprehend but cultural social conditioning needs to be taken into account, especially in industries such as perfumery.
    You're correct about taking all the social, cultural, etc... into account for marketing a product. It still pisses me off that noses are noses.

    I was a sales rep for an extremely pricy high end stereo company. The Asians wanted something different than Americans. We designed equipment for that market. That also pisses me off that ears aren't ears.

    So Trebor - when you're right, you're right.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I beg to differ with your description of Deep Roses. After sampling as many of the Montale rose fragrances as I could possibly find, none is as gorgeous, on me, as this beauty. It is my first FB of a Montale and I pray they never discontinue it! It is one of the most beautifully formulated roses I've found in any line. Thankfully it also has great sillage and lasts, even a few days, on fabric.

    Anyone looking for a true intensely rosy rose, should give this gem a try

  29. #29

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    you obviously havent tried montales highness rose! the absolute best montale rose made end of story!

    its not like the rose in black oud , deep rose, attar. and every other montale fragrance....it is real rose oil from the rose of may. smells like a real arabian/turkish rose rose oil....after you smell the real rose oil in highness rose...theres no going back to that weird deep rose/black oud rose note.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

  30. #30

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    you obviously havent tried montales highness rose! the absolute best montale rose made end of story!

    its not like the rose in black oud , deep rose, attar. and every other montale fragrance....it is real rose oil from the rose of may. smells like a real arabian/turkish rose rose oil....after you smell the real rose oil in highness rose...theres no going back to that weird deep rose/black oud rose note.
    Absolutely! Who the hell needs Deep Roses when there's Highness Rose.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    there is really no comparison between the 2!!! except maybe the highness rose is $900 per 100ml and the deep rose is like 150 lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

  32. #32
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    About Red Aoud, sample first. It's a love or hate thing too. I love it, but many of my fellow basenoters do not agree with me. The best way to enjoy Red Aoud is to wear it to bed. Don't get a 50ml bottle. Get like a 5-10ml decant. It will last a long time and you'll save some money.
    Amen. This is my experience with RA also.

  33. #33
    jzzbassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Albany, MS
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    I'm really digging on the Wild Aoud.....I'm newer to this than you guys, but I've never encountered a scent like this that is at the same time close to the skin while lasting an insane amount of time......like a full 24 hours amount of time.

    It might not be as aoud forward as some of the rest, but it is nonetheless just perfection to me. I can't even describe how much I like it after two wearings but I know I can't stop sniffing the application points.

    Then again, I'm the rare chap who likes Tom Ford by Tom Ford so take it for what it's worth
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

    Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

  34. #34

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    IMO, Wild Aoud is the better of the two.

  35. #35
    jzzbassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Albany, MS
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Montale Wild Aoud and Deep Roses - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    I'm really digging on the Wild Aoud.....I'm newer to this than you guys, but I've never encountered a scent like this that is at the same time close to the skin while lasting an insane amount of time......like a full 24 hours amount of time.

    It might not be as aoud forward as some of the rest, but it is nonetheless just perfection to me. I can't even describe how much I like it after two wearings but I know I can't stop sniffing the application points.

    Then again, I'm the rare chap who likes Tom Ford by Tom Ford so take it for what it's worth
    After several wearings, this remains my top scent.

    It is deceptive in that it does start out tame, but don't be fooled by the initial impression.....as said here Tame Aoud, no aoud, etc.

    Much like Black Aoud, its power increases after a good half of the day is over. The wood/ cedar notes stay powerful, but the aoud shows back up to add a great sweetness. I originally thought it was close to the skin, but it does project a lot more than I thought. It never fails to get compliments, usually when walking past someone.

    Maybe "Wild" stands for Wild Card; it is that for me. The notes of bergamot and tobacco listed are non-existent to my nose, and the patchouli listed is much more refined and less dirty than I'm used to.

    To each his own, but I'm more convinced now that it is a fantastic scent.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

    Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Similar Threads

  1. Montale Reviews
    By purplebird7 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 24th November 2009, 05:34 PM
  2. Montale Original Aoud / Bois De Aoud: Initial Impressions
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th September 2008, 07:53 AM
  3. Which Montale Aoud next?
    By aljinnie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 7th March 2008, 01:42 PM
  4. mega-compilation of mini-reviews
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 17th January 2008, 08:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •