Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Bench testing Jardins de Bagatelle.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain. Initial verbage with a spritz test on the forearm: Wow! Powerful! beautiful! amazing gardenia. Not too sweet but, you definately need only one spritz of this fragrance. The bottle I got, 60 ml. EDT, is circa 1980 vintage lot 4L02, gold zig zag box with unusual almond color as opposed to black. Faithfulness to gardenia is outstanding. Just put it on so, cannot relate later development yet. Past the "ummmmm" test as soon as it hit the skin. This is the most powerful EDT fragrance I have ever tried (a good thing). Extrait would be hard to imagine. Anyone else try this one?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 26th May 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Default Re: Bench testing Jardins de Bagatelle.

When I tried it I felt like I was smelling someone who hasn't left the inside of a Neiman Marcus for 20 years.

A man's taste for Jardins de Bagatelle is definitely acquired - it's Guerlain of the 80s, brisk, metallic but on a wonderfully dry woody base. Its lively and iridescent, almost shrill effect was a role model at the time, but today, Jardins de Bagatelle is one of Guerlain's least talked about perfumes, sometimes described as too straightforward and lacking the complex, subtle style that characterizes most Guerlains. According to Guerlain, this straightforwardness is deliberate, the inspiration being a bagatelle, a short and light-hearted piece of piano music.

Today, I'm wearing Habit Rouge Légère, and to me it's just a manly Jardins de Bagatelle, equally metallic and brisk. I've come to often crave that uplifting, biting scent of Jardins de Bagatelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    A man's taste for Jardins de Bagatelle is definitely acquired - it's Guerlain of the 80s, brisk, metallic but on a wonderfully dry woody base. Its lively and iridescent, almost shrill effect was a role model at the time, but today, Jardins de Bagatelle is one of Guerlain's least talked about perfumes, sometimes described as too straightforward and lacking the complex, subtle style that characterizes most Guerlains. According to Guerlain, this straightforwardness is deliberate, the inspiration being a bagatelle, a short and light-hearted piece of piano music.
    I mainly agree with your description of the fragrance, M Guerlain but I wonder if the association with piano music could really be from the authors. Bagatelles are a known form of shorter piano pieces, correct. Beethoven wrote some real gems of this genre. None is like the other, but one is certainly direct to the ear as is the perfume is to the nose. Both pieces of art make you rich and craving for more. A beautiful strory, and yet I have to doubt whether it's true. Bagatelle, or Bagatelles would have been perfect names. So, why Jardins de... ? To this day I believed in another story saying that the fragrance of flower beds in the Parc de Bagatelle were captured in that perfume by Guerlain. As this older version cannot be denied 100% logic, and as that park is also located in Paris, I am inclined to believe that this version is the fully plausible and authentic one.

I love Jardins de Bagatelle as the one living witness of the house's many attempts to lure their feminine customers away from traditional paths. We know they failed where others were successful (Puig with Fracas and Bandit, for example). I feel not urged to wear everything I bought. I can also enjoy sniffs only. For anyone interested, PTG sums this dry floral up as '...the very best of a lousy lot!' ( p.209)
    Last edited by narcus; 27th May 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    A beautiful strory, and yet I have to doubt whether it's true because to this day I believed in another story saying that the fragrance of flower beds in the Parc de Bagatelles were captured in that perfume Guerlain. As this older version cannot be denied a certain logic, and as that park is also located in Paris, I am inclined to believe that this version is more plausible and authentic
    Well, www.guerlain.com tells both stories: the music one and the park one, sort of mixing the two inspirations into one picture. Anyway, it's just marketing, but the piano bagatelle image makes sense when sniffing this uplifting, straightforward little scent.