Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Olfactory Cryogenics

Ok, I have read just about every bit of information out there on refrigerative archival of fragrances and found most to be opinion and conjecture. The only thing I have found to be established procedure is 53 degrees F. for most frags. and 39.5 degrees F for citrus scents. These are ideal temperatures. Since most of us do not have the kind of refrigeration needed to make a constant temporature here is my question: For most fragrances 53 degrees is nominal so, what variation in temperature is safe. For example, I have a dedicated regrigerator that varies from 44 degrees F. to 53 degrees F. This seems the best I can do with the regulation. Is this variation in temperature safe? Chemists, please chime in here please.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Olfactory Cryogenics

Are there any chemists/experts in the house regarding fragrance cryogenics?

Default Re: Olfactory Cryogenics

Small fluctuations in temperature, especially at the temps that you describe are going to have almost no affect on the lifespan of the perfume. Even very reactive and/or unstable chemicals (way more reactive than anything contained in perfume) stored at these temperatures will keep for many years with little degradation.

Personally, if I were to start keeping an archive of fragrances (which I won't) I would be more concerned about limiting the amount of oxygen in the environment that the 'fumes are kept.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

So basically you are asking if its best to keep your frags in the fridge ? I was thinking the same myself with the summer months coming up .....

Blog Entries

I just moved most of mine to the fridge a few weeks ago. Average temp is 39 degrees. I'm observing no problems, other than having to let them warm up slowly before use. The choice was between 80 degrees in my bedroom, or 39 in the basement fridge. I figured it was pretty clear that cooler than normal room temperature was better than hotter than room temperature.

I know it's just opinion, because we've never done the experiments. Still, I would say that it's opinion in the same sense as evolution is opinion. Almost the entirety of practical chemistry is built on the fact that hot(ter) things react and cold(er) things don't. A refrigerator varying up and down by 20 degrees is going to be far better at helping something stand up to decomposition than a much smaller variation around room temperature. Variations (per se) in temperature may stress things mechanically, but not chemically. It is the actual temperature (per se) at any moment that affects chemistry.