Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow The fragrance that suits you most and specific anosmia

Is the fragrance that suits you most (according to yourself or others' opinions) also the one that you cannot smell on yourself when you spray it on your skin?

I would love to hear people's experience with this. I personally find that this unproven "fact" (frequently used as a sales tactic by SA's) kind of holds true.

Edit: To clarify, I mean the type of fragrance you spray on paper or clothes and you can smell it, but then when you put it on your skin you become "anosmic" to it, while others still smell it and enjoy it, etc.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 10th July 2009 at 04:34 AM.

Default Re: The fragrance that suits you most and anosmia

Not at all. I think the problem (if you have a large rotation, as I do) is that your "mind's nose" has a certain range, so if you come back to a frag after a certain period of time (like a month) you may find that it's either too strong or too weak, depending upon the other frags you've been wearing. So, for me at this point, I'm trying to get my rotation set so that I can appreciate all the frags. I don't know if this is possible, but it's certainly interesting to explore this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

very strange... I find myself sometimes so depressed that those around me cannot enjoy what I can definately smell myself, and at the opposite end of the spectrum sometimes the most compliments are given to a fragrance I can barely detect even immediately after spraying
    At your service

I hardly smell anything from ck be.

Only with one frag, Chanel Gardenia. Somehow I can't smell it and others can. Hmmm...go figure
    Last edited by scent; 26th May 2009 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I might step back and ask a different question: What does "suit" mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a thing such as selective anosmia?
    The only fragrance I cannot ever smell on paper,or on air, or on myself,even after numerous samplings is Escada's Magnetism.Are those bottles filled with odourless fluid?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Is there a thing such as selective anosmia?
    The only fragrance I cannot ever smell on paper,or on air, or on myself,even after numerous samplings is Escada's Magnetism.Are those bottles filled with odourless fluid?
    Oh, wow. That's odd. I get loads more compliments from it than from other frags. I smell it on me all day.

I don't see any correlation between anosmia and favorite frags. Maybe nothing suits me...
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

In a word: no. I apply frags fairly conservatively and have never had trouble smelling any of them throughout the day (except those citrusy frags that last only a couple of hours).
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Is the fragrance that suits you most (according to yourself or others' opinions) also the one that you cannot smell on yourself during the day?

I would love to hear people's experience with this. I personally find that this unproven "fact" (frequently used as a sales tactic by SA's) kind of holds true.
    Well, anosmia is different than olfactory fatigue. And no, your hypothesis does not hold for me. I think it is just a sad coincidence for you.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely have that anosmic problem with just about all of my fragrances. I find that after wearing just about any fragrance after 3 or 4 days in a row, my nose and brain get so used to it that I can't smell it on myself after about 30 minutes. This is why I have to rotate fragrances every couple of days, just so I can smell them on myself. The only fragrances that I can continue to smell on me day after day are Arpege Pour Homme, Kouros and Green Irish Tweed.

Post Thanks / Like

Le no. 3/Caron suits me best, I think. And I can definitely smell it on myself, as can others.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Well, anosmia is different than olfactory fatigue. And no, your hypothesis does not hold for me. I think it is just a sad coincidence for you.
    precisely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I appreciate the pointers, but by anosmia, I meant anosmia (perhaps to be more clear I should say "specific anosmia.") If I would have meant olfactory fatigue, I would have said "olfactory fatigue."

What I am asking is whether fellow BN'ers are partially (ie. specifically) or fully anosmic to the fragrances that suit their personality, style, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I appreciate the pointers, but by anosmia, I meant anosmia (perhaps to be more clear I should say "specific anosmia.") If I would have meant olfactory fatigue, I would have said "olfactory fatigue."

What I am asking is whether fellow BN'ers are partially (ie. specifically) or fully anosmic to the fragrances that suit their personality, style, etc.
    Well, I was not trying to correct you. It is just that it was not clear to me how can you be anosmic to something, and yet, be aware that it suits you. The only scenario I could think about was olfactory fatigue.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    In a word: no. I apply frags fairly conservatively and have never had trouble smelling any of them throughout the day (except those citrusy frags that last only a couple of hours).
    Same here.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather