Code of Conduct

Thread: Grape notes?

Default Grape notes?

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the Basenotes community but have been lurking for a few weeks. I finally decided to step on out

As I was in my parents' backyard yesterday, I noticed an abundance of wild grape vines growing on one of their trees. The smell was awesome - slightly flowery (almost lilac) and grapey. I've been trying to find a perfume with "grape" as a note but keep coming up with "grapeFRUIT"... do any of you oh-so-knowledgeable ladies have any suggestions? I don't want to smell like grape Kool-Aid but those vines just called "summer" to me!
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Default Re: Grape notes?

I really like Oyedo, by Diptyque. It has a spectacular concord grape smell, but it is mixed with a lime-like note. Strange but beautiful. Worth a sample if nothing else. Probably not what you're looking for if you want a grape soliflore, but very addictive!
    Big welcome to you !
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Welcome from me also!

Olivier Durbano's Amethyste has a lovely grape accord that lends some plump "purpleness" to the scent.

I know exactly what you are looking for: Crabtree & Evelyn Sonoma Valley, with flowers and grapes mixed nicely together, smelling refreshing and summery at the same time. Good luck on finding it, it has been on my WishList for over two years now.

Another scent to try might be Ginestet Sauvignonne -- less flowers and more grapes with citrucy undertones (their other scents are also wine-making-themed, BTW).

And, finally, although not a pure and light scent by any standard, may I suggest Paloma Picasso Tentations? It is a typical Sophia Grojssman floral bouquet -- unlike the previous two I have mentioned -- if it were a painting it would be dense tempera, not watercolors.

Basenotes Institution

Gaultier2 by Jean Paul Gaultier
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You may wish to try Fresh Citron de Vigne. I got a sample of this at Sephora and my husband and I both like it.

Chandler Burr on this scent:

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...igne-by-fresh/

I don't know if it's sold where you live but Tauleto is a wonderful grape fragrance, based on the notes of the italian wine Sangiovese

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Big, juicy welcome, inscentiable! And brava on the great grape question.

I've not found a frag yet that says grape to me precisely as I would like, but I'll pour in some quasi-related ideas.

The wine-inspired frags are: Frapin 1270, Ginestet Le Boise, and Cielo. I've read that some folks find grapey vibes in Alien, Poison, Stella, YSL In Love Again, and some Escada frags. In the realm of dark and fruity, the purple-colored Yves Rocher Iris Noir brings me a lot of satisfaction.

Cassis might provide some what you're hankering for, so you may want to watch for that note.

On my yet-to-sniff list:

The newly released Acqua Colonia Royal Riesling -- “This cheerful fragrance is a tribute to the Riesling grape. It is the queen of white wine grapes and is considered to be the most precious type on the world. It is said to have euphoriant effects.”

Demeter Dregs -- "a full and pleasing aspect of the bouquet of a fine red wine. It is that aspect of the bouquet represented in Demeter’s Dregs."
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm happy to be here.

Luckyscent had a couple of these, so I ordered them as I continue my sample-buying binge...it's all for educational purposes, of course. I can't wait to try them! The ones that Luckyscent doesn't have, I'll probably order in a couple of weeks from other decanters.

Modern Atelier also has a scent that's called "The Vine That Ate the South" that's quite grapey and they sale 1 oz for $20. It's described on their website as "smelling like grape soda" but other reviews I've read don't go quite that extreme.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I get a huge welch's grape juice/soda note in the first 10-15 minutes of Ineke Field Notes from Paris.