Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Silicone primer for make-up?

I'm running out of my usual Bare Minerals make-up and decided to do some research to see if there was anything newer, better, cheaper, etc., that I should learn about. After spending much of the evening at MUA (a busy place! but not easy to sift thru, imo), I've decided to order samples of Everyday Minerals (they're free!). After reading the color-help faq, I can't decide if I have skin like Evangeline Lily, or just wish I looked like Evangeline Lily.

Anyway, while researching, I found much mention of silicone primers. One applies these over a moisturizer and under your choice of make-up. Smashbox, Laura Mercier, and, well, just about everyone makes one nowadays. I'm actually thinking of giving Monistat Soothing Care Anti-Chafing gel a try. No, it's not made for THAT! It's for areas that may rub together or chaff on some people, like inner thighs or jogger's nipple. It contains dimethicone and is supposed to be nearly the same as those fancy brand silicone primers.

So is "primer" all it's hyped up to be? Does it really help minimize fine lines and keep make-up looking fresher, longer? Or is this just the latest marketing gimmick to separate me from my hard-earned pennies in the name of vanity?

btw, Nukapai~ If you're reading this I want to say that I just looked at your minerals thread, but am realizing I've never given much deep thought to the product or what it means to me. I used to use Clinique, EL, and had even tried Almay liquid foundations for my sensitive, combination skin. I tried to be diligent about cleaning my face every evening and caring for my skin, but I still suffered from dryness and breakouts from my dermatitis (which was a big problem for me when I lived in Florida, but not so much in California, unless I got lazy and slept in make-up, or wore it every day). Mineral make-up allows me to wear make-up daily and is even forgiving if I come home after a late night and hit the sheets without washing my face first (rare, but it's happens ). I don't know if I agree that it's all marketing and hype. I've been using BE for about five years and it's been great-- nonirritating and looks fabulous (once I figured out not to over-apply). I don't know if I think it's "all-natural" (I'm dubious, but that's my normal position on most things). I just know it works for me!

addendum: I think I'll repost this paragraph to the other thread. Now I definitely I feel like I should've chimed in there.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 29th May 2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added addendum
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Silicone primer for make-up?

Hi there!
    I have been using Bare Minerals for the last 2.5 years and wouldn't use anything else. I know that it's expensive but it does last a long time, 9gr size usually lasts me wellpast a year.
    As to primer, I think it's indispensible! up 'til now, I've been using Models Prefer until it changed to "ybf",changed the packaging and now is unusable due to said packaging.The product is still as good but the packaging breaks easily. As a second choice I am going for the Smashbox Primer (not the one with demaxyl) as it has a lot of good reviews on the QVC website!
    I also buy from Qvc as it gives a splendid 30 day money back guarantee which can't be faulted. Try having a look at the QVC USA website and I'm sure your questions will be answered.
    ahope this helps.
    Good luck, Gav x
    Bear only perfumes and the scent of healing herbs to just men's fields.
    Thoreau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your input Gav x! I'm definitely going to buy the Monistat silicone gel, and try to get some samples of Smashbox and Laura Mercier and compare. I'm not keen on adding another process to my daily makeup routine since I currently have things down to a "five minute face." Literally-- you could time me! I also have the bad habit of applying makeup in my car, often in the parking lot at work. But for nights out I'd be willing to go a step further if the results look that much better.

The Everyday Minerals samples are on their way (I actually paid $3.28 shipping for three face/foundation samples, one blush/bronzer, and one concealer). I still have a little BM, so I'll compare. My husband said the same thing you did about the cost-- it takes me so long to go thru a container (also about a year) that I shouldn't worry about it. But I've read EM's color matching is truer, so we'll see.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 29th May 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

A company called DHC makes a primer called Velvet Skin Coat (about 20 usd), and I believe that silicon is an ingredient. I tried some samples of it, and I loved the feel and finish of it. I would buy it if I could afford it. I didn't try it with makeup, but DHC Velvet Skin Coat smooths and mattifies like nothing I've seen before. It made my skin look amazing even without makeup.

Post Thanks / Like

I will second the DHC Velvet Skin Coat. I don't normally wear primer, but that one is nice. My mom used to use Laura Mercier, but I got her hooked on the DHC and she's gone through at least 3 tubes so far. I use the Physician's Formula mineral wear loose powder and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Using primer under foundation has been a revelation to me. I've been using MAC's Prep + Prime Face Protection Visage SPF 50/FPS 50 (looking at the box here to get the name right) for the past year and a half or so. I don't wear makeup everyday, but a 30 ml/1 oz. tube lasts a long time as you only need a tiny bit - it's very spreadable but doesn't feel greasy. It makes a perfectly smooth surface of my skin and my makeup looks flawless now because I use less and it glides on so much more easily. This is with liquid or cream, but I also use mineral or powder at times, weather depending. The MAC works under any of them. And my skin doesn't break out from it. I also tried Prescriptives' primer but I didn't like it as well as I do MAC's. The Prescriptives was so thin that my skin just soaked it up and it disappeared.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd June 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So how is the experimenting going?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Slow! I just don't wear makeup very often. I did use the Monistat primer with the last of my Bare Minerals last week, and I was really happy with the results. The powder makeup definitely seemed to go on smoother and didn't settle into the fine lines around my eyes.

I have my samples of Everyday Minerals, and there appears to be enough in each mini-jar for several wearings. I also picked up a sample of Smashbox primer with sunscreen at Sephora, so I can do a side-by-side comparison between the two primers while I'm figuring out which EM color best matches my skin.

Now all I need is a good excuse to put some makeup on! (I ran out of time before our party last weekend, which is why you saw me barefaced, Kess. Heck, I was finishing my toenail polish about 15 minutes before guests started arriving!)

While I was at Sephora, I also tried the Laura Mercier, and I think also the Philosophy or maybe it was Laura Geller, or maybe both (it's easy to get overwhelmed there!). The LM especially was thinner, wetter, and seemed to take longer to dry on the back of my hand. I prefer the thicker, more powdery quality of the Smashbox. The Monistat is very, very much like the Smashbox. It is perhaps not quite as thick, but definitely has the same dry, smooth, powdery quality as the Smashbox. And it was about $8 for a 1.5 oz tube, rather than $17 for a .5 oz tube of the Smashbox with sunscreen. Although, I know-- if I wear makeup once every other blue moon, does the cost really matter? Well, yeah. I should wear makeup a little more often (like when two dozen of my friends show up at our house!).
    Last edited by Heartwood; 10th June 2009 at 06:49 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous