Code of Conduct

Default Hi everyone....new here

Well, it has been quite a time "trying" to make this post. First I couldn't find the " new post" button. That must have taken AT LEAST a half hour. I read many FAQs. But alas, I found it and was home free..... or so I thought. I got ready to hit post and it said I wasn't logged in. Then my battery died as I was trying to log in. So I thought my post was gone forever. New computer, so I don't know it well AT ALL. I finally get straightened out and hit "send" and it tells me to "reload that page since it timeout somehow. I have NO clue on that one. Not "my" fault. I hit reload excitedly and glad it is almost over and what do I see come up? NOTHING, NOTHING at all!!!!!! EEEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!

So, I am new and am glad to be here. I have been reading at the other part of the site for a long time. The reviews mostly and such. Today was my first time on the boards and really liked them. You all seem so very nice too to one another. That is really nice to see and get a "feel" for. Much passion. I am fairly shy TBH and a "bit" withdrawn I guess you could say. This feels like a good fit for me though.

On to my first question...

Could you all please explain to me why you love "Niche" perfumes so much? And why they are so very special? I did learn you can't get them at the dept stores. The SA's looked at me as though I spoke a foreign language.

My favorite was the snobby one who judged me by my T-shirt and jeans....she was extremely rude and snotty...she lost an expensive purchase from us that day. But when I threw these names at her she just melted and looked intimidated then. Or maybe ashamed? Who knows. I just know her haughtiness left the house.

Please don't get me wrong. I will not mistreat anyone like that...EVER. Except in 1st grade...and I learned my lesson when the teacher made me play "house" with this one boy. It liked to have killed me.lol Hopefully that SA learned something too. I was genuinely wanting to test perfumes..not spar with her. That has just been my first "public" experince with Niche perfume.

Default Re: Hi everyone....new here

Quote Originally Posted by savannahsmiles View Post
    Could you all please explain to me why you love "Niche" perfumes so much? And why they are so very special? I did learn you can't get them at the dept stores. The SA's looked at me as though I spoke a foreign language.
    Heh. Welcome to Basenotes

For me, it's partially psychological - I don't want to smell like the herd. I am a unique little snowflake, afterall Actually, there are a fair number of places where you can get niche perfumes, especially if you live in LA, NYC, Paris, or London - Neimann, Saks, Barney's, even Sephora will have some niche scents. The "nichiest" store in the US has to be The Scent Bar in Los Angeles. You can feel the tug on your wallet a block away. Niche doesn't always mean better, just rarer and most of the time costlier.
    Last edited by adonis; 28th May 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Welcome If you want to experience "niche" scents, I suggest Lucky Scents or The Perfumed Court. Some you won't even find at the high end department stores.
    Some websites that are mostly niche you might want to visit, sometimes they give free samples.

Serge Lutens
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Czech & Speake
    Histories de Parfums
    Ormonde Jayne
    Le Labo
    Frederick Malle
    Montale
    The Different Company
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Bond #9
    Miller Harris
    Creed
    Domenico Caraceni
    Penhaligon
    L'Occitane

I like mainstream, designer, and niche alike. Some say that the "niche fragrances" are superior to the others because of their exclusivity and ingredients used, but that's subjective

Enjoy yourself.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Thank you....I had never heard of "Niche" perfume till about a couple yrs ago. I just knew people could make their own. Which is a dream of mine to have. Imagine how excited I was to know there were a couple sites, that I know of, that will create a perfume for you at a very reasonable price. I am thinking the guys in Germany would be perfect for that too.

Adonis,
    I understand not liking to smell like everyone else too. I have only ever bought one perfume when everyone was buying it.I am just slower about anything new coming out. I don't do fads, just never have been into that on anything.

Perfume is my "me" thing. I don't like sharing my scent with another person. ESPECIALLY close friends. I wore Liz Claiborne for 12 yrs or more exclusively. My sig. My "mom" smell to my children. There is nothing in this world more special than having your children tell you that you smell pretty.
    Then had a friend start wearing it a few yrs ago. I know it sounds terrible and selfish but it bothered me alot and I stopped wearing it. I put it on every so often still. never tire of it. And the compliments.WOW

Silverbullet, I think mostly I am just curious about what it is all about. There are alot of really beautiful mainstream scents out there. I was thinking that these others must really be better than just beautiful. The ultimate experience in scent. DEFINATELY costlier. Not sure I could justify that kind of spending except to just save up for it honestly. Which I already do now when I get ready to purchse. Adds to my excitement and anticipation to have it in my hands finally.

thank you for all those designers...I will check them for samples for sure.

Nice meeting you also BTW

Thank you....I had never heard of "Niche" perfume till about a couple yrs ago. I just knew people could make their own. Which is a dream of mine to have..
    Well Basenotes has a great Fragrance Do It Yourself Forum for the brave and creative souls who make their own fragrances http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15

PS
    Welcome to Basenotes savannahsmiles
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 28th May 2009 at 04:26 AM.
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

I just wanted to add my welcome, savannahsmiles!

Blog Entries

Hello savannahsmiles and welcome to Basenotes! Sorry you had such a rough start, but I'm glad you persevered.

Could you all please explain to me why you love "Niche" perfumes so much? And why they are so very special?
    They're not all so very special, really. Some are loved, some are okay, and some are downright disliked. And which are what depends on who you ask. Niche fragrances largely differ from designer in that they are created by an individual perfumer (or "nose") following his/her own artistic "vision" (for lack of a better term). At least that's my opinion. Designer scents often follow trends and are created to make profit, hopefully lots of it, and sometimes at the expense of quality ingredients. There are exceptions, of course. There are exceptional designer scents, but which ones again depend on who you ask. That's the thing-- it's all subjective. There have been threads dedicated to wondering which designer scents are "good enough" to be niche (I added the quotation marks). This thread was on the men's board and references many men's fragrances, but much of the discussion is thought provoking. Sometimes the line gets blurry as to which houses are considered niche and which are designer (Hermès, for example).

I think another point is the fact that many niche houses do not market their fragrances solely to men or women. They often don't create a scent with the wearer's gender in mind; again, the aim is to realize the perfumer's "vision." This is what makes their fragrances "different." There aren't a glut of fruity-floral niche scents out there. Besides being unisex, I think there's also an aspect that niche scents tend often to focus on one or two notes, like lily or incense or amber. When fragrances lovers get to this level of appreciation, they begin to pick out and understand which notes are drawing them toward a particular scent. Then it becomes fun to explore fragrances that are built around that particular note. The niche houses most often offer that opportunity, and do so with high-quality ingredients.

I dunno, these are just my thoughts. It's a good question, and I appreciate that you asked it because I've enjoyed musing on an answer.

As a final word, I want to emphasize that there are many "very special" designer scents out there too. A niche scent isn't necessarily better than a designer by any means. It just comes down to what you like.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 28th May 2009 at 07:33 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Final word, yeah right. Since when do I ever have a final word about a subject? I could discuss a grocery list for hours on end.

I also want to say that when you consider how pricey many designer scents frequently are (I paid $100 for 100 ml of Narciso Rodriguez for Her when it came out), niches like L'Artisan, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Penhaligon's, and Diptyque are not that much more expensive. And L'Occitane is an outright bargain!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 28th May 2009 at 07:23 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Welcome, savannahsmiles!

If you want to try some niche samples, there are threads where this is discussed-- one in particular is this one:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=216303

There is also the option of buying decants, if you are so inclined, to stretch the dollars while wearing a wider variety of fragrances.

I wear whatever I like, be it niche or not. My newest full bottle came from Victoria's Secret (Lace Orange Flower) And today I'm wearing that oldie goldie, Paris. But I notice it has become rare for me to fall in love with a fragrance sold at department stores. I do try them-- I'm always curious-- but most of the time they just don't do anything for me. There is a dreary sameness to them.

Savannah, Big Howdies to you!

:wave:

I really can't add much to what's been said already. Some Niches are legendary (Lutens, PDN, MDCI, Tauer, e.g.), others are sometimes expensive crappola. Only way to tell is to sample like hell. Luckyscent's already been mentioned multple times, and I think, the best to find them. Looking forward to your reviews on what you try!
    Last edited by Lessa; 28th May 2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Welcome! I am still a newbie. Everyone on the site is helpful with great advice to add.

I would advise you to jump in and participate and learn.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Hi, Savannahsmiles, I got a smile from your SA story. We all have similar experiences. I once asked for something pretty mainstream, I don't remember maybe it was Hermes. The SA had obviously never heard of it and was embarrassed so she looked down her nose and hissed at me, "We don't have that here." Like it was rat poison or something. Great way to make your customer feel welcome. Remember, it's not you, it's definitely them. They have a huge inventory of inferior product and they are pretty put out by the ingenuity of consumers who have begun to sample before they buy instead of wasting money on some of that stuff. I think the biggest problem with the way fragrance is sold in stores is the testing. A good scent morphs over time, at least 1/2 hour. You can't judge a scent in 30 seconds. And you should put it on skin, because it won't smell like much of anything on paper.

I apologize for not answering each of you one by one. I would be typing ALL day long.lol

Thank you all for the nice welcomes. Secondly, for taking the time to answer my questions. It really helped me alot to understand now. Mostly what I got is that it boils down to personal preference. I look forward to reading all the links.

I am pretty good at picking out notes as long as I get a description first usually. As far as buying perfumes. I don't normally buy to many because of the fact that I can't sample. And I absolutely despise those little papers. Though, they are nice to collect a few sometimes so that you can keep smelling them after you leave the store.

Another thing I finally stopped doing was just sniffing a bottle as I walk buy. My recent purchase purchase was Juicy Couture EDP. 2 yrs ago I did not get what was so great about it. It STINKS at just sniffing the bottle. To me, smells nothing at all like on the skin. It definately only takes a little......though I keep spraying myself through the day. BAD i know.lolol Has anyone else ever done that?

Could you all give me a few suggestions on Niche. I will post some of my perfumes for you to know what I like......

Miss Dior EDP
    Miss Dior Cherie EDP
    Lightblue EDT (this was a gift from my mother in the winter. I didn't care for it at all and had to lie.Since it became warm outside I LOVE it. Cherie is not at all for winter ever. At least not on me. I was really depressed over that one because i LOVE her. I was soooooo happy that when it got warm out she perked right up. I mix her and juicy together sometimes. I think because it gives me more patchouly in the Juicy. Not as sweet, more fresh. I did it with the Light Blue too and I had a whole new perfume. Now that was super nice. I was impressed with myself.lol

I have Dune also.......I think I am a Dior woman totally. Very drawn to their scents. Is there a reason for this? Im not picking them for the name.....Dune was a gift. I had to grow into her though. My nose has changed, this I know. I used to abhor patchouly till the Cherie. Now...at least in small doses I love it. Not sure about any stronger though. Will have to try.

L'Air Du Temps....my first "grown-up" perfume at 23 from my aunt and uncle.
    Deserade
    Organza
    L'Arte
    And several Victory Secrets.
    Body my favorite....though got burnt out a bit on it

L Lamb
    Jlo
    Lady Stetson.....it doesn't smell at all cheap on me. I have been told that many times. That one reminds me of when I lived at the beach for a long time.

And more lol

I like violet, jasmine and orange blossom. I am also a musk girl.

I am girly but there are also mens scents i really like BETTER than the womens. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my DHs Japur and his Code....I barely dab it on. It is just enough.

My new wish.....Narcissco Rodriguez -For her

Sorry so long.....I was trying to give plenty of stuff to help you guys give a few names

I am open to almost anything though. Thank you in advance.

I
    Last edited by savannahsmiles; 28th May 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Do you see that little icon of a perfume bottle to the right of your username on your post? That is a link to your wardrobe which shows the fragrances you have, used to have, wish you had, etc!

To add fragrances to your wardrobe, locate them in the Fragrance Directory (see link on sidebar on left of page.) Then click to rate the fragrance (1-5 stars) and to edit-- this is how you add it to your wardrobe. Then scroll down to save the settings. To add comments, go to your My Wardrobe page (left sidebar link again) and click on "settings" in the upper right hand of that page, then you can add text.

And you can see others' wardrobes by clicking on their perfume bottle icon.

Thank you 30 Roses.....
    I will get working on that tonight or tom. Will be getting ready to go out to dinner with my son in a little while. Mexican Food! LOVE IT.

I was wondering last night how to do that but after my posting fiasco I didn't feel like trying anything new after that.lol I am positive since I have had help, that getting my stuff listed will go much more smoothly.

Welcome*

Niche fragrances ... They're better experienced than explained so....

try 'em!
    Last edited by moltening; 29th May 2009 at 08:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi, and another welcome!

Even niche samples through The Perfumed Court or another on-line supplier can get expensive. There are lots of houses and most houses offer many fragrances. I'm moving into that slowly. My first step is to smell as many fragrances as I can at Sephora, Ulta, Lord & Taylor, etc. then to compare my likes and dislikes to the descriptions, ratings & reviews in Perfumes The Guide by Luca Turni and Tania Sanchez. So far I've found out that most of what I like for me is in the Oriental category and most of what I like for my wife is in the Floral category. My longer term goal is not to buy what they recommend but to figure out how to translate what they say into what I will like or dislike. It's like movie reviews. If someone gives a movie 5 stars for the great chases, fights and explosions, you don't go if you don't like chases, fights and explosions.

Have fun!

I definately would start my journey by buying "Perfumes: The Guide" and I would not take the whole thing too seriously. I think niche fragrances have become popular because so many of the big perfume houses have "sold out". They mass market perfume in an objective (monetary), not subjective (passionate) way. And, let's face it, if you are devoted to this website, you are passionate about fragrance. I, too, love the classic Dior perfumes. Diorella & Dune are my favorites. I also love the classic Guerlain fragrances...Mitsouko & Shalimar are my favorites. Can you think of a truly original, classic perfume that has been launched by these large perfume houses in the last 30 years? NO. So, luckily for us all, there are little niche industries that push the boundaries and capture our imaginations. My favorite among the many listed in this forum is Parfums de Nicolai. These are lovely, easy to wear fragrances that won't break (just bend) the bank. And for me, Odalisque is a true original and Sacrebleu is a masterpiece. May you find happiness in your search.

Basenotes Institution

Hi savannahsmiles- welcome ! Another enthusiast on board !

Basenotes has been pivotal nd central re. my perfume education . I was just plain ignorant before and I am learning so much here.

On the whole my heart sinks when I see an SA because they are usually trying to sell me something- normally something I don't want ( which is their job ! ) or following me around like crazy like I'm going to steal the goods . However saying that, I have also met some really well trained SAs who are extremely helpful and I am grateful for those.
    I wish you well on your perfume journeys !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 31st May 2009 at 07:08 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Welcome! I'm a bit new, too, and I can say that the reason I developed an interest in and love of niche perfumes is that so-called "mainstream" fragrances have gotten to be so trend-following, and my taste in scent does not align with the current trend! I don't like heavy "bright" florals, and I really dislike the syrupy sweet scents as well...and it feels like so many of the woody, spicy fragrances are being discontinued for yet another variation of "Angel." The notes I like are still popular with the niche perfumers, so I am more likely to find a frag I enjoy from Montale or Serge Lutens than I am on the shelves of Sephora.

Decants and samples are fun, and a great way to expand your horizons. Try Sephora first if you have one, my local outlet gives fairly large decant samples out for FREE if it's a scent on their shelves. LuckyScent is good (don't forget to find a code for free shipping!) for the brands they carry, and The Perfumed Court is easy to navigate and carries lots of vintage and discontinued stuff that I haven't been able to locate elsewhere.

I love the fragrance directory here, as it's helped me to select which frags I want to try!

Welcome Savannah! I'm fairly new too, but I've been lucky enough to experience a fairly good sampling of niche perfumery (ahh, living in LA) in the past few months. Everyone's tastes will vary, of course, but I personally prefer niche perfumery because there's a higher chance that a niche fragrance will be--- well, unusual, including notes that commercial fragrances do not often include, and that are presented with more interesting narratives. My personal tastes don't run to fruity-florals, musks, or 'clean' smells, so the large part of female- (and male) market fragrances aren't interesting to me.

For example, my absolute favorite is Sienne l'Hiver, a fragrance that's basically dusty stone, incense, and (haha) truffles. I think it's sublime, but hey, even a Britney Spears frag can be sublime to somebody.

Like with fashion, there are luxury brands that break the mold and forward our ideas of fashion, and then there are expensive brands that nobody will admit are great so long as they can feel good about spending their money on it. Same with niche perfumes: some are genuinely inspiring, some are poseur-dom in the bottle. It's up to you to decide where you end up on that commercial-niche sliding scale, but the educational process along the way is definitely worth it.