Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives L' Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque five stars

'...L’Eau de Tarocco’s is a short formula, only 23 raw materials.

What is interesting about the resulting perfume is that it is supposed to be the fourth in Pescheux’s new and increasingly extraordinary Diptyque eaux de colognes collection. (They are becoming as good as Jean-Claude Ellena’s new eaux de cologne collection for Hermès.) The cologne genre — pale, fleeting, one-dimensional, antiquated watercolors of lemon and grapefruit — is uninteresting. With Pescheux and Ellena, we are seeing a fundamental reworking of the category. Tarocco is an astonishingly perfect piece of scent work...'

Read the full review at the NYT The Moment blog here
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Burr gives L' Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque five stars

Wow. I guess I will sniff this one when I visit Dallas in a couple of weeks. I was kind of meh about it after the first impressions came trickling in on the board. The notes sound nice for me...I will give it the old college try anyway.

Basenotes Institution

I agree J_w_s. Reading this, I got itchy to smell and/or eat some tarocco Calabrian oranges. Not sure where one could find some of those.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

All I have to do is see the words Eau de Cologne and I know I'm not interested. Too watered down for me. I don't have the time or patients to carry a jug around with me so I can smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    All I have to do is see the words Eau de Cologne and I know I'm not interested. Too watered down for me. I don't have the time or patients to carry a jug around with me so I can smell good.
    Funny the skin differences...Vettiveru and Mugler Cologne (both colognes) are very longlasting on me. 8 hours or more depending on application. I only apply my fragrances once; in the morning. If they don't get me through a work day before disappearing then you will never see them listed in my wardrobe. The weather in Memphis is more humid than some climates, so I have had good luck with some fragrances that others complain about with respect to longevity.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th May 2009 at 03:47 PM.

[I]'...L’Eau de Tarocco’s The cologne genre — pale, fleeting, one-dimensional, antiquated watercolors of lemon and grapefruit — is uninteresting.
    How sadly self-limiting. He's apparently only ever tried 4711. Also, it should read bergamot and neroli, if anything...
    Last edited by the_good_life; 28th May 2009 at 04:28 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It was a scrubber for me when I tried it, The grapefruit note was the best and that lasted a couple of minutes. After that, it was downhill all the way. On top of that, one of the notes irritated my nasal membranes and gave me the sneezles..LOL.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Cologne genre is uninteresting? Lemon and grapefruit?
    What stupidly innacurate sweeping statements.
    Sorry but that is just poor work. Must do better Chandler.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 28th May 2009 at 05:08 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I find the cologne genre to be exceedingly interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Funny the skin differences...Vettiveru and Mugler Cologne (both colognes) are very longlasting on me. 8 hours or more depending on application. I only apply my fragrances once; in the morning. If they don't get me through a work day before disappearing then you will never see them listed in my wardrobe. The weather in Memphis is more humid than some climates, so I have had good luck with some fragrances that others complain about with respect to longevity.
    I think it's more weather related than skin. Whenever I go back east where there is humidity I'm blown away at longevity and sillage. I live in the high desert of Nevada and it's DRY!!!!!!!!!

Vettiveru doesn't even last 10 minutes here in Nevada.

must try this one loved burr's reveiw it made me wish I lived in a bigger city that had somewhere that carried Dityque Oh well 4 more days til I'm in San Fran and can smell it for myself
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Another good technical review by Burr. BTW, werent the Ellena Hermes colognes just recently released? I havent tried them but from the reviews on the net it seems they are a tad disappointing ..
    -

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone else smelled this one yet? I'm itching to get my hands on a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Has anyone else smelled this one yet? I'm itching to get my hands on a sample.
    I should be getting my samples tomorrow from LS, i am not good at reviews but i will let you know what i think.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I should be getting my samples tomorrow from LS, i am not good at reviews but i will let you know what i think.
    Yea man definitely looking forward to your impressions.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Purchased it in back in May from Bergdorf in New York. A very nice orangy-grafefruit scent with a touch of saffron and cinnamon. For me, worth the $98 price tag.

Having recently developed an appreciation for eau de cologne, and orange notes in particular, I bought this for myself as a birthday gift unsniffed. Its probably my most successful blind purchase - I think its wonderful, and long lasting on me. I reach for it when I know I'll be outdoors on warm days.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Yea man definitely looking forward to your impressions.
    Will do.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Purchased it in back in May from Bergdorf in New York. A very nice orangy-grafefruit scent with a touch of saffron and cinnamon. For me, worth the $98 price tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    Having recently developed an appreciation for eau de cologne, and orange notes in particular, I bought this for myself as a birthday gift unsniffed. Its probably my most successful blind purchase - I think its wonderful, and long lasting on me. I reach for it when I know I'll be outdoors on warm days.
    Thanks.

Is the saffron prominent?

It reads like a Givaudan commercial with a fair share of the usual hommage to Hermes and Elena. Why L'Eau de Tarocco gets five stars and L'Eau des Hesperides three remains the secret of the author. According to him they both transcend the genre. As a potential customer, and lover of Eaux de Cologne in general, I find Kevins review more helpful than Burr's dubious references to musical compositions and painter's techniques: from 'antiquated' water colors to a peaceful Buddha in oil - LOL!
    Last edited by narcus; 12th July 2009 at 05:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It's a nice and clean scent, mix of orange and grapefruit mostly with something creamy that makes it smells like women lotion . It's kinda on the feminine side though. Me personally i would love it as a gift but not bottle worthy.
    Last edited by cmax; 12th July 2009 at 01:16 AM.