Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Calvin Klein CK Free

I have to say that this sounds interesting on paper. Time will tell er.........smell.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/05/28...ew-fragrances/

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Calvin Klein CK Free

Free - as in Fragrance Free? I think it is a strange name....
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th May 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I hope this one is finally a higher class fragrance.
    unico grande amore.

Will the ad campaign song be an updated version of the theme song used by the 90s TV sitcom Party of Five, "Closer to Free"?

I can smell it now... "Everybody wants to be... closer to free!"
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    I hope this one is finally a higher class fragrance.

Ha....Don't hold your breath .
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Ha....Don't hold your breath .
    It's sad, I know.. but I could use a good CK
    unico grande amore.

Is it a CK x Grace Brothers collab

Blog Entries

I'm intrigued...very intrigued, actually.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The notes sound promising. I'll sample this in the shop when it comes up.

I guess there is an Adidas one called "Free...something" ( ?). Whats with the usage of the word "free" ? More BS I guess that people want to believe. Ah well.

I guess we will have to wait and smell.....I won't get excited while I wait, that's for sure.
    Gary

First thing first, the bottle looks really uninspiring and painfully ugly! If any body shows this bottle to me and says that it is a CK knock off, I will believe.
    Last edited by jasonx; 28th May 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    First thing first, the bottle looks really uninspiring and painfully ugly! If any body shows this bottle to me and says that it is a CK knock off, I will believe.
    I actually like the bottle...but the cap's kinda meh. I wonder what the sprayer looks like.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Calvin Klein CK Free. No Calvin Klein's were harmed in the making of this perfume. Guaranteed to be 100% Calvin Klein safe.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

The notes sound interesting (from NST) "absinthe, jack fruit, star anise, juniper berry, buchu, leather, coffee, tobacco leaves, iron wood, oak, patchouli and cedar."
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

By the looks of the bottle, packaging, & some of the notes listed, it appears like they're going for more of an old school approach on this one...

I don't hate Calvin Klein like everyone else does.

I think it'll be decent? Can't say for sure though. Name doesn't do much...impression.

Fruity cedar? Nothing new, IMO.

I don't know if anyone's gonna like the jackfruit note (if you can smell it).

Most people I know what it is HATE the smell of it. I'm personally OK with it (I like the fruit itself)but I won't spray it on my body.
    ***Canada***Jean Paul Gaultier FLEUR DU MALE, 75ml bottle (70ml) for sale***Canada***

There's no more hope any CK new scent.

Yet another hybrid from Calvin like Ck In2U which can now be found in abundance at Marshall's/TJMaxx.

Hey if we are lucky this may even launch in TJMaxx......LOL
    Last edited by scentimus; 29th May 2009 at 05:15 AM.

Ah, my good 'ole friend Juniper Berry.

Here's hoping Coty can finally do CK proud.

From the notes listed, it sounds like it might open up with a "cologny," minty toothpaste accord. Yikes!

Ironwood?

Sounds like some kind of underground dwarven city guarded by mechanized treants!

Anyway, I think I could imagine what this one would smell like.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Ironwood?
    Makes me think of Meryl Streep hugging a bag of ice.

Oh wait...that was "Ironweed."

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Hey if we are lucky this may even launch in TJMaxx......LOL
    Actually, A six month exclusive with TJ Maxx, than it's rolled out to Marshall's and Filenes Basement.

Isn't Lignum Vitae also known as ironwood, and isn't lignum vitae a species of guaiac? If so it might just be a new fancy term for guaiac.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Good lord. Every thread about a new designer scent is the same. Especially the ones that are well-established/popular in department stores. Some may deserve it, but give 'em some slack. Damn.

Next time a niche house announces a new scent, I'll promptly make fun of it using pop culture references and jabbing at its inferiority before I smell it.

I'm very intrigues by these designer scents. They do all smell alike. And at times I just know they just want our money but there's something enticing about being able to smell a new scent at launch. The department stores near me get the new stuff fairly quickly.

I tried this today and almost burst out laughing as I did so. It's like spraying Evian. A barely detectable, predictable "fresh" smell which goes on very, very weak and is practically non-existent half an hour later.

Seriously, who buys dross like this?

I'll give it a try before I make any judgements on this

I sniffed it at David Jones at the weekend. Completely unremarkable. Admittedly it was just a quick spritz at the fragrance counter and all fragrances deserve more attention than that, but nothing jumped out at me. I certainly couldn't discern anything resembling 'jack fruit' or 'ironwood'. That misused word 'generic' springs to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    I sniffed it at David Jones at the weekend. Completely unremarkable. Admittedly it was just a quick spritz at the fragrance counter and all fragrances deserve more attention than that, but nothing jumped out at me. I certainly couldn't discern anything resembling 'jack fruit' or 'ironwood'. That misused word 'generic' springs to mind...
    Yep, it smells approximately like 1500 other fragrances you've ever smelled. Possibly the single most remarkable thing about it is how incredibly UNremarkable it is. It takes generic to a whole new level.

It is pretty bad! The Absinthe note reminds me a tiny little bit of the L'Artisan Absinthe, but just ruined by aquatic fresh notes.

hm that sucks, what is the best ck fragrance then

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    hm that sucks, what is the best ck fragrance then
    IMO, Obsession for Men, Calvin, Eternity for Men are the top 3 fragrances from CK

On topic: I may still try to sample Free, since I did fancy one of their later releases, CKin2U him, but I shan't keep my hopes up.
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th August 2009 at 11:02 PM.

It sounds interesting, but I hope the Jack Fruit isn't prominent, I (and maybe 9 out 10 people I know) always associate the smell of jack fruit to a sweaty, undeodorized underarm. Ugh!
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    I'll give it a try before I make any judgements on this
    the same words to me, notes seems to be more than ok, lets see what is it.

Didn't give it a full wearing but had a quick sniff so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

It is no different to all the recent shower-clean releases (think Hillfiger). The notes pyramid is optimistic IMO. I think of it as another clean, calone overdosed, fruity offering. It's fine if you want a clean work or casual frag, but there are at least another 1500 fragrances that do exactly the same thing.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Didn't give it a full wearing but had a quick sniff so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

It is no different to all the recent shower-clean releases (think Hillfiger). The notes pyramid is optimistic IMO. I think of it as another clean, calone overdosed, fruity offering. It's fine if you want a clean work or casual frag, but there are at least another 1500 fragrances that do exactly the same thing.
    My thoughts exactly. The sort of thing you'd buy a 16 year old cousin / nephew for Christmas. It smells 'nice' but thats about it. Rubbish longevity too, 3 full sprays to one spot and I couldnt detect it 2 hours later.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

The notes actually sound interesting, but the boring name and bottle and the fact that my brain tricked me into thinking all CK is generic crap is not doing favors. I will still try it.

too generic.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

All you guys seem real "jacked up" on Jack Fruit here. ... I on the other hand am almost embarrassed to admit that I know jack about Jack Fruit ??? ...
    So ... who's gonna enlighten me here concerning this unappealing sounding "arm-pitty" fruity Jack then ??? ...
    Is it perhaps also known by some other name that I might be savvy to ??? ... Or is this only mainly found on your side of the shore, or somethin ??? ... Why have I not ever heard of Jack Fruit ??? ... And what the hell does it look and taste like ??? (And now don't you go telling me it looks and tastes like a Jack Fruit !)

Dependent

^ It is a tropical fruit, and very common in SE Asia. The fruit is usually very sweet, with a chewy, and very slightly slimy and crunchy texture. It is also known in many communities to be a "heat-y" fruit (meaning it causes body temp. to rise).

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ^ It is a tropical fruit, and very common in SE Asia. The fruit is usually very sweet, with a chewy, and very slightly slimy and crunchy texture. It is also known in many communities to be a "heat-y" fruit (meaning it causes body temp. to rise).

Thanks for the interesting info Matt!

I didn't smell anything other than the run-of-the-mill fruity accords on CK Free. I'd be interested if you could actually detect this fruit on the fragrance.
    Last edited by jathanas; 26th August 2009 at 03:37 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Thanks for the interesting info Matt!

I didn't smell anything other than the run-of-the-mill fruity accords on CK Free. I'd be interested if you could actually detect this fruit on the fragrance.
    You're most welcome my friend! I would have to sample the frag and get back to you. Though in the natural, Jackfruit isn't one that smells particularly nice to me. I am pretty curious about it

Jackfruit smells very distinct, I don't think there's anything else that smells like it, except for underarm! but that smell however, is somewhat deep behind it's sweet, fruity maybe a bit rubbery smell. I'm curious If I could pick out that smell from this new CK scent, But I'm pretty sure I don't wanna smell anything like jack fruit. lol
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Here in Brazil, we call jack fruit as "jaca". Escada Sentiment pour Homme has a great "jaca" note in its opening.

OMG it's that damned nasty horrid fruit ! We call that stuff a Durian fruit out here. And that stuff stinks to high heaven. So much so that I find it impossible to actually put a piece in my mouth, unless I hold my nose at the same time. (It certainly doesn't taste half as bad as it tastes). But it smells truly nasty !!!

Thanks so much for those pics and info "Matt" ! Much appreciated !!!

I can actually totally see how they might use "Jack's" note to lend the composition a mild "dirty" "counterbalance" undertone, the same way one would use cumin or some other light"animalics". ... Though it seems like they've kept it very light indeed here, if it's that undetectable. ... But I can certainly see it's usefullnes. (I'm surprised I've never seen it used anywhere else before ??? So it can't have been very often used so far. ... Though now that it's around, I'm pretty sure we are bound to see it popping up again, here and there, pretty soon !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 26th August 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ;1599471
    OMG it's that damned nasty horrid fruit ! We call that stuff a Durian fruit out here. And that stuff stinks to high heaven. So much so that I find it impossible to actually put a piece in my mouth, unless I hold my nose at the same time. (It certainly doesn't taste half as bad as it tastes). But it smells truly nasty !!!

Thanks so much for those pics and info "Matt" ! Much appreciated !!!

I can actually totally see how they might use "Jack's" note to lend the composition a mild "dirty" "counterbalance" undertone, the same way one would use cumin or some other light"animalics". ... Though it seems like they've kept it very light indeed here, if it's that undetectable. ... But I can certainly see it's usefullnes. (I'm surprised I've never seen it used anywhere else before ??? So it can't have been very often used so far. ... Though now that it's around, I'm pretty sure we are bound to see it popping up again, here and there, pretty soon !)
    You're welcome Sybarite LOL...BUT, Jackfruit is totally different from Durian. I can see where the confusion is coming from, because they look VERY similar. Most noticeable difference is the creamy, custard-like texture of the Durian fruit, its thorny outer shell, and of course it's legendary pungency
    Now Durian's scent is definitely one I would not appreciate to be duplicated into an accord/note in a fragrance

Last edited by MFJ; 26th August 2009 at 01:21 PM.

I keep reading that "it is just like every other run of the mill aquatic" but and this is a serious question is there one run of the mill aquatic it reminds of more than others. I mean is the a Chanel Allure Sport type or is it an Aqua Di Gio type maybe a Versace Man Eau Fraiche type............or maybe it is Perry Ellis 360 Red you know fresh with a little cinnamon thrown in. What my question is (and this is important to me) is there one fragrance it reminds of more than others?

Sorry completly looked past the part where a previous poster said it smelled like the new Tommy Hillfiger. Is that the only one it reminds people of?

Ooops, Ok, my mistake ! So it's not a Durian (thankfully ! ) ... Though they do look very similar. Maybe they are from the same family or something ??? They certainly look it !

But I am glad to hear that it's not this super-stinky one after all ! ... (Though I am still thinking a Durian note could come in handy for the reasons I mentioned above, in some or other composition !)

Just tried CK Free... it's an odd beast.

Alcohol mostly upfront... then some juniper, then... I don't know. It's rather... boring.

woow,.. if i follow these opinions, i would think is the worst fragance in the market...

I love jackfruit and durian

we call the jackfruit "nangka" here and its usually eaten raw. There is another fruit similar to the jackfruit called the cempedak. Usually not eaten raw instead deep fried with batter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cempedak

described as "taste of the fruit is similar to the related Jackfruit and Breadfruit with a hint of Durian" I won't expect many in the West taking a liking to this.

Edit: Nangka can also be cooked in a curry like sauce. We call this dish "Nangka Masak Lemak". quite good but i prefer it raw.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 28th August 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Tested this fragrance at Dillard's yesterday. Light, clean, refreshing..............smells nice. Will be blasted/hated/criticized here on basenotes. This is a nice clean fragrance. Yes it is a been here done that fragrance but that is what sells so people will sniff it people will like it people will buy it. Nice clean smell would make a great soap or laundry detergent.

Tested it before.. boring scent.. wich allot wood
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post

we call the jackfruit "nangka" here and its usually eaten raw. There is another fruit similar to the jackfruit called the cempedak. Usually not eaten raw instead deep fried with batter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cempedak

described as "taste of the fruit is similar to the related Jackfruit and Breadfruit with a hint of Durian" I won't expect many in the West taking a liking to this.

Edit: Nangka can also be cooked in a curry like sauce. We call this dish "Nangka Masak Lemak". quite good but i prefer it raw.
    heh, whaddya know, we cal that thing nangka too!

I smelled this today and was shocked.....Nothing, hardly nothing to smell. A total waste of my time.....I hate to be the harsh but it's the truth. With the economy in the shape that it's in.....I can't believe that a company would release something this light.
    Gary

Sur la Plage

I tried this at Dillards. I think it is quite modern. But I use that word the way Luca Turin does (modern = industry speak for "dull").
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wonder if any scents have durian note/accord. The true representation should have monstrous sillage.

Here only unripe nangka is used in cooking.