Code of Conduct

Default Do any men here wear Mre et Musc or Mre et Musc Extrme

Got this recently, and whereas on the one hand it just makes me think of Barbies, bubblegum and Blackberry sodas, I keep trying it on again and again. I read the basenotes reviews and several men said they loved it, and one guy got all these compliments at a wedding, but I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts. Can't decide whether this one suits me at all, or if I can get away with this one in public. I generally wear flamboyant orientals. I feel like this is for a ten year old girl, but still, there's something about it.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougre Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Default Re: Do any men here wear Mre et Musc or Mre et Musc Extrme

I totally agree with your description! It does kind of smell like barbie dolls-- though it's more like those "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls that girls used to play with. They had one that smelled like blackberries. I do recall as a kid I used to hang around the girls sometimes at recess just because I was addicted to sniffing those damned dolls!

I have some Mure et Musc and I like it. I don't reach for it all that often, but it doesn't seem too feminine to me. I do prefer the Extreme though. It seems even sweeter and fruitier, but again is quite unisex.

No, by no means. Too girly to my taste.

Agreed, too girly!!

Smells like Gucci EdP II to me, very sweet hairspray-like.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I much prefer Mre et Musc Extrme but, for an EDP, it still doesn't last on me. I suppose the problem are the 'girly' vibes or associations, coupled with a lack of sophistication, that many (including myself) have reservations about. I do love the smell of it but can't see myself wearing it that often. I think if a green or earthy note was added it would probably appeal to men more. On a side note, Ava Luxe's Wild Blackberry Musk is much better IMHO but, unfortunately, there's a lack of consistency in her batches.

I have both and wear them frequently in warmer weather. I do think they are slightly better suited for a woman straight out of the bottle but the dry down strikes me as quite unisex. The original might be better balanced for a fellow as the Extreme can smell a bit jammy on top and slightly more perfumey overall. Also, I try to limit myself to a few sprays and spread them out. As such, it wears fairly close to the skin. Honestly, I just love the smell and don't worry about its perceived femininity at all. Give it a go. I adore it.

p.s. With everything stated above in mind, I have also considered one of them as an eventual purchase for my eight year old daughter. She currently wears Brandy (and steals a spray of my Egoiste here and there) but when she runs out I think one of these will be coming her way. A great first "big girl" perfume, so to speak. Maybe we could advance the notion of a "shared" perfume as Father-Daughter. We'll see.
    Last edited by dekdek; 22nd May 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I generally wear flamboyant orientals.
    Are you flamboyant yourself Caesar? If so it could work for you

Count me among the men who's happy to wear these. I own both and am never troubled walking around in them. The drydown is a fantastic meld of blackberries and musk, such that I can't really pick one from the other.

I can see someone making a good argument that the scent is clearly very close to the fruity stuff popular with the female mall-rat crowd, but I'd argue it's so much better than that and doesn't let the fruit run away with it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I keep a bottle of this at my office and I put it on on my way out if I'm going out after work in the Summah. In the Wintah I do the same with Passage D'Enfer.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I can see someone making a good argument that the scent is clearly very close to the fruity stuff popular with the female mall-rat crowd, but I'd argue it's so much better than that and doesn't let the fruit run away with it.
    I wonder if this was the inspiration for all that fruity barbie stawberry shortcut stuff, or if it was the other way around and this was an effort to make something more refined out of that stuff.

In a way, I think it doesn't matter if I wear it in public because even in the EdP version it's such a close to the skin scent that no one notices it anyhow!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Mure et Musc Extreme is brilliant. I love wearing it and how i smell when i do. Phenomenal longevity. I wake up smelling it after wearing it the morning (not night) before. Nothing girly about it, and this from a powerhouse lover.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

For people who like berries and musc but think Mure et Musc is too girly, they should try Silver Mountain Water by Creed. Same theme, imho better execution.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I think it smells great on me and would wear it a shame it does not lasT or I would be owning and wear it

I think it smells amazing, but it's too feminine for me to feel comfortable wearing in public. I agree with Trebor though, if a light green note was added it would be far more wearable by men,
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I don't wear it. Not because it's feminine (I think it's unisex) but because it smells like blackberry scented hairspray on my skin and grossed me out the 2 times I sampled it. Blech!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    No, by no means. Too girly to my taste.
    To my taste too but I like it on my wife

I wear and very much enjoy Mure et Musc Extreme, amazing berry-citrus accord. I wear it with formal attire at work and it never once felt feminine, it's perfectly unisex. Funnily, my wife thinks it might be too masculine for her, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I wear and very much enjoy Mure et Musc Extreme, amazing berry-citrus accord. I wear it with formal attire at work and it never once felt feminine, it's perfectly unisex. Funnily, my wife thinks it might be too masculine for her, go figure.
    Yeah, the review section has alot of men saying it's too feminine, and women saying it's too masculine. I just but a few sprays on and I'll see how it is recieved at tango class...
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I had a sample of the Extreme and much preferred it on my husband -- the "Musc" part really came out on him. So I say go for it!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I haven't been too impressed by M&M or M&M Extreme when I tried it in stores, but today someone showed me a extrait version which I didn't know about, which seemed very nice (but rather expensive). Has anyone had any experience wearing this?

Sur la Plage

I have tried both several times. They just don't appeal to me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

So I wore it out tonight and last night, and basically, almost noone noticed either way. It just doesn't last very long. It's alot like Fou d'Absinthe in that respect. You need 30 sprays to get 2hrs out of it. One person did compliment me on it tonight. I notice that at first it smells like girlie raspberry spray, then after a minute it's all white musk with blackberry flavouring and it makes your skin super soft where you applied it, and then after 30 minutes it's a nice balance radiant glow. But soon after it becomes a skin scent unless you're dancing or in humidity. I will keep it in the end because I really like that radiant stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    I haven't been too impressed by M&M or M&M Extreme when I tried it in stores, but today someone showed me a extrait version which I didn't know about, which seemed very nice (but rather expensive). Has anyone had any experience wearing this?
    Is that the one that comes in the blackberry shaped bottle?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Is that the one that comes in the blackberry shaped bottle?
    No, here's a picture of it.

The back compartment holds a refill in an airtight metal container.

I like to wear the Extreme. A guy at work did ask me if I was wearing my Wife's perfume one time. My reply was, no, I'm wearing your Wife's perfume. That shut him up.

So I wore it out tonight and last night, and basically, almost noone noticed either way. It just doesn't last very long. It's alot like Fou d'Absinthe in that respect. You need 30 sprays to get 2hrs out of it. One person did compliment me on it tonight. I notice that at first it smells like girlie raspberry spray, then after a minute it's all white musk with blackberry flavouring and it makes your skin super soft where you applied it, and then after 30 minutes it's a nice balance radiant glow. But soon after it becomes a skin scent unless you're dancing or in humidity. I will keep it in the end because I really like that radiant stage.
    Likewise, I did not choose it for its longevity but more for the way the clean musc and the fruit combine into an amazing skin scent.
    Last edited by jathanas; 24th May 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I like to wear the Extreme. A guy at work did ask me if I was wearing my Wife's perfume one time. My reply was, no, I'm wearing your Wife's perfume. That shut him up.
    Dude, that is hilarious! If you like "your girlfriend" humour you should listen to Kool Keith - if he ever mentions having sex in any song it's invariably with your girlfriend or your wife etc. Very visual lyric style.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I love the Extreme version and wear it about every 10 days or so. The last time I wore it my sister in law and my niece were raving about it.

It is not feminine at all in my opinion. The musk, though a white musk, is dirty enough to suggest male musk, and the berry smell sweetens the offering without overpowering it into a Paco XS berry sundae.

I also have to say this is an extremely highly complimented frag for me with great longevity. I use a spray on each side of the neck, one on the chest and one on the wrists.

I also enjoy wearing M&M Extreme. However, for something marketed as the "extreme version", the longevity isn't too impressive, I have to admit, but it's okay. I imagine the original lasts even shorter.

I'm one of the Mure et Musc users who experiences fantastic longevity. I own both edt and Extreme. They're both of superior duration on me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm one of the Mure et Musc users who experiences fantastic longevity. I own both edt and Extreme. They're both of superior duration on me.
    I get wonderful bursts of scent the next day before I hit the shower, or late at night when I remove my undershirt. Further, many of the compliments have been given to me 10 hours after application.

I wore my Mure et Musc Extreme sample last night. I swear I cannot figure this stuff out. First of all, it smells great, and believe it or not lasts forever. But, my mind literally went back and forth on it every 5 minutes. First I find it smells like some sort of girly fruity perfume, then it smells less sweet and that I could wear it, back and forth I went. I just cannot figure it out.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I think that's because it changes about three times. At first it's bright sparkling berries and is kind of girly, but at the same time sharp and masculine, and then soon after the white musk takes over which engulfs the berries so that they almost disappear - in this face it's *very* feminine - it's soft and babyish almost. Then the berries come back, but they're soft and musky, and that's the phase that's the most wearable, by me at least. It lasts forever in your clothes - it outlives washing actually! It smells great on clothes, different from on the body, and resembling the best stage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I wore my Mure et Musc Extreme sample last night. I swear I cannot figure this stuff out. First of all, it smells great, and believe it or not lasts forever. But, my mind literally went back and forth on it every 5 minutes. First I find it smells like some sort of girly fruity perfume, then it smells less sweet and that I could wear it, back and forth I went. I just cannot figure it out.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    I've sampled this quite a few times but haven't given it a full wear. The extrait is very rich and I believe some subtle spice/green notes have been added. Unfortunately it loses some muskiness in concentration, but is otherwise excellent. The price is steep and not worth it unless you're a die-hard fan.

Add me to the list of guys who find MeM unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I've sampled this quite a few times but haven't given it a full wear. The extrait is very rich and I believe some subtle spice/green notes have been added. Unfortunately it loses some muskiness in concentration, but is otherwise excellent. The price is steep and not worth it unless you're a die-hard fan.

Add me to the list of guys who find MeM unisex.
    Do you have experience with both MeM and MeM Extreme? If so, which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Do you have experience with both MeM and MeM Extreme? If so, which do you prefer?
    I like the extreme because it's got more ooomph without losing balance.