Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best scent ever

Default Best scent ever

What, according to you, is the best scent for men ever created?

Please name just ONE.

Default Re: Best scent ever

for me it's Dior Homme, but I believe there'd been a bunch of these threads before.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    What, according to you, is the best scent for men ever created?

Please name just ONE.
    That´s hard..... but ok, I would choose: Pour Monsieur, Chanel (1955)!

You may like this thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...t=masterpieces

Green Irish Tweed (don't burn me at the stake for this), but I love the iris and violety opening, and bright, soapy, lemony middle notes, and creamy ambergris base. It's addicting. It is so versatile too, casual - check, date - check, interview - check. I'm sure there are a lot of better scents, but this one covers so many grounds and is so intoxicatingly good. One downside is it's price. But it is the only Creed I would pay for at regular prices.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I am sucker for musc ravaguer!!! It wins against anything!!!1

It's hard to pick just one, which is why there are going to be a bunch of replies with five or more as usual. My opinion on this changes every few months. Right now I'm more into Himalaya than I am Gucci PH, which would get me second vote.

Basenotes Plus

Patou Pour Homme. Why in the name of all that is holy did they discontinue this masterpiece ?. It defies logic.

Supracuhz - you certainly won't get any stick from me over GIT - It's a pretty close second in my book.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 29th May 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. This scent's so beautiful, so deep, so special, so amazing for both men and women. It smells diffirent.

The best scent ever is the scent of a woman. Unsurprisingly, it's made up of all natural ingredients and lasts forever

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    The best scent ever is the scent of a woman. Unsurprisingly, it's made up of all natural ingredients and lasts forever
    Yea, and it never shuts up *joking*

Is your question about Dub genuine?

The scent of only a few select women for me! In my short life time, I've met many women who smell terrible. (And even more men that smell horrible actually) The phrase "wet dog" comes to mind. Man, now people would think I go around smelling strangers!

As for favorite scent, I really love the smell of rain. Here's more info on the scent:

L'eau Petrichor [Rain] (B.C. 4.6 billion years)
    House: Mother Earth
    Perfumer: Depending on your beliefs, either a divine entity, or a "random set of events after the Big Bang."
    Notes: Geosmin, Lightning ion, dust particles, wet dirt, plant oils, Actinomycete spores
    Reformulations: 3 Billions of Years a go, clouds began to form. 0.5 billion year ago: Oxygen began to saturate the atmosphere.

Fun fact: Do you know that the smell of rain is stronger in desert regions? Yes, that's the limited edition EDP formula available only in desertified areas!

...And if forced to choose an actual frag -- sorry, but can't single one out!
    Last edited by moltening; 29th May 2009 at 10:07 AM.

I want to think it's a reference to an old Eiffel 65 song, Dub In This Life (I think that's the title) "what is dub, dub in this life"

Ive yet to find anything I love more than

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    'What is Dub' happens to be the title of a dubby track I'm digging atm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poR8umoqqW8

or it's a reference to the song that made its way to DDR, Dub I Dub? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjJ2_P5P4U

Yea, and it never shuts up *joking*

I lolled
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

'What is Dub' happens to be the title of a dubby track I'm digging atm
    Cool, I've got 3 of the best dub collections ever made sitting in my cd collection.

Cool, I've got 3 of the best dub collections ever made sitting in my cd collection.
    Always good to meet someone with similar taste in music

Dubstep, on the other hand, I dislike. No offense to those who dig it -- but to me its pure trainwreck -- I could trainwreck after trainwreck and call it a dubstep set.

To answer the original question again, besides the scent of a woman, I'll have to agree with Pour_Monsieur : it's Spirituese Double Vanille for me too.

King Tubby!

Oh, and the best scent evah - the most versatile one is GIT, imho.

Always good to meet someone with similar taste in music

Dubstep, on the other hand, I dislike. No offense to those who dig it -- but to me its pure trainwreck -- I could trainwreck after trainwreck and call it a dubstep set.
    I agree, the collections I have are Trojan Dub Boxsets, Dub Box 1, Dub Box 2 and Dub Rarities.

Fave track, Horace Andy & Tapper Zukie Natty Dread A Weh She want

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    I lolled
    Yeah, and I had to put *joke* in because there is usually always one who takes it seriously and gets offended. lol

On topic, I don't think I could pick a best scent ever as Im pretty sure I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 29th May 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Jovan musk oil

It's difficult to choose since my favourite smell, Mitsouko, isn't my most versatile fragrance, while my second favourite, Vol de Nuit, is much more versatile. However, you asked about the best fragrance and not the best smell, so I'll go with Vol de Nuit!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Sung Homme.
    Renato

After trying vintage Givenchy Gentleman, it gets my vote.

Perhaps the finest constructed of those I own: Ungaro II.

It's not my favorite, though, but it is a masterpiece imo (of course the question remains: is it a masterpiece in Paco Sweet's opinion? :bounce
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    of course the question remains: is it a masterpiece in Paco Sweet's opinion? :bounce:
    *Shudders*

Blog Entries

Right at this minute, it is Zino Davidoff.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Guerlain Vetiver

Givenchy Vetyver

Simplicity, timeless, elegant.

Without a shadow of a doubt... Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

impossible question, but for the sake of discussion let's go with Chypre de Coty (seeing as though it's the foundation of so many greats, and great itself.

By comparison, I have smelled so very few so I really can't answer this question. I love reading the responses, however, and finding out how much I really don't know about this wonderful "hobby"!

I think my opinion changes daily. However, at the moment I'm very fond of Fleur du Male. I generally only wear it once a week (Friday/Saturday nights - its completely inappropriate and far too sexy/daunting for work at a minesite!) BUT its the 1 fragrance I own that I truly enjoy the most.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

IMO Jean Patou Pour Homme Prive

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Best scent ever

Jaipur by Boucheron.

Of all the fragrances I tried and owned (not a very long list):
    Last edited by nout; 29th May 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I think my opinion changes daily. However, at the moment I'm very fond of Fleur du Male. I generally only wear it once a week (Friday/Saturday nights - its completely inappropriate and far too sexy/daunting for work at a minesite!) BUT its the 1 fragrance I own that I truly enjoy the most.
    Anthony, if you don't mind paying niche prices, you should seek out and try Mazzolari Zagara, it smelled to me like a much much stronger version of Fleur de Male.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

If I had to forsake all others for just one, it would be GIT by Creed because it smells so good and is always perfect in any climate in any situation. The others in my collection require special consideration depending on particular factors involved. GIT can be grabbed at any moment.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree inhabits, to me, a world apart. Both modern and classical, enfolded in its sophisticated construction seems a summary of the history of male fragrance. It’s Alan Rickman reading a sonnet. Never shouting, it grows slowly but never precipitously deeper, with enchanting nuance, calm, and distinction. The best.

Objectively, I'd say it's an even tie b/w Green Irish Tweed and Eau de Monsieur (Annick Goutal). They're both perfect in so many ways.

As for my own personal favorite, it's Equipage by Hermes.

Some of the best ones ever have been mentioned already, but I want to make the list a little wider: Diptyque L'Ombre dans l'Eau.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

My fav dub-containing album is Sandinista by the Clash!
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Some of the best ones ever have been mentioned already, but I want to make the list a little wider: Diptyque L'Ombre dans l'Eau.
    Dust, I agree it's an incredible scent. Unfortunately I find it far too realistic to be worn as a personal fragrance, but as a smell its pretty damn amazing.

Czech & Speake 88

This is hard but at this moment it's Straight to Heaven.

I'm going to say Dior's Poison, because it contains a bit of everything I like.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm glad to see someone else appreciates L'Ombre dans L'Eau as much as I do! I bought this for my wife a few years ago, and it is a superb perfume. Is it marketed as a unisex frag? I just bought it, assuming it was marketed for women because of (what I perceive as) the fig and rose notes, which I usually associate with women's fragrances. I've never worn it, but maybe I should.

Cool Re: Best scent ever

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    The scent of only a few select women for me! In my short life time, I've met many women who smell terrible. (And even more men that smell horrible actually) The phrase "wet dog" comes to mind. Man, now people would think I go around smelling strangers!

As for favorite scent, I really love the smell of rain. Here's more info on the scent:

L'eau Petrichor [Rain] (B.C. 4.6 billion years)
    House: Mother Earth
    Perfumer: Depending on your beliefs, either a divine entity, or a "random set of events after the Big Bang."
    Notes: Geosmin, Lightning ion, dust particles, wet dirt, plant oils, Actinomycete spores
    Reformulations: 3 Billions of Years a go, clouds began to form. 0.5 billion year ago: Oxygen began to saturate the atmosphere.

Fun fact: Do you know that the smell of rain is stronger in desert regions? Yes, that's the limited edition EDP formula available only in desertified areas!

...And if forced to choose an actual frag -- sorry, but can't single one out!
    Good one!
    I won't try to top that . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

body kouros
    Last edited by Dudester!; 29th May 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Dunhill for Men - 1934

Close second: Rive Gauche
    - E.J.

My favorite seems to change. At first many frags seem great, then you get used to them and they don't have that same sparkle. Also, I find that how I experience a frag is influenced by what I wore recently, especially if it is a similar frag. That being said, I just swapped for a bottle of Burberry London for men and really like it. Others don't seem to detect many of the notes but I do, and it's superb. I'm just wondering if it will also lose that first wearing sparkle like many others. I did sample it several months ago (at Sephora) but I sampled many that day and couldn't really keep track of it, so I don't count that as a "full wearing."

Giorgio for Men remains my number one scent, followed closely by 'Vintage' Tabarome.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    Green Irish Tweed (don't burn me at the stake for this), but I love the iris and violety opening, and bright, soapy, lemony middle notes, and creamy ambergris base. It's addicting. It is so versatile too, casual - check, date - check, interview - check. I'm sure there are a lot of better scents, but this one covers so many grounds and is so intoxicatingly good. One downside is it's price. But it is the only Creed I would pay for at regular prices.
    +1

GIT smells better to me than 99% of the other scents out there and the ones that do smell better aren't half as versatile.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

I don't think I'll ever be able to answer this question. Havana / Havana Reserva are my favorites, but that's not the answer you're looking for...

Today it's Tiffany for men
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 29th May 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

today.......Rive Gauché Pour Homme...a bridge between classic and modern, great sillage and long lasting ,underrated(not here) for the general public,besides there is two genius behind this edt...Tom Ford and Jacques Cavallier...IMO
    Last edited by el.roger; 30th May 2009 at 03:22 AM.

Tough question, since I feel like I have tried so few of the scents out there, even though my little collection is getting close to 100 at this point. Of the ones I own or have tried, if I had to pick just one I think it would be Lalique Encre Noire right now.

Aramis

The scent of a woman for me.