Code of Conduct

Default Wisteria scents?

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, when Cambridge was a riot of tumbling wisteria.

As I walked home from work one sunny day, I walked under a canopy of wisteria -- what a beautiful scent! It got me wondering as to whether there are any wisteria frags out there.

Does anyone know?
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wisteria scents?

There's a new wisteria scent out by The Party available from Luckyscent now called just 'Wisteria'. I haven't tried it but it something I would like to test.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I recently tried Spirit of Water, by Neil Morris, and was taken by the wisteria fragrance. I'd forgotten what a glorious smell that is! Here are the listed notes: Wisteria, Water Lily, Jasmine, Poppy, Clean Musk, Tonka Bean. He sells generous samples from the website.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Crabtree & Evelyn have a Wisteria line.

Post Thanks / Like

Acca Kappa has a scent called Glicine (Wisteria), although I don't know if the line is available in the UK
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Crabtree & Evelyn have a Wisteria line.
    That's the only wisteria scent I know. I haven't sniffed it in a few years, but I remember it was nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Diptyque Olene has it in, along with jasmine and narcissus from memory. That is one helluva big white floral, mind....

"So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Chantecaille Wisteria got it too. It'd better! Overall -- and I am not familiar with how wisteria smells in nature -- it was not bad at all, reminded me of a shampoo i used as a child. Subtle and otherwise unremarkable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, when Cambridge was a riot of tumbling wisteria.

As I walked home from work one sunny day, I walked under a canopy of wisteria -- what a beautiful scent! It got me wondering as to whether there are any wisteria frags out there.

Does anyone know?
    Crabtree & Evelyn would have been my suggestion, but that has been put forth already.
    But hey -- I can totally relate to the Cambridge/wisteria thing. I was in Cambridge a month ago and those cascading lilac-purple blossoms were heady, rich, earthy... quite an experience.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

One doesn't really think of wisteria as possessing a heady scent until you happen upon masses of them, as you did. My wisteria experience this spring was passing by two cottages with side-by-side plantings of wisteria in their front yards, right upon the street-side fences. One was purple, the other was white. It was a sunny, warm day and the scent was discernible from half a block away. I spent a heavenly few minutes trying to note the subtle differences in fragrance between the white and the purple blossoms. There were plenty of bees accompanying me, but they were too deep in their ecstasy to think of stinging.

Olene was a terrific scent - the shower gel and soaps were incredible. Sadly, I believe this was discontinued when Diptyque did their do-over recently.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 2nd June 2009 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Olene on sale in France when I was over this week, so Europe may be an exception.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Gosh, thank you everyone! I shall be certain to check some of these out. I, too, had not previously been aware of how pretty wisteria can smell until I chanced upon a huge mass of them. Really lovely.

Partner mentioned this morning that she smelt a nice rose and cyclamen scent by Korres, when she was in Greece. Also got me to thinking what cyclamen actually smell like. I couldn't say!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    There's a new wisteria scent out by The Party available from Luckyscent now called just 'Wisteria'. I haven't tried it but it something I would like to test.
    I have a sample of this one. It doesn't smell bad. It doesn't smell good. It does smell weird.I know I don't like smelling my arm with Wisteria on it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just bought a 50 ml bottle of Elariia Wisteria EdT at T J Maxx for $4.99 (!) It's sealed and I haven't opened it yet. Not that it's a lot to risk--ha!-- but still before I open it, has anyone tried this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: Wisteria scents?

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I have a sample of this one. It doesn't smell bad. It doesn't smell good. It does smell weird.I know I don't like smelling my arm with Wisteria on it.
    Did you wait at least 1/2 hour? I thought it was nice when it mellowed. It's just awfully simple. It's beautifully deep and rich, though. Considering I used a smidgen, I bet it would be lots nicer with a hefty spray. Hmmm....I'm talking myself into it. Uh Oh. Here I go again.

On the other hand, I really disliked the frangipani. But I always do. So if you like Frang., you will like this one bcs it is true to form. Again, very straightforward soliflore. A bit dull, I must say. I prefer a journey in my scents.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I broke down and sprayed a bit of the Elariia Wisteria on my arm. There is a decided vanilla note in it. I have to let it evolve a bit and I'll post more. I'm also looking everywhere for my misplaced sample of C&E Wisteria so as to compare them!

Edit:
    Can't find the C&E sample! Oh, well.

There is a pleasant soft floral soapy quality to the Elariia one; while I probably would not have bought it if I'd tested it first, I think it could grow on me. Really, it's not bad. I'm afraid I never smelled the actual Wisteria flowers-- I'll have to do that next May and then I'll be able to say if this is realistic.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 25th June 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While out today I obtained another sample of C&E Wisteria so as to be able to compare with the Elariia one.

They are nothing alike. One would not even think they represent the same flower. Unfortunately, not knowing what the real wisteria flowers smell like, I can't say which is more realistic. The C&E one is very sweet --I smell gardenia and tuberose. Can't say I would wear it. I wish I could pin down the fragrance notes in the Elariia one-- it isn't like anything else I've smelled. I'm going to try layering it with other fragrances since it worked so well with Highland Lilac.

I see Demeter also has a Wisteria fragrance. Has anyone tried it?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Elariia Wisteria fragrance today while I was shopping in T.J. Maxx, so I picked it up. I should have read your post first! I suppose it's faintly similar to the sweet/spiciness of Wisteria, but there is definitely a lot of other stuff going on in this edt, and it has a bit of a resiny evergreen or pine scent to it as well, which strikes me as odd. It's not unpleasant, just peculiar. If I had smelled it first I wouldn't have bothered, but to be fair I should try it on fresh skin, not over two or three other scents that I'm already wearing this afternoon!

I tried Crabtree & Evelyn's Wisteria years ago, and I never thought it was very true to real wisteria but I thought it was a pretty fragrance. I think I liked the packaging there more than the fragrance itself.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you know C & E are going under in the US- I went to one of the stores here in CA - 75 % off everything - so now is the time to stock up !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrap everything I said about Elariia Wisteria the other day. I was smelling it over two or three other fragrances so who knows what I was smelling. Now, I'm trying it again right after a shower so nothing else under it. And I'm getting acacia in it. The same acacia that is a fragrance note in DK Gold edp. It has that same pollen rich sweetness. It's really quite lovely. Still not exactly like real wisteria, but maybe just a brief soft wisteria-like whiff in the beginning as the alcohol dries off. It's very pleasant. No pine resin.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 14th July 2009 at 08:36 PM.