Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's talk gourmands.

Any fans out there? I tried A*Men the other day, expecting to hate it, but was oddly captivated by it, especially after a few hours. The bottles are confusing though haha. Should I buy the rubber flask 3.4 oz version? Also what are some other gourmands that you enjoy?

Default Re: Let's talk gourmands.

I found that the gourmands that had something harsh in them eventually came to nauseate me (lavender is the worst for me). The tar in A*Men got to me after a while. A gentle gourmand (but strong) is Amour de Cacao. B*Men is a sort of hybrid, and I like it once in a while. I couldn't imagine wearing it every day, or even once a week !

One of my favorite gourmands is Armani Diamonds. Shame it has awful staying power though.

Most people here love Rochas Man.

Lolita Lempicka is hit or miss depending on your sense of adventure.

Also check out Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant. . . i'm smelling it on my watch this minute even though i wore it more than a month ago!

A*Men Pure Coffee is wonderful and can be enjoyed by both men and women.

New Haarlem by Bond is another great gourmand, also unisex.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Hillaire

OOH
    Please try Trussardi Inside Uomo.
    It's super good.

Chocolate gourmands:

Tried the much-discussed Dior Homme, or Guerlain's L'Instant PH each has a bit of chocolatey goodness in it.

I've only smelled SL's Borneo 1834 once, but damn that thing smells like chocolate even though they insist it's patchouli.

Start with a classic; Boucheron's Jaipur Homme. (edP)
    Last edited by neal; 30th May 2009 at 01:03 AM.

Histoires de Parfums 1725 - Casanova. Very nice masculine gourmand. Another vote for New Haarlem, Rochas Man, and L'Instant PH Extreme EDP
    Evenstar

Thanks guys, I've got some major sampling to do haha, even though I've never seen some of these frags in stores, they must be niche. I'm a smalltimer so I have no gouda for Bond brand frags, hopefully these others are cheaper. What's peoples stance on Givenchy Pi? Worthy of a purchase?

for non niche gourmands I second Rochas Man and LInstant de Guerlain. . Also the house Comptior Sud Pacifique (on most sites) has many low price vanilla gourmands. Givenchy Pi is ok, its more oriental than gourmand. The niche house Ava Luxe has many low priced gourmands ($30-40) such as Cafe Noir (coffee) and Loukhoum (candy almond). Let's see.... Dior Hypnotic Poison (bitter almond) is good and Dior Homme is a semi-gourmand that's one of the best scents around. Body Kouros and Lolita Lempicka are licorice/anise gourmands. I've seen Body Kouros cheap online.

A*Men itself is pretty good, just dont overapply! I've been getting into Angel and its flankers lately, the rose one is very good.

Are there any gourmands by Demeter worth checking out? Those are inexpensive.

The only Demeter I have is dirt, which I really like, oddly enough.
    Last edited by Mossant; 30th May 2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Some of my favorite gourmands:

Caron's Farnesiana - almond and mimosa goodness.
    Ayala Moriel's Immortelle L'Amour - vanilla, immortelle and cinnamon.
    Histoires de Parfums Marquis de Sade - fruit and immortelle

In general, gourmands are a sometime thing for me, but I quite like all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Thanks guys, I've got some major sampling to do haha, even though I've never seen some of these frags in stores, they must be niche.
    Looking at your location, possibly any suggestion is problematic!

For niche, try small samples and decants. They are a great way to try and enjoy fragrances that are otherwise beyond your price range. I live in a small city with no niche outlets and have a student budget, so there's no need to limit yourself.

One gourmand I really like (and is in your price range) is Jacomo Silver (also called Jacomo for Men). The coffee and plum are prominent, but there's no sharp or jarring note in there, which I can't stand.

Guerlain L'Instant, the Extreme version (EDP) especially, is a delightful scent with a chocolate cake element. It's pretty much the only gourmand I like - manly, sophisticated and refined but not stuck up. Girls love it and the longevity is the greatest of all my scents, the only scent I've tried that lasts as long as Tauer's LDDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossant View Post
    Are there any gourmands by Demeter worth checking out? Those are inexpensive.

The only Demeter I have is dirt, which I really like, oddly enough.
    I dont have specific suggestions, but on Demeters website you can buy 15ml bottles of any scent for under $10. Good way to try them.

Omnia Madera is nice.

I love the anise/absinthe accord in Douce Amere, the milky green fig in Premier Figuier, and the cocoa in Dior Homme
    Last edited by runstile; 30th May 2009 at 06:54 AM.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Fresh - Cannabis Santal

Takes everything I hate about A*Men and replaces it with fruit and a rose note.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    New Haarlem by Bond is another great gourmand, also unisex.
    +1, the only one I enjoy.

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne is pure gourmand. Super sweet orange and praline with a vanilla and patchouli base. Smells good enough to eat. It's growing on me.

Spirituese Double Vanille. It changed the way I view vanilla.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I love, nearly worship Gucci Envy, if this can be considered a gourmand.
    Currently wearing: Mystique Homme by Haramain

Dependent

Gourmands and foody scents undoubtedly have a place in my heart. (and stomache) Here's my little two (s)cents:

Chocolate and Vanilla:

The CSP range has lots of vanilla and a chocolate scent that can be found for prices between $25 to $30. Good value IMO. You should really check it out. Unlike vanilla, cocoa absolute isn't very expensive, so CSP's Amour de Cacao would be much better value than say, Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin, Montale's Chocolate Greedy, or PG's Musc Maori. (Yes, you should sample them too!) Use the money saved for the boozy vanilla pod-esque Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille or the pipe-like sexy Tobacco Vanille. (depending on your preference)

Designer Gourmands:

One GREAT designer frag that many look over or don't care to try is Dior's Hypnotic Poison, which doesn't have much to do with Poison at all apart from the name and bottle. Yes, it's marketed for women, but the blend of almond, vanilla, and woods is really delicious and definitely unisex. Please do try it next time you drop by at the department store. It's made by Annick Menardo, who brought us the very lovely LL au Masculin, Bois d'Argent, Bois d'Armenie, and the cult-favorite Bvlgari Black.

The "usual suspects" I recommend over A*Men, where the patchouli and chocolate gets tedious after a while: Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (anise, licorice) Rochas Man (mocha-lavender-vanilla) Yohji Homme (rich and sumptuos roasted coffee, liqourice, rum over cinnamon and leather)

Aoud Gourmands:

When thinking of aouds with a gourmand twist, only three comes to mind: Montale's Red Aoud and Micallef's Vanille Aoud / Aoud Gourmet. Red Aoud is undoubtedly one of my favorite scents from the Montale line. The blend of red papper, saffron, and oris together with aoud creates a chocolatey effect that is rich and satisfying -- ironically much more so than Montale's own Chocolate Greedy. HIGHLY recommended for sampling. It's different and unlike anything out there. I love it! On the other hand, Vanille Aoud is also worth sampling although it's on the sweet side with only a minimal amount of oud. It can be thought of as Serge Luten's Un Bois Vanille with more oomph, prunes, and more "bois."

Loukhoums:

AKA Turkish delight! It's a middle eastern confection made up of sugar and starch. Lots of niche scents try to recreate this. Try: Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum, and Serge Luten's Rahat Loukhoum. Of the three, Montale's SOD is hands down the best as it loses the 'powderiness' and 'florals-sticking-out' which is usually common for this subgenre.

Happy sampling!
    Last edited by moltening; 30th May 2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Currently wearing: Pohadka by YS Uzac

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I probably should've mentioned I don't really care for a coffee scent, I prefer more of a vanilla and or chocolate type smell with other things in it.

Im curious ...... anyone tried Aoud Gourmand from M Micallef ? If you will excuse the expression it sounds right up my alley

Sugar, marzipan, honey, spice, patchouli, cedar, cypriol, amber, sandalwood, cashmeran, musks

Hermčssence Ambre Narguilé: sweet amber, cinnamon, vanilla, a touch of wood... Very warm, cosy and comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Im curious ...... anyone tried Aoud Gourmand from M Micallef ? If you will excuse the expression it sounds right up my alley

Sugar, marzipan, honey, spice, patchouli, cedar, cypriol, amber, sandalwood, cashmeran, musks
    YES! Its actually 'aoud gourmet' (not gourmand), but regardless its my new obsession. It starts off with the fairly stronh oud note in many of the Micallefs but is underpinned with an almond/vanilla gourmand. As the oud fades the gourmand emerges, but the balance of the accords is where its at. Great structure, but you must like both oud and gourmands or you'll hate this. Theres a lot of sillage. I bought an 8ml decant but when thats gone I'll spring for a botle.

Basenotes Institution

I wear gourmands sparingly - here in S. Florida the warm weather makes it possible to only wear gourmands for a few months out of the year. Usually at the first sign of cool weather, I reach for:

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
    L'Instant Pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile by Hermes
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th May 2009 at 03:24 PM.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Gourmands are a difficult category for me to warm up to because I don't like big sweet gourmands. But, spicy smokey gourmands are great. These are few that I think are most excellent. Some of these have already been mentioned but I will second.

Yohji Homme - licorice, coffee, rum etc. always a very warm and comforting fragrance. Did Turin give this one five stars? I think he liked it for its innovative use of ingredients.

Bell'Antoniono by Hilde Soliani is mostly warm pipe tobacco mixed with coffee. A very masculine coffee shop gourmand.

Eau des Iles by MPG (also Eau du Navigateur from LAP) is a smokey wood/leather but also has nice coffee notes.

Borneo 1834 is all dark chocolate and patchouli. Gourmand combos are great with patchouli because they bridge the bitterness of patchouli so nicely and it works well in this one.

Straight to Heaven by Killian is a sweet honey rum note to offset a dry patchouli at the end. Has a liquid gourmand flavor to it.

Ambre Narguille is another amber tobacco scent that also smells like a good quality Christmas fruit/nut cake. My favorite blended amber fragrance too.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 30th May 2009 at 06:14 PM.