Code of Conduct

Talking CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

I know some of you out there hate the House of Creed for various reasons...I happen to really like some of their fragrances. If you want one more neophyte to be rescued from the 'Creed spell'; help me by recommending similar fragrances to Erolfa and Green Valley. Give me options so I shall be free! This is your chance. Don't let it get away!

I have been wearing Erolfa and Green Valley for the last six months and I must say that I absolutely love these two fragrances. The only problem is that no one else seems to be able to smell them on me.

I learned this one day when I ask my wife if she liked the fragrance I was wearing; she was sitting next to me in the passenger seat, and could not smell ANYTHING! She actually had to grab my wrist and touch her nose to be able to get what she called a 'tenuous smell' .

I am very fond of both fragrances except for the projection/sillage they lack to the point that I am even considering finding similar fragrances (which, I do not think I will be able to do>>unless, off course you guys help me )

Having said that, I have a few questions:

1) Am I correct when I say that Creed fragrances have poor sillage, Or is it just my imagination? ( I get great projection with other fragrances—so I do not believe is my skin chemistry).

2) How can I improve the sillage/projection of my Creed Fragrances? Keep in mind I am not talking about longevity, but projection—what and how people perceive the fragrance when I wear it. I dream of a world were I can leave a subtle trail of the fragrance I am wearing. It will probably never come true.

FYI: I purchase my fragrances from Neiman Marcus and pay close attention to the date.

3) Do you guys know of any alternative niche fragrances or perfume houses (EDP preferably) with comparable quality of Creed compositions, same 'olfactory groups' (marine and chypre?-correct me if I am wrong) and resembling the same notes but with BETTER sillage/projection similar to these:

a) EROLFA
    b) GREEN VALLEY

I like 'fresh' QUALITY scents, nothing synthetic or cloying. Your recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

>>If there is another thread that discusses this topic please provide me with the link. Thank you.
    Last edited by scku; 31st May 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: s

Default Re: How do I improve the sillage/projection of my Creed Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by scku View Post
    1) Am I correct when I say that Creed fragrances have poor sillage, Or is it just my imagination? ( I get great projection with other fragrances—so I do not believe is my skin chemistry).

2) How can I improve the sillage/projection of my Creed Fragrances? Keep in mind I am not talking about longevity, but projection—what and how people perceive the fragrance when I wear it. I dream of a world were I can leave a subtle trail of the fragrance I am wearing. It will probably never come true.
    1. Not all Creeds are created equal. Some like Royal English Leather and Vintage Tabarome have tremendous sillage, others don't. Erolfa and Green Valley are lighter scents, I would expect them to dissipate quickly.

2. This is a classic thread, pay particular attention to all of Divatologist's comments: The Secret to Sillage!!!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 29th May 2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Spray more. Those need a generous application. Others, such as; Angelique Encens, Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie, and Bois de Portugal do not need so much.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Spray more. Those need a generous application. Others, such as; Angelique Encens, Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie, and Bois de Portugal do not need so much.
    My thoughts exactly. Since some scents simple weren't designed for sillage you can always decant some into an atomizer and re-apply as needed

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    1. Not all Creeds are created equal. Some like Royal English Leather and Vintage Tabarome have tremendous sillage, others don't. Erolfa and Green Valley are lighter scents, I would expect them to dissipate quickly.

2. This is a classic thread, pay particular attention to all of Divatologist's comments: The Secret to Sillage!!!
    Thank you TwoRoads. I'll read the thread you talk about.

Lightbulb Re: How do I improve the sillage/projection of my Creed Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Since some scents simple weren't designed for sillage you can always decant some into an atomizer and re-apply as needed
    Thank you shermanirving for replying to the thread.

I though about this before, but is it true that if one 'layers' a scent the fragrance loses sillage? I presume I can wait until the fragrance has dissipated completely and then reapply. Correct? I will probably have to learn how to decant
    Last edited by scku; 31st May 2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: s

Default Re: Similar niche fragances Chypre, green, marine, fresh scents? Creed sillage/projec

I adore Creed's GIT and MI, but the sillage is so poor I simply cannot justify the price. Applying lots of it doesn't seem to help in any way.

Cool Re: Similar niche fragances Chypre, green, marine, fresh scents? Creed sillage/projec

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I adore Creed's GIT and MI, but the sillage is so poor I simply cannot justify the price. Applying lots of it doesn't seem to help in any way.
    So...what did you do? Are you considering alternative fragrances? Should I simply give up on Creed?

Default Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Dude, how many times are you going to change your post title? You're not getting off to a good start.

Default Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Sorry to say, but Green Valley and Erolfa are pretty unique. What i find more about those fragrances is that they do have sillage, but they have low longevity (around 4 hours)
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I don't think you'll find the same nose pleasure with anything besides these two.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

As to Erolfa, consider getting the shower gel and using that before you put on the fragrance. It seems to magnify it and I remember getting a compliment after doing that.

The scent that reminds me most of Erolfa is Laura Tonatto's Oltre; but it is a reminder in character, not a copy. Some people say Bond's Wall Street, but I say not at all.

I get lots of longevity out of Erolfa.

As to Green Valley, I don't really like it. I see it as a middle ground between Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water, but not as good as either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Dude, how many times are you going to change your post title? You're not getting off to a good start.
    Someone had to say it. Wasn't going to be me. Lol
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    As to Erolfa, consider getting the shower gel and using that before you put on the fragrance. It seems to magnify it and I remember getting a compliment after doing that.

The scent that reminds me most of Erolfa is Laura Tonatto's Oltre; but it is a reminder in character, not a copy. Some people say Bond's Wall Street, but I say not at all.

As to Green Valley, I don't really like it. I see it as a middle ground between Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water, but not as good as either of them.
    I personally don't think WALL STREET'S sillage is any better than GIT's they are both fougeres a fragrance family not well known for their sillage
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Thank you shermanirving for replying to the thread.

I though about this before, but is it true that if one 'layers' a scent the fragrance loses sillage? I presume I can wait until the fragrance has dissipated completely and then reapply. Correct? I will probably have to learn how to decant

One can layer a scent on top of itself without any problem. I've never heard a fragrance 'loses sillage' when layered. My suggestion was really so you'd have a fresh application on demand. To decant get a funnel and atomizers from a site like accessoriesforfragrance.com or lotioncrafter.com.

Lightbulb Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

I know, I know....I am sorry I was hoping no one would notice

I merely wanted to post a title that would accurately convey the subject matter in my thread; and I could not decide which title was better.

Once again I apologize if it bothered anyone.

Sorry people.
    Last edited by scku; 1st June 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: a

You might like Bijan Style for men, which is similar to some of the "fresh" Creed frags, as at least one other BNer noted (I don't like this kind of frag, but I think he was right). and which is strong and cheap. Who could ask for more?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st June 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Try spraying on your clothes instead of directly on your skin. (Careful - it might stain some fabrics, so test it first.) But many times scents are more persistent sprayed on clothing (or a handkerchief, etc.) rather than on your skin.

Some people with longer hair say they spray their hair near the back of their neck for a similar effect... BUT it won't wash out as readily, so you may not have a lot of luck with that if you rotate scents frequently.
    - E.J.

I LOVE Green Valley, but respect Erolfa from a distance, as it's a bit too briny and salty for me.

I don't think you'll find anything similar enough to these two to serve as a substitute, but I will agree with what others have said about simply spraying more and/or carrying an atomizer.

Green Valley's fresh violet can be reminisced via Narcisco Rodriguez and the green is similar to that in Fahrenheit, but much more subdued.

And Mark Birley for men and Bond No.9 Wall Street are similar to Erolfa, but a bit brighter and not quite as salty. But both of those are pretty expensive too.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I know, I know....I am sorry I was hoping no one would notice

I merely wanted to post a title that would accurately convey the subject matter in my thread; and I could not decide which title was better.

Once again I apologize if it bother anyone.

Sorry people.
    No problem, Scku, but yeah, the truth is that members will help you out if they think they can. If they can't no amount of bumping or re-titling will really help.

what Brielle said, spray Liberally, dont be afraid. i used ot have Green Valley..10-14 srpays of it used to last me whole day easy. i still have the Erolfa, again, no problems with that too...maybe it's my skin type..

Default Re: Similar niche fragances Chypre, green, marine, fresh scents? Creed sillage/projec

So...what did you do? Are you considering alternative fragrances? Should I simply give up on Creed?
    Yep, I simply don't buy Creed anymore. I adore some of their scents, but the sillage and longevity and too weak for me. This is probably a sin to say around here, but I just use Cool Water as a substitute for Green Irish Tweed and Sean John Unforgivable as a substitute for Millesime Imperial. Now I'm not saying the smells are the same, but the cost, sillage and longevity are so much better with the "cheaper" brands. Plus I always get compliments when wearing good ol' Cool Water. As much as I love GIT, nobody ever remarks on it unless I shove it up to their nose and then they almost always say something like "Oh yes, I love Cool Water too". Hehe.
    Last edited by Riverwide; 1st June 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Question Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Sorry to say, but Green Valley and Erolfa are pretty unique. What i find more about those fragrances is that they do have sillage, but they have low longevity (around 4 hours)
    wow in the vast world of perfumes these are 'Pretty unique'? crap. That is good and bad; I guess. I like unique scents, but If I am not able to improve the sillage or longevity (as you indicated) of these fragrances I am stuck with these two ?

Cool Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

scentsitivity thanks for the informative reply.

I will be certain to purchase the shower gel as soon as possible. (Good idea> thanks).

Also, I will order a sample of Laura Tonatto's Oltre.

I have heard the same about Wall Street, but when I tested the scent it seemed to resemble MI more than Erolfa. At the same time, I did not spend too much time with it to really know. I'll test Wall Street again.

Thank you again.

Wink Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Someone had to say it. Wasn't going to be me. Lol
    LOL ! I am glad someone said it. I'll refrain from reposing my title many times in the future.

mtgprox05...cough... I am sorry...Mr. Green,

I notice you have Green Valley as one of your 'current loves'. Do you have any comments or recommendations that resemble Green Valley? Are the other listed scents under 'current loves' similar to Green Valley in any way? Do you categorize Green Valley as a 'green' (not a chypre?) fragrance?

Post Re: How do I improve the sillage/projection of my Creed Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    One can layer a scent on top of itself without any problem. I've never heard a fragrance 'loses sillage' when layered. My suggestion was really so you'd have a fresh application on demand. To decant get a funnel and atomizers from a site like accessoriesforfragrance.com or lotioncrafter.com.
    accessoriesforfragrance.com and lotioncrafter.com?> got it. I hope I will not waste any perfume by trying to decant. If I do; well what can I say, my counter top will smell amazingly, right? I'll report back. Thank you.

Lightbulb Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You might like Bijan Style for men, which is similar to some of the "fresh" Creed frags, as at least one other BNer noted (I don't like this kind of frag, but I think he was right). and which is strong and cheap. Who could ask for more?
    Bijan Style for men has good reviews here. I was not necessarily searching for a 'cheap' alternative, but I have nothing to lose. I will certainly give it a try.

Thanks Bigsly

I notice you have Green Valley as one of your 'current loves'. Do you have any comments or recommendations that resemble Green Valley? Are the other listed scents under 'current loves' similar to Green Valley in any way? Do you categorize Green Valley as a 'green' (not a chypre?) fragrance?
    Scku, like I said above, members will help you out with their thoughts if they think they can and if they feel like it. Asking again, changing thread titles, and bumping the thread isn't going to get you more scents that duplicate the ones you want.

Thank you,
    --Chris

[QUOTE=jenson;1528066]what Brielle said, spray Liberally, dont be afraid...QUOTE]

Be very afraid.:brolly:

LOL ! I am glad someone said it. I'll refrain from reposing my title many times in the future.

mtgprox05...cough... I am sorry...Mr. Green,

Sorry about the blunt response. Yes, I do love Green Valley, and yes the longevity/zillage aren't great, but I have come to live with it. Contrary to what some dissenters on these boards say, I think Creed fragrances are generally of the utmost quality, they have a sort of sheen to them, a roundess. They don't all scream at you, but I find I enjoy them moreso than some other fragrances even in the limited time they are around. What I do to get adequate longevity out of Green Valley is what others have posted already, I spray more. My normal routine is 4 sprays to various locations but with GV it's normally around 8, so double that. I just do my first round and then follow up a second time in the same spots. If all else fails I find some similarities to Green Valley in Jil Sander Man, but Jil Sander is less light and airy, and a little darker.

I like Erolfa as well, but began to get tired of the ambergris drydown since I found it arrived there incredibly quickly in Erolfa. If you want to explore some similar scents to Erolfa you should give a go to Heeley's Sel Marin and Beth Terry Mare.

Edit: I'm not great at classifying scents, but to me at least Green Valley is quite firmly planted in the green genre. At least to me it is.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st June 2009 at 07:52 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Creed is SO 80's. Bond No.9 is their hipper nephew, who can actually use a Blackberry.

Question Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

A few more questions

- What are the olfactory/olfactive groups for Erolfa and Green Valley.? I realize that this is somewhat subjective and that fragrances can belong to two or even three olfactive families. I just would like to have an vague idea so I can learn more about what I like and what I do not like.

- Once you guys find a fragrance you really like, how do you go about researching and finding other similar scents with the same characteristics or within the same olfactory group or scent families?

- Do you guys use the Basenotes advance search engine option to find specific fragrance notes? I have used it with unsuccessful results. Am I doing something wrong?

- Is there a website when one can filter search results by olfactory groups or individual notes? I know that fragantica.com has a olfactory/olfactive group description for many fragrances, but I was told is not always accurate.

Thank you guys
    Last edited by scku; 1st June 2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: s

I look for common notes among favorites. Once you begin to find common notes among your favorite fragrances you will eventually begin to pick those notes out when smelling something. In the fragrance directory you can search by note as well. Myself, I like green,fresh, aromatic scents, and I have figured that some of my favorite notes are vetiver, juniper, violet, pine etc. So if I see those notes in a fragrance I know it will most likely be something that I enjoy.

Erolfa I would charecterize as marine scent, or aquatic, whichever you prefer.

A few more questions

- Once you guys find a fragrance you really like, how do you go about researching and finding other similar scents with the same characteristics or within the same olfactory group or scent families?

- Do you guys use the Basenotes advance search engine option to find specific fragrance notes? I have used it with unsuccessful results. Am I doing something wrong?
    im sure you would find this following thread very interesting, i know i did http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=similar

Hey man, I apologize for being rude earlier in the post. I was having a hard time following your thought process, and I'm kind of sensitive when it comes to my Creed's. I'm a CREED LOVER!!!!!!

Again, I'm sorry. Welcome!!!!

Amouage Arcus is a better version of Erolfa.

Wink Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

Hey man, I apologize for being rude earlier in the post. I was having a hard time following your thought process, and I'm kind of sensitive when it comes to my Creed's. I'm a CREED LOVER!!!!!!

Again, I'm sorry. Welcome!!!!
    LOL! Not a problem. I absolutely love Creed fragrances. I was trying to be rather sarcastic with the title of my thread. -- and who am I kidding? ---...perhaps attract some attention to the thread too. I think it worked

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    im sure you would find this following thread very interesting, i know i did http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=similar
    Thank you jenson. I'll check it out.

I though about this before, but is it true that if one 'layers' a scent the fragrance loses sillage? I presume I can wait until the fragrance has dissipated completely and then reapply.
    Spraying more of the same fragrance shouldn't cause a problem. Depending on where you spray or dab it, it might not be so easy to get to the same spots in public.

If your "scent of the day" is more of a "scent of the morning", another thing you can do is carry a small decant/sample of something else that may complement your preferred fragrance (a 1 ml sample of EdP goes a long way) Sometimes it works well; sometimes not so well, but that's half the fun of it.

I've got one word for you : Everso!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

A few more questions

- What are the olfactory/olfactive groups for Erolfa and Green Valley.? I realize that this is somewhat subjective and that fragrances can belong to two or even three olfactive families. I just would like to have an vague idea so I can learn more about what I like and what I do not like.

- Is there a website when one can filter search results by olfactory groups or individual notes? I know that fragantica.com has a olfactory/olfactive group description for many fragrances, but I was told is not always accurate.

Thank you guys
    A few comments:

(1) You can use the basenotes directory to find notes, but keep in mind that the notes aren't listed for every fragrance. In fact, less than half have "note pyramids". Keep in mind note pyramids don't equal ingredients: there can be multiple ways to make a note or an accord. So there is some value, but limited in my mind.

(2) One thing that is helpful is to think of a fragrance in terms of its characteristics. So take Erolfa. One could label it as salty. Or one could focus on the tangerine note. Or one could describe it as a "realistic oceanic" fragrance. Using those ideas can lead someone to frame a question here on basenotes that gives you leads. For example: "I am looking for a salty, oceanic scent. Erolfa comes to mind. What else suggests a salty ocean to you?" There was a thread that asked what is the most realistic oceanic scent. Someone mentioned Erolfa. Someone else mentioned Laura Tonatto's Oltre as being very realistic. That is how I found Oltre. Is it Erolfa? No. But it is realistic and very nice. Perhaps a little better for a lady in my judgment, but a guy could wear it. You could come up with similar questions for people to key on.

(3) Here is some homework. Apply what I suggested to you in (2) to Green Valley. Start a new thread with a specific question and link it to Green Valley. To me, three things stick out in Green Valley: violet, blackcurrant, and musk. That isn't the scent, but if I were to describe what is prominent. Don't listen to me though: come up with your own. And you may get other viewers to that thread.

(4) Unrelated observation. Erolfa wears the best on hot summer days. I feel it projects better and I enjoy it most on hot summer days. I wore it some this winter, but I will wear it qute a bit this summer! And have the two previous summers as well.

Hope something here helps!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 3rd June 2009 at 11:42 PM.

Silver Mountain Water lasts an almost annoyingly long time, you might try that.

You might also try Tann Rokka as an alternative to Erolfa.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Silver Mountain Water lasts an almost annoyingly long time, you might try that.

You might also try Tann Rokka as an alternative to Erolfa.
    Which Tann Rokka? Tann Rokka Signature (Kisu)?

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I've got one word for you : Everso!
    This is going to sound very idiotic, but what is Everso? a fragrance? I tried to search for 'everso' in the basenotes directory but nothing came up.

This is going to sound very idiotic, but what is Everso? a fragrance? I tried to search for 'everso' in the basenotes directory but nothing came up.
    Everso was once a participant in this community who had a particular disdain for Creed fragrances.

Talking Re: CREED HATERS - Need your help. Similar niche fragances. Creed sillage problem

A few comments:

(1) You can use the basenotes directory to find notes, but keep in mind that the notes aren't listed for every fragrance. In fact, less than half have "note pyramids". Keep in mind note pyramids don't equal ingredients: there can be multiple ways to make a note or an accord. So there is some value, but limited in my mind.

(2) One thing that is helpful is to think of a fragrance in terms of its characteristics. So take Erolfa. One could label it as salty. Or one could focus on the tangerine note. Or one could describe it as a "realistic oceanic" fragrance. Using those ideas can lead someone to frame a question here on basenotes that gives you leads. For example: "I am looking for a salty, oceanic scent. Erolfa comes to mind. What else suggests a salty ocean to you?" There was a thread that asked what is the most realistic oceanic scent. Someone mentioned Erolfa. Someone else mentioned Laura Tonatto's Oltre as being very realistic. That is how I found Oltre. Is it Erolfa? No. But it is realistic and very nice. Perhaps a little better for a lady in my judgment, but a guy could wear it. You could come up with similar questions for people to key on.

(3) Here is some homework. Apply what I suggested to you in (2) to Green Valley. Start a new thread with a specific question and link it to Green Valley. To me, three things stick out in Green Valley: violet, blackcurrant, and musk. That isn't the scent, but if I were to describe what is prominent. Don't listen to me though: come up with your own. And you may get other viewers to that thread.

(4) Unrelated observation. Erolfa wears the best on hot summer days. I feel it projects better and I enjoy it most on hot summer days. I wore it some this winter, but I will wear it qute a bit this summer! And have the two previous summers as well.

Hope something here helps!
    OF COURSE IT HELPS! -EVERY SINGLE THING YOU SAID HELPED!

Thank you very much for the enlightening and educational reply.
    Last edited by scku; 9th June 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: s