Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone get the creaminess in LDDM anymore?

I remember L'air du Desert Marocain being a little creamy (the vanilla) but now it's just straight up incense, woods and some spices.

Comments?

Default Re: Does anyone get the creaminess in LDDM anymore?

I do get the creamyness -- the interplay of amber and vanilla.

Is your observation from a newer bottle or.......?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I do get the creamyness -- the interplay of amber and vanilla.

Is your observation from a newer bottle or.......?
    I had a 10ml decant from the older bottle, and now I own the new bottle. I found the vanilla/amber that makes the scent a little bit creamy to be more pronounced before, making it much more an oriental scent. Now it's just an incense based scent.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I had a 10ml decant from the older bottle, and now I own the new bottle. I found the vanilla/amber that makes the scent a little bit creamy to be more pronounced before, making it much more an oriental scent. Now it's just an incense based scent.
    I see -- I'm hoping there's no change in Tauer's LDDM formula. I would suggest you do a couple more side by side testings if you have any bit of the older juice left and report back.

Basenotes Institution

The creaminess is the one aspect of LDDM that I clearly remember, nsamadi. Partly why I never got a bottle, because I don't like creamy wood fragrances.

Interesting that you're saying it's non-creamy now.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th May 2009 at 07:40 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It's interesting that this thread has appeared, as recently I realised that the colour of the juice is remarkably different. The juice in the old bottle is orange while, in the newer bottles, it's a pale yellow. I haven't smelt the juice from the new bottles, though...

Any other difference, such as potency?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Any other difference, such as potency?
    Longevity and sillage is moderate (not a sillage monster which I hear often), though I find myself double spraying because the atomizer on the new bottle is quite poor in quality.

Why not ask Andy Tauer himself? He posts almost daily to his blog.

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/

Longevity and sillage is moderate (not a sillage monster which I hear often), though I find myself double spraying because the atomizer on the new bottle is quite poor in quality.
    For me its quite a beast. Stays all day and night, sillage is very strong too.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I have one of the original 100ml bottles and the juice is definitely orange. If you'd like, I can send you a sample and you can compare the two.

The creamy amber/vanilla that i pick up in mine only lasts five min and then it's straight incense, wood and spice. Whether that's the actual progression or the result of olfactory fatigue on those notes, I cannot say.

The sillage and longevity are wicked.
    Last edited by thaifighter; 30th May 2009 at 08:51 PM.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I think the rose note was what really made me dislike it.

I get creaminess from it, but it is not sweet. Like an ice cream of vanilla and woods and resins, without the sugar. Then it blossoms into a spicy incense. I like it ;D.

I'm actually quite shocked that there are two different "formulations" (I dont want to make any accusations yet), but the consensus seems to acknowledge there are very prominent distinctions, i.e color and smell. Perhaps in the price increase was a cause for all this (I believe it was like $60 for 100ml when it came out, to $80 for 100ml to $80 for 50ml, or something like that). That being said, I still don't want to make any assumptions. I'm pleased with what I have.
    Last edited by supracuhz; 30th May 2009 at 09:12 PM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    I have one of the original 100ml bottles and the juice is definitely orange. If you'd like, I can send you a sample and you can compare the two.

The creamy amber/vanilla that i pick up in mine only lasts five min and then it's straight incense, wood and spice. Whether that's the actual progression or the result of olfactory fatigue on those notes, I cannot say.

The sillage and longevity are wicked.
    If I remember correctly, my 10ml decant came from you in a swap. Yup, that decant was wicked than I bought a bottle and it's no where near as good as what you sent me.

I'll send an email to Tauer asking if he can comment.

Indeed it did, if I recall correctly it was for Creed's MI.

I wasn't sure if it was the same. Tragic that you bought a bottle and it's not as good. I *REALLY* hope Mr Tauer has not made changes...

If he has, then I am going to horde the 70 ml I have left...

and you should be selfish with whatever you have left of what I sent!
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Excellent response from Andy. I guess I'll have to age my bottle.

Good morning to you...

And my kindest thanks for your interest and for bringing this question up.
    Indeed, I know what you are referring to. But I can and would like to state
    hereby officially that the formula of the l'air du desert marcocain, eau de
    toilette intense has not changed at all from batch (lot) 1 (first lot) to
    lot 9 (last lot on the market so far). With the air du desert marocain being
    my best seller I do not have any intension to change a bit.
    What you see (darker colour) and smell (softer, more powdery, ambery, more
    oriental so to say): This is an aging effect. Like most of my fragrances,
    the l'air du desert marocain is built with a lot of natural ingredients.
    Before it goes to the shops it is matured for 2 months.
    When at the clients, it continues to mature, slowly, but nevertheless you
    can see it with the years (darker, slightly orange) , smoother.

The same, by the way, you can observe if you store some essential oils or
    absolutes as pure essences. Frankincense or Sandalwood, or Vetiver will
    mature over the years, getting smoother, softer, better.
    Based on your mentioning the large bottles: I changed the size of my flacons
    to an unique flacons in January 2006 (I think). Hence your bottle must have
    been more than 3 years old.

So you see: Like a good wine you can enjoy my fragrances after a short
    maturation process (2 months) when you get them, but they continue to grow
    and get better. This is - of course- a quality you do not get from your
    average scent as they are mostly bare of essential oils and absolutes, or
    contain much less of them.

I hope you find this answer suitable for your needs.
    and send you my best wishes

Andy

Excellent response alright -- I wonder why I didn't think of the aging logic before

I was gonna say.. for him to reformulate L'Air would have been the stupidest move in perfumery that I've ever heard of.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm wearing LDDM today... all I get is dry incense with a loads of dry spices. No creaminess and not powdery at all :/ (which is what i usually go for).

Sillage is not very good and longevity is ok-ish...

This is the first time I'm giving it a proper wear... and I'm slightly disappointed
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

One other possible explanation - it is possible that he made an error while blending the most recent lot (or at least whatever lot people are finding differences in). He's only human, and I know he's doing it all by hand, unlike the (I'm sure) automated process by the big companies.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    I'm wearing LDDM today... all I get is dry incense with a loads of dry spices. No creaminess and not powdery at all :/ (which is what i usually go for).

Sillage is not very good and longevity is ok-ish...
    Yup, this is pretty much what I get from L'air as well. I guess I'll have to keep my bottle locked away for a while and hope it changes and matures as Andy says. Hope he's right.

Just for information purposes...

I received a new bottle of LDDM from luckyscent.com yesterday afternoon. I applied one spray to the top of my right wrist at 4:00 PM last evening. It was as I remembered my first bottle, amazing and true to form...but it gets better.

The drydown was as I remembered and I woke up this morning at 3:00 AM on the sofa and the first thing I detected was LDDM. One spray! Ok, no joke, I am sitting at my desk at 2:30 PM today and after a morning shower and almost a full day, LDDM is shining like a star with a creamy amber/vanilla/resin glow. Unbelievable longevity and the same beautiful drydown.The longevity is nuclear, and I am trying to decide if that is a good thing.

So in conclusion, my new bottle is like I have always experienced previously with LDDM. It is overpowering my Givenchy Vetyver as I type, and I applied GV this morning. And the creaminess is definitely there in this bottle.

I am thinking in a couple of years of aging, this bottle will be a liquid orgasm.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 4th June 2009 at 07:32 PM.

im totally with JWS on this one. LDDM demonstrates excellent longevity on me as well...48 hrs plus and thts the best part about this scent. two sprays are all one needs. 50 ml bottle would last for a years altogether....the aging process part sounds pretty interesting.

It just may be my skin chemistry then. Last time I wore LDDM, I sprayed 4 times and it lasted 6 hours. All I get is incense and some spices.

It just may be my skin chemistry then. Last time I wore LDDM, I sprayed 4 times and it lasted 6 hours. All I get is incense and some spices.
    I would be glad to send you a sample of mine as soon as I receive my sample spray vials. That way you can know for sure. When I get my sample vials, I will PM you ok? Nothing worse than leaving a mystery unsolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I would be glad to send you a sample of mine as soon as I receive my sample spray vials. That way you can know for sure. When I get my sample vials, I will PM you ok? Nothing worse than leaving a mystery unsolved.
    Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to that. BTW, I purchased my bottle from Tauer's online store, so it isn't shady or anything. Maybe I can send you a sample from my bottle?
    Last edited by nsamadi; 4th June 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to that. BTW, I purchased my bottle from Tauer's online store, so it isn't shady or anything. Maybe I can send you a sample from my bottle?
    OK. Sounds good. Should be early next week since I ordered the vials this morning.