Code of Conduct

Talking Does a nice lilac scent exist? or lily-of-the-valley that isn't sickly?

I love both these spring flowers but I wear mostly incense or woods frags.... just wondering if anything out there may be nice and not make me ill.

If it's too cute i can always let my twin toddler girls wear them.

Default Re: Does a nice lilac scent exist? or lily-of-the-valley that isn't sickly?

I've had my eye on After My Own Heart by Ineke for a few weeks now. I love the smell of lilacs in the springtime, too, and I've heard that this is one of the very best.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Default Re: Does a nice lilac scent exist? or lily-of-the-valley that isn't sickly?

En Passant by Frederic Malle is a lilac-focused scent (quite nice, but I passed on my sample as it was not my thing). At FM prices though I don't think you'd want to pass it to your daughter :-)
    Last edited by kess; 31st May 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

If I recall correctly, Guerlinade is a lilac fragrance. I tested it once and thought it was very pretty, and not a kid's scent.

I have also heard about Highland Lilac being pretty good, but haven't tried it.
    Last edited by Asha; 31st May 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've been thinking of trying Highland Lilac too; here is its website. They sell samples:

http://www.highlandlilac.com/

As for LOTV, it has long been one of my favorite scents, but the best ones (IMO) have been reformulated to their detriment. I'm going to suggest you try Molinard's Les Fleurs de Provence Lily of the Valley (a.k.a. Muguet).

There are a number of other LOTV scents out there by Floris, Penhaligon's, Annick Goutal (Le Muguet), Crabtree & Evelyn, Taylor of London (their LOTV cologne ice stick is nicer than the spray), Woods of Windsor and Yardley. Jessica McClintock also has a strong muguet note.

Edit much later for anyone looking for yet another Lilac scent: I bought Demeter Lilac at CVS yesterday and it is really nice! I still think Highland Lilac of Rochester is better, but this one is quite good and it's $5.99 for the 15 ml. purse size (it's $10.00 on the Demeter website.)

Another later edit: For anyone who may read this thread, I did want to update on Demeter. The one to try is the Demeter Lilac cologne, not the Demeter Naturals 100% Natural Lilac eau de toilette, which doesn't smell like lilac in the least.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 21st August 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: updated with info on the other Demeter lilac

Blog Entries

I find Frederic Malle's Lys Méditerranée was more lily of the valley than lily. It was a little sweet for my taste, but if that's not an issue for you, do seek it out. It's quite pretty.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Ava Luxe has a White Lilac that is very pretty, and in Yves Rocher's Pur Désir series, there's an inexpensive Lilac in EDT or a $4 cream perfume.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Well, once upon a time, I wouldn't have hesitated to recommend Diorissimo for an incomparable lily-of-the-valley scent, as nothing else came close. Am sorry to say that I would probably no longer recommend it (see my recent thread 'What Happened to Diorissimo?').

This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I've just tried my sample of Lilac EDP from elizabethW, it's quite light and not sickly sweet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I've been thinking of trying Highland Lilac too; here is its website. They sell samples:

http://www.highlandlilac.com/
    We went to the Lilac Festival this year & bought a sample. It's very nice, really a pure lilac without a lot else going on. Duration is surpriingly long. And we were smelling real lilacs the same time we were testing the fragrance, so I'm sure it's representative of at least some lilacs.
    Last edited by ECaruthers; 31st May 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Muguet by Molinard if a wonderful lily of the valley scent with a lemony top. It goes on strong, but is quite clean, wonderful and adult. You can find a bottle on line for around $15 at 1stperfume.com

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Muguet by Molinard if a wonderful lily of the valley scent with a lemony top. It goes on strong, but is quite clean, wonderful and adult. You can find a bottle on line for around $15 at 1stperfume.com
    I agree - it's wonderful stuff.

Still, even though I sampled 'new' Diorissimo, I still liked it a lot.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

For the lilac, how about I Profumi di Firenze's Lilla? See TaraYvonne's brief review: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228255

I liked it, but my sister (for whom I bought it), said she had to sit down until the reverie passed.

I adore En Passant (Editions de parfum Fréderic Malle)
    It is expensive, though, as Kess has mentioned.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

The Highland Lilac is a beautiful soliflore. It is ONLY lilac, but it doesn't fiddle around and make it into something uber sweet, which is a plus. Lilac is beautiful on its own. Another plus is the price. Around $50 for full bottle.

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain is a pretty, simple scent with both those notes; mainly lily of the valley though.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear more about Highland Lilac-- I think I'll go ahead and order a sample.

I lived in the Rochester NY area for about 5 years--the scent in the air at the time the lilacs are blooming is simply incredible. I am sure the Highland folks have tried to capture that scent.

I love Yves Rocher Pur Desir Lilas, here is the link;
    http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control...oduct_id=41758
    I find it to be a wonderful scent and at only $11.00 on sale, a true value also.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I have both En Passant and the Rocher, but I hardly wear them and can't quite figure out why since I adore both of them. I am also interested in getting the Ineke, Sha, and the Highland Lilac.

I am perhaps spoiled by memories of Little Compton, Rhode Island, and the maginificent sweeps of lilacs down to the Narragansett Bay. From these bushes came small cuttings that were transported and transplanted into our back yard. They did not suffer from my family's complete lack of gardening know-how and they were simply stuffed into the dirt out by the rock border that separated our yard from the Gluck's cesspool. The lilacs thrived and became magnificent. From these I tried to make perfume, way back in 1973, by soaking the flowers in vegetable oil. So profuse were the flowers that my friends and I would cut them by the armful and then lie among them as if characters in one of Shakespeare's pastoral comedies.

The memory of the place we took the cuttings is also very strong: the rolling green lawns meeting the blue of the bay, the purple and white flowering bushes against the purplish end of the day, "Good Vibrations" on the AM radio and for once my father didn't turn off the rock-and-roll station.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I love Yves Rocher Pur Desir Lilas, here is the link;
    http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control...oduct_id=41758
    I find it to be a wonderful scent and at only $11.00 on sale, a true value also.

Me too, i think thiw one is the closest to the real lilac i`ve ever smelled.

Pacifica French Lilac might be one to try, and an inexpensive choice.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I tried the Pacifica one a few weeks ago and was disappointed with it. Not realistic enough for me, a bit weak and short-lived. I also tried one by K. Hall last month but that one was screechingly harsh.

Edit: I seem to have had a lot of changes of opinion on this thread. With the Pacifica, I've noticed the scent and its longevity is best in the body butter. I got this for my mother and sometimes use it to give her a neck/back rub. The smell stays on my hands for hours afterward despite washing, and is very pleasant.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 21st August 2010 at 05:26 PM.

I tried the Pacifica one a few weeks ago and was disappointed with it. Not realistic enough for me, a bit weak and short-lived. I also tried one by K. Hall last month but that one was screechingly harsh.
    I tend to agree with you on the Pacifica. My impression was that it was more "air care" worthy. Some people seem to like it, though.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

L.A.M.B. by Gwen Stefani has alot of lily of the valley in it. Jessica Mc Clintock is a wonderful lily of the valley. I think Crabtree an Evelyn has Lily of the Valley and Lilac fragrances. I would also try a store that carries essential or perfume oils, sometimes that is the best way to get the fragrance of one singular flower as the dominant note.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kanasta View Post
    Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain is a pretty, simple scent with both those notes; mainly lily of the valley though.
    I've always wanted to smell this one, and never seem to see it at Sephora or anywhere for that matter.

How's the longevity kanasta?

-- Jack Kerouac

I just tried Jardin Clos by Diptyque, which was a watery floral with lilac and hyacinth - not as sweet as it sounds and I would like to try it on skin next time.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Penhaligons Lily & Spice is a nice muguet floral. Possibly Parfums de Nicolai Weekend a Deauville, if you don't find it soapy.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 4th June 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: emboldening

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Re: Lilia Bella, Mike, it's been discontinued for some time now. It has its followers but I found it had a weird asphalt-like top note that was off-putting. Longevity was average.

Edit: Since writing that, I discovered that I can avoid smelling the weird, sharp note by spraying on torso under clothing and letting the scent waft up. This also extends longevity considerably, as some gets on clothing. I've basically changed my opinion on this scent and now enjoy it quite a lot.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 21st August 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: change of opinion

Basenotes Institution

Re: Lilia Bella, Mike, it's been discontinued for some time now. It has its followers but I found it had a weird asphalt-like top note that was off-putting. Longevity was average.
    Weirdly, when I was at the Guerlain boutique in Palm Beach last year, the SA gave me an official Guerlain catalogue and inside listed is Lilia Bella. I assume that meant it was 'available' but maybe only in Guerlain boutiques ?

I will ask next time I talk to a Guerlain SA.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th June 2009 at 11:52 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

The Ineke lilac is the finest available. I've met nothing that compares.
    m

This might be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.soivohle.com/m.daybreak.violin.html (not affiliated)

It's really lovely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiori View Post
    This might be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.soivohle.com/m.daybreak.violin.html (not affiliated)

It's really lovely.
    That looks nice! Thanks for showing that. It's great you can have a decant size so reasonably. Very smart!

How about Parfums de Nicolai's Odalisque? Not a straight lily of the valley fragrance--the muguet is in a fresh bouquet with jasmine and iris--but certainly not sickly. A bit of green and a salty oakmoss accord balance the slight sweetness nicely. It's all I wanted to wear for several weeks this spring as everything was beginning to bloom in Maryland.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I did order the Highland Lilac of Rochester sample, which arrived today, and have been wearing it for some hours now.

It is, hands down, the best lilac fragrance I've smelled yet. My husband loves it too. The scent is very true to the flower, stays true (although the intense full rich sweetness of the first 10 minutes diminishes) and doesn't turn powdery. Definitely full bottle worthy IMO.

30 Roses, I have been so curious about this scent for a few years now, and thanks to your posts about it, I plan to purchase some soon.:wave:

Guess what I just ordered a sample of - Higland Park. Thank you everyone for your input. I love lilac, lily of the valley... they settle me.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Blog Entries

I'm inspired. I think I might get the Highland Lilac, too. I still have my sample. Here are some shots from my yard this year. Still trying out the macro lens.

Last edited by kumquat; 7th June 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's the inspiration for Highland Lilac. From this year's Lilac Festival, Highland Park, Rochester, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm inspired. I think I might get the Highland Lilac, too. I still have my sample. Here are some shots from my yard this year. Still trying out the macro lens.

Kumquat, those shots are stunning! Too bad I can't stick my nose on the monitor and smell them as well! I have a few lily of the valleys in garden but not all have bloomed....I wonder why?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Blog Entries

Thank-you. I don't know about L-o-V in Canada. It varies here, too. This year has been unusually cool, and we have had a lot of lovely gentle rain. It's been a great year for early flowers. I hope it stays like this and doesn't get super hot as it usually does.

I've noticed that L-o-V is green, dry & spicy. It's not a terribly sweet scent. That's how I would like my L-o-V frags to be, too!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love those photos! It would be delightful to take a trip to the festival-- we are only one state away-- but I am so allergic to lilacs.

We had many bushes in our yard when I was growing up, and each May found me sneezing-- especially when we filled vases with them (ah, but it was worth it!) However, I don't think Claritin would be effective enough to see me through a visit to the lilac festival. The perfume doesn't bother me at all, though, being synthetic.

So anyway, today I ordered a bottle of the perfume. Had a nice chat with the SA about what I'd read in the article in The Scented Salamander (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...hester_th.html.) It seems there are some errors in the article.

I was told that the fragrance formula is not tweaked each year to match the smell of the yearly harvest. There is just one formula. This makes sense to me since it is synthetic anyway! (And it means you can count on the bottle's smelling as good as the sample.) Also, unfortunately, they do not have a matching lotion or soap. Finally, the cost of the 1 oz. bottle is only $49.95 + 5.95 S&H and the sample is $3.99 + $2 S&H. The good news is they have an abundant supply of the perfume.

Blog Entries

30 Roses,

I'm so sorry about your allergies. In pre-Claritin days I knew someone who had to wear a breathing mask when azaleas were blooming. I hope you were never that allergic.

The articles in the paper here said that Highland Lilac gets tweaked every year to keep the scent constant from year to year. They didn't say local ingredients were used. I inferred that some natural ingredients from somewhere were used. Of course the size of the tweak goes to zero if it's all synthetics.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Dear daughter bought some deodorant she apparently didn't like, so it ended up in my stash. Boy, if it isn't the prettiest lilac (with a hint of Juicy Fruit): Sure Invisible Solid Fresh Scent.

Lately some of the deodorant producers have been selling body sprays to coordinate with their deo's. If Sure offered a matching spray, I'd seriously check it out because it's one thing to be spotted doing the Basenotes salute with arm to face and another thing to be seen trying to sniff one's armpit.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm in on the Highland Lilac too. Due to all the rain rain and more rain my lilac season was too short to satisfy my yen!

Also wondering if the Ineke scent would be a good purchase too. The bottle is calling my name.

I just got a sample of Highland Lilac. A really pretty lilac soliflore! Rather potent, so apply lightly.

A nice scent for a lady!

I had some of the plain old BBW lilac room spray in my powder room this past spring, and it smelled so close to the bush in my backyard that the scent blended seamlessly with the bouquet on the dining table...

It's cheap, so even if it's not perfect, it's at least worth a try! It's a little too floral for me to actually wear (like you, I wear more wood notes, but I do love the smell of the lilacs and lilies of the valley in my garden!) but I love having it around as hand soap or home fragrance.

I'd agree that the Yves Rocher Lilac is nice - & a bargain!

Lilacs here in my part of the UK are so amazing in April. I'm still looking out for the ultimate lilac scent & have been dying to try Highland Lilac. I sent them a number of emails asking if they deliver to the UK & they never even bothered to reply - until I sent a message deploring their rudeness. They don't deliver here :-(

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosamundi View Post
    I'm still looking out for the ultimate lilac scent & have been dying to try Highland Lilac. I sent them a number of emails asking if they deliver to the UK & they never even bothered to reply - until I sent a message deploring their rudeness. They don't deliver here :-(
    I was about to post that the Vermont Country Store also carries Highland Lilac but then after looking over their website I saw that customer service was open and I phoned to ask if they mail overseas. They said they do ship overseas but cannot ship perfume or cologne overseas because of post- 9-11 postal restrictions (on shipping of flammable products.)

Presumably this is the same reason Highland Lilac of Rochester won't ship overseas.

Bless you, 30 Roses :-) how kind you are to have enquired!

I don't know of any such restrictions - there are plenty of companies (such as FragranceX) who ship from the US. There are some different & more stringent regs about Germany, however; tho I'm not quite sure what.

Sometimes it is cheaper for me to buy certain European perfumes from the States; which seems a bit crackers!

30 Roses, thank you for investigating. I'm having a lot of trouble with the Highland Lilac website as I can't get them to ship to Canada! Maybe I should look into this Vermont shop.....
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

lovethescents,

Here is the link, and I just used live chat and learned they do ship perfume to Canada, per employee Donna H.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...5?evar3=SEARCH

By the way, how was your interview?

Excellent thread.
    Thanks to everyone w/ the Lilac suggestions.

I wore PdN Le Temps d'une Fete today...and realized there is a lilac quality to it. Initially, it starts green with galbanum and daffodil. Gradually, it morphs into a spring bouquet of daffodil and lilac, with a touch of spicy sweet william.

You've got a good nose!

I wouldn't know sweet william if it came up to me wearing a name badge at a convention.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 25th June 2009 at 12:58 PM.

Caswell Massey has a great Lily of the Valley and Lilac perfume. They smell exactly like the flower.

Blog Entries

Aqua Alegoria Angelique Lilas is a lovely mix of both L-o-V and lilac with the added gift of heliotrope! delightful! I had a bottle tucked away & just pulled it out to test.
    Notes are : L-o-t-V, Lilac, Pink Peppercorn, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang, Seville Orange, Jasmine

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I wore PdN Le Temps d'une Fete today...and realized there is a lilac quality to it. Initially, it starts green with galbanum and daffodil. Gradually, it morphs into a spring bouquet of daffodil and lilac, with a touch of spicy sweet william.
    I adore Sweet William, Asha! I did not detect it in the Le Temps, but I love the perfume, too. You do have a very discerning nose.