Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does a nice lilac scent exist? or lily-of-the-valley that isn't sickly?

The Ineke lilac is the finest available. I've met nothing that compares.
    m

Default Re: Does a nice lilac scent exist? or lily-of-the-valley that isn't sickly?

This might be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.soivohle.com/m.daybreak.violin.html (not affiliated)

It's really lovely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiori View Post
    This might be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.soivohle.com/m.daybreak.violin.html (not affiliated)

It's really lovely.
    That looks nice! Thanks for showing that. It's great you can have a decant size so reasonably. Very smart!

How about Parfums de Nicolai's Odalisque? Not a straight lily of the valley fragrance--the muguet is in a fresh bouquet with jasmine and iris--but certainly not sickly. A bit of green and a salty oakmoss accord balance the slight sweetness nicely. It's all I wanted to wear for several weeks this spring as everything was beginning to bloom in Maryland.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I did order the Highland Lilac of Rochester sample, which arrived today, and have been wearing it for some hours now.

It is, hands down, the best lilac fragrance I've smelled yet. My husband loves it too. The scent is very true to the flower, stays true (although the intense full rich sweetness of the first 10 minutes diminishes) and doesn't turn powdery. Definitely full bottle worthy IMO.

30 Roses, I have been so curious about this scent for a few years now, and thanks to your posts about it, I plan to purchase some soon.:wave:

Guess what I just ordered a sample of - Higland Park. Thank you everyone for your input. I love lilac, lily of the valley... they settle me.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Blog Entries

I'm inspired. I think I might get the Highland Lilac, too. I still have my sample. Here are some shots from my yard this year. Still trying out the macro lens.

Last edited by kumquat; 7th June 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's the inspiration for Highland Lilac. From this year's Lilac Festival, Highland Park, Rochester, NY.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm inspired. I think I might get the Highland Lilac, too. I still have my sample. Here are some shots from my yard this year. Still trying out the macro lens.

Kumquat, those shots are stunning! Too bad I can't stick my nose on the monitor and smell them as well! I have a few lily of the valleys in garden but not all have bloomed....I wonder why?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Blog Entries

Thank-you. I don't know about L-o-V in Canada. It varies here, too. This year has been unusually cool, and we have had a lot of lovely gentle rain. It's been a great year for early flowers. I hope it stays like this and doesn't get super hot as it usually does.

I've noticed that L-o-V is green, dry & spicy. It's not a terribly sweet scent. That's how I would like my L-o-V frags to be, too!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love those photos! It would be delightful to take a trip to the festival-- we are only one state away-- but I am so allergic to lilacs.

We had many bushes in our yard when I was growing up, and each May found me sneezing-- especially when we filled vases with them (ah, but it was worth it!) However, I don't think Claritin would be effective enough to see me through a visit to the lilac festival. The perfume doesn't bother me at all, though, being synthetic.

So anyway, today I ordered a bottle of the perfume. Had a nice chat with the SA about what I'd read in the article in The Scented Salamander (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...hester_th.html.) It seems there are some errors in the article.

I was told that the fragrance formula is not tweaked each year to match the smell of the yearly harvest. There is just one formula. This makes sense to me since it is synthetic anyway! (And it means you can count on the bottle's smelling as good as the sample.) Also, unfortunately, they do not have a matching lotion or soap. Finally, the cost of the 1 oz. bottle is only $49.95 + 5.95 S&H and the sample is $3.99 + $2 S&H. The good news is they have an abundant supply of the perfume.

Blog Entries

30 Roses,

I'm so sorry about your allergies. In pre-Claritin days I knew someone who had to wear a breathing mask when azaleas were blooming. I hope you were never that allergic.

The articles in the paper here said that Highland Lilac gets tweaked every year to keep the scent constant from year to year. They didn't say local ingredients were used. I inferred that some natural ingredients from somewhere were used. Of course the size of the tweak goes to zero if it's all synthetics.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Dear daughter bought some deodorant she apparently didn't like, so it ended up in my stash. Boy, if it isn't the prettiest lilac (with a hint of Juicy Fruit): Sure Invisible Solid Fresh Scent.

Lately some of the deodorant producers have been selling body sprays to coordinate with their deo's. If Sure offered a matching spray, I'd seriously check it out because it's one thing to be spotted doing the Basenotes salute with arm to face and another thing to be seen trying to sniff one's armpit.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm in on the Highland Lilac too. Due to all the rain rain and more rain my lilac season was too short to satisfy my yen!

Also wondering if the Ineke scent would be a good purchase too. The bottle is calling my name.
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I just got a sample of Highland Lilac. A really pretty lilac soliflore! Rather potent, so apply lightly.

A nice scent for a lady!
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

I had some of the plain old BBW lilac room spray in my powder room this past spring, and it smelled so close to the bush in my backyard that the scent blended seamlessly with the bouquet on the dining table...

It's cheap, so even if it's not perfect, it's at least worth a try! It's a little too floral for me to actually wear (like you, I wear more wood notes, but I do love the smell of the lilacs and lilies of the valley in my garden!) but I love having it around as hand soap or home fragrance.

I'd agree that the Yves Rocher Lilac is nice - & a bargain!

Lilacs here in my part of the UK are so amazing in April. I'm still looking out for the ultimate lilac scent & have been dying to try Highland Lilac. I sent them a number of emails asking if they deliver to the UK & they never even bothered to reply - until I sent a message deploring their rudeness. They don't deliver here :-(

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosamundi View Post
    I'm still looking out for the ultimate lilac scent & have been dying to try Highland Lilac. I sent them a number of emails asking if they deliver to the UK & they never even bothered to reply - until I sent a message deploring their rudeness. They don't deliver here :-(
    I was about to post that the Vermont Country Store also carries Highland Lilac but then after looking over their website I saw that customer service was open and I phoned to ask if they mail overseas. They said they do ship overseas but cannot ship perfume or cologne overseas because of post- 9-11 postal restrictions (on shipping of flammable products.)

Presumably this is the same reason Highland Lilac of Rochester won't ship overseas.

Bless you, 30 Roses :-) how kind you are to have enquired!

I don't know of any such restrictions - there are plenty of companies (such as FragranceX) who ship from the US. There are some different & more stringent regs about Germany, however; tho I'm not quite sure what.

Sometimes it is cheaper for me to buy certain European perfumes from the States; which seems a bit crackers!

Blog Entries

30 Roses, thank you for investigating. I'm having a lot of trouble with the Highland Lilac website as I can't get them to ship to Canada! Maybe I should look into this Vermont shop.....
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

lovethescents,

Here is the link, and I just used live chat and learned they do ship perfume to Canada, per employee Donna H.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...5?evar3=SEARCH

By the way, how was your interview?

Excellent thread.
    Thanks to everyone w/ the Lilac suggestions.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I wore PdN Le Temps d'une Fete today...and realized there is a lilac quality to it. Initially, it starts green with galbanum and daffodil. Gradually, it morphs into a spring bouquet of daffodil and lilac, with a touch of spicy sweet william.

You've got a good nose!

I wouldn't know sweet william if it came up to me wearing a name badge at a convention.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 25th June 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Caswell Massey has a great Lily of the Valley and Lilac perfume. They smell exactly like the flower.

Blog Entries

Aqua Alegoria Angelique Lilas is a lovely mix of both L-o-V and lilac with the added gift of heliotrope! delightful! I had a bottle tucked away & just pulled it out to test.
    Notes are : L-o-t-V, Lilac, Pink Peppercorn, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang, Seville Orange, Jasmine

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I wore PdN Le Temps d'une Fete today...and realized there is a lilac quality to it. Initially, it starts green with galbanum and daffodil. Gradually, it morphs into a spring bouquet of daffodil and lilac, with a touch of spicy sweet william.
    I adore Sweet William, Asha! I did not detect it in the Le Temps, but I love the perfume, too. You do have a very discerning nose.