Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien - a review

Are you guys familar with the smell of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo?

For the last couple years, I've been trying to figure out what the 'notes' are for this product, because I think it smells great. I rarely shampoo my hair (I have a buzz cut) so when I do wash it this shampoo (an affordable, easy to use product) does the job nicely. Plus it really smells wonderful. I'd describe the scent as a mixture of soft florals (honeysuckle and maybe mimosa) combined with citrus and a light ambery floral.

When I first tested Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien (from a sample - thanks Ruggles) I loved it. It took me a couple of minutes to realize it smelled like a high-end version of the shampoo.

The notes are: bergamot, cedrat lemon, citron, limette, orange blossom, rosemary, verbena, lavender, neroli, amber, benzoin and iris

The scent has a much more natural and softer effect to it - than the shampoo. There is less soap in the citrus / florals and the dryness of the citrus is bright and talc-like. Perhaps there is something sweet but I wouldn't call it vanilla...its more resinous and ambery. There is a hint of lingering iris in the base notes. Nothing wildly complex or innovative - this is not going to set any new paths in the world of perfumery.

Yet it evokes olfactory sensory experiences of comfort, cleanliness...a softness. A fresh laundered shirt (hot from the dryer) or a fluffy blanket that came out of your grandmothers linen closet. That smell that babies smell like, for a second, when you sniff their hair fresh from a bath.

The bottle is made to splash on, so that's how I apply mine and really sticks to my skin nicely. It's stronger and lasts longer than most of its peers (the Guerlains, Chanel and Hermes eaux colgones). I wear it when I'm needing some comfort (like I am tonight...since I'm fighting a throat cold) yet I also find it is a fantastic scent to wear after a day at the beach.

I was easily impressed by the superior packaging of Institut Tres Bien. The creme colored paper box is made of thick, smooth, heavy paper. The bottle is wrapped in white tissue paper, which is folded, pleated and held together by an adhesive logo on the very back of the bottle. Unfolding the tissue from a brand new bottle feels like you're opening up a present at Christmas. The black cap is heavy, glass-like, with a beautiful engraved embossing on the top. Details, details, details.

How sad to have heard that Institut Tres Bien has ended distribution - just as soon as I discovered this lovely fragrance.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 31st May 2009 at 06:57 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien - a review

I'm heading over to my local Duane Reade, NY's version of Walgreens, and giving J&J's Baby Shampoo a sniff and possibly a purchase. Cologne a la Russe always reminded me of something too, I couldn't put my finger on it, thanks for the insight.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st May 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm heading over to my local Duane Reade, NY's version of Walgreens, and giving J&J's Baby Shampoo a sniff and possibly a purchase. Cologne a la Russe always reminded me of something too, I couldn't put my finger on it, thanks for the insight.

Of course the CALR is a higher quality (since last nights application, I can still smell the iris base notes on my skin), but the top notes is where I sniff the similarity.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Anyone know why this house went under ?
    -