Code of Conduct

Default Honeysuckle or Magnolia?

Hi, everyone. I feel like this may have been discussed before in another thread but can't find it.

I've been taking my dogs on their morning walk along a one-mile stretch of river road thick with wild honeysuckle--a big, lazy, indolic scent a friend of mine has always called obscene. I forget each year how much I love it, until it blooms again.

I have never really explored honeysuckle perfumes. Any favorites ? Soliflores, or blends with a nice honeysuckle note? There are some obvious contenders by name alone but would love to know your top picks .

The rest of the neighborhood is all magnolia all day. Likewise: any favorites you recommend as a starting point for testing?
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Default Re: Honeysuckle or Magnolia?

Most of the honeysuckle and magnolia perfumes I've tried don't smell like real thing. Some smell nice, but just not the same. That said, Montale's Jasmin Full smells very much like wild honeysuckle. My husband pointed that out to me, and I think he nailed it.

p.s. We've got mangolias blooming all over now here in Virginia, and their scent is wonderful. I cut a couple for the dining room table the other night and it perfumed the whole room for a couple of days.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 1st June 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Blog Entries

I've been on the lookout for a realistic honeysuckle forever! The closest I've come is with a lotion I got at TJ Maxx this spring (I do have the matching body mist but it doesn't smell as good as the lotion, and is very weak in any case.) The lotion is Ann Taylor Orange Nectar Honeysuckle.

I've tried AG Chevrefeuille and it is simply not the same scent as the yellow honeysuckle I know. And Demeter's Honeysuckle is beyond awful. Smells like a bog.

30 Roses, now that you mention it, I have that Ann Taylor Orange Nectar & Honeysuckle lotion and body spray. I completely forgot about it. It's pretty nice. I also have a mini of Bath & Body Works' Wild Honeysuckle edt that a Basenoter sent me. It doesn't quite smell like honeysuckle, but it sort of reminds me of a citrussy Pleasures (I like it). It must be very difficult to get a true honeysuckle scent, rather like getting a true gardenia.

p.s. Nostalgie, why did I think you were in Britain?
    Last edited by lilybelle; 1st June 2009 at 05:49 PM.

I've not yet tried a honeysuckle fragrance, but I love Eau d'Italie's Magnolia Romana. On me, it's a green floral with a well-done aquatic touch. Here are the listed notes: Purple Basil, Lemon Leaves, Neroli, Nutmeg, Cypress, Magnolia, Bulgarian Rose, Tuberose, Lotus, Ozone, Aquatic Notes, Cedar, Hay Extract, White Musk.

I've not found a scent that smells like real honeysuckle in bloom. Also, I am growing two kinds of honeysuckle in my garden and even they smell different from oneanother

My understanding is that in many perfumes where honeysuckle is listed as a note, it is in fact a flower stem-note (Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille being the most obvious example).

And for my broken-record recommendation: I find that Summer by Kenzo smells like a fantasy honeysuckle; that is, its mimosa absolute note combined with the milky elements reminds me of how honeysuckle blooms smell like.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Most of the honeysuckle and magnolia perfumes I've tried don't smell like real thing. Some smell nice, but just not the same. That said, Montale's Jasmin Full smells very much like wild honeysuckle. My husband pointed that out to me, and I think he nailed it.

p.s. We've got magnolias blooming all over now here in Virginia, and their scent is wonderful. I cut a couple for the dining room table the other night and it perfumed the whole room for a couple of days.

I'm in Virginia, too, so you know the honeysuckle I mean.

I think I'm doomed to be surrounded with scents that never end up in a bottle!
    On the other hand I have totally unscented jasmine growng the back yard, which is another kind of disappointment.

Nukapai--two kinds of honeysuckle! Wow!!!!

The only kind I know is the stuff that grows like a weed here and looks like this:

Honeysuckle is one of my favorite floral scents!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I've not yet tried a honeysuckle fragrance, but I love Eau d'Italie's Magnolia Romana. On me, it's a green floral with a well-done aquatic touch. Here are the listed notes: Purple Basil, Lemon Leaves, Neroli, Nutmeg, Cypress, Magnolia, Bulgarian Rose, Tuberose, Lotus, Ozone, Aquatic Notes, Cedar, Hay Extract, White Musk.
    Sounds terrific! Thank you!

Jo Malone has Honeysuckle & Jasmine, although it's more a jasmine to me -- or maybe I'm not familiar with honeysuckles!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Blog Entries

The honeysuckle we have in CT looks like this (the mature flower is yellow):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

I have a yellowish-blossomed Japanese honeysuckle (invasive, grows all over the place around here, entwined into native hedgerows). I took some cuttings last summer and one survived the winter, so I've planted it near a trellis and hope it'll invade away

The other one is a glossy, green-leaved, white-blossomed kind, but no idea of the species. Bought it off the garden centre a while back. It flowered last year and died back quite a lot during winter, but it's happily making new, pink-toned buds again.

Blog Entries

Every time HS is listed in the notes I run the other way. The synthetic chemical for this is most unsatisfactory. I get a nasty plastic taste that ruins the whole frag for me.. Real HS is beautiful, light & sweet. It's the same with magnolia, which is quite sweet. Synthetic versions are always too sweet & cloying. I did not have a good reaction to L'Italie, but at least it wasn't uber-sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Every time HS is listed in the notes I run the other way. The synthetic chemical for this is most unsatisfactory. I get a nasty plastic taste that ruins the whole frag for me.. Real HS is beautiful, light & sweet. It's the same with magnolia, which is quite sweet. Synthetic versions are always too sweet & cloying. I did not have a good reaction to L'Italie, but at least it wasn't uber-sweet.
    It might not always be one synthetic chemical (and then again it might - for example Lyral by IFF - all I'm saying is that "it depends").

There are various traditional ways in which to create a "rose" or "jasmine" or "honeysuckle".

A traditional honeysuckle base might for example contain:

Bergamot, Jasmin, Rose, Ylang, Styrax, linalool, alpha-ionone, heliotropine, vanillin, methyl anthranilate, geraniol, phenylethyl alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I've not found a scent that smells like real honeysuckle in bloom. Also, I am growing two kinds of honeysuckle in my garden and even they smell different from oneanother

My understanding is that in many perfumes where honeysuckle is listed as a note, it is in fact a flower stem-note (Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille being the most obvious example).

And for my broken-record recommendation: I find that Summer by Kenzo smells like a fantasy honeysuckle; that is, its mimosa absolute note combined with the milky elements reminds me of how honeysuckle blooms smell like.
    I tested Summer over the weekend. I think it's going to be my favorite Kenzo. Don't know why TS gave it only 3 stars. I thought it was a 4 for sure. Very, very pretty.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I like the Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine, but I don't find it lasts very long - which from what Luca Turin says in his book seems to be a common problem with her perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    I tested Summer over the weekend. I think it's going to be my favorite Kenzo. Don't know why TS gave it only 3 stars. I thought it was a 4 for sure. Very, very pretty.

I think Summer is very nice (though ti meets neither my mimosa nor my honeysuckle needs.

I take it Kenzo Summer and Kenzo Eté are not the same? I've never tired Eté. Since it means summer I at first thought it was just the same thing...maybe not? I'll look it up. Doh! It is so confusing.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 2nd June 2009 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stellastar View Post
    I like the Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine, but I don't find it lasts very long - which from what Luca Turin says in his book seems to be a common problem with her perfumes.
    I have also been on the hunt for honeysuckle scents for a while now. If you like Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine, try Fragonard by Fragonard, it smells very similar to the Jo Malone to me but has way more longevity because it's parfum strength. Others I own which contain the honeysuckle note are Madison Soiree and Pure White Linen, but they're not soliflores.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I'm in Virginia, too, so you know the honeysuckle I mean.
    I do know the kind you mean, that's the wild kind that smells amazing. We have some kind of cultivated honeysuckle that previous house owners planted around the mailbox, and it's sort of yellowish/brownish, and I don't get much of a scent from it.

I'd love to find a magnolia scent. I think Hove perfumers in New Orleans do a magnolia scent. At least, my mother bought their magnolia scented soaps years ago. I'm in the mood to find something that smells like magnolia now, too.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd June 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chengfun View Post
    I have also been on the hunt for honeysuckle scents for a while now. If you like Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine, try Fragonard by Fragonard, it smells very similar to the Jo Malone to me but has way more longevity because it's parfum strength. Others I own which contain the honeysuckle note are Madison Soiree and Pure White Linen, but they're not soliflores.
    thanks for the tip, honeysuckle is one of my favourite flowers so I will have to check that out.

Fragonard by Fragonard is lovely; a close relative of Anais Anais, but fresher.

Lilybelle, that Ann Taylor thing sounds yummy! I always end up with drugstore-envy

Basenotes Institution

Diorella has a great honeysuckle to it . Love that one and also the Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Magnolia trees do not grow very well here in Kansas, so I'm not sure if I've actually smelled real magnolia, or just think I have.

I love the magnolia + honey in L'Instant.

Another one to try is Max Mara. Notes include: Ginger, Sap, Sicilian Lemon, Magnolia, White Lily, Orchid, Sugar Cane, Musk, Exotic Woods, Cashmere. I
    I've trademarked the color bleu