Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: June 2009 ~ Purchases

Picked up a bottle of My Insolence. This seems to be a love or hate scent. Well it smell great on me! I think it must work with your skin or not.

It reminds me of Flowerbomb, with tart raspberry on top.

It is lovely to be awaiting packages, isn't it? I am awaiting a package from Ava Luxe, containing Sweet Patchouli and Frangipani.

I am also awaiting a package from a BNer containing 1/2 bottle of Jicky in extrait. Too exciting!

The funny thing is that I am regarding this as a year of perfume restraint. Yet I feel that I must get Fire Island. I look at the bottles on ebay and just can't believe that that suspicion is worth the savings.

How do you tell when to buy and when to suspect on ebay?

Received Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente 100ml
    Bought a bottle of Keiko Mecheri Ume (thanks taolady for the introduction) and a bottle of CdG 888.
    Last edited by Coconut; 14th June 2009 at 03:38 AM.

i apparently missed the ava luxe coupon so no more AL for me this month... oh well...
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Blog Entries

Wow - It looks like we should rename this thread "June 2009 ~ Ava Luxe Purchases"...

I've only tried 2 so far - enjoyed one, hated one - look forward to trying more.

Anyway, today I bought:

Miller et Bertaux Green, Green, Green And... Green.

I was expecting a harsh pine forest with vetiver and spices and mint and just about anything green, but it turns out to be a very understated tea-esque bay leaf with some citrus and peppery resins. Quite beautiful, actually....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

From manicboy's sale thread, I received today his pre-loved 1oz bottle of Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily. I've been lusting after this for too long and had been trying to make my sample last. Now I don't have to!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Wow - It looks like we should rename this thread "June 2009 ~ Ava Luxe Purchases"...
    I thought you were going to say "we should rename this thread 'June 2009 ~ rogalal Purchases!' " SAs just love you, don't they?! I can't wait to go cruisin' the Union Square fragrance counters with you at the end of August!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution

I bought a bottle of Fracas from Sephora yesterday .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I bought my second bottle of Anglomania and a second bottle of Infusion d'Iris.

I also bought a small bottle of J'Adore by Dior. Not a lot of sillage on my skin. Pretty fragrance but does not last long on me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Exotic Coconut B&BW (so sad this is discontinued)
    Wild Hyacinth B&BW
    Warm Vanilla Sugar B&BW
    Sensual Amber B&BW (back-up bottle )
    7:15am in Bali by Kenzo
    Incredible Me by Escada (quite nice on)
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

On Saturday I went to a small privately owned perfume shop where they have the most unusual stuff.

I bought Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy for my SO.

The star buy though was Christian Dior - Dune extrait 50ml spray for ± $72

IMO - this concentration is easily wearable by a man

bought some Floris Gardenia - Gardenia sounds so exotic but this is horrid on me! So heavy I can almost chew it .... yuck!
    and some Lacroix Bazaar Femme, which is very light and pretty on me, but then I bought it for my mum to use when she comes to visit (she likes things sweeter than I do - she won't take perfume travelling much since the time the shampoo she'd packed in her shoe leaked).

Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose...

Kenzo Jungle L' elephant

I smelled it a few months ago and never forgot about it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I'm a baaaaad girl.

I was going to wait to buy the 1 remaining Chanel that I've wanted, but found out the free shipping ends on 06-21. So, I sucked it up and ordered 31 RC. Now, if only Chanel would consider bottling 100ml sizes! I know I'll use the bigger sizes of No22, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and 31 RC, but there is no way in hades that I would buy the larger size of any of the others. I would LOVE to get a smaller one of Bel Respiro, but that won't happen unless Chanel cooperates with me.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I can't believe that I am posting again to this question! I heard that Tiffany's was dropping Tiffany for women (they're not), so I bought a big bottle. And I can't get Mandragore EDP out of my mind (I tried it on a shopping trip with my daughter), so I bought that along with the lotion & bath gel. Plus, Yves Rocher is having a sale on their website, so I bought Iris Noir for 50% off. I'm proud that I passed up the Voile d'Ambre because I really want to try that. I need to stop now. The good folks at Basenotes made me do it! So much perfume...so little time (and money).

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    i apparently missed the ava luxe coupon so no more AL for me this month... oh well...
    There was a coupon???? I missed it too
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Hermes Hiris and Payard's Pistachio Ganache, courtesy of a lovely BNer!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I forgot to mention:

If anyone orders from Chanel, not only do they have the free shipping right now, but they give very generous 4ml samples (3 or 4) that are cute reproductions of the Exclusif's collection.
    Just so you know! The worth of the samples help take the edge off the sticker shock a bit.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I just received my bottle of Fire Island from FrangranceX. Good reduction, free shipping, and speedy delivery. Hooray.

Well I received a 20% coupon from Fragonard, I guess a lifetime of loyalty pays off. I needed to replenish my Miranda and Capucine, both of which thank goodness smell the same as always. They are also sending me 7- 2ml samples and 3 mystery gifts, usually towels or other lovely embroidered things. I probably should have ordered another bottle of Emilie, maybe later, I do love Emilie.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 17th June 2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Today my grandma got me 4711 Kölnisch Wasser - she's the sweetest. I think she got the idea from me having mentioned a vintage 4711 ad mural in the Frans Halsstraat, A'dam. It says: formerly a 4711eau de cologne factory. A friend of mine lives close by, and I happened upon it one day. Cute, no?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

This month is decants and samples, and I've violated my monthly limit already. Though I skipped last month's allowance. I think. So that's OK, right?

Decants:
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan
    Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale
    All three of these are second decants, the last prerequisite before I allow myself to consider a full bottle. Hmmmmm. (Wait. They're all teas, too, aren't they? Dang. That violates a different rule...)

Samples:
    Parfums de Rosine Ecume de Rose
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Frederic Malle Une Rose

Crayfish

Reading Gloria Vanderbilt's "approach" to perfumery made me want Vanderbilt, so today I bought 15ml EDT for 9€99... Don't blame me, blame society... Society made me do it...

I've been really conscious of my spending this month and actually sold 3 bottles -- and only bought a few samples. I also procrastinated sufficiently enough so missed a few sales (whew, that was a close call!)

So I went ahead and purchased some decanting supplies.

Although I've just gone in on a split of Shalimar parfum, so no, it won't be a month with no bottles.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Thumbs up Re: June 2009 ~ Purchases

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Just won a sealed bottle of the original (1950's) L'Interdit parfum, by Givenchy!!!
    You are fortunate. Givenchy started my serious perfume addiction. First "Le De", then "L'Interdit", then Givenchy III.....then I switched to the hard stuff-----Guerlain! There is nothing like the old Givenchy's, absolutely nothing. Beautifully transparent, wonderfully complex, completely wearable. Enjoy ! ! !

Basenotes Institution

I just received my order of Annick Goutal Songes from Rei Rien . I have only praise for this site. Very happy.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: June 2009 ~ Purchases

Mitsouko, L'heure Bleue, Jardin de Bagatelle, Amber Gris, Violette Precieuse, Vol de Nuit, Fendi, Encre Noire, and Arpgege Homme.

I just bought a bottle of Brezza di Mare. So excited!!!
    Last edited by Haunani; 19th June 2009 at 02:20 AM.

I think I forgot to post that I got one of Mr Guerlain's Vol de Nuit extraits

Other purchases this month were decants and samples from TPC.

In june I purchased 5 bottles of Theirry Mugler Pure Malt, I got one bottle of Pure Coffee for free (for purchasing so many Pure Malt). I also purchased 2 bottles of Canali Black Diamond. My wife just bought me a bottle of Boucheron Paris Jaipur from France. She also bought me Narciso Rodriguez Essence from France as well I also purchased another Lacoste Essential at a fantastic price (30 dollars). Also I purchased another Narciso Rodriguez limited edition for him (the silver bottle) and I got a free full sized after shave spray as a gift, the 100ml. Also another Gucci By Gucci pour homme and the aftershave. I now have two bottles of Gucci by Gucci pour homme and two of the aftershaves. So that was:

5 bottles of Pure malt
    1 bottle of Pure Coffee
    2 bottles of Canali Black Diamond EDP
    1 refillable bottle of Boucheron Paris Jaipur EDP
    1 bottle of Narciso Rodriguez Essence
    1 Lacoste essential
    1 limited edition bottle Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    1 Narciso Rodriguez 100ml after shave splash
    1 bottle of Gucci by Gucci Pour homme
    1 bottle of Gucci By Gucci after shave
    Last edited by Maz24; 19th June 2009 at 07:22 AM.

I ordered some perfumes and body sprays from Bathed and Infused (their 40% off birthday sale ends Sunday!) I ordered mainly summery or fruity scents plus a sugar scrub in Cake Batter.

Hoping to finally quell my strawberry crave, I ordered two strawberry-heavy scents: Strawberry Fluff and Fresh Strawberry.

Also:
    Cherry Limeade
    Flip Flop
    Last Lady on the Beach
    Beach Sandals
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I bought Hong Kong Garden from Ava Luxe, on sale.

I received my Bigelow order today! Mimosa pour Moi and Asoluto! And the MpM is the 100ml bottle! Oh Rapture!

Blog Entries

I purchased a 1.7 and 2.4 cu. ft frostless refrigerators for my expanding fragrance collection. Oh no, I'm not addicted to this hobby.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 20th June 2009 at 05:29 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I purchased a 1.7 and 2.4 cu. ft frostless refrigerators for my expanding fragrance collection. Oh no, I'm not addicted to this hobby.
    WOW ! You're giving me ideas ! Congrats !

I ordered a 1 oz bottle of Fleur Blanche from Ajne.

Bought L' Artisan Tubéreuse. Not the most interesting tuberose scent I have but if you don't want it too strong and a little fresher it works pretty well.

And I bought jasmine oil ( 5% pure jasmine oil rest was other oil) ylang ylang oil and rosewood oil. Fun to see if I can make a nice mix otherwise the jasmine can go on me without anything else.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I bought a bottle of Lavanila Pure Vanilla -- a very nice straight up vanilla (will have to bug Grant to add this line to the directory -- it bugs me somehow when the bottle I own is not there!)

Basenotes Plus

Mahora EDP 75ml from eBay
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution

Kess and lovethescents- sign up for the Ava Luxe newsletter on www.ava-luxe.com so you will get the next AL coupon .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st June 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah. I've been wanting this one for a long time now.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Caswell-Massey Jockey Club, Cuba Blue, Balenciaga Homme, Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca, Givenchy Greenergy all in transit to me
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Kess and lovethescents- sign up for the Ava Luxe newsletter on www.ava-luxe.com so you will get the next AL coupon .
    thank you so much for this :bounce:

Mini of EL Beyond Paradise parfum, EL Pleasures Delight

Have you ever been to Hondos Center in Greece?
    I always find something nice. This time I got home with Encre Noire and Le Parfum by Lalique. I still have Encre Noire, but have already sold Le Parfum (nice, but not very special on my skin)
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    thank you so much for this :bounce:
    Glad to help ! I actually resisted buying anything myself from AL this time ( though very tempted ) - I have tons of perfume to get through.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd June 2009 at 04:48 PM.

This month I have been SOOOOOOO bad!
    In my defence, I have sold a few bottles and I'm swapping a couple for a backup bottle of Bulgari Black, which I can't live without.
    But it's sale times and oh my, I can't resist. So today I bought 30mls Prada Tendre for 30CHF, so that was a bargain, no?
    And I am now the proud owner of pre-loved bottles of Louve, Cuir Amethyste and Premier Figuier, each of which I love. Plus a couple of minis fell into my hands while I was in the UK - Burberry The Beat edp (very nice!) Prada original (hmm, hence me snapping up the discontinued Tendre today) and some Burberry men's minis.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah. I've been wanting this one for a long time now.
    Oh, my, I love that one. I have two small samples but a full bottle is definitely on my to-buy list. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Glad to help ! I actually resisted buying anything myself from AL this time ( though very tempted ) - I have tons of perfume to get through.
    I, unfortunately, did not resist. My package came today: White Lilac, which so far is lovely, and another bottle of Viva.

A Guerlain said to be not in keeping with the house's vaunted reputation: Champs Elysees.

This is nothing I'd have worn in dismal, rainy climates, but in the swamp it blooms. And it makes me wonder about the perception of reputation relative to the fits and starts of trying to keep au courant. CE doesn't measure up to Jicky or to Vol de Nuit as an intellectual (or even romantic) exercise, but does it need to? This type of expectation only leads to disappointment, as happens with a band that uses its next album to experimentally (and cautiously) address the modern marketplace and fails miserably because the sound is less than organic, less rooted in deprivation.

Twenty years down the line, however, you realize that certain elements were quite good, taken out of context. Not a masterpiece, not by a long shot, but fully as addressing the generalized rules of the era as anything else. CE can therefore be compared not with its family of origin but with Jontue or any other drugstore-type floral of that decade (or trend). CE borders the blowsy but is saved by a soapishness that doesn't add lather but cleanliness.

One of the easier-to-wear almond (blossom) scents, IMO. No toothpaste note.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Oh, my, I love that one. I have two small samples but a full bottle is definitely on my to-buy list. Enjoy!
    Thanks, Leesee! It's delightful, isn't it? Those de Nicolais are really nicely done.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I got a mini Sabi, I got a mini Sabi. [Sings and dances around office chair.] :bounce:

I bid low and lost the auction on ebay, then got a "second chance" notice, and jumped on it. Just $10 for 5ml mini, and that includes the shipping.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Purchased a nearly full Jour de Fete bottle, hope it arrives safe and sound.

I bought Kate Moss EdT today. I soooo needed that one. Not.

Basenotes Plus

It's my birthday today and I received the following gifts:

Vol de Nuit Vintage Parfum 7.5ml
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Dirty English
    Insolence EDT Limited Edition 50ml

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Oh wow, congratulations on those birthday presents, Libertine! Fabulous!!!! I am particularly envious of that vintage Vol de Nuit extrait. Someone loves you a LOT!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

When I was in New York, I swore I was only going to spend $50 on fragrances (a gift from the in-laws). Yeah, right.

On the other hand, it could have been worse, with all the temptations in front of me.

I bought:

- Estee Lauder's Private Collection Jasmine & White Moss after one sniff. It's absolutely beautiful.

- the small roll-on version of AG Matin d'Orage.

- a small bottle of a Memoire Liquide I "mixed" myself (with the help of RHM). It has white flowers and bergamot tea notes and is yet to be named.

Looks like I will be adding to my sales thread to try and make up for some of the overage.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    It's my birthday today and I received the following gifts:

Vol de Nuit Vintage Parfum 7.5ml
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Dirty English
    Insolence EDT Limited Edition 50ml
    Happy Birthday Libertine- someone was a lucky guy today !

Basenotes Plus

Thank you very much!

Wordbird - The VdN was from my very sweet boyfriend It smells absolutely amazing!

Demeter Gingerale, for $8, and MAC Naked Honey, for $28!

Am seriously considering an offer for Chergui at $100 CAD......

Lucky libertine! A very happy birthday to you.

Late Friday I returned from Paris. I didn't get to follow all of my intended perfume agenda, as I was accompanied by two lovely friends, each with different plans, and we all wanted to experience the city together. Good thing, though, because I may have spent all my food & other fun money on fragrance! Or, I would have visited SL multiple times more and gone home with 8 bell jars instead of 3! Serge Lutens was my favorite perfume shopping of all. Anyway, I managed to come home with a variety of things:

At Serge Lutens - Cuir Mauresque, Encens et Lavande, and Borneo 1834, plus (!) a gift freebie refillable travel atomizer of Ambre Sultan
    At Galleries Lafayette - Givenchy Vetyver and Eau de Givenchy
    At Parfums de Nicolai - Le Temps d'Une Fete and Sacrebleu
    At the Airport Duty-Free - Guerlain Vol de Nuit Evasion

I know I can buy a few of these here, but I was it was hard to organize my thoughts and sightseeing/shopping agendas, so I purchased 'in the moment.' And Paris will still be there if I want to go back, right?