Code of Conduct

Default What is White Musk?

I feel stupid asking a question like this, especially when there are presumably online resources with this type of info, but I am having difficulty finding any at the moment. I am no perfumer or chemist and don't have much knowledge of the goings on, on a purely structural part of perfumery, but I am pretty sure I understand enough about musk in general to know what it smells like and I have a decent enough idea of where it is represented in nature. White musk on the other hand, I have never smelled something similar in nature so I guess my question is, does white musk exist in nature or was it made up in perfumery? Does anyone have any info?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st June 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: What is White Musk?

Fairly certain white musk merely means synthetic musk, as I believe you cannot use true animal musk anymore? Perhaps they chose the name white musk as the connotation for white is innocent.

As far as I know, white musks are purely synthetic in origin, having no natural counterpart.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Fairly certain white musk merely means synthetic musk, as I believe you cannot use true animal musk anymore? Perhaps they chose the name white musk as the connotation for white is innocent.
    Only some synthetic musks are white musks; those that smell clean (hence the term "white" in the name).
    Last edited by surreality; 1st June 2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

No, I know that they are synthetic, but white musk lacks the animalic or dirty characteristics of normal musk. I assume most musk used in perfumery currently is synthetic but it is supposedly representing the smell of natural musk. White musk however, smells often times like soap, and I'm just wondering what the origins of white musk is. I guess what I'm wondering is are there naturally occuring musks that smell "clean". If so, that would explain the whole white musk note in perfumery. If not then it's just a marketing tool created by the perfume market.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st June 2009 at 08:59 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Here is what Wikipedia says in its article on white musk:

White musk, in the perfume industry, refers to a group of synthetic molecules that replaces natural, animal musk. The formulas and the names of these synthesis are varied, like fixolide, habanolide, galaxolide or ambrettolide. The first synthetic musk was discovered around 1890, and there are still new types being created. White musk brings clean, musky, skin notes. It can also be described as notes of blackberry, ambrette or ambergris.

And in the article on musk:

Since obtaining the deer musk requires killing the endangered animal, nearly all musk fragrance used in perfumery today is synthetic, or called "white musk". They can be divided into three major classes — aromatic nitro musks, polycyclic musk compounds, and macrocyclic musk compounds.[2] The first two groups have broad uses in industry ranging from cosmetics to detergents. However, the detection of the first two chemical groups in human and environmental samples as well as their carcinogenic properties initiated a public debate on the use of these compounds and a ban or reduction of their use in many regions of the world. Macrocyclic musk compounds are expected to replace them since these compounds appear to be safer.[
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 1st June 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I guess what I'm wondering is are there naturally occuring musks that smell "clean".
    There are flowers and seeds that have musky scents (devil's bouquet, ambrette seed) that are less dirty than animal derived musks but aren't as clean as the synthetics.
    Last edited by surreality; 1st June 2009 at 10:00 PM.

If you've smelled some of those "white musks" synthetics quoted in that wikipedia article (I happen to have vials of musk ketone, habanolide, ambroxal, and galaxolide) - they smell clean like a laundry soap (at least in Anglo-speaking countries)

Clean musks are where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Clean musks are where its at.
    I agree my friend. I'm in love right now with Gendarme, Silver Musk, and Mure et Musc Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I agree my friend. I'm in love right now with Gendarme, Silver Musk, and Mure et Musc Extreme.

Likewise. I'm going to have to try Mure et Musc Extreme

I dont agree with the statment that the musk dear is always killed only to get the true musk. From what I have heard this only happens in illegal poaching but there are musk deer farms in China that produce musk and the deer are not killed.

There is also a possibilty that white musk may reffer to the second or third infusion of the same musk pods ie. the first infusion produces a darker musk and second and third produce a lighter color musk.

Did you hear that from the Chinese government? "Our deer are special happy and alive, just like everyone living in harmony in China."

^ Made me chuckle

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by abubakr_al-misky View Post
    I dont agree with the statment that the musk dear is always killed only to get the true musk.
    China is known for horrific animal cruelty towards 'bears' to extract their bile...I doubt if they'd treat the deers any differently...

mtg, I think your intuition of the industry creating a "white musk" category is plausible. The laundry soap musk smell does not smell natural--it smells like an accord of sweet musky notes with florals and soapy aldehydes.

Oh come on...
    Let`s stay away from politics and nationalities in the thread about White Fuzzy Musks!
    Any hunting or poaching is cruel as it takes lives or parts of bodies from animals.

white musk is easy to define when to look on the product. it`s clear liquid or white crystals
    So I`m quite sure about red and black musk being red/black. And some undecent people counterfeiting true (and very rare) red musk using white musk mixed with red paint. please beware!
    Vetiver The Great!!!