Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Non-offensive Classics

Equipage - Hermes
    Etienne Aigner no.2
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

A Day Dream

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think the least offensive classic is 3rd Man by Caron. I get complimented pretty much every time I wear this. It is soooo effortlessly classy and smells great in almost every situation imaginable.
    No disrespect my fellow BNer, but I find Carons ( this one espcially along with Yatagan) to be extremly offensive. 3rd Man for me is just too sweet and "perfumey". But I am happy it works for you ( different strokes for different blokes )

That "classic" (whatever that means) somehow equates with "offensive" is an entertainingly daft idea to begin with. Assuming that by "classic" we mean a scent that endures in critical respect and/or popularity or is recognized as an outstanding example of its fragrance genre, then classic scents encompass a vast number of styles, each of which has a varying potential to offend certain individuals. For instance, classics of extreme or unusual character (Kouros, Yatagan, Eau d'Hermes) or great potency (A*Men, Fracas, Knize Ten) may have more potential to offend than understated or conventional classics like Eau Sauvage, Acqua di Parma Colonia, or Givenchy Vetiver. (That said, I'm sure someone will respond that Acqua di Parma Colonia makes them nauseous.)

With that out of the way, here are a few (men's) scents that I think of as classics and seem unlikely to offend any but the most irritable of noses:

Eau Sauvage
    Eau de Guerlain
    Acqua di Parma Colonia and Colonia Assoluta
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Monsieur Balmain
    New York
    Héritage (?)
    Green Irish Tweed

...and a few that I imagine could more easily offend:

Knize Ten
    Muscs Koublaï Khan
    Eau d'Hermes