Code of Conduct

Default running out of prada amber pour homme.

now, this one is really something special for me, as it really got me into better scents. after years of wearing shit like adidas, cool water and other abominations, i got into a bottle of amber pour homme and it was the start of something nice (and pricey). so, as i run out of my faithful 1.7 ouncer, i'm wondering what to move up to in this same style/family of scent?

basically, i'm asking what's a "better" version of this scent if there is one? thanks a lot for you guys' help

eric b

Default Re: running out of prada amber pour homme.

Prada Amber is a pretty unique scent if you ask me. The closest thing to it that comes to mind for me is Daim Blond, because they share similar suede accords overlain with sweet notes. The two aren't that similar, but you might appreciate Daim Blond as a more elegant fragrance with a similar feel.

Edit: You know what, just buy another bottle of Prada Amber, it's great stuff and it's hard to outdo with another scent in the same category of luxurious and smooth soapy sexiness.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 2nd June 2009 at 03:16 AM.
    Sales thread here

yeah, i certainly am not opposed to that idea. i was just kind of wondering/hoping if there is a step up in that genre, ya know?

eric b

If Prada Amber is an amber-centric scent (which I'm guessing by the name...) then I would definitely give Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan a sniff - the more I smell it the less I get "sweet vanilla amber" and the more I get "incense-y amber". Possibly also Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain.
    - E.J.

i really wouldn't know if it's heavy on the amber or not, as i'm still very green to all this. i do have a sample of amber prive on its way, though.

eric b

Amber pour homme is an incredibly misleading name, as it doesn't seem to contain much amber, at least not to my nose. Amber pour homme and Ambre Sultan smell NOTHING alike. To be honest, I have yet to encounter a niche scent that smells like the Prada, so my advice is just to get a new one.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

You could always try the Prada limited line--I can't remember what it is called, though. They make a line of fragrances in the same vein as Chanel Exclusifs, and some BNers really like them.

The two soapiest niche scents I have tried were Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Khan and Le Labo Musc 25. Also, Helmut Lang is quite soapy, and some soft vanilla which is a large component of the amber accord.
    Last edited by Asha; 2nd June 2009 at 04:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: running out of prada amber pour homme.

Prada Ambre is very unique. I like it as well. Get a larger bottle of it and enjoy.

First of all, what is it about Prada Amber pour Homme that you like so much? If we knew that we might be able to make better suggestions.

If it is the leathery notes underneath a citrus top look not further than Habit Rouge EdT..

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The two soapiest niche scents I have tried were Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Khan and Le Labo Musc 25. Also, Helmut Lang is quite soapy, and some soft vanilla which is a large component of the amber accord.
    MKK soapy ???
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post

MKK soapy ???
    Yes, very. When I tried it, on my skin it was castoreum over top of an incredibly soapy white musk. Quite jarring, to say the least--I sure was not expecting a white musk in the base.

Prada Amber doesn't smell of amber, its a myhrre scent and it is very unique. There really isn't any niche that's close - maybe iPdF Myhrra but that's much more bitter. I'd stick with the Prada -it's great stuff.

Blog Entries

Funny, I just tried Prada Amber pour Homme for the first time tonight at Sephora and brought home a sample. It is indeed very unusual. I've been trying to figure it out all evening. Yes, there's isn't anything at all in the way of amber. I don't really get much myrrh or incense either (and I love incense), but there is definitely an herbal earthiness from the patchouli and vetiver that might give this a head-shop vibe. It also has a distinct soapy aspect, but it's not overwhelming because there's so much going on in this juice. I think it's the cardamom that makes it so unique. Something almost like anise or tarragon, but not really (maybe in between the two). Definitely uniquely spicy and comforting; it reminds me of baking. I also get the soft suede note that is in Daim Blond. Daim Blond is definitely worth checking out if you like this, but they're otherwise not that similar, they're just both lovely and incomparable (DB is the essence of fall weather to me). PApH is much more floral, and there's an odd sweetness that DH described as "bubblegum." That came out more on his skin than mine. Anyway, if I had to put my finger on something, I'd say what makes it special is the unique and aromatic cardamom weaving with the earthy patchouli and vetiver. The florals and soapiness are right there too though, balancing perfectly.

p.s. Violet-flavored candy! That's what the slightly bubblegum-y, soapy florals remind me of! I know there's only the florals neroli and orange blossom listed in the BN pyramid (I wish I'd written down what it says on the bottle-- yes the notes are actually stamped onto the metal top of the bottle), but try as I might I don't actually get them at all. It just seemed 'floral'. But now I've had an a-ha! moment and realized it reminds me of violet-flavored candy (which is pretty disgusting btw). And curiously enough, violet is the color of the juice.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 2nd June 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I get a ton of sweet myrrh in the drydown of Prada. If you've smelled the essential oil, I think you'll pick up the note - although it is further sweetened with a vanilla/tonka note and some kind of soapy clean musk.

I wouldn't say this smells just like Prada Amber, but it has the same feel and texture and even a somewhat similar progression - I am talking about Bois de Turquie by Maitre Perfumer et Gantier. It starts out with a moment of citrus followed by a light cinnamon, orangeflower, and bay laurel combination that smells smooth and creamy and almost like cream soda without the fizzy effervescence (although it doesn't smell like flat soda, either...hard to explain! ). This progresses to a cool and smooth heart of geranium and orris - the orris being smooth and round and suede/leather like. The bay laurel is still around, too, so you get a slightly spiced but smooth and cool leathery note.

The base of this also has a sweet note that is vanilla like without ever smelling just like vanilla, and a healthy dose of myrrh. The base gets richer and a bit more resinous, without ever being "heavy" like most orientals. Just like Prada Amber it is thick and dense but not ostensibly heavy or overbearing.

While the phases are different than Prada Amber (the opening phase of BdT being the most different), the overall "texture" and progression of the scent is quite similar and the ending is quite similar.

That being said, I think Prada Amber is a 5 star scent and a true masterpiece. I plan on having it AND Bois de Turquie in my wardrobe (they are definitely different enough to warrant owning both). Give Bois de Turquie a sniff though - just be sure to get a spray sample if you get one as it is a fairly light scent and dabbing wont do it justice at all!

Anyone who likes Prada Amber (and/or Infusion d'Iris, as the heart of BdT is kind of a combination between the heart of IdI and the base of Prada Amber) and likes the aroma of cream soda really should check out Bois de Turquie. This scent deserves a lot more praise as it is wonderful stuff. Refined, light but with good longevity and sillage, and goes through a ton of evolution. One of MPG's finest - and proof that Jean Paul Millet-Lage is a worthy successor (albeit with a different style) to Jean LaPorte.

edit: An_Oud_Girl - that bubblegum like note is primarily provided by the myrrh. Some myrrh essential oils dry down to something quite similar!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd June 2009 at 10:01 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Ah, thanks SOS! Sweet incense, eh? Sounds weird; I'll definitely have to look for some myrrh eo!

I just read the pyramid notes at NST (quoted from the Prada website) and they mention geranium. Geranium is also a note in Laura Mercier L'Heure Magique (an otherwise unremarkable fragrance). I get a slight minty-ness in that scent which I thought might be the geranium. I get it here too, but I had ascribed it to the cardamom. Is geranium somewhat minty?

(Apologies to the OP for veering a little off topic.)
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Geranium is aromatic - not exactly minty but more like aromatically green with some rose nuances (more or less depending on the species of geranium). I never picked up geranium as a note in Prada Amber - I'll sniff for it next time. Honestly, with Prada amber I never tried to fully deconstruct it outside of figuring out what was causing that bubble gum like note (which used to be more pronounced on me, now, thankfully it is less so!).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Can anyone say if this is a good one to spray on clothing? I find that some fragrances smell better on clothes than on skin since the topnotes last longer. Is this one mostly good because of the drydown?
    Last edited by Ronin; 2nd June 2009 at 11:32 AM.

I found D & G By (discontinued and unfortunately hard to find) and Mugler Cologne to have 'similarities' with Prada Amber Homme, however despite the small similarities they are still quite different. There are alot of other similar soapy scents you can explore, like the already mentioned Mugler Cologne, Infusion d'Iris & Infusion d'Homme, among others.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

for the record, on the metal plaque on the bottle it says:

resine de labdanum de france, feuilles de patchouli d'indonesie, cardamome de guatemala, safran de espangne et daim.

eric b

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    for the record, on the metal plaque on the bottle it says:

resine de labdanum de france, feuilles de patchouli d'indonesie, cardamome de guatemala, safran de espangne et daim.

eric b
    Thats the 'notes' of the fragrance; to decipher it, labdanum, patchoulli, cardamom and saffron. You could also search for these specifically on basenotes, which may yield fragrances containing the same notes.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I get a ton of sweet myrrh in the drydown of Prada. If you've smelled the essential oil, I think you'll pick up the note - although it is further sweetened with a vanilla/tonka note and some kind of soapy clean musk.

I wouldn't say this smells just like Prada Amber, but it has the same feel and texture and even a somewhat similar progression - I am talking about Bois de Turquie by Maitre Perfumer et Gantier. It starts out with a moment of citrus followed by a light cinnamon, orangeflower, and bay laurel combination that smells smooth and creamy and almost like cream soda without the fizzy effervescence (although it doesn't smell like flat soda, either...hard to explain! ). This progresses to a cool and smooth heart of geranium and orris - the orris being smooth and round and suede/leather like. The bay laurel is still around, too, so you get a slightly spiced but smooth and cool leathery note.

The base of this also has a sweet note that is vanilla like without ever smelling just like vanilla, and a healthy dose of myrrh. The base gets richer and a bit more resinous, without ever being "heavy" like most orientals. Just like Prada Amber it is thick and dense but not ostensibly heavy or overbearing.

While the phases are different than Prada Amber (the opening phase of BdT being the most different), the overall "texture" and progression of the scent is quite similar and the ending is quite similar.

That being said, I think Prada Amber is a 5 star scent and a true masterpiece. I plan on having it AND Bois de Turquie in my wardrobe (they are definitely different enough to warrant owning both). Give Bois de Turquie a sniff though - just be sure to get a spray sample if you get one as it is a fairly light scent and dabbing wont do it justice at all!

Anyone who likes Prada Amber (and/or Infusion d'Iris, as the heart of BdT is kind of a combination between the heart of IdI and the base of Prada Amber) and likes the aroma of cream soda really should check out Bois de Turquie. This scent deserves a lot more praise as it is wonderful stuff. Refined, light but with good longevity and sillage, and goes through a ton of evolution. One of MPG's finest - and proof that Jean Paul Millet-Lage is a worthy successor (albeit with a different style) to Jean LaPorte.

edit: An_Oud_Girl - that bubblegum like note is primarily provided by the myrrh. Some myrrh essential oils dry down to something quite similar!
    This is such a wonderfully nuanced and astute account of the fragrance. I found myself nodding at every juncture. SculptureOfSoul you really ought to review more fragrances.

BTW, the predominant musk many detect in this fragrance is Nirvanolide®, the same musk which underpins the accords of Marc Jacobs for Men.

With respect to the original question that started this thread: the assumption, as far as I understand it, is that there is a niche equivalent to Prada Amber Pour Homme that is superior, "a step up in that genre" as you say. First, I think that's a false assumption, even a false dichotomy, as I have argued elsewhere and numerous times. Second, as far as I am concerned,
    there isn't a niche equivalent that is superior to Prada Amber Pour Homme as others have already pointed out. In fact, I think Prada's more "nichey" Infusion d'Homme is decidedly inferior. My advice is to save yourself money and time and stick with what you like. You won't find anything in the current morass of trite and perfunctory niche offerings that comes even close to the complexity and refinement of Prada Amber Pour Homme so wonderfully described by SculptureOfSoul.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 2nd June 2009 at 02:15 PM.

wow... I thought I was alone in my love for Prada Amber but clearly I'm not. I've long thought it was both underappreciated and unrecognized for its uniqueness. It's one of those scents that would be heralded had it come from a niche house. Its one of the only scents for which I own all the body products. Btw there are many deep discounts on bottles on ebay.
    Last edited by shermanirving; 2nd June 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Just re-buy Prada Amber duder, there isn't really anything like it. Just make sure you pick up a 3.4 oz!