Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Tuesday 2 June

Good morning!

Another day in lovely EdPFM En Passant for me.

Enjoy your day!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 2nd June 2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 2 June

Bulgari - Black which earned several compliments from my colleagues today!

Cool morning, perfect for a Vetiver

Happy in delicious Le Labo Vetiver 46

Update: I sprayed a tiny bit of Djedi extrait (Vetiver, oakmoss, amber, leather) next to Le Labo's Vetiver.
    Breathtakingly beautiful.....Earth mother.....

Happy Birthday *and* retirement to Fred, Mr. Haunani

Have a great Tuesday (even though it feels like Monday to some of us in Europe)

Last edited by Riannon; 2nd June 2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Update
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Thumbs up Re: SotD Tuesday 2 June

Jean - Claude Ellena's
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning everybody I know what you mean,Riannon:Today defenitely feels like a monday! It was hard getting up,so I postponed it for as long as I could.For this grey and rather cold day I needed some Chergui.Enjoy your day all!

Yep, feels like a Monday to me, too.
    Hard for Big to go back to work today after 10 days off, bless him.
    Must make something nice for tea. (What, I wonder? Hmm. Cookbooks...)

Beautiful sunny day here and having just discussed the filth-o-rama potential of various beloved fragrances over on the hilarious 'trailer park hooker' thread, I am tempted by L'Air de Rien, Bulgari Black and Bal a Versailles, just for peversity's sake. But Ava Luxe's No 23 is sitting there, calling my name. Oh, what shall it be????

[later]
    Well, in fact it's Molinard de Molinard. I was doing some decanting as I am posting two parcels today and wanted to slip a few other things in, you know, as you do. And Molinard de Molinard is such a little cracker that I often send a dab to friends. Voila! Perfect for a sunny day.

FYI, my 76 years-old Mam came in while I was squirting things into vials and sniffed appreciatively. "Mmm, smells like a perfume shop in here! Can I have a squirt of that one?" Narcisse Noir! "Are you sure, Mum? it's a bit of a powerful one" And then I remembered: this is the lady for whom I bought Fleurs de Rocaille, thinking it would be perfect to wear to church, and while she liked it, and does wear it to church, she swiped the bottle of Shalimar neither I nor my best friend is woman enough to be able to wear with confidence.

So I'm in Molinard de Molinard and Mum is in Narcisse Noir. Small had a spritz of Fragonard's Miranda because 'it smells like coconut soap', which is her current favourite. It goes perfectly with the lilac and puce fairy outfit her Nana has helped her to put on.
    Today's trip to the supermarket is going to be a riot, I can tell.
    Have a lovely day, all.
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 2nd June 2009 at 10:52 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

Scent twins with Coconut in Bulgari Black

Take care, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Already sprayed on Le Dix before reading these posts and wish I hadn't because it just doesn't feel 'right' today. Ineespenes has the right idea with Chergui! It's cold and raining and I've got a runny nose (I know, I'm hot) and that Lutens desert wind would definitely dry everything up :-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Haunani-just noticed the good news; all the best to your husband! I hope you have loads of fun together as this exciting new chapter in your lives unfold. Let the games begin!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

The Word Family out for groceries in their Tuesday finest of Molinard de Molinard, Narcisse Noir and Miranda. I want to be following that crew around the market.

The calendar says its still spring and the weather says its still spring but darn it I want some heat!! I know be careful what you wish for.

Wearing a new acquisition via scentemental:

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum/Helmut Lang Woman

In 2000 Helmut Lang had Maurice Roucel create two scents for each gender Helmut Lang Man and Woman. In reality they were two different strengths of the same scent with Man being the eau de cologne version and Woman being the eau de parfum version. It is curious that a brand like Helmut Lang which was known for its androgynous clothing designs actually made an effort to gender classify their signature scent. It is equally curious why he chose M. Roucel to design these scents as his scents have a lushness to them that also seems to be the antithesis of the Helmut Lang design aesthetic. Especially since these two scents are really only different in their emphasis on certain notes I find that I prefer the Eau de Parfum version as it has a strength to it that appeals to my aesthetic. The top starts out with a soft entry on a wave of florals dominated by jasmine and lily. This is a fleeting short-lasting top as the real business of this scent takes hold as musk and rose hold sway in the heart. This combination reminds me very much of Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan as it contains many of that scents deeper muskiness without the intensity present there. The base of this is a creamy mixture of vanilla and woods including sandalwood mostly but joined by some cedar to add some clearly defined lines to the woodiness. Helmut Lang EDP is mostly about musk, on me, and it comes off light and appropriate for daily wear. Where I would never think about wearing Muscs Kublai Khan into the office I happily wear this one. Does that make Helmut Lang EDP, Muscs Kublai Khan Light?

Have a Tender Tuesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Caron Pour Un Homme.

Top Notes: Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon
    Middle Notes: Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood
    Base Notes: Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

So great to see everybody this morning! ♥

I'm wearing Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess, from a sample that I received last year (was it?) with an EL order. I didn't care much one way or the other for it then, but I'm liking it very much this morning. The sweetness of the coconut is cut by the citrus, and the woods are not harsh but soft and manageable. Definitely a scent a man or woman could enjoy, and perfect for this weather. It's cool in the mornings, and intensely hot and sunny in the late afternoons. I already have the beginnings of my farmer's tan on my arms.

Enjoy the day!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd June 2009 at 11:44 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Gendarme this AM. Wearing this I feel like I should be on patrol somewhere in Paris.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Me three on the Chergui love! Chilly, grey day today - was the perfect pickmeup. And a stranger told me I smelled good - which never happens!

Hi everyone
    another coolish day here
    so I'm sporting
    Hypnotic Poison
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Yesterday I vowed to myself that I would spend the week in Attrape-Coeur, so lovely it was, so wonderful I felt in it. Yet I woke up today in the mood for....Venus Sands. Go figure. The moods and whims of a perfumista.

Happy Birthday and retirement, Fred !
    Wordie- God bless Small !
    Love that outfit. you all smell FINE today !

Not much rest during Prom Night- J called at 2:30 am, to say that he'd be home 'later', LOL.
    So it goes...
    They looked great and had a blast.
    Nice girl.

It feels more humid, and warmer- so I'm getting out while I can.
    Today's scent is Aurelien Guichard's 2008 remastering of Azzaro- Couture.
    the notes do NOT do it justice.
    Per OzMoz:

Members’ ratings

Rate it Add to album Azzaro Couture 2008 by Azzaro
    Created: 2008 For: Women type: Chypre - Floral
    Overview
    Story
    Description
    Pyramid
    Range
    Bottle
    An elegant evening gown of a fragrance In 1975, Azzaro launched the perfume Azzaro Couture. In 2008, the French house is re-launching the fragrance, but not without having first re-orchestrated it. Vanessa Seward, the house’s artistic director, chose to update the original’s floral-chypre signature by bringing it a touch of clarity. In a similar fashion, the once-black bottle has veered to white. The result is elegant, sophisticated and gentle. At selected points of sale.
    Refillable Eau de Parfum 2.5 oz.; Refillable prestige Eau de Parfum (spray bulb atomizer) 2.5 oz., Eau de Parfum refill 3.4 oz.
    The floral-chypre signature flaunts five absolutes: mimosa, May rose (hawthorn), iris, ambrette seed and galbanum. The fragrance also possesses a light, fruity-spicy cassis tonality. Perfumer: Aurélien Guichard, Givaudan.

You’ll recognize the ‘link-bottle, teardrop bottle’, originally based on a Dali painting. But here it has gone white, and the cap is graced with Swarovski crystals.
    top notes
    Galbanum, Spicy Notes, Blackcurrant Notes

heart note
    Rose, Mimosa, Jasmine, Iris

base note
    Patchouli, Amber

This feels tart, juicy, then ambery- and never quite loses that dual nature.
    I'm extremely fond of it; it is a true original- unfortunately, not really easily available.
    In Boston, only NM carried it...

Be well, dear ones.

Apres L'Ondee

Beautiful day to everyone!

Chaya, Azzaro Couture is one of my newest favorites. Love that slight mango-ish note in there. Does it great without being too sweet or fruity.

I am wearing Bois Des Iles today, in celebration of finally ordering a FB from the Chanel site. Finally, all Exclusifs are released. Yay. Now if they can only sell a smaller size.....
    I would love to get several of these, but not in the huge bottles, although I don't mind buying the big ones for BDI, RC31 (next purchase), CdR and No22.
    $100 would be reasonable for smaller versions of 28 La Pausa, No18 or Coromandel.

Last night I went to bed in Chinatown., and wore Bal a Versailles in the afternoon. Hubby went to bed in AP Amber Soie. He likes this very much.

Ya'll have a stressless, scentful day :wave::wave::wave::wave:
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Institution

Wordbird- bet you both smell great today ! Thanks for sharing !
    I'm in Chergui today .It's just yum - I also spend lots of time deeply sniffing my arm when I wear Chergui .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

"What the heck" it's Chergui for me too!

kbe, you smell sooooooo fresh!

I started out in Eau des Merveilles again, but after smelling the downstairs neighbours delicate combination of wet dog and rotting laundry in the hall, I was in dire need of refreshment. Hiris it is.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'm out the door in Midnight Violet. This day called for something special, as it's my husband Fred's birthday AND his last day of work. I'm excited for him! It will be a year or two, though, before I get to participate in the retirement life. Thank you for the good wishes -- I will pass them on to my favorite Gemini!

Many congratulations to Mr. Haunani!

Gap Heaven again, today.

Bond No. 9
    BLEECKER STREET

Caron Pour Une Femme

Happy Birthday and Retirement to "Mr. Fred Haunani!"

Testing AL Nude Musk. It starts off with a big dollop of citrus and then dries to a scent that is similar to my thus-far-favorite AL musk, China Pearl. Very nice, very nice indeed.

Have a great day, everyone!

Basenotes Institution

By Man by Dolce & Gabanna (first time from a sample)

The hype about this discontinued gem is warranted - it's lovely stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

* Many happy returns of the day and congrats to Mr. (Fred) Haunani! Please try not to drive your Dear Wife crazy by remodeling too many things at home simultaneously.
    * Hugs and thanks to "the WordBirds" (Wordie, Small, and Mama Word) for the fabulous visual and olfactory images of today's grocery shopping and scent adventures!
    * Chaya, I now have to add Azzaro Couture to my "test list" - ARGH!

General waving and support at everyone...

I'm trying to generate some warmer weather via my SoTD choice, which always seems to smell big and blowsy (in a good way) to me: Lalique by Lalique EDP

Lalique notes:
    Mandarin, orange blossom, magnolia, cedar, oak, warm vanilla.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Dipping into a collection of fruities sent by Musse, I'm wearing Britney Spears Believe -- stunned to find it pretty darn pleasant for this ilk.

Carry on, my aromatic army!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Still in Odalisque and today I got a compliment at work.

Today I am so happy to test L'Heure Bleu.

First started with Hadrien Absolu..
    then tested Chanel's beautiful 28 La Pausa

.. and now in need of a serious cool-down again with the first mentioned
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jour de Fête today!

Aqua Allegoria Pampelune - haven't worn this in ages, forgot how much I love it!

L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, a bit of incense to cleanse the soul (well...)

Starting the day with OJ Frangipani

Hugs & best wishes to Haunani and Haunani's Hubby on this big day - happy birthday and also congratulations on the retirement! Wearing the plumeria in honor of you (just imagine that they are lei instead!)...

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Safran Troublant today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Perfect summer weather here today, hot and sunny. Scent twins with RainDropSparkle in Ormonde Jayne Frangipani.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I started out in Eau des Merveilles again, but after smelling the downstairs neighbours delicate combination of wet dog and rotting laundry in the hall, I was in dire need of refreshment. Hiris it is.
    I hear you! Some awful no-sense-of-hygiene-whatsoever-guy has moved into the flat next to us. We share a hallway. I swear, he lives ENTIRELY on curry and pot noodles and NEVER CLEANS. He sometimes leaves dirty socks and trainers outside his door. The hallway now reeks. We've got to sell this place soon; I'm plotting various things from burning wax tarts to DDT before people come to view the property.

I've been wearing Lush's Gorgeous face moisturiser overnight and the smell of orange blossom seems to be everywhere. This morning I reached for Dior's Escale à Portofino and how lovely and refreshing it was!

Spent the whole day gardening couple of days ago and the things I've planted, fed and pruned are already lifting their heads up and doing well. Lots of new blooms and brightness out there! Somehow Escale is going well with the gardening. I feel that my grandmother may have had some kind of smell-alike cologne that she must have worn at our summer house. (She did enjoy a bit of 4711, Blue Grass and Oscar de la Renta).
    Last edited by Nukapai; 2nd June 2009 at 07:53 PM.

Hermès
    UN JARDIN SUR LE NIL

Blog Entries

Hi all!

Today I'm trying my first test of a Parfumerie Generale, their semi-new Louanges Profanes.

This one started out pretty odd, but got nice.

The opening smelled like menthol and something vaguely aquatic - the closest thing I could compare it to are those big blue sore throat lozenges, or maybe Aim gel toothpaste.

After about an hour, a strong baby powder came in over the weirdness, eventually bringing the blue menthol to an end.

The menthol strangeness was replaced by a peppery bread note, still under the heavy powder.

Eventually, the pepper subsided and some light florals came in.

For the last few hours, this has basically smelled like L'Heure Bleue with powder on top and a bit of flowers peeking through the powdery haze (by the way, though this isn't really my style, this part smells beautiful...)

Recommended for L'Heure Bleue fans who want something more powdery and feminine, who are willing to wait through an hour of completely unrelated and strangely masculine topnotes...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I cant believe how hot it is here for the 2nd of June! The temp keeps going between 97 and 98. We could make 100. This is like Aug. Happy retir-B.D. to Fred! SotD is Eau de Lalique. I Love this in hot weather!!!

W (Banana Republic)
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Just a touch of Bois d'Hiris in the heat.

Received some new Guerlain samples, so switched this week to a Guerlain sampling week (sorry, Ava Luxe!). Wore Parure in the morning, and switched to EL Amber Ylang Ylang in the afternoon.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

New Yorkers (and Connecticutians, etc.), hope that you will be able to meet me later in June for some sniffing: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t-229621

Happy birthday to fellow Gemini Mr. Haunani, and congrats as well!

SotD: Vanilla Galante ( to Mrs. Haunani). Very interesting so far. Like most, I get only the slightest hint of vanilla. Instead, I get mostly lily, a bit of salt, just a touch of ylang (no banana here), and a note that I identify with cucumber seeds (also present, albeit more strongly, in Apres le Mousson). This one will bear several tests before I can make up my mind.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Prompted by the thread on honeysuckle, today I wore Jo Malone's Honeysuckle and Jasmine

Burberry for Women today. Might add some Dior Homme later!

Update: I did indeed try on some Dior Homme. It's not really that similar to the Burberry. It is very powdery and feminine though! Too girly for me, which is odd for something calling itself "homme"!
    Last edited by rem_dreams; 3rd June 2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Wore Parure in the morning, and switched to EL Amber Ylang Ylang in the afternoon.
    hmm, that layering was a mistake! mossy candyfloss??
    Last edited by kess; 2nd June 2009 at 11:00 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    I cant believe how hot it is here for the 2nd of June! The temp keeps going between 97 and 98. We could make 100. This is like Aug. Happy retir-B.D. to Fred! SotD is Eau de Lalique. I Love this in hot weather!!!
    I hear ya, ChantillyLace. It has been hot as blazes in my corner of our state. We had high winds today so that helps a little, but not enough.

Mr. H! Happy retirement! (hope he doesn't make you too nuts...)

Checking in quickly from conference week.

Stephanie de Saint Aignan - Beribades.

Dang this stuff's pretty. Love knowing I smell good.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

SotA: FM Une Rose, thanks again to the lovely Haunani.

I'm in love! At first, I thought, hmmm, rose soliflore, kinda like Serge's. Then the "winey dregs" kicked in. Plus a little mushroom/truffle vibe. Might have to look into a split for this one.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

OK, I hope I don't get a slap for corrupting one fragrance or the other...but...

A couple of hours ago, I tired of the OJ Frangipani that I started the day with...so I used what I had in the office (alcohol, baby wipes, etc.) to rub off what I could...and then dabbed on a bit of C&S Rose that I had handy in my purse.

You know - the C&S Rose over the OJ (not completely removed!) is weird but quite nice! I'm becoming quite enamored of what I think is patchouli "done up" with florals.

Weird but quite nice - some people describe me like that, too! LOL

Back to work...
    Last edited by RainDropSparkle; 2nd June 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarification

I started the morning with Bvlgari au the Vert and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much staying power on me. When I got in from work, I went with Dammuso by Profumi di Pantelleria...which isn't sticking around all that well, either. I wonder if the humidity is wreaking havoc?
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Chanel Gardenia for me today. I haven't worn it in awhile- so nice to rediscover things you love.

Eau de new York by Bond No.9
    Gary

Burfday present!!!

(That's Pamplelune, SMM.)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Good evening all, sorry I am late to the fragrance party, mama was in rare form today; I could use a glass of cognac, maybe 2.

Wordie, you and the family smell lucious, all in some of my favorite yummies.

Chaya love, no worries, J is a wonderfully responsible mensch. Give yourself credit for raising that boy right, he had a nice time I am sure and a safe one also.

Happy birthday to Mr Haunani and a wonderful retirement for you both to enjoy.

I started the day in Charles Jourdan Votre

I am now finishing the day in Fragonard Emilie

Love and hugs for all
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source