Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 2 June

I've mostly been in Chanel no. 19 for the past few days. It never fails me.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

SotD today was Chanel Eau de Cologne, profusely applied. It was the perfect citrus for today--fresh but not piercing or harsh. The sweet musk drydown was also a welcome calm in the afternoon.

SotN is Vol de Nuit extrait. The more I think about it, the more strange VdN seems--but I love it! Dustry green top notes which feature galbanum, resting on a bed of floral nectar (not sure if it is jasmine, but it has a narcotic and slightly indolic jasmine vibe) and a smoky vetiver which pokes out before the vanilla base takes over.

Aloha to all. It's evening and my SotE is an extra spritz of Midnight Violet. Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes for Fred! He had quite a day! I think we might join you for that glass of cognac, Brielle.

Guerlain
    HABIT ROUGE
    eau de toilette

Blog Entries

Hi again, everyone.

A too-late-and-no-one's-going-to-read-it post for my SOTE:

Montale White Aoud.

While I can't say I'm in love with it, my little sample of Black Aoud has become something of a staple for me. Its mix of oud and rose is so simple yet so perfect (like port with chocolate or pasta with tomato sauce - the mix becomes greater than its parts). Aoud Lime disappointed me by cutting the rose and giving the oud too much room to get ugly. White Aoud is also missing the mark for me.

The top was oud, but really toned down. Its medicinal ferocity was squashed by huge doses of powder, while there was barely a rose to be seen. The oud then basically faded, leaving Montale's weird powdery super-sweet but somehow not very gourmand vanilla marzipan base that turned me off of some of their non-oud selections. There's some flowers here, but it's more of a loukhorn (spelling??) effect than a real floral.

So, all in all, this shapes up to be Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream fragrance with some oud just to keep it from smelling too edible or, you know, good...

Recommended to people who don't like oud but want to try something with it, just to see.

Or people who don't like gourmands unless there's something sort of rubbery and gross in it (A*Men or Bulgari Black fans, maybe)
    Last edited by rogalal; 3rd June 2009 at 05:08 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Hi again, everyone.

A too-late-and-no-one's-going-to-read-it post for my SOTE...
    I read it, Rogalal! Interesting review. I'm relieved to cross that one off my "must try" list.

Thanks!

After a hot and sweaty day I think I'm going with salty beach roses!

Gres ~ Cabaret

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to Mr. Haunani!

Today I wore Chanel' Cristalle Eau Verte. Strange day, I was cold in the morning and dressed accordingly, then I came out of the office around 2:00 pm and it was HOT!

My SOTE is Holy Water from La Via del Profumo, very calming fragrance. I am loving it!

I like Nuka's new avatar. Great picture.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I read it, Rogalal! Interesting review. I'm relieved to cross that one off my "must try" list.

Thanks!
    Thank you for reading!

And I think that review came off a little meaner than I meant it to...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Back from Spamalot! It was GREAT! John O'Hurley was in the starring role, and the Lady of the Lake was Merle Dandridge, who was the final LotL on Broadway before the show's close.

I wore DK Chaos.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous