Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge - is it really for dandies?

Habit Rouge has often been referred to as a "dandified" fragrance - it has the requisite powderiness and floral notes that are often characteristic of a dandy's fragrance. But is it really? When you wear or smell HR, do you think of Scarlet Pimpernel, Beau Brummell, or other uptight fops? I don't. I think HR is far too bitter and orangey to elicit that kind of image. When I wear HR, I think of sitting in the hot, dry sun, sitting by the beach in the Cote d'Azur, drinking a tall cold glass of Ricard.

Do you think of Habit Rouge as a "dandy's" fragrance?

P.S. I'm not looking to get into some big discussion of what a "dandy" is - that was already beaten to death in another thread. For the purposes of this thread only, when I say "dandy", I'm referring solely to a guy who is very formal, uptight, vain and overly concerned with his own appearance.
    Last edited by shamu1; 2nd June 2009 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: Habit Rouge - is it really for dandies?

I do not see Habit Rouge as being exclusively the domain of a dandy. I see it appealing to any man who is comfortable in his own skin, and is able to enjoy the fragrance based on its own merits. Many men will see it as being too effeminate for their own wardrobe, but still admire its construction.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 2nd June 2009 at 02:07 PM.

No, I don't consider HR a fragrance for dandies.

And offtopic but you might want to read up on Brummell, and especially Ian Kelly's "the Ultimate Dandy", before calling Beau Brummell an uptight fop...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Sur la Plage

No, I don't think so.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

HR is for anyone who likes it, regardless of demeanor
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Not exclusively "dandy".

I think it has something do with a certain "refinement". For example: The image you evoked ("sitting in the hot, dry sun, sitting by the beach in the Cote d'Azur, drinking a tall cold glass of Ricard") might not be so far away from the dimension of sophistication/refinement also attributed to a dandy.

- - -

I often think of Luca Turin, although I don't remember precisely his words. Habit Rouge for him was signature of a gentleman with interests in history (or biography?). And then the pun: It would not affect positively his sexual reproduction. Haha.

HR is for everyone. No matter how many times a wear it I'm always impressed. I love that period when the citrus melds into the leather/patchouli/vanilla - I call it the 'Habit Rouge accord' and it's totally unique.

I don't wear it so....no

It's a scent perfectly suited for dandies, but not exclusively so. No reason why those with other personalities can't enjoy and wear it.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I do not see Habit Rouge as being exclusively the domain of a dandy. I see it appealing to any man who is comfortable in his own skin, and is able to enjoy the fragrance based on its own merits. Many men will see it as being to effeminate for their own wardrobe, but still admire its construction.
    You stated my opinion of HR perfectly. I've always looked at HR as a fragrance that is extremely refined and elegant, to the point of being almost effeminate in some ways, but is perfect for a guy who is very comfortable with his own masculinity and therefore can pull it off perfectly. It's not a fragrance for an insecure guy who feels he must always prove to the world how "macho" he is at all times, how he eats nails for breakfast, etc..

Dandy .... what a load of old *ollocks

I think you summed it up nicely in your intial post

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Not exclusively "dandy".

I think it has something do with a certain "refinement". For example: The image you evoked ("sitting in the hot, dry sun, sitting by the beach in the Cote d'Azur, drinking a tall cold glass of Ricard") might not be so far away from the dimension of sophistication/refinement also attributed to a dandy.

While that may be true about what some people view as "dandy", for the purpose of this thread, I was talking about a very particular type of dandy - the Scarlet Pimpernels of the world (though I'm not sure there are too many of those left anymore). What I'm saying is that Habit Rouge just doesn't put that image into my mind at all.

- - -

I often think of Luca Turin, although I don't remember precisely his words. Habit Rouge for him was signature of a gentleman with interests in history (or biography?). And then the pun: It would not affect positively his sexual reproduction. Haha.

I have to disagree with Turin's comment. I've read posts in other fragrance forums from women who think HR is very sexy and manly.

I don't believe in matching fragrances to certain styles or occassions. It's perfectly fine to wear something heady, extravagant and sophisticated while scrubbing the bathroom and shopping for groceries or at the opera. Or something really simple.

I'm not exactly a macho man, but I still love and wear strong and masculine fragrances with character. Sometimes contrasts make things a bit more interesting, no?
    Last edited by tott; 2nd June 2009 at 02:22 PM.

I agree that variety is definitely the spice of life. I enjoy wearing Mazzolari Lui and Yatagan just as much as I do Habit Rouge. I just see a lot of overly macho guys (usually guys who think fragrances are for sissies) thinking Habit Rouge is only for wimps.

Not necessarily for dandies, in fact the original Guerlain Vetiver and Muchoir de Monsieur are far more "Dandy" scents

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I agree that variety is definitely the spice of life. I enjoy wearing Mazzolari Lui and Yatagan just as much as I do Habit Rouge. I just see a lot of overly macho guys (usually guys who think fragrances are for sissies) thinking Habit Rouge is only for wimps.
    Where do you see this? Do people really care? I've been in the fragrance 'world' since high school and I've never had a conversation about connecting scents to specific personalities or the incompatability of such. I've had many discussions about what scent matches what social scenario, but as far as I've ever known anyone can wear any scent without worrying it doesn't match their personality. If one lacks self confidence such that they worry their fragrance doesn't match their persona, it's the lack of self confidence that's the problem. not the fragrance.

Someone told me, upon smelling HR for the first time, that it's the scent of a rich grandfather. Take from that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've got to agree--I don't see this thought around and I don't see anyone arguing that HR is for wimps on this thread. This looks like another "straw man" argument thread. No one is arguing the position you set out as preposterous, Shamu1.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

To me, I did find Habit Rouge a bit dandy-ish initially. I didn't feel comfortable wearing it when I was younger and slightly androgynous. What changed? I got a few more years under my belt and started working out (got more muscular) and now I feel like Habit Rouge suits me.

I just think Habit Rouge tends to greatly accentuate whatever your underlying aura is.

I don't necessarily think it is for dandies, however, it does have a dated feel to it IMO, that makes it uncomfortable for me to wear anymore. But, no, I don't find it for dandies exclusively. I think anyone that enjoys classic frgrances would find this enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I've had many discussions about what scent matches what social scenario, but as far as I've ever known anyone can wear any scent without worrying it doesn't match their personality.
    Well, maybe not personality but I definitely think it'd be a bit strange if a sixteen year-old blond girl with blue eyes wore Opium. Just to give an example.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have loved and used HR for over 20 years, still do, and i am not a Dandy.

However, i fully appreciate why a Dandy would select HR as part of his repertoire
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

Dandy no, "dated" agreed. my regret was not giving this scent more time to grow on me before selling it off. Now im finding it hard to source for locally at a good price. the malls i go to often seem to sell out fast on vetiver and HR even shortly after having them restocked

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I just think Habit Rouge tends to greatly accentuate whatever your underlying aura is.
    I like this statement. A lot.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Can someone please hook me up with a sample of this? I can't believe I still haven't tried it!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I think of HR as a decidedly masculine scent and never perceived it as anything other than a man's juice, be that man a dandy, a machoman, or anywhere in between.

Yes I do think a Dandy would wear a fragrance like Habit Rouge, I also can see a bohemian wearing it.

Great definition - rich granddaddy or old former heartbreaker. I believe that Elvis (if he is alive now) would wear it for sure.
    dated classic, citruses going to powdery sweet benjoin will fit better to those who choose classic elegant look.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Thumbs up Re: Habit Rouge - is it really for dandies?

I do not know if HABIT ROUGE is for dandies or not. But for sure HABIT ROUGE is an aristocratic perfume
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Fragance is fragrance and marketing is marketing.

I know that Vera Wang's "Princess" was marketed as a young girl's fragrance (with its very girly lavender, heart-shaped bottle topped with a gold-toned tiara!), but many "older" women ended up buying it.

I admit buying fragrance because of the bottle or the name, but in the end, it's the fragrance one wears.

When I think of the name of Habit Rouge, I think of those sporting prints/paintings from the mid-19th century of men in their top hats and hunting boots riding to their hounds.

After all "habit rouge" refers to "red outfit" of the official hunt. Yes, it does have aristocratic associations of lords (and French "milords") having fun on their acres and acres of property.

In terms of scent, however, I agree with tott in that fragrance is worn when you want to smell nice--for yourself or others--be it working in the yard or house, or a night on the town, or an elegant dinner at a fine restaurant.

I like Habit Rouge on a man. (I also like YSL Opium Pour Homme.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Cool Re: Habit Rouge - is it really for dandies?

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    Yes I do think a Dandy would wear a fragrance like Habit Rouge, I also can see a bohemian wearing it.
    And I picture an aristocrat yawning on the steps of the guillotine.

HR is cool sophistication.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Wore it today for the first time this year and it was "fine and dandy". Then again, some people regard me as a "dandy" just because I always have fragrance.

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy, Yankee Doodle do or die.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy, Yankee Doodle do or die.
    Not to forget Paul Hogan as "Crocodile Dandy".

I don't THINK I'm a dandy...
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265