Code of Conduct

Default Best men's frags under $25

I've just became interested in fragrances. What are the best men's fragrances under $25? What position do they occupy in the fragrance wheel?

Default Re: Best men's frags under $25

Use the search function. I've seen a couple recent topics about cheap drugstore type frags. From what I've tried, Cuba Gold is a $4 substitute for Le Male, Adidas Victory League is good, depends on what you like really. Check your local Marshall's/TJ Maxx/ Ross for cheap frags.

Generally it's best to find bargains in this range through online shopping, which might mean blind buying for you (which I enjoy but many others here think is too risky).

Since your location indicates you're in the United States you can make regular visits to the shelves of Marshall's or TJ Maxx stores, and follow the "spotted at Marshall's" thread here.

Otherwise, you might run a search for "inexpensive scents" "drug store scents" "cheapos" or other terms like this--we've had several threads on the idea and many members have offered their thoughts on these. Maybe some other members can remember good search terms to pull up these threads.

To give a quick answer, I think Quorum by Antonio Puig is a fantastic scent and is about $10 for a 100ml bottle, but many members dislike it.

If you're going to check online sellers I'd say take a look at Molinard products for men, they're of superior quality, reliably good and long lasting, and not risky. Rafale, Madrigal, and the Homme I, II, and III series are worth looking into. I think they all still come cheap online.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

You can find Rive Gauche pour Homme online for < $25.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dirty English is available at Marshall's for $20. It's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Use the search function..
    That's just bad form. ..

Why do people, especially newbies, have the need to tell others to use the search function? Granted there are other threads that mention inexpensive fragrances, but the turnover on BN is high enough where if you rely solely on the archived threads you might miss out on some good advice.
    Last edited by surreality; 2nd June 2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Since your location indicates you're in the United States you can make regular visits to the shelves of Marshall's or TJ Maxx stores, and follow the "spotted at Marshall's" thread here..
    This is a good suggestion, but only if you live in a bigger city. The closest Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Ross, for me, is over 200 miles away, and is the case for many of us who don't live on the coasts.
    Last edited by surreality; 2nd June 2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    This is a good suggestion, but only if you live in a bigger city. The closest Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Ross, for me, is over 200 miles away, and is the case for many of us who don't live on the coasts.
    That's certainly true. I was just trying to help out.

If there's a shopping mall you can visit you might find a Perfumania shop, which often has scents cheaper than elsewhere and has further sales on their supply too.

Also some shopping malls have L'Occitane stores too, and their prices can sometimes be under $25. I can't remember for certain though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

My advise is:
    First you go to your Macy's, Sephora or Nordstorm or some mall that sell fragraces at your place to try out some fragrances (try on the test strip first, then try the ones that you think you might like on your skin, maximum 3 fragrances each time, wait at least 8 hours to get the whole experience/development of the fragrances) - trust me this will take weeks to find out which ones you really like.

So let's say you find the particular fragrance that you like then go to your local TJMAXX, Marshall or go to online dealer (I only trust Amazon.com, the ones that "shipped by and sold by Amazon.com") to see if it's available at your affortable price.

Personally I never pay full price for a fragrance (about $75 I think). I did get the Hugo Energise for $23 or Lolita Lempicka au Masculine Fraicheur for $26. With a budget around $25, you can get a lot of designer stuff like Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, etc.

And one more thing, there's no best fragrance out there. There is only the one that suit you best and you feel good wearing it. I encounter many fragrances that too expensive and considered a masterpiece by many people but to me they're just a waste of time and money. So IMO, in the fragrance world, especially for you or me - 3 months ago, I say new comers, your opinion is the most important opinion . But do consider the fragrance reviews here though, they'll help you spot out which one you should try first.

Ah, do not buy blind (buy without trying on your skin and let the fragrance develop for at least 8hrs) or you'll regret it, big time.

Hope you'll find your fragrance soon

I shit you not....Perfumania in my town (Eugene, OR), has been trying to unload Rive Gauche PH Gift sets (Case, 4.2 Oz, and body gel) for $15 bucks! The gift sets were recently on sale and went down to $12 for everything.

The girls who work at my Perfumania dont seem to like Rive Gauche PH, and dont sell it very hard. I know them pretty well and they offered me the gift sets at $12 for the first one, and $6 for the seccond.

I now proudly own 8.4 Oz. of RG (and a rapidly shrinking 2.5 oz bottle), purchased for $18....DAMN!

Will I ever use it? No, but for $18 bucks I still feel like a winner.....
    Last edited by Bigsugarman; 2nd June 2009 at 08:17 PM.

this site offers free shipping...

Azzaro Chrome - http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Lalique Ph - http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Moschino Uomo or Freinds : link to uomo http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Ungaro III - http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

+ many more....

the best way is to browse thru such web-sites and then cross check on basenotes for feedbacks..least thts wht i used to do and am doing and will keep on doing
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd June 2009 at 09:19 PM.

If you have time, you can try to get a partially used bottle really cheap on ebay. I got a 90% 4.2 ounce L'Instant for men for $19 total, for example.

Old Spice and Tabac Original

For a fragrance that actually retails for $25 or less, I would suggest Mustang. Itís citrus and lavender over tobacco and woods, and it really is lovely. Itís my favorite inexpensive fragrance, to the point that when deciding what to wear on a day, I come back to it again and again. You can readily find it at discount stores such as Target and Walmart. Target stores often have a tester of it, so you can try it out.

Note that there are apparently two fragrances named Mustang by two different companies. The one Iím talking about is made by a company called Blossom Concepts and comes in a little metal box with the Ford Mustang horse on it. I have read that the fragrance was created by Estee Lauder, but I canít vouch for that. There is also a companion fragrance by the same company named Mustang Blue, but I havenít tried that one.

Rive Gauche
    Body Kouros
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Moschino Uomo?
    Armand Basi Homme

I second the idea of being patient and buying on ebay. I've bought the following for under $30 on ebay:

Guerlain Habit Rouge, Heritage, Shalimar and Vetiver

Dior Homme, Dolce Vita and Eau Fraiche

Hermes Bel Ami, Equipage and Orange Verte

Plus as many have said, Rive Gauche is very inexpensive and pretty darn good.

Royal Copenhagen, Tabac, and mmm mmm...Canoe
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You can find Rive Gauche pour Homme online for < $25.
    Beat me to it!

Grey Flannel, Azzaro PH, and Escada PH are wonderful frags that are widely available for under $25. So is Cabochard, if you're willing to wear a very unisex perfume originally marketed to women.

Among the somewhat more difficult to find, wonderful frags I've picked up (on non-auction sites) online for < $25: Witness, Dunhill for Men, Moustache

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    I shit you not....Perfumania in my town (Eugene, OR), has been trying to unload Rive Gauche PH Gift sets (Case, 4.2 Oz, and body gel) for $15 bucks! The gift sets were recently on sale and went down to $12 for everything.

The girls who work at my Perfumania dont seem to like Rive Gauche PH, and dont sell it very hard. I know them pretty well and they offered me the gift sets at $12 for the first one, and $6 for the seccond.

I now proudly own 8.4 Oz. of RG (and a rapidly shrinking 2.5 oz bottle), purchased for $18....DAMN!

Will I ever use it? No, but for $18 bucks I still feel like a winner.....

Really? Holy cow, Rive Gauche is one of my favorites. I can wear that any day of the year.

Want to go back and pick one up for me?
    - E.J.

ebay ebay ebay, thats all I gotta say, oh and #2 be patient with it. Almost all of my colognes were bought on eBay and I have gotten sick sick deals through it

Welcome bro. www.scentiments.com is a great place online with super cheap prices and excellent customer service, trusted site, too. I use their services all the time.
    Peace ~ Markymark

You could build a wardrobe of 5 or more brilliant 5 star frags under $25:

Work

1. YSL Rive Gauche or Azzaro PH (a fougere)
    2. Guerlain Vetiver (a vetiver)
    3. Caron Third Man (a lavender)

Casual

4. Bvlgari Aqua (aquatic)

Romantic / Clubbing

5. YSL Opium or Body Kouros or Carven Homme or Guerlain L'Instant or Michael Kors (oriental)

plus there's:

Baldessarini
    Burberry London
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box)
    Ungaro III

Really it is crazy how many great frags are cheap. Don't go for the drugstore stuff. I've bought all of these on ebay for <$25. Just buy from a rpeutable seller with high positive feedback and over 200 sales.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I picked up a 100 mL of Azzaro Pour Homme at TJ Maxx for less than $20. Great stuff - very good take on the lavender / oakmoss style.
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Royal Copenhagen, Tabac, and mmm mmm...Canoe
    I agree on all of these. Especially Canoe - it is WONDERFUL.
    I love Jasmine.

As some BNers already stated, do not go for cheap/drug store fragrances with their full price, it's not worth it. And if you decide to go online then be really careful and search for the sellers' reputations before buying anything especially those from Ebay. The market place on this site is also a good place to collect good fragrances for cheap prices but once again pay close attention to the seller's reputation.
    Last edited by jasonx; 3rd June 2009 at 04:37 AM.

From Finland to Sicily, and to the best of my knowledge:
    We can only dream of such low prices as we have to pay almost twice as much for those perfumes mentioned. !n Europe resale price maintenance still rules for brand items, including perfumes, books, and automobiles.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd June 2009 at 05:02 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This thread has brought some of our most celebrated veteran recluses out of their spider holes! Welcome to The Surface gentlemen, good to see you! Shower, spritz up, and please take a seat at the bar.
    My two bits:
    Carven Homme, a tarragon and floral take on the fougere. Late Reagan as reimagined by late Clinton. Givenchy Gentleman, um, what is this stuff? Some say a patch-heavy leather.
    Aramis, a wonderful citrus leather, very of-its-time. Flashback in a bottle for anyone my age with a wild uncle.
    Aramis Tuscany, very wearable rosemary fougere, great bargain.
    Guerlain Coriolan, a green floral masculine with a great immortelle note if you get lucky on the vintage.
    Ralph Lauren Chaps, sort of love this stuff. A natural-smelling patch/kitchen sink fougere. If you love it all your financial worries are over.

AromiErotici

Basile Uomo
    Yatagan
    Ungaro III
    Maxim's PH
    Chevignon
    Carven Homme
    Carlo Corinto

My favorite scent that I've been able to find for such a price is Canali for Men. It has great sunny and warm citrus topnotes, followed by a subtle amber and woods base. Its not overpowering, and its great for someone like me who wears a suit to work everyday and wants something that smells good and is noticeable, but at the same time is sophisticated, subtle, and liked by most of the females with whom I come into contact. I think it pretty much exudes quiet, classy, confidence.,,,,,often much moreso than many more expensive scents.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people"
    "You can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know that I'm mad?"
    "You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."