Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Pour Homme II - Piercing note?

I'm finally testing this again. I tried it once at the store over a year ago and remember liking it at first but then finding "something" wrong with it, but I had so many other scents on my arms it was hard to clarify what.

Now I'm finally giving it a proper wearing and I do really enjoy the topnotes and early midnotes, but find it to be somehow.. piercing. I get the tea (which smells like a well utilized cedar note, but if I play along it smells like tea ), but there is some sweetness behind that note that almost has a sharp quality. I think it is the ozonic note or a sweet musk - maybe even the myrrh note. There is a similar note/quality in MPG's Bois De Turquie but it never gets this sharp and piercing. The audio equivalent would be like a soft but perceptible and constant bit of feedback in the background of an otherwise great album.

Hopefully with another wearing or two this perception will fade or I'll become desensitized ot the note, because otherwise I really like the scent, and it has a lot of my favorite notes that I've never seen combined before (cinnamon, myrrh, violet leaves).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme II - Piercing note?

I want to say the combination of cinnamon, violet, cedar, and possibly even myrhh are creating this sharp, piercing accord, friend. All of those notes have sharp qualities to them, but I'm not very familiar with myrhh.

I have a new idea what it might be. It finally struck me the one other scent that had this same effect on me, and it shares the tobacco leaf note that I am now picking up quite clearly; that scent was Jennifer Lopez's Deseo for men.

I'm almost sure it's that same tobacco leaf note causing problems. It's tobacco-y but also powdery and sharp. Maybe I am just over sensitive to it - but I noted similar observations in my Deseo: Initial Impressions thread (http://community.basenotes.net/showt...eo+impressions)

Taken from that thread:
    "The fragrance actually grows more intense as an almost metallic musk note starts to grow in the background. It's a fairly chaotic mix for a while as you've got the cool minty/orris notes alongside the slightly dirty tobacco leaf note and this metallic musk getting louder and louder - and just as you think it's all going to fall apart, the tobacco leaf nearly disappears and the whole thing quiets down. I don't know if the metallic musk note also faded but in its spot now sits a guaicwood note (which I am quite familiar with the oil of guaicwood - it's a fairly sharp woody note that dries down to smell rather tea like). Perhaps the metallic musk is just the way the synthetic guaicwood smells?"

Maybe I am hyperosmic to that note or some chemical used in the note. I do notice that many of the Deseo reviews complain about it being too sweet, and some Gucci PH II reviews mention teh same thing (one mentioning it having a sharp sweetness). There is a fair bit in common between Deseo and Gucci II, imo. The openings are completely different but the heartnotes are fairly similar.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd June 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I don't like sharp violet but the last time I sampled it, I didn't find anything too sharp about it. It could just be that you were sensitive to it at that time for some reason. I now know never to judge a frag based upon one wearing, unless it just blows me away as totally unwearable.

Perhaps, but I still hold with the idea that the combination of violet, cinnamon, and cedar mingling together are creating it. Some violet notes give me an instant headache, cinnamon is a very sharp spice, and cedar is a sharp wood. All 3 may prove too much for that olfactory bulb of yours.

Actually, if your sensitive to the tobacco leaf in this fashion, those 3 plus this note may be whats doing it for you, as I don't remember GPH2 being overly sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't like sharp violet but the last time I sampled it, I didn't find anything too sharp about it. It could just be that you were sensitive to it at that time for some reason. I now know never to judge a frag based upon one wearing, unless it just blows me away as totally unwearable.
    This is definitely good advice and I try to follow it myself. I do remember having similar thoughts when I first tested it over a year ago, though, so I am afraid my perception of it will not likely change. Prior to retesting it today the one word that stuck in my mind when thinking back on my experience a year ago was "scratchy."

I know you've experienced that sensation before with frags Bigsly. It sucks when underneath that abrasiveness is a scent you like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Perhaps, but I still hold with the idea that the combination of violet, cinnamon, and cedar mingling together are creating it. Some violet notes give me an instant headache, cinnamon is a very sharp spice, and cedar is a sharp wood. All 3 may prove too much for that olfactory bulb of yours.

Actually, if your sensitive to the tobacco leaf in this fashion, those 3 plus this note may be whats doing it for you, as I don't remember GPH2 being overly sharp.
    The weird thing is I can tolerate the violet leaves that send most others running. I love Narciso Rodriguez for Him, I love Grey Flannel (even the opening!). I love cinnamon (L'Anarchiste, Carlos Santana, Adventure, Bois de Turquie). And I've never had a problem with cedar except Iso E Super overloads.

What other designer scents have a prominent tobacco leaf note? In my Deseo review I made a connection between that scent and Ralph Lauren romance, another scent with a prominent tobacco leaf note. Somehow all of these scents have this sharp, piercing, cold and metallic aura to them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've never tried GPHII. Sounds like a mess. The note you describe does sound la lot ike what I smell whenever I try a tobacco scent - a sweet but kind of sharp and sour note that smells a lot like paper. It's pretty unpleasant.

BTW, is there any similarity whatsover b/w GPHII and Gucci Pour Homme? I've never tried II, but I adore the incense notes in GPH. I've been curious about trying GPHII.

Basenotes Institution

I know exactly the sensation you're describing SoS. I experienced it smelled GPHII also. It occurs to me, when I smell Sandale e The by Bois 1920. Not a note per se, but a blend of notes with IMO a healthy dose of aldehydes to really ratchet it up a notch.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've never tried GPHII. Sounds like a mess. The note you describe does sound la lot ike what I smell whenever I try a tobacco scent - a sweet but kind of sharp and sour note that smells a lot like paper. It's pretty unpleasant.

BTW, is there any similarity whatsover b/w GPHII and Gucci Pour Homme? I've never tried II, but I adore the incense notes in GPH. I've been curious about trying GPHII.
    There are no similarities betwen GPH and GPH II, except for the bottle.

I like GPH II. It's like a well-written popsong to me: nice, easy going. It smells expensive, luxurious, slightly formal. Fresh enough to be daywear, and special enough to be evening wear.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I get a link between the two, to be honest, albeit a faint one. The cedary tea note and slightly "sour wood" smell in II does create a link to the original. A weak link, a tenuous link, but a link.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I also know what you're describing but don't know the exact note. You'll probably get used to it, as I did after a few tries. GP2 is really a pretty good designer and infinitely more interesting then GP PH (the new one).

No, there's:

- Gucci pour Homme (brown juice)
    - Gucci pour Homme II (blue juice)
    - Gucci by Gucci pour Homme (grey bottle)

GPH II is my favorite fragrance right now. It has no flaws, none whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    GPH II is my favorite fragrance right now. It has no flaws, none whatsoever.
    Well, a tad more longevity would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Well, a tad more longevity would have been nice.
    I smell it all throughout my work day when I wear it.