Code of Conduct

Thread: New by Kilian's

Default New by Kilian's

Hey guys.

I am in Houston for business for a couple of days and while I was browsing the perfume department of Saks in the Galleria, I found By Kilian. I was talking to the SA about my favs and I was comparing prices between Europe and the US. Anyways while we were talking I asked him about Pure Oud. He said that they will be recieving it June 16 by the latest. Also, it turned out that he had a tester! So yes I got to smell it! Is everyone jealous or was it a unsuccessful attempt? There is one person that I know is who extremely jealous right now haha! Unfortunately, my expectiations were too high, I expected something a little more stronger for Pure Oud. I am really bad at describing frags and denoting notes, but I definitly smelled some out :P and you can tell that it is a by Kilian The SA also said that when Kilian came the other day he said that he wasn't sure how the bottle will be but it'll probably have the same bottle but with a different cap and the name will be on a gold piece of metal rather than the silver.

Also, to make you guys just a little more jealous, I got to smell Back to Black which is the first one to be released in September from the Arabian Nights line. Personally I liked that one a lot more than the Pure Oud, but it's nice to have at least the refills of oud.

Oh yeah, the SA also said that they will recieve Pure Oud on the 16th by the latest so they might actually get them before that. So all you Houston BNers have something to look forward to in the couple of coming weeks.

Bye ya'll!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New by Kilian's

You are the 2nd person that's given a thumbs up to Back to Black. It sounds scrumptious.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Interesting - So Pure Oud isn't limited to a ridiculously small 12 bottles. Did you happen to catch the price on this one?

Interesting! Are these new scents classified as masculine, or unisex?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

the hardest part is I'm a student, and I will not sleep properly without having By Kilians.. and this post makes it even worse, haha
    unico grande amore.

Neoty, Im not sure but I think Pure Oud is priced just like the rest. The limited 12 bottles is just ridiculous as you said it makes not sense to me if they do that and I don't think it's true.

Kess, I don't really know cuz i really never cared whether it was marketed to men or women. I'm guessing though that both of them are unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Interesting - So Pure Oud isn't limited to a ridiculously small 12 bottles. Did you happen to catch the price on this one?
    Cairomerta posted this link on another thread talking about the new by kilians:

http://southcoast.freedomblogging.co...by-saks/12585/

It says: "Arabian Nights will sell for $395 per 1.7 oz. bottle. L’oeuvre Noire will continue to retail for $225 per 1.7 oz. bottle. All are unisex fragrances."

I'm guessing then that Pure Oud as well as Back to Black will be around 400$ a bottle
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 3rd June 2009 at 03:32 PM.

$395 per 1.7oz = retarded
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    $395 per 1.7oz = retarded
    Yeah, I'm Grade A Consumer, but there's no way I'll go that far. At that point, it's just price gouging... at least with things like Homage by Amouage, you feel like you're getting some incredible natural materials.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Yeah, they're expensive...

But anyone who's looked deeply into ouds knows they can be mindbogglingly expensive for the top-quality stuff.

Of course, with By Kilian, a good chunk of the price is the fancy bottles and the refill urns and the hype, but in their defense, it IS natural perfumerie, so you're not paying $260 for 50 cents worth of some petrochemical (you're paying $260 for expensive flower absolutes and natural ambergris and whetever...)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution

Did anyone else notice that Now Smell This reported today that Back to Black is actually named Back To Black Aphrodisiac (supposedly as a homage to Amy Winehouse's second album)? And it's unisex.

Wonder who the perfumer is?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th June 2009 at 07:54 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

It's believable that Amy Winehouse is the inspiration for the new fragrance while keeping in mind Kilian's source for the previous titles- great French poets, called the « poètes maudits » or « cursed poets ».

As far as the perfumer goes - It seems it would be no other than Calice Becker.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Of course, with By Kilian, a good chunk of the price is the fancy bottles and the refill urns and the hype, but in their defense, it IS natural perfumerie, so you're not paying $260 for 50 cents worth of some petrochemical (you're paying $260 for expensive flower absolutes and natural ambergris and whetever...)
    Hmm, i did not know that By Kilian is a natural perfume house. Is that indeed the case?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    It's believable that Amy Winehouse is the inspiration for the new fragrance....
    They tried to make me buy the fragrance and I said "NO, NO, NO"

Ahahaha- Okay, I know that this is a totally pointless post but really LOL at adonis' post!

Ahaha, made my night :P

I need to get out more...

On topic- Im really looking forwards to these new frags,,, Im a Kilian fan.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Hmm, i did not know that By Kilian is a natural perfume house. Is that indeed the case?
    Nope. But they use a good percentage of naturals.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Nope. But they use a good percentage of naturals.
    Perhaps higher than most, but according to the formulas on their site, it's still quite low.

You can check yourself on their website - click on the fragrance then click the "See formula" link

http://www.bykilian.com/

Whatever is listed in grams, move the decimal one place to the left to get the corresponding % it is within the formula (e.g 250g = 25% of the formula). Note that anything listed as "something accord" is likely not natural, or at least mostly not natural (I'd think they'd list any expensive naturals used within an accord separately).

edit: Beyond Love does look like a fairly expensive formula with it being 20% tuberose absolute.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 6th June 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Perhaps higher than most, but according to the formulas on their site, it's still quite low.

You can check yourself on their website - click on the fragrance then click the "See formula" link

http://www.bykilian.com/

Whatever is listed in grams, move the decimal one place to the left to get the corresponding % it is within the formula (e.g 250g = 25% of the formula). Note that anything listed as "something accord" is likely not natural, or at least mostly not natural (I'd think they'd list any expensive naturals used within an accord separately).

edit: Beyond Love does look like a fairly expensive formula with it being 20% tuberose absolute.
    I beg to differ. If you look at Cruel Intentions, the ingredients are 66% natural (if you calculate all ingredients that are not "accords," synthetic "absolutes" or "musk"). Unfortunately, the oud in Cruel Intentions is synthetic though. The other fragrances are more or less the same, with A Taste of Heaven consisting of 78.5% natural ingredients.

Those are pretty good percentages if you ask me.

Edit: Cruel Intentions is actually not 66% but 72.5% natural if you can confirm that the styrax, vanilla, rose and castoreum absolutes are in fact natural. A Taste of Heaven is somewhere in the high 80 to low 90% range if the lavender and lavandin absolutes are in fact natural.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 6th June 2009 at 07:16 PM.

It's just not true unless they have some means to remove the color from the fragrances. Vetiver oil isn't clear. Patchouli oils aren't clear. Tuberose absolute, which supposedly makes up 20% of Beyond Love, is a rather dark orange color.

It's not possible to end up with a clear blend using these ingredients, unless, as I said, there is some way to remove color from the fragrances.

edit: Ok, I've found out that Beyond Love is actually an orange colored fragrance, so there is at least a chance that their formula is honest. I don't understand the Straight to Heaven formula being clear while supposedly utilizing 30% patchouli, though.

And if their formulas are right, then yes, I should retract/revise my earlier statement and say that some of their frags are highly natural. I just sigh when I see things like 250g "cedarwood accord' - which if my nose is trustworthy is primarily (entirely?) iso e super. And the huge doses of white musks in some of these. I suppose most perfume formulas look pretty similar though in regards to the heavy doses of cheap ingredients.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 6th June 2009 at 07:20 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Interesting! Of course, I was going by what a SA told me. Doh!

A Taste of Heaven is the strangest electric green color... The rest of the samples I have aren't fully clear, but have some tint to them.

I'm also going by the behavior of the fragrances on my skin. Natural perfumes just work differently. I usually get less silage, but all-day longevity from just a couple of drops. All the confirmed naturals I've tested work that way - so do the By Kilians, but that could be from a high percentage of naturals as opposed to all-natural.

Nice sleuthing!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The new by Killian Pure Oud smells to me like Armani Bois d' Encens with a bit of M7 oud thrown in. Not as oudy as M7 though. Also smelled a bit like Oud Wood from Tom Ford. It really does not smell like a pure oud oil of any type I've tried. More an incense wood with some agarwood thrown in.

Bergdorf Goodman has a sample bottle at their men's counter now (I sampled it yesterday) and they are expecting to have the fragrance in stock by end of next week. I was a bit under impressed with P.O.

I am in Paris right now and tried the new pure oud. It smells exactly like montales origional oud. This will be a series of 5 scents. Pure oud, pure rose, pure musc, pure amber and pure incensce. It's nice but the price is 290 euro which is almost $400. Same bottle with a gold plate in front. It's nice but not worth that much money.

I went to Saks yesterday before I flew back to Qatar and the SA came up to me and actually gave me a sample of Back to Black in a decant. Made my day

I just received the new Lucky Scent and Aedes de Venustas ads regarding Kilian Back to Black and I for one am very very excited to try this. Anyone who has more info on its development on skin, please write in!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I just received the new Lucky Scent and Aedes de Venustas ads regarding Kilian Back to Black and I for one am very very excited to try this. Anyone who has more info on its development on skin, please write in!
    I ordered a sample yesterday - looking forward to it!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Not sure if it has been mentioned before , By Kilian UK mail order available from Harvey Nicks

http://shop.harveynichols.com/fcp/ca...etFilters=true

i just tried it today at aedes and they gave me a sample as well..too early for me to give my thoughts..but early impressions I like it a lot and smells great for a nice sensual night out
    Last edited by denec; 21st August 2009 at 05:31 PM.