Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 6, 2009 ★★★ CITRUS

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    On the same wavelength as Quarry, I have chosen Malle's Cologne Bigarade. I truly think that if you could make champagne from oranges, it would smell like this. I just love the fizzy rosy hay-y joy of it. I wish it would last a little longer, but maybe a birthday full bottle will fix that. The Bigarade Extreme sadly turns to marmalade on me..
    Ohhhh. You're one of those with sugar skin. Did a side-by-side comparison of some L'Artisans a couple years ago with BNer Kotori, who has very pale skin, and scents did, indeed, smell sweeter on her than on me. Luca Turin says this doesn't happen. Humph!
    🍷 Do less, own less, say "no" more often.
    Currently wearing: Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 6, 2009 ★★★ CITRUS

Busy day yesterday so I didn't have time to post but I, too, wore Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. Only I didn't have as much luck as shadesofbleu - on me this just smells...horrible. I was giving it a second go because I don't want to hate it...but, alas, I still did. It smells very caustic on me, like Method brand grapefruit cleaner. I thought I smelled like a convenience store bathroom all day - this stuff would NOT leave me alone!

lol, here's to my first scrubber! If anyone wants my sample, let me know. Two epic strikes and this one's out.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgrd
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Blog Entries

Ms. Quarry told me if I did a make-up assignment, for missing last month's SnS, she wouldn't make me clean erasers.
    Here you go, double duty Citrus SnS
    As I said at the end of yesterday's review I wonder what would have happened if Ellena or Duchaufour were left alone to design Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. I think in Ellena's case we have the answer to that.

Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree

I grew up next to an orange grove in S. Florida. Much to the chagrin of the grove owner I would spend many an afternoon up in the branches of his trees eating the, literal, fruit of his labors. Sitting up in the high branches of an orange tree with the tropical sun beating down on me, sweaty from climbing and covered in orange pulp and juice. That carried a unique scent for me that I thought I would never experience again as my orange tree climbing days are behind me. Until I had the good fortune to spray Jean-Claude Ellena's 2002 creation for Frederic Malle, Bigarade Concentree. This was a follow-up to his 2001 scent Cologne Bigarade also for Frederic Malle. Bigarade Concentree uses the same four central notes of bitter orange, rose, hay and cedar as Cologne Bigarade but the balance and intensity in Bigarade Concentree makes it a much superior scent. The top starts with the bitter orange but that bitter accord also carries a green, tree sap kind of quality with it too and it smells like the rinds of oranges ripening in the sun. There is a cumin like sweaty accord present here that is not accounted for in the note list. This has a very similar feel to Hermes Eau D'Hermes and as Ellena is a big fan of that scent I have a feeling it was intentional on his part, his homage to that scent. As that begins to fade the very lightest of roses appear and then this is followed by the dried grass note of hay and the clean lines of cedar which in conjunction smell just like the sun-baked branches of an orange tree. Despite having Concentree in the name this is a very light composition and I can see it being very fleeting on some skin types. Thankfully on my skin it lasts and allows an old man to revisit his orange tree climbing days of his youth without fear of injury.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Guest 3

Love the orange tree climbing story, SMM! I've always loved the scent of orange and other citrus rinds, but particularly orange - that scent that is released when your thumbnail pierces the rind and it's sweet, bitter, spicy and - I've always thought - a bit cedar-ish too. So my nostrils quivered a bit when you mentioned cedar in the Bigarade Concentree.

As my p.m. scent I wore Yves Rocher's Rose Absolute to the crawfish boil party (had a load of fun there, which we are paying for this a.m.!). Rose Absolute (as my bottle is labeled for the U.S.) is a lemony/citrussy rose that is truly one of the nicest rose scents I've ever worn. And a full bottle can be had for a bargain basement price. I'm not an expert on rose perfumes, but I think this is a gem. It is long lasting; sweet, floral, fruity, spicy, yet well balanced; modern; friendly & easy to wear. It dries down to a sweet and slightly musky skin scent on me. It's not an old fashioned lace hanky rose, or a rose bomb. It almost seems like a rose-based liqueur to me, with the citrus and a smidge of cinnamon to keep the syrupy sweetness in check. And it wore perfectly on a warm night at a food fest. AND even my husband liked it, and he complains about almost all perfumes.
    Last edited by Guest 3; 7th June 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Ohhhh. You're one of those with sugar skin. Did a side-by-side comparison of some L'Artisans a couple years ago with BNer Kotori, who has very pale skin, and scents did, indeed, smell sweeter on her than on me. Luca Turin says this doesn't happen. Humph!
    I like the idea of sugar skin! Reading SMM's and your review of the Bigarade Concentree made me long to smell it as it should smell, rather than the marmalade that I turn it into.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Very good, Master Metro Man. You may take your seat. Now, don't let me see those comic books come out of your desk until recess.
    🍷 Do less, own less, say "no" more often.
    Currently wearing: Aria di Capri by Carthusia

I didn't get a chance to apply a citrus yesterday, so hopefully I can continue S&S into the rest of the weekend.

Citrus is an under-represented category in my wardrobe (almost non-existent, unless one counts the green tea frags as citrus, which Michael Edwards does). It's a bit weird because one of the few fragrances I liked in the 90s was Calyx. (Hmmm, maybe I have to revisit that one.)

I think the most citrus-y frag I have is Diorella, so I'm happily wearing that. I definitely get a strong hit of lemon off the top, but my favorite part is when the jasmine and other flowers are revealed. There's also something "waxy" about Diorella that I really like as well--I can't find a better way to describe that term, but it's a depth that is really quite lovely.

BTW, very interesting about a connection between "sugar skin" and skin color. I too am pretty fair, and my skin turns things pretty sweet.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. I've been wearing The Different Company's (Divine) Bergamote all weekend. I love this citrus fragrance for its sheerness and warmth. For me, it's truly like the sun in a bottle.

The drydown has a nice light woodsy-ness, but for me this fragrance needs frequent replenishing.
    Last edited by Haunani; 8th June 2009 at 01:10 AM.