Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 3 June

Good morning!

EdPFM En Passant for the third day in a row... must get a 50ml bottle of this when I can afford to buy scents again.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, all!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 3rd June 2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 3 June

freezing cold here. Mitsouko for me today.

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 3 June

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Found an old sample of Gaultier2 - I remember I quite hated it when it came out. Now I'm layering it with a vanilla essential oil and it's not as bad
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Eau de Shalimar today. Nice, citrusy vanilla.

Le Labo's Rose 31

Marketed for men, hmm? Excuse me, this one is mine! Deeply in love.....

Notes (NST): Grasse rose, cumin, pepper, clove, nutmeg, olibanum, cedar, amber, gaïac wood, oudh wood, cistus, vetiver and animalic notes.

The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Apres L'Ondee for another beautiful sunny day here

Rose31 *is* good, no? One of the few roses I can stand to wear. Seems like I need some cumin in my rose to make it palatable.

Today is a bit cast over and cooler, so I needed my Jil Sander Sun.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Good morning all! Today I was in the mood for a smoky vanilla,so I've layered Love's true bluish light with Firewood.Hope it will work out fine

Probably Moschino Couture! for a nice day of running household chores.

Voleur de Roses
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Can we share the Rose 31? Or am I going to have to brave the Dragon's Breath to wear mine next time?

In an offbeat mood this morning for no particular reason when my eyes lighted on the bottle and I said that feels like the right scent for today:

Costume National Scent Intense

Laurent Bruyere designed Costume National Scent Intense in 2002, sadly he passed away at the age of 43 in 2008. Many will likely remember him as the co-designer with Dominique Ropion of Thierry Mugler Alien. I will choose to remember him for his line of perfumes made for Costume National of which Scent Intense is my favorite. When I was early on in my perfume discovery phase I was looking for a different kind of amber. Scent Intense was recommended because it was simple and led to a different kind of amber at the end. That advice was spot on. M. Bruyere uses as his inspiration for the entire Scent line that of hibiscus. Growing up in S. Florida we had many hibiscus growing in our yard and neighborhood. I was dubious that the very delicate sweet scent of these flowers could be captured in a scent. In Scent Intense the top is a smoky tea note with a very delicate floral character to it. The note list identifies it as "jasmine tea" but the usual intense sweetness of jasmine is tamped way down in favor of the tea. It is that supression of the sweet which allows the hibiscus note to float free in the heart of this. This is as I remember hibiscus smelling on a humid morning in my yard. Very delicate and yet unmistakably floral in nature. the tea combines beautifully with this and allows the delicacy of the hibiscus a platform to radiate from and shine. The base is a warm amber which is the appropriate soft landing for this scent. There are some woods off in the distance but the base is really all about the amber, on me. Scent Intense is another of these scented haiku which manage to do with four notes what many other scents fail to do with the kitchen sink.

Have a Wunderbar Wednesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Boucheron Trouble
    Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I'm wearing Ava Luxe Neroli Blossom, purchased from a Basenoter, and which I had forgotten I had. I keep forgetting things I've tucked away - one reason why I shouldn't bother organizing. Neroli Blossom is perfect on this late spring monring. It's sunny and cool, but I think it's going to be another hot one in the 90's F today. Speaking of Florida...I feel like I'm there when I wear this.

Have a good day!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd June 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Top notes: iris, lemon verbena
    Middle notes: violet, vetiver, basil
    Base notes: amber, vanilla, cedar

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AT Reverie au Jardin
    Sounded good at the time.
    An hour or so in & at the office - not so sure
    Wanted the lavendar & getting an overdose of sweetening herbs instead.

Oh well....
    As DN@ used to say when he was little
    "Sometimes these things happen."

Happy hump day everyone!
    ************************************************** ****************************
    I truly believe that with a cape & the right tiara I could save the world.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

My new best friend today: Gendarme!

Last edited by kbe; 3rd June 2009 at 01:04 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Agent Provocateur Maitresse for me today. Was craving a heavier scent though for such a freezing day.

Ahhh so nice,
    BLV Notte
    I fall in love with it
    over and over again
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Blog Entries

L'A Mimosa Pour Moi on this sunny day.

Rose31...love it! I got a chance to try this one thanks to Aiona, it's a winner all the way around if you ask me. Probably my favorite from LeLabo.

Somerville Metro Man, I thoroughly enjoy your commentaries ~ especially the last sentence, I always love the last sentence best! It's your 'trademark'.

My daughter came back home late last night from a vacation in the Bahamas. She brought me a little souvenier that I'll be wearing today. It's Kenzo's 7:15 am in Bali! I'd say it's 'breezy'...citrus, vanilla, orchid...wears lightly, like a body spray.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd June 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Regina Harris Amber Vanilla . Have a very good day !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Jicky. It defies seasons, defies moods, always makes me smile.

What a fine smelling bunch you all are today! I'm enjoying today's fine weather, even though I don't know if I'll have time to get outside and truly enjoy it.

For me, a lovely dark chypre, Tom Ford Moss Breches.

Moss Breches notes (from OsMoz):
    top notes- Tarragon, Rosemary, Clary Sage; heart notes - Beeswax, Fresh Wood, Spices; base notes - Labdanum, Patchouli, Moss, Benzoin.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

This morning's SOTD (SOTM?) is Angel. Something I rarely wear at work, but was in the mood for. I know it's loud, but I'm the boss, so there!

Last night's SOTE was the wonderful Pamplelune. I keep forgetting about this beautiful gem. I think this is a great spring/summer frag. Mouth-watering. Kind of strange that I am such a fan of this, as I am so-so about citruses and esp the AA line in general.

SMM, you wax poetic!

Everybody have a wickedly delicious day!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Very important day today...one of the most important in my life, to be followed by another in 2 days if everything goes as hoped/planned: for good luck and nostalgic comfort, my grandmother's

Vintage Chanel no 5 Eau de Cologne

I miss her
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Nirmala

Rive Gauche here!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

lovethescents, the mysterious celebrant. Hmmmm?

Having a scary good time with my virgin wearing of Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. What itch is this scratching so entertainingly? Liking the Sel de Vetiver-like vibe, a bit disturbed by an anise note. Thanks for the fun, Haunani!

For the first time in over a month I have some real work in my in box. Income would be nice.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

'morning! "Driving" by with a quick hello...

Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia.

Have a wonderful day, all.

Basenotes Institution

My first wearing, from my decant, of Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

Let's just say it is not love-at-first-sniff. I'm giving this time before I comment further.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mahora, arguably Guerlain's biggest flub. Has it sneaked back as the boutique Mayotte?

Mahora is one strong scent, matching the likes of Youth Dew in potency. It's the fragrance equivalent to being blinded by the sun, suddenly and without warning. There is nothing subtle about it.

If you didn't know otherwise, you'd never guess this was a Guerlain. How Guerlain came to create this nearly offensive tropical is one of the great mysteries of modern perfumery. Were they innovating, and, if not, whose idea of paradise were they chasing? It always struck me as a take on Fracas, due to the large amount of base vetiver, but Mahora is oily and greener. The extensive use of tuberose highlights how difficult that material can be to render in a pleasing way; while I love the dry Fracas, I cannot stand the sweet Versace Blonde. Mahora is somewhere in between these two, with jasmine added. It's very sharp and neither the tuberose nor the frangipani does anything to quiet the sharpness down.

If, after several hours, you aren't exhausted by this tropical holiday in a bottle, you will be rewarded with a...slightly mellower version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Can we share the Rose 31? Or am I going to have to brave the Dragon's Breath to wear mine next time?
    Don't you worry, I am completely harmless when it comes to sharing the beauty of Rose 31

Micallef's Night Aoud
    For the afternoon and evening

:: Decant, but the bottle looked much better::

Lovely warm darkness

The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Gap Heaven.

Agent P, I've been thinking about revisiting Blu Notte again. I used up a samp of it a few years back and just never got around to buying it. Anyhoo, you smell good!

Hugs to you and prayers for you, lovethescents!

Take care today, everyone.

Hi all! Lovethescents, you have us all dying to know what is going on. Best wishes, whatever it is!

Quarry, glad to hear you're having an interesting experience. Let me know what happens with the Fleurs de Sel drydown. On me, it just gets better and better. And I get compliments, too, which always startles me.

Earlier this morning I sampled Sycomore, thanks to a lovely BN enabler. Sadly, it is just too dry-woody-masculine for me. But nice, no doubt about it! I have switched to Shaal Nur for the rest of the day.

Armani Code Pour Homme
    Gary

Chanel No 19 parfum for me today.
    It's perfect for today's spring-time weather.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

FENDI
    (Donna, 1985 Original)

Good afternoon all.

Lovethescents, good luck with whatever is transpiring in your life these few days.

Once again I have time-traveled to the future (now) from my real existence in the 1950's (which seems to be where I am most comfortable scent-wise)

I am in vintage Variations by Carven, all floral and soft and fresh. Not even close to the disaster it has become through one-too-many re-orchestrations.

Love and hugs to all
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Tommy Bahama Cologne for Men.

Makes me feel as if I'm on vacation.

"You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

lovethescents, I hope all goes well for you!
    SOTD is Guerlain's With Love for my last PTO meeting as president. That scent is a perfect meeting-type scent- present, but unobtrusive, it makes me feel alert and feminine.
    Inspired by Orion's description, I am going to wear Guerlain's Mayotte/Mahora from a sample I have not opened up yet. Should be a fun ride.

Wearing Ava Luxe Heart of Glass today (tuberose nut that I am) and I must say it is a great alternative to the very expensive Carnal Flower. I've sampled so many tuberose frags and this comes as close as I've found in the search for a Carnal Flower replacement. It works for me anyway. It took a much smaller chunk out of my wallet as well. When my kids grow up I may step into more expensive perfume waters but for now I must think of them and their needs. So far the most I've spent on a bottle was $150 for Fifi Chachnil-a gift from my husband for Mother's Day. Besides being less expensive, I adore Serena (Ava Luxe, she's so nice) and I have loved every perfume I've gotten from her. I think she has a fan for life here in me. Madame X just about knocked my socks off it was so good! My super picky husband loved it, and several people stopped me to ask what I was wearing and wrote down her website information and the name of the perfume. Can't beat that for a reaction, now can you?

This morning I wore Jardin de Bagatelle by Guerlain.

This evening have switched to Jo Malone's Honeysuckle and Jasmine, for no reason other than it was the only one I have downstairs, and after a brutal class at the gym, I can't face the stairs yet!

Scent twins with dimples in Chanel No. 19 parfum

Don't you all smell lovely !

I'm late, due to early rising and out / about.
    If I don't do it before it's too warm, I regret it later !
    [Plus, there are LOTS of babies and puppies about on early sojourns-
    My absolute favorite !]

Went to bed in Min uit by DSH- an incredible spicy deep scent- it has hazelnut, silver fir, carnation, labdanum.
    Started out in Lizzie's Moroccan Orange- a gorgeous thing.
    Then, my back-ordered YR Naturelle finally showed up-
    the bottle is exquisitely done; the scent- a very soft edt with a light musky base, very delicate and subtle.
    Although there is lemon, cedar, jasmine, tagetes, and bergamot- it's not in the LEAST strident or zippy, as one might think.
    Think 'floaty'....

A scent word....
    Tucked away from sight, I found a tester of the new EL Jasmine /Moss Private Collection, which I tried....

Oh, boy !
    At first, very retro-smelling; then, a bit of 'decaying vegetation' note-
    Not unlike a Diorella-like divine decay.

Now, it might NOT do that for everyone-
    But I'm just fascinated and thrilled...
    Asked my SA to PLEEZ call as soon as it was available.
    Smitten.

May the remains of the day be kind...

Oh, now I don't remember who it was that went to Spamalot - but anyway - I loved it too & even got the sound track Find your graiiiiiiiiiiiiil! (Maybe we should do Perfumista, the musical).

Wore Coco from a sample today... still undecided about whether I want to re-visit it properly. I wore it so extensively for a couple of years back in the day. No bad memories, but just perhaps wore it to death.

Continuing my Guerlain week with Shalimar EdT -- I had sprayed it here and there, but never gave it a full-day's wearing.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Ormonde Jayne Woman again today from a rapidly depleting sample. I am so very fond of this one. My baby girl loves it too, I'm sure I get more and longer cuddles from her when I wear this.

Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Very busy these days, had no time to post!

This morning I was wearing White Jasmin & Mint - J.M. at the office.
    After the first hour, when the fresh notes went away, I liked the way it transformed on my skin.
    I needed something stronger for the evening, especially after the visit to my doctor who insisted on so many tests that I will have to pay more than 1,000 euro...

A cold beer and
    Fiore d' Ambra.
    Last edited by *dora*; 3rd June 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Basenotes Institution

SoTA - Jicky !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Hey Nukapai, that was me at Spamalot last night! I'd loved it too!

Stellastar, I love Jardins de Bagatelle! Every time I see someone wearing it, I want another bottle!

I'm waiting on the carpet cleaners this afternoon. I hope they show up soon as half the furniture in my house is sitting on the back porch.

It's a bit warm today so I thought I'd try Beyond Paradise. I think it needs to be a bit warmer.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Hey Nukapai, that was me at Spamalot last night! I'd loved it too!
    :toppie:

SOTE Stella Rose Absolute

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    Ormonde Jayne Woman again today from a rapidly depleting sample. I am so very fond of this one. My baby girl loves it too, I'm sure I get more and longer cuddles from her when I wear this.
    So very sweet and touching!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quarry, Brielle, Goldie, Sunnyfunny, Haunani, thank you for your supportive comments! All went very well today. God-willing, we'll be given good news on tomorrow as well. throughout it all I got whiffs of that vintage Chanel which made me feel my grandmother all around me. I think I'll be loyal to that Chanel over the next few weeks!

Fendi
    UOMO

Victoria's Secret 88 today. I'm sad this is discontinued. I thought I'd found the perfect replacement for it in Givenchy's Organza Indecence, but though I love OI just as much, and it is arguably the better scent, it just has a slightly different vibe. The VS is sexier.

Have a great evening everyone!

Lovethescents-
    It sounds like a momentous event; do we pray to St Gerard Majella, perhaps ???

Sounds like your grandmother is enveloping you...
    I'll add my prayers for a good outcome.