Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 3 June

Today's SOTD is my first test of Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique

"Calling all cars! Calling all cars!"

"What happened?"

"There's been a murder down at the mall! The victim was walking by one of those cheap candle stores, eating pound after pound of cotton candy when he was bludgeoned by a giant orange spice candle."

"Oh No!"

"But then, to cover the crime, the perpetrator poured gallons of vanilla pudding over the victim."

"Vanilla pudding?!"

"Yes, with rum and cinnamon. But there's no escaping the orange spice candle smell, or the cotton candy."

"Wow, that truly is un crime exotique..."
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

An oldie but, today, incredibly good!

From 'Perfume Intelligence': Created in 1958 by Bernard Chant of IFF. The title, translated from french means; wilful, pig-headed, independent.

( Now me; Remember, this was the 1950's! Pretty cool stuff, IMO.)

This is a feminine leathery chypre.

Top Notes: clary sage, tarragon, galbanum,

Heart Notes: jasmine, ginger lily, rose, ylang-ylang

Base Notes: oak moss, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd June 2009 at 11:39 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    L: "Calling all cars! Calling all cars!"
    R: "What happened?"
    L: "There's been a murder down at the mall! The victim was walking by one of those cheap candle stores, eating pound after pound of cotton candy when he was bludgeoned by a giant orange spice candle."
    R: "Oh No!"
    L: "But then, to cover the crime, the perpetrator poured gallons of vanilla pudding over the victim."
    R: "Vanilla pudding?!"
    L: "Yes, with rum and cinnamon. But there's no escaping the orange spice candle smell, or the cotton candy."
    R: "Wow, that truly is un crime exotique..."
    You made me hear the voices of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. Say, rogalal, your wouldn't happen to be Daniel Palladino?
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd June 2009 at 11:00 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Lovethescents-
    It sounds like a momentous event; do we pray to St Gerard Majella, perhaps ???

Sounds like your grandmother is enveloping you...
    I'll add my prayers for a good outcome.
    Chaya, you perceptive bird, perhaps, perhaps, but not quite yet.....
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Today's SOTD is my first test of Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique

"Calling all cars! Calling all cars!"

"What happened?"

"There's been a murder down at the mall! The victim was walking by one of those cheap candle stores, eating pound after pound of cotton candy when he was bludgeoned by a giant orange spice candle."

"Oh No!"

"But then, to cover the crime, the perpetrator poured gallons of vanilla pudding over the victim."

"Vanilla pudding?!"

"Yes, with rum and cinnamon. But there's no escaping the orange spice candle smell, or the cotton candy."

"Wow, that truly is un crime exotique..."
    That's one way of describing it! I just loooooooooooooove it
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

sote:
    María Carolina Josefina Pacanins y Niño
    212 SEXY MEN

I heard on the radio that today is Josephine Baker's birthday. In honour of that glamorous lady, I dug into the BN vaults for an entry I posted a while ago.
    Blowing the dust off...

I came across a blog which spoke of the "best woman's chypre that could be worn by a man" and it was Guerlain's Sous les Vent. That intrigued me. I love dry chypres immensely. This is a limited edition sort of scent, so I had to bide my time. Eventually I was in Toronto at the Guerlain boutique. I had such nice service there, that was the first time I'd been in an exclusive boutique. I got a chair, mineral water, exclusive consultation... I felt like a king! I asked after the SLV and by great good fortune they had a bottle. Someone had ordered two bottles and then had decided not to buy them. So that bottle obviously was destined for me, or I for it. I love it, it is an excellent dry-aromatic green scent, kind of haunting and elusive.
    It was created in tribute to Josephine Baker, a famous Afro-American dancer in Paris in the 1920's. The scents reminded the perfumer of the Leeward Islands.
    That world and character is totally different from me. And yet in perfume all those worlds combine when I spritz it on. Life is amazing.

And an update on this post. Dimples went to the same shop not long after, and bought the other bottle! I just found this out when I met Dimples in Ottawa! Small world.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

How cool, Odysseum. You are a fountain of knowledge. I love Sous les Vent! & Josephine Baker was da Bomb! She was so talented and beautiful and broke racial barriers. She helped to form the realization that all people are entitled to be accepted and appreciated.

Josephine Baker
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th June 2009 at 12:34 AM.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Max Mara today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Finishing up the day in Eau de Patou pour Homme. Delish!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

My Sote.....Diesel Fuel For Life Summer Pour Homme
    Gary

Aww, I did not know about Josephine Baker's B-day--I am not even sure I have a sample of Vent Vert! What an excellent theme for a party or SSD, though

rogalal--hilarious. I hope I can ask with a straight face, "So, it is a gourmand?"

SotD was Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, and SotE is Reminisce Patchouli Elixir from my new bottle!

I'm so in love with VS's So In Love. I use to only wear this in the winter, but I've been wearing alot of my winter frags in the summer months. It's not too bad either.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

Hi all,

I'm glad my silly review managed to get a chuckle out of a couple of you. Asha, Crime Exotique is described (by people more in-the-know than me) as a mix of gingerbread and tea. I personally couldn't get past the cotton candy and orange spice candle in the top, but there was a point in the middle where I did smell tea (but with cotton candy and an orange spice candle, still). So, by definition, it's a gourmand, though not in the usual vanilla/amber/sandalwood base kind of way...

Anyway, with a dull evening ahead of me, I went shopping!

So, my SOTE is a bunch of tests:

Left wrist: Le Labo Bergamot 22.

The first 2 or 3 hours were mostly a green forest scent, complete with moss, with a tiny, tiny touch of bergamot brightening the top a bit. As the night progressed, the bergamot has strengthened, while the forest has died down. Oddly, this works way better than it sounds like it should...

Left arm: My second try of Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur.

This time, I'm getting more mint and less geranium. Aside from an awkward point in the beginning, the mint + green leaves mostly comes off as a refreshing tea (this same kind of mix is the main point of Barneys' Route De The Pour Homme, but it has tobacco in it, too). I'm not getting the rose geranium or anise I got last time. And I'm still not completely sold - it's getting sour on me somehow...

Right Arm: Fantastic Man, brand spanking new frag with a cheezy name from Byredo.

Spicy, woody, a tad musky, a touch of incense. Classic in its inspirations but still very "now." I get non-sweaty cumin, bark - probably cedar, fragrant wood furniture, sap, someone burning incense while camping in the woods. I could see this becoming a basenotes favorite with the fans of this sort of thing. Kind of a more wearable Dzongka or a less artificial CdG incense series. Worth checking out again...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??