Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Fragrances

I'm new to tobacco fragrances, and I have two questions I hope you can answer for me:

1. Do "tobacco" fragrances contain oils from actual tobacco, or is it merely a tobacco-like accord created with non-tobacco ingredients? e.g., I've read that Maurer & Wirtz' Tabac Original does not contain any actual tobacco ingredients.

2. I finally found a tobacco fragrance I actually like: Creed's original vintage Tabarome. I was lucky enough to score a 2.5 oz. tester recently (and no, it's not the Millesime, it's the vintage - I've smelled both fragrances and know the difference), but I know Creed has discontinued it, or made it available only by contacting O. Creed, or some other nonsense. I know this bottle won't last forever, and I'm not going to fly to Paris to get a new one, so I'm wondering if there's another tobacco fragrance out there that is similar to the Creed that I can purchase, knowing I'll run out of the Creed one day and may want to "replace" it.

Default Re: Tobacco Fragrances

From what I've read, not only does Tabac not contain any tobacco ingredients, it also doesn't smell like tobacco at all.

As to the rest, I wish I could help, but I'm completely unfamiliar with any version of Tabarome.

EDIT: too late does the appropriate line come to mind. That was a perfect opportunity to say Tabac smells almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tobacco.
    Last edited by TromboneGuy; 4th June 2009 at 02:59 AM.
    - E.J.

I have also been looking for a substitute for Vintage Tabarome. Maxim's Pour Homme is the closest I have found. MpH has been discontinued but it is still easily (and inexpensively) available online.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 5th June 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Jazz Prestige is one to try.

Good question i was always curious that myself

I always thought if if they did you would smell like cigarette smoke no? I know when I spray Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille it does not smell like cigarettes

I have a concoction that is disgusting, vile, horrible. It is made of musk, patchouly, frankincense and cedar. When I wore it, it triggered questions as to if I were using some sort of tobacco-based oil that, according to those near me, it was not good nor bad, just tobacco.

I always thought that "tobacco" in terms of scents was rather an industry construct, for the tobacco used in the tobacco industry is always enriched with essences.
    Last edited by Pollux; 4th June 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Umm I like Versace Dreamer coz the tobacco smells sweet and ambery. And lasts all day too.

My favorite tabacco frag--indeed, my only tobacco frag--is Fumerie Turque, which is wonderful, but only in cooler weather. In hot weather, the dry down goes on forever and one eventually ends up smelling a bit like an ashtray.

Blog Entries

I've found 3 or 4 very different kinds of tobacco.

The kind I love is the pipe tobacco kind, like smelling a pouch of fresh pipe tobacco. It's usually kind of "clovey." My favorite examples: Tobacco Vanille, Chanel Allure Homme, Hermessence Amber Narguille.

The kind a lot of people like is cigar tobacco, the smell of a fresh cigar. Best example: Aramis Havanna. I think C&S Cuba is supposed to be this, too, but I'm not sure.

My personal least favorite is dry tobacco leaf - like the smell of a just-opened pack of cigarettes. It's more of a woody smell that I personally think smells kind of like a wet paper bag, but many people love. The cult favorite example for this is People Of The Labyrinths Luctor Et Emergo, but there are many others that better-informed people here can name.

I just wish I had smelled the original old Tabarome to know which kind it has! But I hope this helps...

EDIT: ps. PhinClio, that avatar is hilarious!
    Last edited by rogalal; 5th June 2009 at 05:21 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

When I sampled Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac a while ago I thought that it smelled a lot like Vintage Tabarôme.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

scents with prominent feel of dry tobacco leaf are...

Niche: Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Designer: Versace Dreamer
    Discontinued: Aramis Havana/havana reserva
    really affordable at the same time top qualty: Montana Ph (the one tht comes in red box and not the blue one)

Blog Entries

I bought Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels at TJ Maxx for $14,99. It has a long tobacco drydown on paper. The radiance is very good 24 hours after I sprayed it. I think the tobacco is closer to cigarette smoke than tobacco shop, but softened by something. I don't like being around smokers but I'm enjoying this one. BtW, the opening is sharp, close to Grey Flanel. I think some reviewers described it as a softer member of the green family.

AromiErotici

Fuilles de Tabac is probably the most "realistic" one I wear. Not overpowering for an EDP and it also goes pretty well for layering if you desire to add a tobacco direction to another linear scent.

I can't speak to its authenticity--I can't even say it reminds me of tobacco--but I am very fond of Miller Harris' Feuilles de Tabac. The base is warm and I like that a lot.

Another thumbs up for Feuilles de Tabac...I wear this one a lot. Very high quality, it lasts a long time and radiates a warm aura, for me it's one of those scents that make you feel like you have a warm blanket wrapped around you. Can't compare it to Tabarome though (I've never tried it).
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Another thumbs up for Feuilles de Tabac...I wear this one a lot. Very high quality, it lasts a long time and radiates a warm aura, for me it's one of those scents that make you feel like you have a warm blanket wrapped around you. Can't compare it to Tabarome though (I've never tried it).
    May I go one step further? How about the equivalent of an olfactory sedative? Sometimes a fragrance is just magic.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I've found 3 or 4 very different kinds of tobacco.

The kind I love is the pipe tobacco kind, like smelling a pouch of fresh pipe tobacco. It's usually kind of "clovey." My favorite examples: Tobacco Vanille, Chanel Allure Homme, Hermessence Amber Narguille.

The kind a lot of people like is cigar tobacco, the smell of a fresh cigar. Best example: Aramis Havanna. I think C&S Cuba is supposed to be this, too, but I'm not sure.

My personal least favorite is dry tobacco leaf - like the smell of a just-opened pack of cigarettes. It's more of a woody smell that I personally think smells kind of like a wet paper bag, but many people love. The cult favorite example for this is People Of The Labyrinths Luctor Et Emergo, but there are many others that better-informed people here can name.

I just wish I had smelled the original old Tabarome to know which kind it has! But I hope this helps...

EDIT: ps. PhinClio, that avatar is hilarious!
    I would add a category: tobacco flower, which is very different from the rest. Fresh does a great take on this floral tobacco note in their Tobacco Flower.

I have The Dreamer and like it a lot. Also have owned Tabac Blond and currently own and wear Havana, which I find more spicy than "tobaccoey". Tabac Blond was wonderful but too much for me to wear earlier in my fragrance hobby.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Another thumbs up for Feuilles de Tabac...I wear this one a lot. Very high quality, it lasts a long time and radiates a warm aura, for me it's one of those scents that make you feel like you have a warm blanket wrapped around you.
    Count this up-pointed thumb too.

For tobacco leaf, Versace Man is quite good. I actually prefer its better-balanced compostion to V's The Dreamer.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!