Code of Conduct

Default Shalimar Eau de Cologne question

What is that concentration? Is it different in notes/longevity from either EdT or EdP?

Thanks!

Here's an image

For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Shalimar Eau de Cologne question

Yes, it is different than the EdT and EdP (and parfum).

It is lighter, slightly easier to wear. The bergamot in the top notes might take some getting used to, it's very musty smelling and put me off to it the first time I smelled it (I love it now!). In addition, the EdC dries down to a more powdery base note. Even still, I tend to avoid powdery scents, but I like Shalimar EdC. The bottle you've pictured is a 'newer' bottle and while this is the one I own, I highly recommend you try buying a vintage bottle (prior to the Guerlain LVMH reformulations). You can spot a vintage bottle by the box (a black and white zigzag print) and/or the bottle (a round bottle with the arrow topped cap). Nonetheless, if you cannot source or find vintage EdC, the new will work beautifully.

In addition, you should try Shalimar Eau Legere, a more lemony and brighter version of Shalimar. Or for that matter, Habit Rouge - vintage Eau de Cologne also.

Good luck!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I found the EdC too "synthetic" and swapped it off. The light version (Shalimar Light) doesn't have this, and I like it better all around.

I have this and I looove it! Its surprisingly long lasting for a cologne, but then I think Guerlain colognes are outstanding anyway.

Thanks for the responses!

Mike, is the 'difficult' bergamot opening similar to that in L'heur Bleu? I had found the top quite soapy (I assume it's the bergamot) and it lasted a good hour for me, which made L'heur Bleu difficult for me to enjoy (although I liked the later part).
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

Mike, is the 'difficult' bergamot opening similar to that in L'heur Bleu? I had found the top quite soapy (I assume it's the bergamot) and it lasted a good hour for me, which made L'heur Bleu difficult for me to enjoy (although I liked the later part).
    Well, Kess, they do both have bergamot in the top notes however LHB has aniseed also. I don't think the effect of the bergamot is soapy, though.

What formula of LHB did you try - the Eau de Toilette (my least favorite one)?

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, not sure what version I tried -- it was a hand-made sample.

In general, I think I perceive more 'soap' in fragrances that others do. For example, C&S No 88 was all soap to me.

PS -- if the opening is not 'soapy', what makes it difficult for you?
    Last edited by kess; 4th June 2009 at 03:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Mike, not sure what version I tried -- it was a hand-made sample.

In general, I think I perceive more 'soap' in fragrances that others do. For example, C&S No 88 was all soap to me.

PS -- if the opening is not 'soapy', what makes it difficult for you?
    No. 88 is soapy, Kess. I know what you mean.

I think the difficulty of the top notes in Shalimar, were the parts of it now that I have come to love: lemon and bergamot at the top, come charging out, with a dusty and animalic feel to both of them. I had never really smelled anything like that before - the first olfactory impression I had was: an animal soaked in powder. Really. But then, of course, the florals (jasmine and rose) arrive and lift it and then comes the kicker: the vanilla and iris and incense and oppopnax...and who knows what else, and then it becomes a little slice of heaven.

If you ever smell the EdP be prepared for even MORE of an animalic presence when you first spray it on. I remember smelling it the first time, walking around sniffing my wrist...thinking to myself: This came out in 1925! OMG. So ahead of its time. Women must've been shocked by this fragrance when it came out. It does f*ck around. It's not pretty or trying to portray itself as frilly or dainty. It's downright sensual. Voluptuous! Every single oriental fragrance, all the biggies (Opium, Cinnabar, Obsession) would never have been made, had it not been for Shalimar.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th June 2009 at 04:13 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

I would like to collect examples of people's individual sensitivities, like Kess's for soap. (And either Mike is also more sensitive than usual to soap or I'm less sensitive. I don't get any soap at all in No. 88.) Have you any idea where such a thread should be?

Thanks.

Roughly what is the age of Shalimar which comes in these type of bottles?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    Roughly what is the age of Shalimar which comes in these type of bottles?
    The box is more indicative of the age, more so than the bottle.

My bottle of EdC looks exactly like the one pictured above, however my box is the gold leafed one that looks like this: http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P959103.jpg

I believe the box/bottle pictured above came after my box (Mr. Guerlain, or anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong) and my box is from the early 2000's.

-- Jack Kerouac